CAGcast #283: RAM JAM

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Shipwreck buys a PC with RAM, Wombat tells Cheapy to stop being a dick, and Cheapy continues to be a dick.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]192[/podcast]
Download - 74 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Nightcall - Kavinsky (Dustin N'Guyen Remix) / Dragon's Lair

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

[quote name='Clarke']This is the most cringe worthy episodes I've listened to in a while. I'm still scratching my head as to why both Cheapy and Shipwreck are buying new computers. Their current ones are more than sufficient for the games they want to play and they could easily bootcamp into Windows if need be.

Shipwreck stated he doesn't know much about Diablo and he has played .2 hours of Torchlight on Steam, so this decision seems quite impulsive to me. For their sake I feel it would have been better for them to splurge on something they won't let gather dust after a month. If the living room situation for Cheapy was really that big of a deal he should have gotten a high end Macbook and the same goes for Shipwreck if he wasn't satisfied with his current computer.[/QUOTE]

Here are my answers! I don't want to install bootcamp and Windows on my MacBook Pro because I use it for pretty much everything from video editing to writing to media serving and I don't want to make a second partition and install Windows on my primary machine.

The reason I played .2 hours of Torchlight on Steam was because it kept freezing up in the first town when I tried playing it. So I just waited for the XBLA version and played 12 hours of it there. I wanted to give PC gaming an honest shot and although it was a bit of an impulse buy, I wanted a dedicated gaming device to do that.

[quote name='Clarke']This is the most cringe worthy episodes I've listened to in a while. I'm still scratching my head as to why both Cheapy and Shipwreck are buying new computers. Their current ones are more than sufficient for the games they want to play and they could easily bootcamp into Windows if need be.

Shipwreck stated he doesn't know much about Diablo and he has played .2 hours of Torchlight on Steam, so this decision seems quite impulsive to me. For their sake I feel it would have been better for them to splurge on something they won't let gather dust after a month. If the living room situation for Cheapy was really that big of a deal he should have gotten a high end Macbook and the same goes for Shipwreck if he wasn't satisfied with his current computer.[/QUOTE]

What's cringeworthy is you insisting that Macbooks are the solution. There's nothing wrong with Cheapy and Shipwreck using their own money to buy dedicated gaming PCs to play games on now, and for years to come.

Cheapy said he'll play any game with slow motion shooting, but did he play Vanquish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dD2OdhUzI

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've had poor experiences with performance under OSX. Apple's drivers are very poor. When I had a Macbook Pro (mid 2007 2.4ghz with 8600gt), I still wanted to boot camp into windows for Starcraft 2 just so I could have the settings higher. Yes, you can boot camp into windows, but that is kind of a hassle. Especially if you intend to continue using OSX for the majority if your computing.

I'm glad Cheapy and Ship are making the effort to give PC gaming a shot. It's always been a big gap in the cagcast.

Anyway! Wombat: Thanks for reading my comment about DOTA haha. I realize now that I should have said that Awesomenauts is a side scrolling DOTA, not simply a 2d DOTA. Normal DOTA has 2D gameplay too, just from an isometric perspective.

Great podcast so far! I'm about halfway through it.

With that title, I was expecting the opening song to be some sort of Black Betty remix. Missed opportunities.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times: why does conversation about gaming PCs always include talk of a $2000+ rig? I get it, the desire for the newest and best, combined with the funding to build such a computer is hard to resist; however, when I build a new PC every couple years, I spend about $500-600 for every part and can run anything I throw at it with ease. It's a frustrating myth about PC gamers, a lot of us aren't that extravagant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't they use a dehumidifier or something in the stadium, instead of blowing the AC full burn. Unless it's an expensive scheme to force people to buy overpriced sweatshirts.

[quote name='shipwreck']Here are my answers! I don't want to install bootcamp and Windows on my MacBook Pro because I use it for pretty much everything from video editing to writing to media serving and I don't want to make a second partition and install Windows on my primary machine.

The reason I played .2 hours of Torchlight on Steam was because it kept freezing up in the first town when I tried playing it. So I just waited for the XBLA version and played 12 hours of it there. I wanted to give PC gaming an honest shot and although it was a bit of an impulse buy, I wanted a dedicated gaming device to do that.[/QUOTE]

Just because you can afford to buy a dedicated gaming PC doesn't give you the right to buy one on a whim.

[quote name='Curufinwe']What's cringeworthy is you insisting that Macbooks are the solution. There's nothing wrong with Cheapy and Shipwreck using their own money to buy dedicated gaming PCs to play games on now, and for years to come.

Cheapy said he'll play any game with slow motion shooting, but did he play Vanquish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dD2OdhUzI[/QUOTE]

That's a great reccommendation.... This game has the BEST Train level of any game EVER! [in my opinion]

No urge for mod gaming Ship? That's one of the few reasons I would want to get into PC gaming. Some of what I hear sounds absolutely crazy and better than anything most games themselves put into it.

[quote name='4thHorseman']No urge for mod gaming Ship? That's one of the few reasons I would want to get into PC gaming. Some of what I hear sounds absolutely crazy and better than anything most games themselves put into it.[/QUOTE]

He'll come around.

Shipwreck do you collect Sectaurs? I have a few even the one that has the battery operated flapping wings,

I was surprised that Wombat didn't yell out Kazoo or Gazoo.

Ship is an engineer so he'll get into mods eventually. He just hasn't tasted it yet.

[quote name='Thomas96']Just because you can afford to buy a dedicated gaming PC doesn't give you the right to buy one on a whim.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it does just that. Money can be exchanged for goods or services.

[quote name='Thomas96']Just because you can afford to buy a dedicated gaming PC doesn't give you the right to buy one on a whim.[/QUOTE]

Get a load of this guy.

I really don't get why some of you are hating on Cheapy and Ship wanting to buy ridiculous PCs if they can afford it. Especially since they haven't done so before. I don't see Shipwreck doing something like this, but if Cheapy decided to drop $2K every year or two for a new PC, then the complaints would make sense. But for now, whats to say he won't keep that computer for years to come?

I think it's hilarious that people were always so mad that PC games were glossed over in this show, and now that they are buying gaming PCs, everyone is mad at them.

By the way, I could be wrong, but cant Diablo 3 be played on Mac?

I'll forget about the past when neither one of you were interested in PC Gaming, specifically talking about it for more than 1 minute. So Ship, I am hoping to hear reviews/previews on PC games now.

Cheapie demanding Wombat explain RAM. Twilight zone!!!

RAM ... is just volatile storage. Turn the power off and your lose whatever you had stored in RAM.

Unlike a hard drive which permanently stores the data and programs.

Difference is RAM is way way way faster. That's why computers have RAM.

Show Notes
16:00 Show feedback
21:00 CoD on Vita
23:00 Diablo III
24:45 Max Payne 3
26:00 Dorf on Battleship
29:30 Game of Thrones
30:15 Akai Katana
31:00 Sonic Episode 2
31:45 Jam Live Music Arcade (?)
34:00 PixelJunk 4am
34:30 Dragon's Lair XBL
40:30 E3
49:45 Activision/Infinity Ward 'Project Icebreaker'
52:45 Lost Planet
54:15 38 Studios/Rhode Island
60:00 Devil's Third / Itagaki
62:00 Darkness II
62:15 Cagbag

Wow... wtf does that mean ? I guess Cheapy and Shipwreck needed to join some underground club first ?

[quote name='jm2u']Actually, I think it does just that. Money can be exchanged for goods or services.[/QUOTE]

8394c6e6.png.650x650_q85.png

[quote name='Rollett']Wow... wtf does that mean ? I guess Cheapy and Shipwreck needed to join some underground club first ?[/QUOTE]

They need to get their "Elitist Prick" internet license first.

Ha. True. You mofos definitely have Mexican-American listeners. I know, I am one.

[quote name='mrx001']People were more offended by Shipwreck buying a gaming PC than Cheapy being a f'en racist.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that Cheapy and Ship are diving into PC gaming. It's always been glossed over in the CAGcast, so it'll be cool to see PC games get some attention from time to time. You guys should definitely check out some of the indie bundle deals now that you have new rigs! There are some gems to be found in them.

[quote name='polly']Every time I hear the word DOTA I want to stab a puppy. What a stupid meaningless term.[/QUOTE]
How about moba?

[quote name='mrx001']How about moba?[/QUOTE]

I'm a card carrying member of the Metro Omaha Builders Association.

Has Wombat ever heard of ballbusting? Sure, Cheapy was being a dick, but wombat does the same thing sometimes (jumps on him for saying something stupid, makes fun of him for crying at movies/games). its just what certain kinds of buddies do. it just gets awkward when wombat bitches bout being teased like a preteen. Learn to roll with the punches and chill out.

CheapyD being a dick was amazing. Wombat getting caught with his pants down needs to happen more often. He needs to learn to admit when he is wrong, or worse; lying.

Have fun at E3, guys.

[quote name='yobak3r']Has Wombat ever heard of ballbusting?.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that means what you think it does......

I kid.

[quote name='yobak3r']Has Wombat ever heard of ballbusting? Sure, Cheapy was being a dick, but wombat does the same thing sometimes (jumps on him for saying something stupid, makes fun of him for crying at movies/games). its just what certain kinds of buddies do. it just gets awkward when wombat bitches bout being teased like a preteen. Learn to roll with the punches and chill out.[/QUOTE]

I thought I took his busting quite well.

bread's done
Back