[DEAD] Because We May Upcoming Indie Game Sale (Direct, iOS, Mac, Android, Steam)

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
"Because We May is the name of a new indie campaign lowering the prices of some big name games later this month.
The aim is to celebrate developers being able to control the prices of their games - lowering them on a whim, like now, if they so please.
The Because We May campaign runs from Thursday, 24th May to Friday, 1st June." -Source

Because We May Home Page - http://www.becausewemay.com/

List of Participating Games:

Direct from publisher (DRM Free)
48 Chambers
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Braid
Cogs
Darwinia
DEFCON
Dino Run SE
Eets
Eufloria
Frozen Synapse
Frozen Synapse Soundtrack Edition
Holiday Bonus
Lugaru HD
Multiwinia
NyxQuest
Osmos
Scoregasm
Spring Bonus
SWIFT*SWITCH
Swords & Soldiers
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Uplink
Vessel
World of Goo (win/mac/linux)

iOS (iPhone, iPad) via iTunes Store
Bloktonik
Canabalt
Cogs
EDGE
EDGE Extended
Eliss
Eufloria HD
Great Little War Game
Holiday Bonus
Iceburgers
Kard Combat
Osmos
Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition
Rebuild
SAMURAI II: Vengeance
Scrap Metal
Skullpogo
Smiles (+HD)
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (+HD)
Spirits
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (+Micro)
Swords and Soldiers (+HD)
Toki Tori (+HD)
Trainyard
Waking Mars
World of Goo (+HD)
Zen Bound 2

Mac via App Store
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Bean's Quest
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
CAVE STORY
Cogs
Darwinia
DeathSpank
DeathSpank: The Baconing
DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
Dino Run SE
EDGE
Holiday Bonus
Lugaru HD
Osmos
Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode One
Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode Two
Pro Zombie Soccer
Psychonauts
Puzzlejuice
RUSH
SAMURAI II: Vengeance
Scoregasm
Spirits
Spring Bonus
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Toki Tori
Uplink
World of Goo
Zen Bound 2

Android games via Google Play Store
Aftermath XHD
Afternoon World Trip
All my enemies
All my enemies Revenge
Anomaly Warzone Earth HD
Anticlon
Apparatus
Apsis
Babylonian Twins Premium
Bag It!
Basics for Toddlers
Bean\'s Quest
Biosweeper
Bit Beast
Blue Planet: Earth
Bugs Race
Canabalt HD
Car Tracks
Cogs
Coins
Crowded Space
Denki Blocks! Deluxe
EDGE
EDGE Extended
Excit
Fieldrunners HD
GBikes
Gear Genius
Gloomy Dungeons 3D
Great Fleet Battles Admiral\'s Edition
Great Little War Game
Ground Effect Pro HD
Grow
Gunman Clive
Hard Lines HD
Holiday Bonus
Holiday Bonus HD
I have never
Invaders!
IronShip
Juggle! HD
Kraut Attack
Kunundrum
Little Stars for Little Wars 2
MapMaster - Geography game
MegaFarkle HD
MegaYatzy
MegaYatzy HD
Mimic Circus
Mixt HD
Mobile Montessori
Navy Wars
Osmos
Pancakes!!!
Patience
Play with Sammy
PolarStorm HD
Princess Nuriko
Pro Zombie Soccer
Rebuild
Riptide GP
Scroll Lock
Sentinel 3: Homeworld
SHADOWGUN
Skullpogo
Smiles
Smiles HD
Smuggle Truck
Snuggle Truck
Spectral Souls
Spectral Souls (JP)
Spell Breath
Spirited Heart
Spirit HD
Star Fighter
Star Sloth
Sudoku Fighters Pro
Swords and Soldiers
The Chicken Bandit
The Lost Smileys
These Robotic Hearts of Mine
TileStorm Eire HD
TileStorm HD
Train Conductor 2: USA
UPSAT: You Probably Suck At This
Urth
Virustroids
Whale Trail
Words for Kids
Words in Bed
World of Goo
X-Plane 9
Zen Bound 2
Zombie Skeet

Games via Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all of those Steam games, the ones I don't own in some form or another is

Vessel
Metal Drift
Stacking
Nyx Quest
Lugaru HD
Rush
Q.U.B.E.

The only one I would probably buy if the price was right was Stacking and Maybe Q.U.B.E.

Still a good list of games.

[quote name='Smashbro29']Not sure if its a good deal YET. But thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

True. We don't know how much the games will be dropped by. I would hope by 75% since they are digital copies, but this does appear to be developer-controlled pricing and they might not feel the same way. =\

[quote name='tylerh1701']I really like the name of the sale. I didn't know developers could set their own prices on Steam.[/QUOTE]

As a rule I believe this is the case, although there may be some lower limits (I remember seeing something in the forums not long ago where the Killing Floor dev actually wanted a lower "daily deal" price than Valve would allow).

The Binding of Isaac's Wrath of the Lamb expansion comes out on the 28th. This is a good chance to get an 8-dollar game for less.

The expansion itself costs $3.

prices aren't up yet but there are a ton of good games on there (Psychonauts, Braid, Super Meat Boy, The Biding of Isaac, Deathspank The Baconing) I will be picking up a few of them for sure

The prices are the attraction you narcissistic weirdos. How about you ANNOUNCE IT AS YOU ARE CUTTING THE PRICES

Why pre-hype?

[quote name='tylerh1701']I really like the name of the sale. I didn't know developers could set their own prices on Steam.[/QUOTE]
Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Steam not only sets the prices to the same rates but advertised it on the front page.

some of the games from "Direct" list are live as well, here are some I noticed:

Rochard $10
Avadon The Black Fortress $5
Frozen Synapse $12.50
NyxQuest $3
Space Madness $2
Darwininia $5
Multiwinia $5
Uplink $5
DEFCON $5
Scoregasm $3

[quote name='LazyTriangle']some of the games from "Direct" list are live as well, here are some I noticed:

Rochard $10
Avadon The Black Fortress $5
Frozen Synapse $12.50
NyxQuest $3
Space Madness $2
Darwininia $5
Multiwinia $5
Uplink $5
DEFCON $5
Scoregasm $3[/QUOTE]

If those are the prices they are touting as deals.......

I'm pretty sure the Rochard discount hasn't gone live yet.. The full price was always $10. I think there's a typo for the full price on the Because We May site.

All of the sale prices are now listed on the site, but we'll probably have to wait until around 1 PM EST for the Steam prices to be in effect. I was wrong about Rochard, the DRM-free version is "discounted" to $10 while the Steam version is $5 lol. I guess some of the developers are having fun with the prices.

I'm interested in Vessel and QUBE, but 9.99 and 7.49 for them respectively does not seem like a good enough discount. I'll wait for the Summer Sale.

I'm down for several of the games in the Steam list including Super Meat Boy, Braid, and Bit.Trip.Runner...and maybe Cave Story+.

But when will these deals become active and through what platform will they be distributed? When I click on the games on the Because We May website it just sends me to the Steam website where the prices are still the same. Will these switch over at 1pm EST like Steam daily deals? Will the prices drop on Steam itself or will I need to buy the games through the Because We May website and then receive codes, similar to the way the IndieRoyal bundles work?

Thanks, and I'm sure that if I just wait my questions will be answered.

So it seems like this one might be better dubbed Because We May Wait For A Better Deal From A Bundle Or Steam Summer Sale.

That said, I might grabbed Frayed Knights. It never goes on sale.

[quote name='Motoki']So it seems like this one might be better dubbed Because We May Wait For A Better Deal From A Bundle Or Steam Summer Sale.

That said, I might grabbed Frayed Knights. It never goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't surprise me if Frayed Knights is in one of the next few Indie Royale bundles or something, they include a lot of Desura games.

The only thing that interests me so far is Defender's Quest for $2.99. The rest of everything on the direct list I either have or the price is just too high. Bummer since I was hoping to help a friend who's just getting into PC gaming grab a few good indie games.

[quote name='sunghost']Wouldn't surprise me if Frayed Knights is in one of the next few Indie Royale bundles or something, they include a lot of Desura games.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of niche-y. Royale tends to lean to old retro arcade style shooters. Also way back I asked the dev about the possibility of it being in the bundle and he didn't seem too interested but who things can change so who knows?

I'm still kind of betting on no and since it's not on Steam, Desura is pretty sparse with its sales and the dev only marked it down one other time that I know of and that was in very limited quantities, I may just bite on it anyhow.

So Vertex Dispenser on Steam was normally $9.99, and the sale price is...$15.01.

Awesome sale.

And Super Office Stress went from $3 to $99.99. Any developer that raises their price to something ridiculous to make fun of a bundle will never get my support. Why even participate in the event if you're going to be a prick about it? On his website, he says "Why so high? Because we may!" And he acts like it's awesome on his Twitter feed. Complete douche.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad many people here share my sentiment towards this sale. This was a great opportunity to shift CAGly eyes away from the Steam Summer Sale. Unfortunately, these "sale" prices are hardly competitive.

I was so, so ready to grab Q.U.B.E. for $5. But as others are saying, $7.50 is a little rich for my blood with the Summer Sale so close--especially if, like the last Winter Sale, it allows us to get games for free via achievements and such.

[quote name='mokmoof']I was so, so ready to grab Q.U.B.E. for $5. But as others are saying, $7.50 is a little rich for my blood with the Summer Sale so close--especially if, like the last Winter Sale, it allows us to get games for free via achievements and such.[/QUOTE]
At the risk of sounding immature, I believe you mean "get coupons."

Looks like just Aftermath XHD on Android for me. $2.99 is as cheap as I've seen it. Like everyone else though, I'm pretty disappointed overall.

EDIT: Think I'll pick up Riptide, Pro Zombie Soccer and All My Enemies Revenge for Android as well.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']At the risk of sounding immature, I believe you mean "get coupons."[/QUOTE]

Or exploit the shit out of it and get games.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Or exploit the shit out of it and get games.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I didn't exploit anything. I just traded a lot. (Thanks, people who wanted coal!) Ended up getting about a dozen games for no-pennies.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Or exploit the shit out of it and get games.[/QUOTE]
In all honesty, as terrible as the coupons were, I did get Hydrophobia [for free] amid all that mess. The rest of my coupons were given away or allowed to expire and vanish. However, I know other CAG's had much, much better luck making use of their coupons, getting some games for really low prices.

Oh, TentCat, you keep me rational.

EDIT: Oh, Mr. Moof, you had to remind me of the coal, didn't you? I had forgotten that part of the debacle, wherein I crafted mine for another extremely poor Valve coupon (22% Off, I believe.). I should have traded, but I wanted to craft at least one group of them. A poor choice, I admit.

grumble100607.jpg

[quote name='Blade']So it seems like Sos Sosowski, the guy who made Super Office Stress, is just a complete douche. $99.99 for his shitty game "because we may" seems like the complete antithesis of your website. He runs his own website and gets to freely change the price of his game as he sees fit already, and I'd consider his actions a slap in the face to the event if I were you. Why not just remove that garbage from the site? I would, just saying.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Because We May hosts']this is sale is meant to spread the word that developers should have the freedom to set their own price. it would be silly to prevent someone from raising their price. if you don't like the game or the price, simply don't buy it :) [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade']That's fair enough, but developers with direct download websites already have that freedom. To offer a 3333% increase in price on a game when the developer already has the freedom to set his own price makes the wrong statement to your consumers.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm edgy or cool enough to understand this whole event. :roll:

I haven't had a chance to look through the entire list of games and sale prices yet, but I appreciate the sentiment of the sale. I'm sure there are a few in the entire list that could be worth it.

Thinking of getting Fieldrunners for Android. The pricing is weird though - on the BWM site, it says normally $3, now $1. When you go to Google Play, though, it says $2.

[quote name='Crazyhowie']I haven't had a chance to look through the entire list of games and sale prices yet, but I appreciate the sentiment of the sale. I'm sure there are a few in the entire list that could be worth it.[/QUOTE]
That's certainly the most diplomatic and optimistic way to put it.

I still won't buy anything in this "sale," but I still applaud the levity.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']The PC/Steam prices are not impressive, but the iOS ones are great. I've bought 5 games for $5 so far, and I don't think I'm done yet.[/QUOTE]
Indeed! A whole bunch of the iOS games are straight-up free.

bread's done
Back