Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Vol. 3 through 7 - Under $50 each

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
FUNimation's and Walmart's online stores apparently have leftover copies of Dragon Box Volumes 3 and 4.

DBox Vol. 3 from Walmart - $31.96
DBox Vol. 3 from FUNimation - $44.99
DBox Vol. 4 from FUNimation - $44.99

FUNi's store offers free shipping (though they charge state tax). It took me roughly a week for my order of Vol. 4 to process and then ship out, but it's worth the wait since these two are out of print and tend to be overcharged to high hell by resellers.

Walmart also has Boxes 5, 6 and 7 for $29.96. So far, the cheapest place to get the last three sets (Amazon charges $31.93, RightStuf $35.99 and FUNi $44.99). Can't help with Vol. 1 and 2, though. Those are completely gone.

I'm afraid I've never understood all the hoopla over the dragon box sets. if you don't mind losing the filler episodes, aren't the DBZ Kai sets significantly better?

[quote name='Backlash2332x']I'm afraid I've never understood all the hoopla over the dragon box sets. if you don't mind losing the filler episodes, aren't the DBZ Kai sets significantly better?[/QUOTE]

Kai ends right after cell saga, so if you're a fan of the last saga, you're out of luck there.

Does FUNimation usually do reprints? What are the odds that this is a reprint and not some leftover stock from a distributor? The Wal-Mart restock of box 3 makes me wonder if I should wait for box 4 to pop up in other places, too.

[quote name='Killbreed']Kai ends right after cell saga, so if you're a fan of the last saga, you're out of luck there.[/QUOTE]

oh wow. I didn't realize that had been confirmed. luckily, the buu saga and all that was one of my least favorite.

Is this the best way to get DBZ? There's SO many versions of it now, like Level 1.1, DBZ Kai, etc etc but I've heard those have been continued. So is the Dragon Box the best quality to get?

[quote name='SativaSam']Is this the best way to get DBZ? There's SO many versions of it now, like Level 1.1, DBZ Kai, etc etc but I've heard those have been continued. So is the Dragon Box the best quality to get?[/QUOTE]

Not 100% on this, but I believe Dragon Box are proper transfer done in Japan. And I don't think they include English music/dubs. If you're very picky than these will work and are at great prices since these things were always crazy expensive. I think people have said these will be the best quality. Though I feel any will be ok. Even the Funi orange box version which is widescreen and has some cut offs and other slight issues.

If you want it like it was shown on Cartoon Network, the orange funi boxes will be best bet, even with the small cutoff from top and bottom (it really isn't as bad as some say).

Overall video quality is better on Dragon Box sets.. But they don't include the music from English dubs (which I felt was better, but subtitle/japanese dub purists will always disagree).

[quote name='SativaSam']Is this the best way to get DBZ? There's SO many versions of it now, like Level 1.1, DBZ Kai, etc etc but I've heard those have been continued. So is the Dragon Box the best quality to get?[/QUOTE]

The Dragon Boxes are considered for "Hardcore Fans" really. The box even says so really lol. To be serious though, the remastering process applied to the Dragon Boxes are considered vastly superior to the other releases yet as a total complete package, it does lack the English dub music score that was created for the American TV runs. Question you ask yourself is whether you care or not? If not, go for these since these present the full 291 episode TV series as "it was meant to be seen."

To be precise: The Dragon Boxes are mainly targeted for fans of the original, Japanese version, as this is more or less a localized set of releases of the two sets Japan got. On top of getting the proper remastered footage Japan got, you get it with subtitles and the Dragon Books 100% translated AND in a much more affordable release (Japan had to pay roughly $2k for the entire release spread into two box sets, whereas paying retail price for the 7 boxes was around $500).

What you don't get that Japan did get were the Goku and Piccolo collectible figures. What you also don't get is the American scored music. Not only was it because of the nature of the box sets, but also to keep from adding on too much to the discs that could muddle the video quality. Though keep in mind, the English dub in the Dragon Boxes is the exact same dub with audio from between 1999 to the late 2000s redubs, so expect the voice work to be all over the place and the (awful) dialogue to remain the same.

Also keep in mind that the DVDs automatically start with the Japanese voices, not the English ones. Honestly, I would recommend either going with the Dragon Boxes or Dragon Ball Z Kai if you want the most authentic ways of seeing the series.

I was just wondering which way is the best to view it in terms of quality. Obviously the blu-rays would probably have been the best option had they not canceled those releases, so I guess the Dragon Boxes are the best full-length release option quality wise.

I can't even recommend the orange brick boxes anymore, the quality of them just isn't that good once you've tasted the Dragon Boxes.

I wish the Blu Rays weren't cancelled, I probably would've bought the series for a 3rd time if they did them in bigger boxes, the quality is amazing on the ones released, plus they include the dub music (which is way better than the Japanese music).

If you're just starting out buying these though and your goal is to watch the entire series, that's pretty much impossible unless you're willing to pay hundreds to get the ones that aren't sold at retail anymore.

So in that respect, I'd have to recommend the orange box seasons, at least as substitutes in between the Dragon Box seasons you're buying. I personally went from Dragon Box one, and watches the rest trough the orange bricks and didn't feel cheated in any way, but other people hate them to death.

Been a huge DBZ fan. Remember watching DBZ in the early 1990's on VHS Japanese/ English Subtitle. (A friend was able to obtain it)

When they release DBZ in the US on cartoon network, that was a big disappointment.

Is the Dragon Box a remastered like the ones I still have on VHS?

I only see Kai and Orange Box at Best Buy, but never knew what the differences are.

Basic I want DBZ that was like On VHS. Is the translation/voice better than the Cartoon Network?

Thanks op! I was going to sell my Box 1-3 (still have 2 and 3 unopened) since I never thought I would get 4. I'll pick up 5-7 later from Amazon since they are like $32 a piece with no tax and still readily available.

[quote name='The Punisher']Been a huge DBZ fan. Remember watching DBZ in the early 1990's on VHS Japanese/ English Subtitle. (A friend was able to obtain it)

When they release DBZ in the US on cartoon network, that was a big disappointment.

Is the Dragon Box a remastered like the ones I still have on VHS?

I only see Kai and Orange Box at Best Buy, but never knew what the differences are.

Basic I want DBZ that was like On VHS. Is the translation/voice better than the Cartoon Network?[/QUOTE]
As I noted earlier, the Dragon Boxes are targeted for fans of the Japanese version. The dub included on that is still the same awfully acted and written one that appeared on TV and previous DVD releases of Z.

If you want a proper English dub of the series, Kai is the way to watch it. It's basically Z with a majority of the filler cut out and a dub that finally sticks mostly to the original script, doesn't have Chris Sabat as half the cast and gave the rest of the cast a better opportunity to dub the series properly after years of voice work (and better voice direction). The major downside is that Kai ends with the Cell saga, so no Majin Boo saga at all.

I've been waiting on a good deal for box 7. If Amazon matches the price I'll pick it up. Last box I need.
Didn't Funi say there will be an 8th box for the movies?

They're working with Toei to get something worked out on being able to release the other Dragon Boxes. They did say a couple of years ago that they have the Dragon Box for the movies, but nothing's come of that as of yet.

I thought blu-ray.com said that DBZ was going to be redone again in bluray format but in the normal series, not shortened like Kai?

[quote name='jedimario']I thought blu-ray.com said that DBZ was going to be redone again in bluray format but in the normal series, not shortened like Kai?[/QUOTE]

Last I heard that was cancelled due to it not being cost effective.

[quote name='Puppet Master']Last I heard that was cancelled due to it not being cost effective.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, sorry about that. You are correct it appears Dragonball Z Level 1.3+ have been postponed indefinitely.

[quote name='jedimario']Ahh, sorry about that. You are correct it appears Dragonball Z Level 1.3+ have been postponed indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

No reason to apologize man just trying to help.:cool:

I am happy with the Orange Box Sets cause 1. Have the Entire DBZ Collection for the first time ever and 2. Since even though 3-7 are cheap now, 1 and 2 are still expensive.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']I am happy with the Orange Box Sets cause 1. Have the Entire DBZ Collection for the first time ever and 2. Since even though 3-7 are cheap now, 1 and 2 are still expensive.[/QUOTE]

Only problem I have with the Orange Boxes is that it takes up a ton of shelf space. I saw some half season sets in regular cases at Walmart (which can easily condense to a regular size 6-disc case), though.

[quote name='perdition(troy']have 2, 3, 5, 6 sealed and watched opened #1...trying to decide if I should sell them off or pick up 4 and 7 to finish off the set...[/QUOTE]
I had to make that same decision not too long ago. I had Box 1 opened in like new condition, and 2, 3, 4 sealed. I decided to sell. The only Dragon Ball I really like rewatching is the original series. I loved Z as a kid, but now Kai would probably be more to my liking. Box 2 sealed goes for a lot (and fast) on eBay. Box 1, even opened, goes for a good amount. The rest seem hard to sell (I'm still trying to sell Box 3).

[quote name='Sluga']If anyone is selling Dragonball z dragon box vol 2, im willing to buy.[/QUOTE]

I have box 2 still sealed. Pm me an offer if still looking to buy it.

And holy shit. Recent completed auctions range from 250 to 300ish for still sealed copies. Hello eBay unless someone here wants to pay me that much ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Sorry, I was not thinking when I posted first.

So I have two questions:
1) Would anyone recommend the Dragon Boxes over the orange bricks for the Great Saiyaman Saga? I have all of Kai and seasons 8 and 9 of the orange boxes and I am trying to figure out which would be better to complete the collection.

2) If you recommend the Dragon Box, which one covers the Saiyaman Saga? Is it 5 or would it be 5 & 6? EDIT AGAIN: It would just be Box 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jedimario']EDIT: Sorry, I was not thinking when I posted first.

So I have two questions:
1) Would anyone recommend the Dragon Boxes over the orange bricks for the Great Saiyaman Saga? I have all of Kai and seasons 8 and 9 of the orange boxes and I am trying to figure out which would be better to complete the collection.

2) If you recommend the Dragon Box, which one covers the Saiyaman Saga? Is it 5 or would it be 5 & 6? EDIT AGAIN: It would just be Box 5.[/QUOTE]

1) I would recommend the Dragon Boxes over those dam blasted, spawn of evil ,hatchet job of orange fuck bricks, but thats just my personal preference :lol:. It really comes down to your personal preference and what your willing to pay.

2) Yeah if I remember correctly it Box 5 covers the end of the cell saga and the Great Saiyaman Saga. The remaining two boxes cover the rest of the non-Kai stuff.

Lets all act we DON'T know how much VOL. 2 cost....

Just kidding, we all know it goes for about $200+ alone

[quote name='JoKu']Lets all act we DON'T know how much VOL. 2 cost....

Just kidding, we all know it goes for about $200+ alone[/QUOTE]

:O I have a sealed copy and had no idea how much it went for!

The orange box releases are for those who just want to own the show at a cheap price, don't care about extras, are indifferent at best about the Japanese version, don't care about horrible cover art, and don't mind the fullscreen-to-widescreen transfer.

The Dragon Boxes are for those who love the show and want a pristine transfer, love the Japanese version, and want extras.

Addotionally, Walmart has Seasons 1-8 of the orange boxes in 2-packs for $35.

[quote name='Ed_']:O I have a sealed copy and had no idea how much it went for![/QUOTE]

Its the most coveted one out of all them, I think anybody that is here and has knowledge about these knows that. I cannot begin to tell you why its in that INSANE price range...but it is, has been for awhile now.

You'd think VOL 1 would be the most?

[quote name='JoKu']Its the most coveted one out of all them, I think anybody that is here and has knowledge about these knows that. I cannot begin to tell you why its in that INSANE price range...but it is, has been for awhile now.

You'd think VOL 1 would be the most?[/QUOTE]

In all fairness it's fair to assume Box 1 got the largest print, and they would base the printings for the following sets based on sales of the original... that's just my assumption anyway, I honestly don't get why #2 is so rare/expensive (do people just love the Vegeta art that much? Or maybe just the Namek saga in general...)

Anyways, I can't watch the orange bricks anymore after owning the Dragon Boxes, I never thought I would say that, I need to sell my Orange ones before they become worthless, but I love the American music way more than the Japanese...

Totally picked up Box 1 and Box 2, including shipping, for $59 total. I like having an in for a small trade-in company. I'll probably get Box 3 next week for around $20 ish.

My younger sister is into DBZ from watching some of the episodes at her friend's house and apparently the Kai stuff too, which she said she doesn't like. I've been pretty out of touch with Anime since I was in high school (like..13 years ago), but I was really into some of it back then, especially DBZ which we watched on fansubbed VHS tapes we traded over the internet. I had only really seen maybe 15 actual episodes, but I saw all the movies. I remember passing by and seeing the seasons, the orange ones you guys complain about lol, at Best Buy one day and thought that would be a really good gift for her. Her Bday is near Christmas and I'd really like to actually watch all the seasons myself. Anyways, my point is, I saw that they have all the seasons on DVD, but I had a question on what to get....

I know for a fact she doesn't like the Kai stuff and I'm not dropping a few hundred bucks on individual seasons with these Dragon Box sets, so I figured I'd pick up the orange ones. I see that they go for like $25 a piece, but as someone posted earlier they have combo sets on Walmat.com for $30. Are these the exact same thing?

They should be if they're anything like the rest of the bundles from Wal-Mart. Usually they're individual releases just saran-wrapped with a new sku. They might be the weird ones where there is one outside slip cover for the two sets, though. Not sure.

You can get most of the orange ones cheaper on Amazon I believe. If you live anywhere on the eastern part of the US, check locations of a store called BuyBacks. You can get them cheap there too, provided they have them.

$35 actually, and it's simply the same orange boxes with an extra slipcover holding them together. Walmart does this a lot for their TV shows.

[quote name='DNukem170']$35 actually, and it's simply the same orange boxes with an extra slipcover holding them together. Walmart does this a lot for their TV shows.[/QUOTE]

Oh I was looking at 3 & 4 which is $30. I see 7 & 8 at $35 now. Regardless, that's still a lot cheaper than getting them individually. Though, maybe another stupid question, but is it just those two individual seasons boxes just packaged together for that price? Or is it one box with both seasons in it which would make it look out of place next to all the other individual seasons?

[quote name='gldoorii']Oh I was looking at 3 & 4 which is $30. I see 7 & 8 at $35 now. Regardless, that's still a lot cheaper than getting them individually. Though, maybe another stupid question, but is it just those two individual seasons boxes just packaged together for that price? Or is it one box with both seasons in it which would make it look out of place next to all the other individual seasons?[/QUOTE]

If it's like the one I saw, it'd look out of place. There's one slip cover that the two fold-out cases "slip" into, as opposed to each fold-out having their own. I was pretty sure that was at Wal-Mart when I saw it.

IF I were to start my dragonball z collection, should I get the dragonbox, kai or the reg sets ?
I've only seen a few episodes of kai.

[quote name='squishface']IF I were to start my dragonball z collection, should I get the dragonbox, kai or the reg sets ?
I've only seen a few episodes of kai.[/QUOTE]

The way my sister described them was that the Kai episodes have filler taken out and it's not the complete show nor does it actually complete the entire series itself. She said the seasons (orange boxes) are the show, but in a remastered widescreen format and that the Dragon Boxes are the original show in full screen format. That's how I remember watching it when I was a kid and would love to get the Dragon Boxes, but I really don't wanna pay a couple hundred bucks each for the first few seasons. I see the rest of the seasons for the dbox are under $50.

That's why I think I'll go for the widescreen one. It's cheaper and it's the full show. Yes, it's cropped, but personally I don't have the funds to buy the dbox sets. If you do, then go for it cause that's how the show was originally shown.

[quote name='Grammar Police']If it's like the one I saw, it'd look out of place. There's one slip cover that the two fold-out cases "slip" into, as opposed to each fold-out having their own. I was pretty sure that was at Wal-Mart when I saw it.[/QUOTE]

I am not positive since I bought them individually, but if you take all the Orange boxes and line them up without a slipcover, the spines form a picture of Shenron.

As for the guy wondering what to start with, it depends. The Orange boxes are cheap, but they have video edits (picture is bright and has been cropped to widescreen) but it is fine if you just want the show. Kai is a recut of the original show to get rid of the filler. It is a great show, but some hardcore fans believe they cut out too much. It also covers the first 3 main sagas (Saiyan, Freeza, and Cell) while skipping the base breaking Buy saga. The dub of Kai is also a redub sticking closer to the original Japanese version without some of the rewrites the original dub had. The Dragon Box is the way to go for the original series, but it obviously is a bit pricey now. FUNi was releasing the original series on blu-ray, but had to stop after the 2nd release.

bread's done
Back