Asura's Wrath $30 at Target B&M (til 6/2)

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
found from NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474213&page=3

o98sB.jpg

I think for PS3 too but I don't think it's 100% confirmed

[quote name='david69']Is it a fun game? Would you recommend it for $30?[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing that this game is a short, but fun game. Lots of insane stuff happening in the game. I think I'm in for $30, though the wife won't like that I'm buying this and Dragon's Dogma in the same week. Also, keep in mind that the "true ending" of the game is DLC, apparently.

[quote name='chair_home']I've been hearing that this game is a short, but fun game. Lots of insane stuff happening in the game. I think I'm in for $30, though the wife won't like that I'm buying this and Dragon's Dogma in the same week. Also, keep in mind that the "true ending" of the game is DLC, apparently.[/QUOTE]

wait, what? The true ending is DLC only? Whered you hear that? If thats the case I may just get this game used. I dont want to support a developer pulling crap like that. If its not true then im not sure if i should jump in now or wait a bit more for the 20 dollar sweet spot. The demo was interesting so its a change of pace.

BTW anyone know if the ps3 or 360 version has any graphical or performance advantages? I dont see any head 2 heads out there

Tempting... I don't mind waiting until it hits $19.99 though since it's just going to be sitting around my backlog for months anyway.

[quote name='Kenshindono']wait, what? The true ending is DLC only? Whered you hear that? If thats the case I may just get this game used. I dont want to support a developer pulling crap like that. If its not true then im not sure if i should jump in now or wait a bit more for the 20 dollar sweet spot. The demo was interesting so its a change of pace.

BTW anyone know if the ps3 or 360 version has any graphical or performance advantages? I dont see any head 2 heads out there[/QUOTE]
Just google "Capcom Backlash", and enjoy.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Capcom-Will-Abandon-On-Disk-DLC-after-Fan-Backlash-269777.shtml

[quote name='Kenshindono']wait, what? The true ending is DLC only? Whered you hear that? If thats the case I may just get this game used. I dont want to support a developer pulling crap like that. If its not true then im not sure if i should jump in now or wait a bit more for the 20 dollar sweet spot. The demo was interesting so its a change of pace.

BTW anyone know if the ps3 or 360 version has any graphical or performance advantages? I dont see any head 2 heads out there[/QUOTE]

I literally just finished over the weekend, so here's what I know.

First time through the game will end. There's a couple things that aren't wrapped up, so when you finish, there's a little scene that says "Play through again to get the TRUE ENDING". So basically just S rank 5 missions which aren't hard to do, and you get the True Ending.

Problem is, the true ending then leaves it open to the DLC which is the TRUE TRUE ending which I didn't play. From what I heard, it does make for the best ending, but it's also kind of lousy that it's DLC and not in the game. Though the endings themselves in the game aren't bad really (the non-DLC true ending is just another minute or so attached to the end), it just doesn't wrap everything up like it should.

As for the game itself, it's a fun game. I was engrossed and beat it all in one day, two sittings. It's hard to call it a "game" exactly as it's mostly quick-time cutscenes. But it is definately one of the most epic games I have ever played in terms of story and how easily I was drawn to the story and characters. And the action in it is amazing.

I couldn't find any good comparisons so I'm going with whatever controller is more comfortable. And regarding the DLC, it is a little shady to have the "true ending" be DLC, but I have no context to base it off of. I am in the camp that I didn't really care that SFxT had characters locked to the disc, since the game had a great number of characters at the beginning and warranted its price tag. Getting AW for $30 and getting the DLC sounds like it'll be worth it for me.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Tempting... I don't mind waiting until it hits $19.99 though since it's just going to be sitting around my backlog for months anyway.[/QUOTE]

I expected it to be $20 by now :whistle2:(. Its strange that this is the lowest I've seen it ever. I'm getting it now though since it seems to be pretty short and easy to play in quick installments, meaning I can get through it quickly between games.

loved this game. true ending is on a 4 episode dlc pack. plus theres ryu and akuma dlc and then 2 anime episode dlcs. if ur getting this for 30, then the dlc shouldnt be an issue with theepisodes costing only 2 bucks each and then the ending pack which is 8 i believe. if u feel like being cheap, just watch the dlc pack on utube. i started playing naruto ultimate ninja storm 2 and thought the music was similar..then realized cyberconnect 2 made it as well. asuras wrath is awesome for people that dont wanna invest too much time in one sitting. 360 port has slightly better color/sharpness, but nothing drastic. i went ps3 for the sake of being more comfortable with the controller in these tyoes of games.

There's a "true" ending if you get 5 or more "S" ranks in the chapters, without any DLC at all. They may have added more epilogue chapters, but I haven't played the game for a while.

I played the PS3 version to completion, but it was a mess of screen tearing, and sometimes the framerate dropped so hard I missed some of the button prompts. For a game that is about 50-60% QTE's this is a deal breaker. Since it runs on Unreal engine, I would definitely go 360.

guess its ymmv then cuz im on ps3 and i havent had any of those issues.

[quote name='FatherChesz']There's a "true" ending if you get 5 or more "S" ranks in the chapters, without any DLC at all. They may have added more epilogue chapters, but I haven't played the game for a while.

I played the PS3 version to completion, but it was a mess of screen tearing, and sometimes the framerate dropped so hard I missed some of the button prompts. For a game that is about 50-60% QTE's this is a deal breaker. Since it runs on Unreal engine, I would definitely go 360.[/QUOTE]

Yesssss!!!!! At last a price drop! I'll confirm in Plymouth, PA in a hour. I've been waiting forever!

If this is not YMMV, thanks OP!

[quote name='g13']Yesssss!!!!! At last a price drop! I'll confirm in Plymouth, PA in a hour. I've been waiting forever!

If this is not YMMV, thanks OP![/QUOTE]

It's not, I saw it at Springfield PA Target for $30 on Sun.

Played on 360 and loved it. Just know what you're getting into. It's more Dragon's Lair than Devil May Cry.

If you want an insane anime story and insane anime action, I'm pretty sure it doesn't get better than this. The art direction is solid and the animation is some of the best I've seen in a game (though it ought to be, since that's the primary drive.) If you gauge the value of your games strictly on amount of time played though, you're going to be disappointed.

The two downloadable anime episodes are decent for the price. No gameplay, just QTEs over two animations done by different studios. Neat for the art.

The True Ending DLC however, is extremely solid and I had no qualms paying full price for it. Good fights, great scenes, and a cool wrap up to a game that really surprised me.

[quote name='benjamouth']It's not, I saw it at Springfield PA Target for $30 on Sun.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! If would have been there early Sunday had I known. Yay to PA Cags.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Played on 360 and loved it. Just know what you're getting into. It's more Dragon's Lair than Devil May Cry.

If you want an insane anime story and insane anime action, I'm pretty sure it doesn't get better than this. The art direction is solid and the animation is some of the best I've seen in a game (though it ought to be, since that's the primary drive.) If you gauge the value of your games strictly on amount of time played though, you're going to be disappointed.

The two downloadable anime episodes are decent for the price. No gameplay, just QTEs over two animations done by different studios. Neat for the art.

The True Ending DLC however, is extremely solid and I had no qualms paying full price for it. Good fights, great scenes, and a cool wrap up to a game that really surprised me.[/QUOTE]

Is it difficult?

[quote name='g13']Is it difficult?[/QUOTE]

There were one or two frustrating parts on Hard, but if you have experience with other games in the hack/slash genre, you'll be fine.

[quote name='ZaPpA_721']I would personally wait till the next version of the game with the complete DLC.[/QUOTE]

This is the only thing holding me back as well. It is Capcom and I would hate to get it and then a week or 2 later they announce the complete edition release date (I always have bad timing with things like that). If I really liked the game, I know I'll want to get the complete edition instead with all the DLC on disc. I'll just wait it out later though, it isn't like I don't already have a backlog. So fingers crossed that it was be easy to find at this price by then.

[quote name='barrit']This is the only thing holding me back as well. It is Capcom and I would hate to get it and then a week or 2 later they announce the complete edition release date (I always have bad timing with things like that). If I really liked the game, I know I'll want to get the complete edition instead with all the DLC on disc. I'll just wait it out later though, it isn't like I don't already have a backlog. So fingers crossed that it was be easy to find at this price by then.[/QUOTE]
e3 is pretty soon. maybe we can expect an announcement for a complete edition then?

Sorta kinda interested in playing through this...I get the complaints about how the ending is treated, and I have no love for Capcom anymore, but I'm not sure how much of that is the developer's fault. I'd like to support them for doing something so off the wall (same with Dragon's Dogma - should I skip what could be a great game because of Capcom's policies?).

[quote name='JKSonic']The demo was really fun, but even $30 is just too much for an interactive cutscene IMO.[/QUOTE]

to be fair, the demo is not indicative of the entire game. i absolutely hated the demo and swore off this game, but managed to get a copy for free..and after having played the full game it is easily in my top 3 games this gen. ive never had my jaw drop so much from playing a video game.

This is a crazy awesome game. Awhile ago after finding no deals I gave in and just paid MSRP for it and don't regret it. It's a pretty unforgettable experience.

[quote name='taylort3']e3 is pretty soon. maybe we can expect an announcement for a complete edition then?[/QUOTE]

I hope so. I have had this game on my radar since its development. I also enjoyed the demo, so I really want to play it. I have a pretty big backlog, but it would jump up to the next game I play if I had it. It's very tempting at this price, but I guess it's better to wait til after E3 since I don't want to buy the game twice.

[quote name='chair_home']i could be wrong, but i don't think this game is "big" enough for a complete edition.[/QUOTE]

It had a below average print run/sales and I'm sure they've made more off of the DLC than the actual game sales.

I've been waiting forever to see a price drop on this game, took long enough. The folks at Giant Bomb have been raving about how insane it is on their podcast at least a few times as each of them gets around to playing it, so I've really been wanting to pick it up, but not at full price. I'm a little peeved at Capcom's handling of the ending/DLC stuff a couple of you have mentioned, but I give Capcom and Cyberconnect credit for putting out such an allegedly crazy game.

This seems like a pretty good deal, but I know I haven't seen this game in stock at either of the Targets near me for quite a while. Might have to drive a few miles, hopefully this isn't a YMMV situation.

[quote name='benjamouth']It's not, I saw it at Springfield PA Target for $30 on Sun.[/QUOTE]

Actually Target policy is TPC are YMMV. They will NOT price match any TPC if it's not the same already. They only price match advertised sale items. So if it's a nationwide Target TPC good, however TPCs are for each individual stores needs just like clearance.

[quote name='Ja7Red']Actually Target policy is TPC are YMMV. They will NOT price match any TPC if it's not the same already. They only price match advertised sale items. So if it's a nationwide Target TPC good, however TPCs are for each individual stores needs just like clearance.[/QUOTE]

While you might be technically correct, I have never seen a Target video game price cut that wasn't consistent throughout the entire chain. Clearance is an entirely different story, but price cuts have always been pretty universal as far as I can tell.

I'm really interested in this and Dragon's Dogma... but I've heard this one has a whole mess of DLC... I just hope they don't end up with a GOTY version with all DLC on disc.

Asura's Wrath is a SCAM.

You need all of the dlc (which is essentially the final 1/3 of the game). Don't buy the game until you see a psn sale for a sale for a dlc bundle or wait until a possible capcom "gold edition" with the dlc. I don't think Capcom announced a gold ed. yet, but I guess it is possible since they did that with Res Evil 5.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Why couldn't this be on sale during the trade 2 for $20? I would have jumped to get this for $10...oh well.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same exact thing. That would've been amazing!

[quote name='AugustAPC']I'm really interested in this and Dragon's Dogma... but I've heard this one has a whole mess of DLC... I just hope they don't end up with a GOTY version with all DLC on disc.[/QUOTE]

I think at this point they stand to make the most profits from the game in general through the DLC online. Manufacturing more physical copies doesn't seem worth it since the regular game had a relatively low print run and low sales combined for both systems. Capcom also had some big losses recently, even with that Operation Raccoon City game doing well despite being very below average in quality.

bread's done
Back