What makes a game great for you?

donteatsoap7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm doing a report for college about what features in video games most people prefer and I figured this would be the best place to come. So, what do you like in your A+ games?

Immersion. Reality is a cold and harsh mistress, whom I'm not overly fond of. I like when I sit down to play a game and everything else thats not on the screen blurs into oblivion. The story and gameplay are so engrossing that I forget that I'm not really a space pirate or a Wasteland warrior. When I walk away from the game and back into "reality" I'm left with a succulent and distinct memory or experience from the interaction between me and the game. This "imprint" is derisive pleasure for me because I constantly remember that particular experience, which holds meaning to me alone. Immersion and a game's ability to suck you in is paramount for me as a criterion for a "great game".

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Immersion. Reality is a cold and harsh mistress, whom I'm not overly fond of. I like when I sit down to play a game and everything else thats not on the screen blurs into oblivion. The story and gameplay are so engrossing that I forget that I'm not really a space pirate or a Wasteland warrior. When I walk away from the game and back into "reality" I'm left with a succulent and distinct memory or experience from the interaction between me and the game. This "imprint" is derisive pleasure for me because I constantly remember that particular experience, which holds meaning to me alone. Immersion and a game's ability to suck you in is paramount for me as a criterion for a "great game".[/QUOTE]

I like this. :)

Playability. Meaning the controls need to be natural feeling, the camera has to be done well enough so you dont have to think about it. I dont care how great a story is or how huge a game is, if it doesnt play great I just wont be able to consider it a great game.

If it induces some sort of emotional response, either from just getting a sense of accomplishment and pride from beating the game itself or being emotionally moved from a story standpoint or both.

1. Game not being horribly fuckin' broken from launch
2. Lots of fun to play and lotsa shit to do in it
3. Ability to save at any time and not just when the game autosaves

These three came together in one game for me recently: Just Cause 2. Albeit I had the game from launch, but I only recently started playing it again. Mind ya, the controls on the fighter jets still suck, but aside from that it's a fun, fun game to play. That's made even more fun by the ability to upload your own in-game gameplay videos to YouTube right from the game.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']1. Game not being horribly fuckin' broken from launch

These three came together in one game for me recently: Just Cause 2. Albeit I had the game from launch, but I only recently started playing it again. Mind ya, the controls on the fighter jets still suck, but aside from that it's a fun, fun game to play. That's made even more fun by the ability to upload your own in-game gameplay videos to YouTube right from the game.;)[/QUOTE]

You could upload your own videos? That's pretty cool.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']1. Game not being horribly fuckin' broken from launch

These three came together in one game for me recently: Just Cause 2. Albeit I had the game from launch, but I only recently started playing it again. Mind ya, the controls on the fighter jets still suck, but aside from that it's a fun, fun game to play. That's made even more fun by the ability to upload your own in-game gameplay videos to YouTube right from the game.;)[/QUOTE]

That was an amazing game. Sadly the video capture and uploading was only on the PS3 to my knowledge.

Will you be citing the CAG forums in MLA, APA or Chicago style?

The sign of a great game to me is one that makes you feel as if the developers respect the medium.

Good character development. There are very few things in gaming I dislike more than when I'm playing a game and then I am stuck hating the character I'm playing it as. I can play as a hero, anti-hero whatever but I hate it when a game makes you steer the main character (or the other playable characters or party members, etc.) as some whiny little jerk or someone with no real personality.

Exploration. Knowing there's a huge world and only some of it is accessible in the beginning, but more and more opens up as you play. Nintendo does a great job of giving you hints of this.

1. Fun gameplay. For me that's mostly WRPGs focused on exploration/questing and FPS games.

2. Decent story.

3. Good game design--few bugs and glitches.

4. Not overly difficult--though moot as long as I can adjust difficulty.

I mainly game to veg out, so something like Skyrim is really up my alley these days. I can turn down the difficulty and just relax and explore the world wandering around doing various side quests etc. A good FPS game is relaxing in a cathartic kind of way as well as long as the difficulty isn't bad.

[quote name='Spokker']Will you be citing the CAG forums in MLA, APA or Chicago style?

The sign of a great game to me is one that makes you feel as if the developers respect the medium.[/QUOTE]

lol, just MLA

[quote name='H4Y4TO'] Fun.[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny but he has a lot of good points, thanks a lot.

A great game is one that...

1. Doesn't treat me like a fucking retard. When I say that I mean no checkpoints every 5 seconds, no regenerating health (well to a point, I mean not the CoD of GoW style of I regenerate all my health in 5 seconds after standing in cover), one that actually rewards me for using strategy effectly.

2. A world/story that one can really get into. Something that is not generic story of the day. It's unique, and has it's own sense of style. Plus not this generic ok I am the good guy, in the end evil guy dies, you win. A story that really hits home that yeah while it may be fighting the evil guy, but it just wasn't so clearcut.

3. Feeling of control. When I say that, I mean when I play the game I should feel like I am in control of the character, not just do what the developers planned for me to do. I am not talking like games need to be open choices like Mass Effect, but more so I feel like it just isn't about things like hiding in cover 24/7, it's more of play how I want to play the game (and not how the developers want me to play it).

First comes controls. A game can't be great if it doesn't feel natural to play it.
Second comes story. Something fresh. Something memorable.
Third comes replayability. Something can't be great if don't want to play it again/more.

But none of this matters, if the game isn't plain old FUN. FUN meaning playing non-stop because you are so engrossed with the game while wearing a giant smile on your face as you play it. An added plus when you can do this with friends, whether in real life or online.

bread's done
Back