Forget Zen Davis. It's now the "Vader Time" appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='neocisco']Why does "wrasslin" have a W? I'm more in the "rasslin" camp since the W makes it seem too high falutin'.[/QUOTE]

Since the thread title involved Zen Davis i figured I would try to "class it up" just a lil bit.

This might not end well.

I need to go get the WCW Clash of Champions blu-ray. I was at a Kmart today but alas, they don't carry WWE blu-rays. Thanks Best Buy.

Extreme Rules 2012, headlined by Brock vs. Cena and Punk vs. Jericho reportedly drew 250,000 buys on PPV.

In comparison, Extreme Rules 2011, headlined by Miz, Morrison, and Cena in a triple threat cage match, drew approximately 108,000 buys.

[quote name='JJSP']Extreme Rules 2012, headlined by Brock vs. Cena and Punk vs. Jericho reportedly drew 250,000 buys on PPV.

In comparison, Extreme Rules 2011, headlined by Miz, Morrison, and Cena in a triple threat cage match, drew approximately 108,000 buys.[/QUOTE]

I think the credit for that buyrate has got to go mostly to Brock and the Brock hype. I'm not sure anyone was dying to plunk down for a PPV they normally wouldn't by because Punk and Jericho were having a rematch after Punk won at Mania.

I know today is almost over. But, I still want to pay tribute to Owen Hart. He died too young. As a kid, during lighthearted arguments, I would represent Bret Hart while my younger brother stood as a diehard Owen Hart fan. (I appreciated both of them, but it was fun to argue.) Later in life, I had a chance to see the work he did in Japan, and revisit his WWE tenure. Owen was as good as Bret in the ring, and, in my opinion, a better speaker.

Here is the cage match he and Bret had at SummerSlam 1994. It is essential Owen.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk...vs-owen-hart-summerslam-1994-cage-match_sport

May he rest in peace.

Oh no, Owen Hart! That would've been perfect timing for an Owen thread... Who the heck is Zen Davis? Anyways, I was just reading about how Owen was added in posthumously to the WWF Attitude video game back in the day and he was left out of the Dreamcast version for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XueVsn2s4

I'm pretty certain this is a KaneRobot recommendation, but this match is excellent as well. It shows that a match need not be 29 minutes of false finishes to be great. It's tv length (4-5 minutes of in-ring action), but the pacing and style are waaaayyy ahead of its time. These guys were doing what indies still strive to do in 2012 nearly 20 years (!) ago.

The fact that the match you posted has Sean Waltman as the other participant only further shows how great Owen's in-ring ability was.

I am extremely grateful that I got to meet Owen at a house show (in the Louisville Gardens, no less) - we were standing back by the entrance area and he was standing behind a table talking to the sound guy drinking a 7up. I remember we shouted hello to him and he walked over and started shaking hands and asking if we were enjoying the show and what not. I was maybe 11 or 12, but he treated us like we were on his level. Super nice and very humble guy. When he and Bulldog came out, the place went absolutely crazy for the two of them even though iirc they were the "heel" tag team at the time.

His "Rocket" theme song remains one of my favorite entrance themes of all time.

[quote name='sykotek']Oh no, Owen Hart! That would've been perfect timing for an Owen thread... Who the heck is Zen Davis? Anyways, I was just reading about how Owen was added in posthumously to the WWF Attitude video game back in the day and he was left out of the Dreamcast version for some reason.[/QUOTE]

He was already in the game but they added a couple of tributes to him in the PS1 and N64 versions. The Dreamcast one did not have them.

Zen Davis was banned in 2008. I assume he annoyed the hell out of everyone but I don't remember him.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XueVsn2s4

I'm pretty certain this is a KaneRobot recommendation, but this match is excellent as well. It shows that a match need not be 29 minutes of false finishes to be great. It's tv length (4-5 minutes of in-ring action), but the pacing and style are waaaayyy ahead of its time. These guys were doing what indies still strive to do in 2012 nearly 20 years (!) ago.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking as hard as a I can, but I cannot remember the last time I saw someone do that arm wrench escape sequence in a WWE ring.

[quote name='Spyder187']Because you asked for it, here it is.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who mentioned that it should be a thread title.

Why do the wrestling threads get locked up at 500? They said that it's due to stress on the server or something, right? There's 50+ active threads in the OT forum that have 500+ replies. I'm assuming that John's upgraded the servers since the request to close after 500 was put in way back in 2009.

Raw's expanding to three hours, we should get to expand our thread count to 1,000. At the rate the industry's going, that should equate to one new thread every six months.

[quote name='mitch079']Zen Davis was banned in 2008. I assume he annoyed the hell out of everyone but I don't remember him.[/QUOTE]

He's been back under many other names since then, and he's not smart enough to keep himself from getting banned again.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm thinking as hard as a I can, but I cannot remember the last time I saw someone do that arm wrench escape sequence in a WWE ring.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you're right. There's a few old school sequences that I haven't seen forever. The arm wrench reversal. The sunset flip into about 7 different count pins. Or even something as simple as the sleeper hold and the arm raise/drop. What ever happened to using holds? I remember a long while back, someone mentioned they liked Orton because he was one of the only guys who actually used something as elementary as a headlock. Think about all the simple holds that could be used to add a little flair to a stardard match. I already said headlock and sleeper, but what about hammerlocks, abdominal stretch (maybe the corniest of all moves, but super easy to get cheap heel heat by just using ropes for leverage), or boston crab (I guess we can blame Jericho for turning the Walls into a super vanilla crab though, effectively eliminating it's use from anyone else's arsenal).

[quote name='Scorch']Why do the wrestling threads get locked up at 500? They said that it's due to stress on the server or something, right? There's 50+ active threads in the OT forum that have 500+ replies. I'm assuming that John's upgraded the servers since the request to close after 500 was put in way back in 2009.

Raw's expanding to three hours, we should get to expand our thread count to 1,000. At the rate the industry's going, that should equate to one new thread every six months.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the 500 post limit. Keeps the threads fresh. When a good one is made, a bunch of posts are made about the topic at hand. And considering that a lot of the time, we don't even have much to talk about anyway...

I'd love to see more grappling holds implemented, but in the world of the 3 minute TV match, there's just no time for it. A mat-based offense based around wearing down your opponent is a great way to slow down a match and build anticipation for the high spots, but because wrestling is so much "spot->transition->spot->spot->finish" these days, no one bothers. Imagine how over Del Rio's armbreaker would be if he spent the latter part of the match working hammerlocks, armbars, and wristlocks to set up for it - he'd be the blue blood, sadistic heel that enjoys punishing people with a smile on his face. He's a world class Greco Roman wrestler (would have made the 2000 Summer Olympics had Mexico sent a team to Sydney), but shows very little of it in the ring.

The last wrestler I saw whose moves progressed sensibly and logically towards a focused finish was Chavo Guerrero when he was a regular on Velocity. Strikes and holds focused on the neck and typically led to a brainbuster finish.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']He's been back under many other names since then, and he's not smart enough to keep himself from getting banned again.[/QUOTE]

He started college at Rutgers so his IP address doesn't match any of his old ones.

At least that is what I remembered from checking a few months ago. If anyone wanted to play internet detective I will show him the door.

[quote name='xilly']The fact that the match you posted has Sean Waltman as the other participant only further shows how great Owen's in-ring ability was.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that Owen was an excellent in-ring worker, I think you're undervaluing Waltman's in-ring prowess a bit. Granted he wasn't a guy you could push to the upper echelon, but the guy could work a good quality match when he wasn't overly Pac-ing it up.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']He started college at Rutgers so his IP address doesn't match any of his old ones.

At least that is what I remembered from checking a few months ago. If anyone wanted to play internet detective I will show him the door.[/QUOTE]That was the missing piece that tied it all together. Thank you for that little bit of information.

He's been shown the door, again, until he crawls back out from the rock he's hiding under.

Ah, man. All these times and I'm still naive enough to think of it as a running joke (i.e., I didn't actually think Golden Idol was Zen Davis).

[quote name='mykevermin']Ah, man. All these times and I'm still naive enough to think of it as a running joke (i.e., I didn't actually think Golden Idol was Zen Davis).[/QUOTE]

Really? :lol:

I knew it from the second he started verbally blowing any wrestler who's ever said the letters R-O-H.

That's why I kept telling him to shut the fuck up. It does also work as a general reply, though.

Damnit, does this mean I need to change this to a "Zen Davis has once again been future endeavored" wrasslin thread?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Really? :lol:

I knew it from the second he started verbally blowing any wrestler who's ever said the letters R-O-H.

That's why I kept telling him to shut the fuck up. It does also work as a general reply, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. If I ever get banned from somewhere, I'll probably just stay away and be okay with life. But that's just me, perhaps. Sadly.

I sadly admit I didn't really pay attention to Zen Davis enough back when he was around to be able to pick him out if he popped up under a different name, but regardless of possible secret identities, that Golden Idol guy has come as close as anyone to being the first person to make my "ignore" list on this site. So there's that.

Always cool to revisit that Owen/Waltman match and say "ouch" outloud a few times.

Hopefully he did something horrible in the past, because Golden Idol was a breath of fresh air in these threads.

There's a few old school sequences that I haven't seen forever. The arm wrench reversal. The sunset flip into about 7 different count pins. Or even something as simple as the sleeper hold and the arm raise/drop.
Too many people had been messing up the sunset flip/bridge spots. RVD was just about the only guy who could do them effortlessly.

[quote name='mykevermin']whoopee-doo.

I mean, thanks for sharing it, but my reaction is: whoopee-doo.[/QUOTE]

I had the same reaction when I saw it. I bought 12 and will skip this barring some major changes.

To be honest, he never really bothered me too much. Of course, I don't ride Vince's jock. I just took what he said with the occasional grain of salt.

BTW, how many aliases has he had at this point? Can anyone recall his previous names?

Was it just me or did the in-game footage look like PS2?

Well this is interesting:

ORIGINAL: TNA has filed a lawsuit against WWE and former TNA and WWE employee Brian Wittenstein. The company filed the lawsuit yesterday in Nashville with charges of interference with existing contracts, conversion, breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unfair competition, and violation of the Tennessee Uniform Trade Secrets Act. Wittenstein is also being sued for breach of duty of loyalty.

The suit claims that Wittenstein, who worked for the company for three years from 2008 – 2011, gave WWE inside information on contracts and other details from his time working with the company and that WWE is trying to steal talent from the company via that information. Wittenstein was hired by WWE earlier this year but was let go in April, which TNA claims is after they were presented with the information. However, WWE did not inform TNA that they had been given that information for several weeks.

TNA claims that they were informed of the insider information on May 7th and that several days later, Ric Flair approached TNA trying to get out of his contract so he could go to WWE. The company says Flair hasn't appeared at events since. Alex Shelley, who is rumored to be heading to WWE, was not mentioned in the lawsuit.

An injunction has been issued demanding that WWE and Wittenstein return whatever confidential material Wittenstein obtained from TNA and were specifically instructed not to destroy any of the material. A hearing is set for next month.

Credit: PWInsider

PWInsider reports that as of now, neither WWE nor Brian Wittenstein have been officially served with the lawsuit filed by TNA. TNA has filed a request for expedited discovery and TNA CFO/COO Dean Broadhead signed an affidavit about what he knew of the situation that was filed earlier today.

It is being reported that WWE approached TNA to tell them that Wittenstein was openly discussing his knowledge of contract expiration dates, and it was a reason why WWE fired him. TNA is requesting a temporary restraining order against Wittenstein and WWE, which is believed to be in order to prevent them from sharing information or from approaching talent. TNA has put up a $30,000 surety bond in order for the court to consider the injunction.

A hearing is scheduled for June 11th, which is the current end date of the temporary restraining order.

Additionally, The Nashville City Paper quotes WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt about the lawsuit. McDevitt stated, "Our reaction is that no good deed ever goes unpunished. What the WWE did here is what you would hope any company would do in these circumstances it found itself in."

Last edited by a moderator:
The footage is early. I'm guessing March or April, a full seven months before the game releases. I would much, much rather them work on improving the game mechanics than making it the prettiest game on the market. I still play EWR because it's so fun, and it's text only.

My thoughts for WWE 13.. first off, the "we will create the future" thing really makes sense as Ledesma has been asking fans for weeks about their input on things. He actually listened to a complaint that I had and fixed it for WWE 12 (In 2011, when you were in a ladder match, the belt was hanging above the ring AND sitting at ringside), so he does listen to feedback.

- Good to see Jericho in. Still hard to believe that he wasn't in WWE '12.
- Digging the old school Undertaker look. HIAC between UT and Mankind with UT's outfit he wore at their famous KOTR matchup.. possible "recreate these matches" mode?
- Crashing through the guardrail and fighting in the crowd? FINALLY.
- Ring collapsing will be awesome, but sadly, I have a feeling that that's going to either be a cutscene or part of the aforementioned "recreate these matches" mode. If they're going to add ring collapses, they should add wrestlers falling through the mat.

Hats off for the Owen-Pac post. As for Pac, out of all of his similar gimmicks, I liked his Syxx run. I think he had his best matches in WCW, including notable matches with Chris Jericho and Dean Malenko. I can't say I'm a fan of his later WWE run—especially when he tagged with Kane. Best part about that team was Tori. In short: Pac looks like a rat and I never dug his personality. However, he did help contribute to one of the best terms in pro wrestling: "X-Pac heat." And his leg drops were fantastic.

I'd be down for Alex Shelley in WWE—especially if they actually launch this rumored cruiserweight/junior heavyweight division on the WWE Network.

Shame about this "Revolution" hype being nothing more than a plug for WWE 13. Can't help but assume the "revolution" game element will be being able to play as CM Punk during his "Summer of Punk" shenanigans.

Skipping through Superstars. Antonio Cesaro (Claudio Castagnoli) has a match with Tyson Kidd (TJ Wilson). There's a nice spot where Cesaro hits Swiss Death out of a Tornado DDT.

And lastly, I watched the FCW match featuring Dean Ambrose (Jon Moxley) and Seth Rollins (Tyler Black). From the commentary, it seems like the second match in the series. Just a phenomenal thirty-minute match with a bad-ass strong-style finish (starting at 28:50). Blew my mind. Seems like God's Last Gift is his big-match move. That's one thing WWE needs to add back to their matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRm-2loMupM

I found this on another forum: it's a former WWE writer talking about some of the things he experienced during the day-to-day operations of the writing staff. It's really long and I'm only partway through it, but I thought I'd share it with you guys:

Hey Scott,

So on the WWE board at GameFaqs.com, there’s a poster who worked as an assistant for the writing team from September to December last year and is giving away some neat insights about the day-to-day workings of the writing process and some tidbits on some of the stars and personalities. It seems legit; the detail of his work was pretty, uh, detailed, and he posted a pic of the office he worked out of and a couple of the one-sheets from the shows. Some of the information is obvious (Cena and Orton have backstage pull on their angles, etc.) but there have some some interesting things he’s revealed (Sheamus was the planned Rumble winner since the previous summer and not a last-second swerve as a result of Chris Jericho, D-Bry being against pairing up with AJ). I’ve gleamed some of the better bits from the topic and thought I’d pass them along since a common cry on the Blog of Doom is “What are they thinking?” And I think it at least beats a fantasy booking e-mail.

I’ve included a lengthy list, so feel free to cherry-pick. If you’re asking why I simply didn’t include a link to said forum, it’s because the WWE board is inaccessible to anyone who doesn’t have enough “karma” built up on the site to keep the trolls out. If this makes for a blog entry, I’d be more than happy to do a follow-up e-mail later on as the topic continues.

--

His duties:

“Mainly note-taking and updating many documents that helped the writers do their jobs. There was a document that had the last 6 episodes of Raw and Smackdown broken down by segment. Another that listed the ‘Last 5 Times’ something was done (like the belt being used as a weapon, or a chair being used, or interference in a match). That stuff had to be updated every week so the writers could refer to it whenever needed.

There was a ton of word processing basically. Each week to write the shows we would write the numbers 1 to 11 on the board (the segments of the shows) and just discuss the stories and where to put things. Then I or another assistant would create a "one sheeter" out of those. Basically list each segment and a few bullet points of what they would consist of. The writers would then use this as a guideline to write the scripts.

The writing team is divided into a home team that stays in Stamford, and a road team that travels to all the shows. Unfortunately I was on the home team. My only backstage experience was at Survivor Series which was pretty dope.”

--

On who he answered to:

“Probably Brian Gewirtz, who was my true boss. If the writers told me one thing and Brian said another, Brian's word goes. Always.”

--

On scripting promos and on-the-fly changes:

“Cena has been known to throw the script out and do his own thing on occasion. I'm sure Punk does occasionally. Ziggler has gone off script a time or two and was reprimanded for it. It's hard to tell for me because the writing process is sort of an assembly line. We wrote the outline and first drafts of the script in Stamford after approval by Vince, then they'd go to the head writers and always through at least three more drafts. Then there'd be another meeting with Vince on location at the arena the morning of every show. More changes are made. Then there's last minute changes that are made with so little notice that they don't even have time to be put down on paper. Then of course someone may go out in front of the crowd and forget part of their lines, or choose to improvise for whatever reason. But the bulk of that happened outside of my view. So most times the Raw that aired monday was very different than the one that left the offices the week before, and I didn't always know where the changes occurred.”

On backstage pull:

“About as much input as you would expect. Orton, Punk and especially Cena have a lot of say in their stories I think. After Survivor Series, Cena felt he shouldn't lose clean again (or preferably at all) until Wrestlemania, and so he didn't. When Jericho was in talks of coming back, it was under the conditions that he work with Punk and put him over at Wrestlemania (Jericho's demands, not WWE's). He also came up with the light bright jacket thing and paid for it himself (I heard $10g for the first one). Cody Rhodes said in a recent interview that he had his leather vest cape thing custom made and paid for it himself, so I guess to a certain degree the wrestlers are responsible for their own characters. But on the other hand, Daniel Bryan complained a lot about being put into a story with AJ because his last girlfriend storyline with Gail Kim was so bad, but he couldn't really do anything about it.

So I guess you could say it varies quite a bit.”

--

On the tag and Divas divisions:

“The thing with Vince is he goes through these weird and seemingly random phases. For a while he'll be into the tag division, then he couldn't care less. He'll want to do Diva storylines, then he doesn't care if they make it on the show at all. He'll hire someone like Tamina and not do crap with them for years, then one day ask "Why aren't we doing anything with Tamina Snuka? She's a Snuka goddammit!" and Tamina will get a random push.

Right now I guess he's in the mood for some attention on the tag division.”

--

On HHH and Stephanie:

“Triple H is super cool. I actually met him in the men’s room. While he was washing his hands I nervously introduced myself and he took a second to stop, look me in the eye, say good to meet you and make sure he got my full name right. Also from my understanding he was the voice of reason that would reel in many of Vince's crazy ideas in the meetings.

Steph is very nice also, but does have a tendency to stare at you in a sort of psychotic-looking manner. But she's friendly and jokes around and tries to know everyone's name.

They're just normal people really.”

--

On the anonymous GM:

“There were a few directions they were considering. The obvious one being Vince, but they also were heavily considering JBL. But Vince killed the story. In fact at one point when the head writers pushed him to at least tie up the loose end some how, Vince suggested to reveal that it was Laurinaitis all along in a "throwaway line backstage."

The whole thing was dropped though. When Vince stops caring about something, it's dead.”

--

On FCW:

“Sure there was a booklet that had bios of the "top talent" of FCW. We would also get weekly FCW DVD's of the latest show which were available for whoever had time to watch them, but any decisions as far as new talent debuts or anything like that were done by Talent Development, which Triple H is in charge of together with Matt Martolaro, former FCW announcer.

But on occasion we would have a task like "We need a list of the top 5 choices for names for Donny Marlow." And we discussed as a group and put our favorites on the board. They had to be cleared by the legal team to make sure we could trademark them. Marlow and Hunico themselves liked Camacho best, so Camacho it became.

I remember seeing paperwork for Ryback 's debut plan. It included the design of his attire as well as storyboards for his vignettes, but I guess they decided not to do the vignettes.

That's the thing about the place, and about TV in general I guess, it's so so SO fluid. Things change constantly and at last minute and you have to learn to just go with it.”

--

On Punk at Survivor Series:

“I can tell you a CM Punk story from Survivor Series. Punk was warming up because his match was coming up soon. He was jogging in place and such backstage psyching himself up. MSG is a relatively small arena backstage, so things were a bit cramped. About 20 feet away Miz and Truth were about to pre-tape their backstage interview with Matt Striker (who btw purposely opens his stance up so he's shorter than the people he interviews).

The PA asked everyone to quiet down so Miz and Truth could record there thing. It's at this moment that Punk starts doing box jumps. While everyone else is silent, he's jumping loudly on and off a storage crate. The PA comes over and says something like "I'm sorry Punk but we're trying to tape this thing. Could you please keep it down?"

Punk says nothing, continues jogging in place but turns over to Miz and Truth and flips them off.

I think he was just joking around, but he did seem like kind of a douche.”

--

On Kane’s re-masking and feuding with Cena instead of Henry:

“From what I can recall, though Kane was taken out by Mark Henry, Glenn Jacobs did not want to come back and feud with him for whatever reason. So they instead had him return on RAW and go after Cena, though I think it was already planned when he was written off with the broken ankle that he would come back with the mask.

However the design of the outfit, as well as the look and filming of the vignettes teasing his return were both done by other departments and had nothing to do with the writers. We were as anxious to see what he would look like when he returned as everyone else.”

--

On the Natalya Neidhart “farting” gimmick:

“We used to make fun of Natalya a lot because from what we heard she had kind of an eccentric personality. It was in good fun though and not malicious, but at some point the "Nattie Neidfart" joke came up and we had a good laugh talking about stupid stuff like changing her move to the "shartshooter." Several weeks later when I was already fired and the story actually made it to TV my jaw dropped and I cracked up. You'd be surprised how much stuff is done just as a rib on people.”

--

On Daniel Bryan:

“Everyone knew that DB would not hold the briefcase until Wrestlemania. I don't know why that became part of his story, but likely it was a promise he could break later to facilitate a heel turn. I heard that Bryan winning MitB was actually a last minute same-day decision. From what I could tell, nobody had much faith in Bryan as a draw while he was a face. Bryan almost had to turn heel, because he wasn't very good at giving face promos. When he first won the championship and started cutting promos still as a face, he would emphasize the wrong parts and say things in the wrong tone. It actually came out kind of obnoxious and heelish, which probably encouraged the decision to turn him. However when he became champion, Vince and the writing team wanted to do a very "sophisticated" and slow-burn gradual heel turn which obviously worked wonderfully. I think they had a lot of fun with that story. I remember something in the notes that came in once that said something like

* From now on, when Daniel Bryan wins any match he should celebrate like it's the biggest victory of his life

This is was when he was right in the middle of the gradual heel turn and that's where YES! was born.”

--

On Nash/Punk/HHH:

“It was Nash not being medically cleared to compete by the time he was supposed to face Punk. The writers had to scramble and think of a reason to stall the story, and then it became Kevin Nash vs. Triple H. Again the story took on a life of its own and they had to go through with the feud, even though it was pretty clear Nash had nothing to offer. Instead of Big Daddy Cool, he was screaming all of his promos. His ring abilities were shoddier than ever. So it was decided Nash and Trips would have one blow off match and we'd be done with Kevin Nash on the show. Punk vs. Nash almost happened on RAW a few times, just to tie up the loose end, but I think they didn't want Nash competing a big match before his match with Triple H so it never happened.”

--

On Brodus Clay’s gimmick change:

“The whole writing team was under the impression that Brodus would come back as the monster heel depicted in the vignettes. It was Vince who saw things differently. When the vignettes were already airing and the writing team asked him when they should debut Brodus, Vince said something like "What's his character? We don't have anything for him. I don't understand who Brodus Clay is. Let's hold off on his debut until we have a better idea."

Backstage it was well known that Brodus has a lot of charisma, loves kids and is a great talker. Vince decided he wanted Brodus as a face, and for some reason, despite Brodus having no dancing ability, he wanted Brodus to dance.

They worked on the gimmick for weeks, mainly down in FCW (as dark segments I assume). All of it was completely out of the writers hands and was probably handled by Talent Development instead. The reason his debut was teased so much was because at first we thought he was ready, then Vince would decide he isn't ready yet. His ring work isn't up to par, or the choreography isn't good enough, or the outfit needs work still, or the whole production needs more time, or the timing is off. All kinds of stuff like that.

When Brodus finally debuted, the writers came into work the next day and the reaction was as mixed as it was [on the IWC]. Some thought it was cheesy and a disaster, some thought it was fun and entertaining, some thought it just needed time to get over.

In the end, it was a way more fun and original idea to make him the Funkasaurus than generic monster heel #622978 I think.

Although admittedly after a while we had Laurinaitis tease Brodus's debut just to get him heat. There was an idea that Brodus would debut as a monster, but then turn on Laurinaitis and break out the dancing character. Or that Laurinaitis would be under the impression that he was bringing in a monster, only to be dismayed when Brodus shows up dancing. There were a few possibilities, but they ultimately decided to drop Brodus and Johnny's connection all together.”

--

On Zack Ryder’s depush:

“I didn't feel that the writers had anything against Ryder really. I think Gewirtz feels that he's a natural underdog, and that's why people like him. The moment you give him too much exposure or success, he's no longer an underdog and becomes annoying so they try to stick to that.

Any personal feelings that stop someone from getting more success probably come from Vince himself. Absolutely no major plot points, no title wins or face/heel turns get on TV without Vince's approval.”

--

On planning for the Royal Rumble:

“The winner is determined months in advance usually, but it's always subject to change. The way they usually book is that they set up the main events for PPVs all the way from now until next Wrestlemania. They then work backwards between PPVs to develop the storylines on RAW and SD. There's a document that charts the main events, but a lot of the stuff ends up changing. When I flipped through this document in September, Sheamus was already scheduled to win the Rumble, but he was also supposed to take on Mark Henry for the WHC at Wrestlemania. But things happen. Henry got injured and had to drop the title, Bryan cashed in and became a phenomenon, etc. Del Rio was supposed to take on Orton, but he got injured as well. Sin Cara and Mysterio, same deal. So most of the stuff they had planned did not actually come to fruition. And even before the Rumble there was lots of consideration about making the winner Jericho instead since they knew they wanted Jericho to take on Punk at Wrestlemania. I think ultimately it was decided that Sheamus needs a Rumble victory more than Jericho, and Jericho could get to Wrestlemania by other means.

As for the specifics, Michael Hayes does most of it with some of the agents. They plan the list of participants, then work on the order and some of the big spots. The reason it was 30 people and not 40 again this year was because the roster was so thin because of so many injuries. Hell even with 30 they had to resort to guys like Jey Uso and Michael Cole.”

--

On Sheamus as the next Cena and a Cena heel turn:

“Sheamus is being built as the next John Cena. Which is a good thing, because it will free up Cena to do other things in the future, like turn heel. Kids love Sheamus. He moves merch. He's good at press appearances and talk shows and junk. He's the best possible candidate to replace Cena as the top babyface. As far as the man personally, I don't remember hearing anything interesting. He's just a loyal hardworking guy. Last I heard he wanted to add a cloverleaf as another finishing move.

From what I've heard, Cena would LOVE to turn heel. The Thuganomics character was a lot more like his real persona, and I know he feels limited by being a face. It's the company and Vince that doesn't want to take the leap until they have an established replacement for him, which is most likely Sheamus. It's not just the show itself, but they need someone that can do all the Make A Wish stuff, the PR appearances, the sponsorships, etc that Cena does. Cena works his ass off for the company, and nobody else even comes close right now. So there's a lot of things lost in turning him heel.”

--

On the planning process from September onward:

“Tough question to answer. Like I said they had a very skeleton idea of the major feuds and matches all the way through to Wrestlemania. They always work backwards from the PPV card to book the Raws and Smackdowns in-between, so they always know what the end goal is. As far as specifics of matches and promos, that's usually a week by week basis, with the team planning one week ahead of real time. Some feuds that were story-heavy, like Cena vs. Kane, would sometimes have "grids" which is basically a chart with four columns representing the four weeks until the next PPV. Writers were encouraged to work in that grid style, keeping in mind how one week relates to the next, rather than winging it week by week.”

--

On the sanitized TV-PG product:

“A lot of the restrictions nowadays are not so much about PG vs Non-PG but because the world has gotten more aware and more critical about health and sports as a whole. For example, whereas blood was rampant in the Attitude era, now if someone bleeds they practically stop the match and have a cut doctor with gloves work on them. This is not because of PG, but because of higher concerns over hepatitis and things like that that are tied to legal issues about workplace risks and red tape like that. Same goes for chair shots to the head. Has nothing to do with PG, but with society up in arms about concussions and life threatening head injuries in the NFL and anywhere else.

However PG was a roadblock on a few occasions. For example in the Cena vs. Kane story, we were told that lighting anyone on fire was not PG and was not a possibility, and even lighting any THING on fire was unlikely to be approved. When you're dealing with a Kane story that's kind of a kick in the balls.”

--

On the writers as a group:

“The writers are a lot like [the IWC]. They want stories to be entertaining, deep, and make sense. But sometimes their plans are derailed by what Vince wants to do. Sometimes they're so busy working on the main storylines that the midcard guys like Primo and Epico fall through the cracks without having a storyline for weeks. They're doing their best. And I believe Vince has always been the way he is.

You gotta realize that Vince has lived and breathed this company for 30 years. It's all he thinks about, so he's a very unusual guy and very disconnected from the "real world." He has no time to watch TV. He has no idea whats going on in pop culture. He's never seen most major movies of the last 40 years that everyone has seen. Like I remember making a reference to The Shining, and Brian Gewirtz said "I can guarantee you that Vince has never seen The Shining." He has to have other people explain these things to him because all he knows is the WWE.”

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XueVsn2s4

I'm pretty certain this is a KaneRobot recommendation, but this match is excellent as well. It shows that a match need not be 29 minutes of false finishes to be great. It's tv length (4-5 minutes of in-ring action), but the pacing and style are waaaayyy ahead of its time. These guys were doing what indies still strive to do in 2012 nearly 20 years (!) ago.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't seen this in over a decade. Thanks.

Best 5 minute match of all time?

[quote name='Purple Flames']I found this on another forum: it's a former WWE writer talking about some of the things he experienced during the day-to-day operations of the writing staff. It's really long and I'm only partway through it, but I thought I'd share it with you guys:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for working around the red in the spoiler. That much red is murder on the eyes.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I found this on another forum: it's a former WWE writer talking about some of the things he experienced during the day-to-day operations of the writing staff. It's really long and I'm only partway through it, but I thought I'd share it with you guys:

[/QUOTE]

This sealed it for me:

He'll hire someone like Tamina and not do crap with them for years, then one day ask "Why aren't we doing anything with Tamina Snuka? She's a Snuka goddammit!" and Tamina will get a random push.

Totally heard that in Vince's voice.

Bit of breaking news: Chris Jericho has been suspended by WWE indefinitely. I don't think this is part of any storyline, just poor judgment. From what I've read, this is WWE's first venture to Brazil.

from TMZ:

A WWE event in Brazil came to a screeching halt Thursday evening ... when local law enforcement stopped a live match and threatened to arrest Chris Jericho for desecrating the Brazilian flag.

It all went down during a match between Jericho and C.M. Punk -- who was proudly waving the flag in the ring. Jericho took the flag away, crumpled it up and kicked the flag out of the ring ... and that's when police stepped in and put a stop to the event.

We're told Jericho was informed that desecrating the national flag is a crime in Brazil ... punishable by incarceration.

Cops gave Jericho an option -- apologize to the arena ... or go to jail. Chris chose the former ... grabbing the mic and telling the crowd he immediately regretted his actions. Cops allowed the event to continue.

Sources connected to the WWE tell TMZ ... the flag stunt was NOT planned or approved by WWE officials.

The WWE has just released an official statement saying, "Chris Jericho has been suspended indefinitely due to an irresponsible act of denigrating the Brazilian flag at a WWE event in Sao Paulo on May 24. The WWE has apologized to the citizens and the government of Brazil for this incident."

Confirmation on WWE.com: http://www.wwe.com/inside/jericho-brazil

Chris Jericho has been suspended indefinitely due to an irresponsible act of denigrating the Brazilian flag at a WWE live event in São Paulo on May 24. WWE has apologized to the citizens and the government of Brazil for this incident.

Response from Jericho:

Just for the record I love Brazil and wish we could've spent more time here. Beautiful country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back