CAGcast #284: A Masculine Name

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy loves Max Payne 3, Wombat is not actually not too bad at Fitbit, and Shipwreck deals with delays of upcoming games and the GI Joe movie.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]193[/podcast]
Download - 77 minutes, 47MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

GoDaddy
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Nas vs Drive Sountrack - Nasty P / Hologram: Time Traveler

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Cleveland beat Detroit tonight, I just got three hot dogs for $1 at Sheetz, and a new CAGcast is out. Life is good.

If you guys do decide to do a screening of the Avengers (or whatever) I will try to come, since I am not too far from L.A. Don't be afraid to charge a little, it will keep some of the freeloaders at bay. Maybe you guys could do a dinner with Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck, or a "smoke with Cheapy" fundraiser to offset some of the costs of the party, too.

The digital comics discussion was good. I wonder why they don't just have a code for a digital copy with the book so the buyer gets both a psychical and digital version like they do so much with movies these days. That way your getting traditional comic readers onto a new medium and new comic readers to check out more books.

Also Batman Venom came in the mail today. Good so far.

As for a CAG meet up I'd just skip it and enjoy yourself. I like it better when you do things like the CAG bracelets you did long ago.

Here is what the xbox 360 chrome controllers look like:
controllers_chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to the opening, reminded me, I must say...

Cheapy, I'm sorry I didn't listen to your recommendation to watch Drive sooner. It was greatly interesting.

i was pretty excited for Max Payne 3, but the aiming system and the repetitive nature of the game (cut scene, shoot x amount of bad guys, repeat) bored me to death.

I tried the multiplayer portion of the game,. which was fun until people started spawn trapping me. Needless to say, I did not enjoy this game as much as I wanted to.

No mention of the 360 possibly not being sold in the US later this year. Even though I don't see it happening, do you think this will have any impact on Microsoft possible rushing to get it's next console don't even sooner?

[quote name='Curufinwe']I wish the Silver 360 controller with the transforming D-pad that I got for Christmas 2010 had color buttons.[/QUOTE]

I don't. I LOVE the monochrome buttons. I don't need rainbow buttons to know which ones to hit. ;)

HAHA, I like that Wombat and Shippy know more about secret E3 announcements than Cheapy. The owner and host of CAG doesn't even get exclusives. XD

[quote name='Corvin']I don't. I LOVE the monochrome buttons. I don't need rainbow buttons to know which ones to hit. ;)[/QUOTE]

I know where the buttons are, but in low light you can't even see the X on the X button because it's so dark, which just looks crap. And when I handed the controller to my wife so she could try the Minecraft demo she found the lack of colors so confusing I had to go dig the original controller out so the buttons would match what was on the screen.

You guys should have built your own PCs. Everything's so utterly simple and there are so many useful guides out there I'm sure Wombat could piece together a working PC in under two hours while still not being able to define RAM with any degree of confidence. Trying to put all that junk back in the giant box of battleship looks more complicated than building a PC.

Also half the reason GRAW was so awesome was because of the acronym and you only need about two weeks to get sick of playing KOTOR Online.

"YOGA FIRE!"

I almost rear-ended the car in front of me at that part of the podcast. Nothing like laughing your ass off while having a heart attack during your morning commute. :D

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']You guys should have built your own PCs. Everything's so utterly simple and there are so many useful guides out there I'm sure Wombat could piece together a working PC in under two hours while still not being able to define RAM with any degree of confidence.[/QUOTE]
My friend is building it for me.

[quote name='CheapyD']My friend is building it for me.[/QUOTE]

Please take a pic of the beast when it arrives.

For the CAGcast E3 meetup you guys should contact the L.A. Microsoft Store at Westfield Century City. During E3 week I'm sure they would love to host some event. If they don't chip in, at the least Cheapy could buy a few things and give them out in a raffle or trivia contest or something like that.

Great show! Really looking forward to hear what all three of you have to say from E3. News is okay from other podcasts, but opinions from three "regular" gamers matter to me.

"It seems a lot like the demo, the first level of it is straight up that level where you fight against the Chimera."

"That's the beginning of the game? Oh, that's surprising?"

I hope you mean that the setting in the first area is suprising, and not a video game demo that takes place at the beginning of the game is surprising.

I wish you guys would spend more time talking about games that you like. You did not spend too much time talking about Max Payne 3. Wombat seems to like Kingdoms of Amaular but spends about 10 seconds talking about it. Last show Cheapy said he liked The Darkness 2 but did not even talk about the game. But you spend a lot of time talking about games you don't like.

Show Notes
12:30 No gaming pc's yet
14:15 GI Joe Retaliation delay
16:30 Battleship
20:00 Frontline phone tower upgrade story
22:30 Show feedback
25:45 Dragon's Dogma
28:30 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier
29:45 Joyride Turbo
32:00 Sega Vintage Collections
34:30 Men in Black: Alien Crisis
35:00 Sorcery
35:45 Mario Tennis Open
36:00 Rollercoaster Tycoon
36:30 E3 preparations update
38:00 Wombat NHL Quiz
41:00 E3 questions
44:30 Max Payne 3
49:00 Kingoms of Amalur:Reckoning
50:30 Game delays; X-Com, Bioshock, Metro Last Light,$ Tomb Raider, Prey 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines
53:00 Diablo III
53:45 Bioware layoffs
55:45 Activision/Infinity Ward
57:00 Some iphone game clone, not even going to try$ spell it.
62:45 Forza IV Porsche expansion
65:00 Twilight Zone pinball kickstarter
68:00 Cagbag

Cheapy, the reason you can't find Batman graphic novels on the ipad is because DC made a exclusivity deal for the Kindle Fire for their graphic novels.

[quote name='thorbahn3']The digital comics discussion was good. I wonder why they don't just have a code for a digital copy with the book so the buyer gets both a psychical and digital version like they do so much with movies these days.[/QUOTE]

Both Marvel and DC do this on a limited basis. Marvel does it for free on Ultimate titles and the Avengers vs. X-men miniseries, and DC sells some series in a polybag with a DL code for an extra dollar. I don't envy the position they are in - there is such a close relationship between the publishers and retailers, and the switch to digital will completely devastate the b&m retailers. That said, I absolutely love the guided view on Comixology's books.

And it should be said, buyer beware. If Comixology goes tits up, say bye-bye to your collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already saw the Avengers, but buying out a movie theater doesn't sound like a bad idea. My main concern about that is whether there will be room for everyone, and if there will be time for all the CAGs to hang out and chat when there's a two hour movie being watched. I'm looking forward to the meetup. Hopefully I won't have plans or work that night.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert in computer hardware, but I've studied Computer Science in my collegiate experience and it's painfully obvious how none of the hosts had a working concept of what RAM does. They all knew it was good to have more of it but that's as far as the understanding went. Anyone felt that any of the hosts knew what RAM is, was being to generous or does not understand RAM his/herself.

That being said, I think it's wise that CheapyD and shipwreck did not build their own PC's.

I'm really interested to see how Shipwreck feels about Dragon's Dogma, it looks like a lot of fun to me, but I will never pay $40+ for a CAPCOM game with CAPCOM's current DLC strategies.

That Nas remix is sick. I actually had to look up what Nas song that was after listening because I have all of his albums and couldn't place it. I actually thought of Drive when the song first started.

Love the idea of renting a movie theater. If that's not an option, just go with booking a place but not footing the bill for booze. There's no reason you need to pick up people's drinks - that's crazy that last year was making you think of not having something. I'd love to meet up with you three if there's a chance.

Your short little foray into digital comics had me shaking my head. If you guys are shocked at a trade paperback like Dark Phoenix Saga being $16.99 on Comixology, I suggest never stepping foot inside a comic book store. You'll be paying MSRP for those books in there. Speaking of Dark Phoenix Saga, Amazon has it new for $16.15, so I don't see the "savings" being drastically different between print and digital unless you're talking about a used product. If that's the case, you might as well say that used games are less expensive than new games.

Here is this nerdy computer engineer's dime tour of computer memory, likely TMI, but maybe it'll give some folks a better idea of what's going on in their machines:

When a CPU needs to read some data, it checks the storage area closest to it - if the data it needs is not there, it checks the next storage area a little farther away - if not there, then the next, and so on. In general, storage areas closer to the CPU provide their data quicker, but can't hold as much data as the larger, slower areas farther from the CPU.

To put this in terms you've heard of when computer shopping, these "storage areas" include: (from near to far) caches located on the CPU itself, RAM on connected DIMMs, and hard drives. For comparison's sake, typical sizes and access times are:

- L2/L3 cache: 1 MB, ~1 nanosecond (1/1,000,000,000 sec)
- RAM: 1 GB (1,000 MB), ~100 nanoseconds (100/1,000,000,000 sec)
- hard drive: 1 TB (1,000,000 MB), ~10 milliseconds (10/1,000 sec)

If those numbers don't mean much to you, you could say that a hard drive is around a hundred thousand times slower, and a thousand times larger, than RAM.

You want to keep as much data as possible, as close as possible to the CPU. So that's why having more RAM generally speeds things up, you're not having to get data as often from the far slower hard drive. (And also why having larger L2/L3 caches can speed things up as well, you don't have to go as often to the comparatively slower RAM)

What computers and consoles are doing while showing you "Loading..." is reading the data (level info, graphics textures, etc.) it will need for the next level from the hard drive (or CD) into RAM, so it can have the bad guy all drawn and ready for you as soon as you turn the corner. Also, reading optical CDs is even slower than hard drives, so that's why installing a game to your console HD typically results in shorter load screens.

Guys, great ep this week. When you were talking about all the games that have been delayed until 2013, I was surprised that you didn't think of this little morsel of truth: somebody is going to announce a release date at E3 for a certain game this year, and we're all pretty sure that this game is going to come out some time around the holidays, and this game probably has "G, T, A" and most likely "V" in its title.

Methinks Rockstar is about to turn on the lights and all the other games just scattered like roaches in advance.

[quote name='granom']Guys, great ep this week. When you were talking about all the games that have been delayed until 2013, I was surprised that you didn't think of this little morsel of truth: somebody is going to announce a release date at E3 for a certain game this year, and we're all pretty sure that this game is going to come out some time around the holidays, and this game probably has "G, T, A" and most likely "V" in its title.

Methinks Rockstar is about to turn on the lights and all the other games just scattered like roaches in advance.[/QUOTE]

That could be, but Rockstar has a track record of releasing their games in April/May. I would be shocked if GTA V was a fall 2012 release.

[quote name='Wombat']I had a sub for a few years. Most story lines are incomplete making it a waste of money.[/QUOTE]Agreed. It was rare when you could read a complete storyline using Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. It also had a bad habit of cutting off panels and dialog when read in guided view. Comixology does it a lot better. The prices are out of whack because they don't want to upset comic shops. You have to wait for them to have their $0.99 sales. They do several a week.

No one else thinks that renting a movie theater is a bad idea?

Watching a movie is a solo experience (except if you are getting a handy. . . and i doubt that Cheapy and the gang plan on offering that service). So you are going to meet up, sit in a quiet theater, and watch a movie together? Where is the social interaction? Go bowling, kite flying, or something! Do something where you can actually talk to each other. That is what a meet-up is all about?

Hmm I cant seem to find the CAG cast on Itunes anymore, I just see Ship's old pod cast Cag Foreplay.

Firstly, I've been listening to the CAGcast for a long while now, and I have to say it is by far my favorite podcast. I never miss a week. So thanks for a great show.

I just wanted to say that you are right that (as you've noted on past shows) fitbit should really sponsor you guys at this point. I've been working on changing my lifestyle for the last few months, and all your talk of the fitbit inspired me to check it out. I picked mine up today and I can't wait to give it a go (along with the CAG group).

So thanks again and keep up the great show!

bread's done
Back