Grand Theft Auto III 99 cents at Google Play

Seems like quite a few negative reviews - have you played this? I guess almost anything is worth .99..

[quote name='david69']Seems like quite a few negative reviews - have you played this? I guess almost anything is worth .99..[/QUOTE]

When you view the game's reviews on the Google Play app, filter reviews to "this device only." Reviews can vary quite a bit between devices due to Android fragmentation. It can also help to look only at reviews for the most recent version.

Shouldn't it be 'on' Google Play? Anyway, yeah I got this day one. Good luck to playing for more than 5 mins..you wait 30 mins for DL and install, watch the cutscene, say the graphics are ok, touch screen controls always suck..and that's about it!

I kind of want to get this for .99 cents but I see someone mention no sound on HP Touchpad (which is my android device)...although not sure what version they are running...alpha 2 or a nightly build. I think you can also hook up a PS3 controller to play this...but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle.

It doesnt control as poorly as you'd think. It adapts well to onscreen controls. Worth a measly buck, even if all you want to do is drive around beating hookers. The more complex story missions are annoying with touch controls.

The touchscreen controls can become a problem, but they're not too bad. The game controls very well with a 360 controller if you have a USB port and extra space to lug it around.

Tempting. For a buck it may even work as a case where I'll have something in a year that works with it. Still gotta try the touchpad though, cherrykang rom. Worst case my phone prob can play, but that seems like a terrible idea. Though it is a 4 inch screen...

It looked and ran fine on my tablet but I absolutely hated the controls. I forced myself to play for an hour thinking I'd get used to them but it never happened. I can't really think of a time when I'd want to play that game outside my house either, so I'll stick to the PC version with all of the crazy mods people have made for it.

Tried it on my Transformer Prime. The game initially failed to launch from the main menu, but a reset fixed that. I played for half an hour and experienced no crashes.

The game allows you to adjust graphics settings, including draw distance and resolution. It runs flawlessly on the Prime with everything maxed.

I played with an Xbox 360 wired controller and the controls are what you'd expect. Y to enter vehicles, A to accelerate, etc.

It's a faithful port. What more can I say?

LOVE it for iOS. I have it on my iPad 3 and iPod Touch 3rd Gen. The iPad runs it great, the iPod is very sluggish, but cool to know I have it in my pocket. ;)

Paid the original $5. $1 is awesome.

It's a shame it isn't compatible with my mytouch4g. It's a plenty powerful device bit never received much support. : /

Interesting. My HTC Inspire is compatible with higher end games like Shadowgun and Mass Effect Infiltrator but not this one. Interesting. Thanks anyway OP.

The opening and first mission played seamlessly on my Galaxy Nexus. Controls are going to take a bit to get used to, but seems like they work well enough for $1. Even if I do nothing but steal cars and drive people over, that's probably all the enjoyment I need out of it.

I have it for my Droid 4. For $.99 I say go for it - skip the 20oz soda today. Yes the touch controls can be difficult and take some getting used to. Where it fails is when you need precision targeting in a mission, but even that's the minority. Other than that, it's, well, GTA III.

Played GTA III on my iPad and I was assuming it would control horribly but to my surprise it worked amazing with touch controls. Felt at times better then the controller :eek:

But that's not to say it's easier, some missions are impossible, I think had to retry the 8 ball mission like 20 times due to the sniper.

For a $1 it's a insta buy

I bought it for $4.99. I love it. I can't stand touch screen controls so it's really nice they optimized it for the Xperia Play and did so very well, better than any game yet.

Damn, I just bought this a week ago or so for 6 bucks. Anyway, it runs great on many tablets. I play it on my Xoom and it's pretty much flawless. Now the touch screen controls aren't perfect but they are pretty decent. What I do however is use a wired xbox 360 controller and then it is all gravy! If your tablet has a USB port, you can use the controller on Droid and have a straight up console experience. In my case I had to get a usb to mini usb adapter in order to use my controller.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Why would anybody be excited about an old game like GTA 3 especially on a handheld device?[/QUOTE]

Because it's stood the test of time pretty well, and the touch controls actually work much better than most phone games. Plus, a buck. If you play the game for even just a few minutes and have a good time, you've got your money's worth.

I paid $3 on Christmas and it was worth it alone just to cruise around Liberty City jamming to Rise FM

Got it back when it was $3 for Iphone.

Honestly it's one of my least played games just based off how horrid I found the touch control. The touching itself responds well, but with it being that way, it makes the aiming so much worse than it even was previously. I know that's sort of rough to say because that was one of the problems in the first place. But it's true.

It's fun for looking back on at $1, but don't expect to not be frustrated.... a LOT.

Compatibility is usually a resolution issue with phones. I have a HTC Sensation 4G and GTA III works great on it. I use to have a G2X and downloaded Hasbro "The Game of Life" (guilty pleasure) which was great, but when I got the HTC Sensation 4G I found out that it wasn't compatible on it due to a resolution issue. It's not always a technical specs issue, sometimes it's a screen resolution problem.

Anyway, runs great on Sensation.

[quote name='BiggNick']Compatibility is usually a resolution issue with phones. I have a HTC Sensation 4G and GTA III works great on it. I use to have a G2X and downloaded Hasbro "The Game of Life" (guilty pleasure) which was great, but when I got the HTC Sensation 4G I found out that it wasn't compatible on it due to a resolution issue. It's not always a technical specs issue, sometimes it's a screen resolution problem.

Anyway, runs great on Sensation.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that disproves your resolution statement. Sensation is same phone as evo 3d hardware wise minus the 3d im pretty sure.

[quote name='kilik64']Sorry but that disproves your resolution statement. Sensation is same phone as evo 3d hardware wise minus the 3d im pretty sure.[/QUOTE]

I said usually not always. Maybe the 3d thing is an issue (s-lcd vs 3d-lcd)? Plus I noticed that the chipset is a bit different (Sensation is Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon chipset with a 1.2GHz Scorpion dual core, Evo is a Qualcomm MSM8660 chipset with a dual core 1.2Ghz).

I think the MSM8660 is for CDMA and is an underclocked 1.5GHz, MSM8620 is for GSM. Not sure if that would affect anything.

Sound works perfectly for me on my TP; running CM9 nightly 5/13 w/ wifi fix & OC'd to 1500.

[quote name='jkam']I kind of want to get this for .99 cents but I see someone mention no sound on HP Touchpad (which is my android device)...although not sure what version they are running...alpha 2 or a nightly build. I think you can also hook up a PS3 controller to play this...but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back