DC turning Promiment Male Superhero Gay in June

HanawayCoca

CAGiversary!
Speculation rises...

Is Batman gay? Major DC Comics character to come out of the closet!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-Major-DC-Comics-character-come-closet.html

batman6-1.jpg

DC Comics plans to reintroduce a character as gay in a future issue, it has been revealed.

Co-publisher Dan DiDio previously said that the company would not change the sexual orientation of an existing superhero and would bring in a new one altogether.

But at Kapow Comic Convention in London on Sunday, he revealed that an existing character - who was previously assumed to be straight - will become ‘one of our most prominent gay characters’

Senior VP Sales Bob Wayne said DiDio’s view ‘had evolved’, comparing the shift to Barack Obama’s recent endorsement of same-sex marriage.

DiDio did not specify which character would ‘come out’ or in which issue it would be featured.

Back in April, Batman writer Grant Morrison stated in a Playboy interview that the basis of Batman's character is gay.

There has been much speculation on Twitter about who the character could be

@JenWhy12 Tweeted: ‘One of the characters of DC comics will be gay, what one will it be? I hope it's Batman.’

@dnghia added: ‘DC Comics is about to unveil that one of its supeheroes is gay. Who do you think it is? My money is on Aquaman.’

DC Comics’ portfolio includes iconic characters such as Batman and Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

Update:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Gaston/news/?a=60166

today, DC’s Senior vice president Courtney Simmons revealed more details on this mystery character.
“One of the major iconic DC characters will reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June”
Well at least now we have confirmation that the character is, in fact, a male and is apparently a pretty big deal to the point where she referred to him as "iconic".

All though again no name was given, at least we can narrow down some of the options now. Who do you think this mystery character is? Make sure to leave your thoughts below!

Apologies in the advance for the disturbing picture.
PS - You really don't want to see that picture on the 2nd link.

I have nothing against gay people but.... WTF. This seems awkward and forced to get publicity.

That said, we all know it's Robin. :lol:

It's been said that whoever it is, they haven't appeared in the New 52 line yet, so it's not Batman, Robin, Superman, etc..

Man what's with all the gay Batman news going on?

Just last month: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-rises-hobbit-peter-jackson-neil-gaiman

Dark Knight, Gay Batman

The Hollywood Reporter

Batman_Bane_Kiss_Dark_Knight_Rises.jpg

Holy Gayness, Batman!

Batman comic book writer Grant Morrison sure caused a ruckus with his Playboy interview, during which he share his thoughts on his works and, more interestingly, on certain superheroes.

The man who has redefined Batman and is about to launch the new Batman Incorporated comic series, said, "Gayness is built into Batman."

He then went on: "Batman is very, very gay. There's just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he's intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that's why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get him. He doesn't care -- he's more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid."

"There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant."

Homosexual interpretations of Batman has been around almost as long as the comic book character himself.

Burt Ward, who portrayed Robin in the 1960s television show, has also remarked upon this interpretation in his autobiography writes that the relationship could be interpreted as a sexual one.

In 2006, George Clooney said in an interview with Barbara Walters that in the 1997 film, Batman & Robin, he played Batman as gay. "I was in a rubber suit and I had rubber nipples. I could have played Batman straight, but I made him gay."

Before donning the cowl, current Batman/Dark Knight actor Christian Bale had starred in various roles with homosexual or bi-sexual themes, including the film Velvet Goldmine, in which Bale and actor Ewan McGregor both shared an infamous homosexual sex scene together.

The Dark Knight Rises comes out this summer.

No way it will be Batman.

Stunts like this are all about generating buzz. The Batman books are selling really well since the re-launch and the new movie is just around the corner, the franchise doesn't need any additional buzz.

It will be some second tier character that no one really cared about before but they will re-launch with a clear change in sexual orientation, along with a tighter-fitting costume.

I suppose the media will always fall for stunts like this, but I wish comic book readers and/or the general populous wouldn't fall for this crap as well. Who really cares? It's not going to really change anything or have some kind of profound impact on the medium of comic books. This is just a stunt by DC to try and take attention away from the long time openly gay character Marvel has had for a while who is going to get married soon:

Marvel Comics plans wedding for gay hero Northstar
By MATT MOORE, Associated Press – 1 day ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Wedding bells will ring this summer for Marvel Comics' first openly gay hero, super speedster Northstar, and his longtime boyfriend.
The New York-based publisher said Tuesday that Canadian character Jean-Paul Beaubier will marry his beau, Kyle Jinadu, in the pages of "Astonishing X-Men" No. 51. That's due out June 20.

Northstar revealed he was gay in the pages of "Alpha Flight" No. 106 in 1992, one of Marvel Entertainment's first characters to do so.

Ten years later, in 2002, gay characters Apollo and the Midnighter were married in the pages of "The Authority" published by DC's Wildstorm imprint.

Since then, numerous comic book heroes and villains have been written as gay, lesbian or transgender — from DC Comics' Kate Kane, aka Batwoman, to Hulkling and Wiccan in the pages of "Young Avengers."

Comics, as a medium, have embraced gay, lesbian and transgender characters, including the introduction of Kevin Keller by Archie Comics. Comic strips have done likewise.

This month, cartoonist Tom Batiuk is writing about a gay couple trying to attend their high school prom in "Funky Winkerbean," a move that has divided the fictional community.
"As I sit in on the classes at my old high school, I see how the younger generation's attitude toward gays is more open and accepting than that of their predecessors," Batiuk said.

For Marvel, the upcoming wedding is a way to further embed same-sex issues in its contemporary universe.

"The Marvel Universe has always reflected the world outside your window, so we strive to make sure our characters, relationships and stories are grounded in that reality," said Axel Alonso, Marvel's editor-in-chief.

Author Marjorie Liu, who is writing "Astonishing X-Men," said the decision to have the pair marry was appropriate.

"As a writer — and a romance novelist, no less — I've always found it a bit odd when characters in comic books remain in relationship limbo for years at a time," she said.

"Certainly, that happens in real life — some relationships just never grow — but the wonderful thing about stories is that they tend to move readers and characters forward," Liu said, adding that Northstar pops the question in issue No. 50, which is due out on Wednesday.

"And, in this case, it was time to do the same to Northstar and Kyle, who have one of those rare comic book romances that actually works."

As for the event itself, Liu said the wedding will take place in New York City, where gay marriage is legal, but given that Northstar is on the X-Men, it remains to be seen if the event will be trouble-free.

"As for the ceremony ... well, what wedding ever goes off without a hitch?"

DC already has their big female lesbian star in the current Batwoman, so this is the last sexual orientation card they have to play by making a male gay until they go to the well of having a major character experiment with the other team and identify as bi-sexual on the spectrum of sexuality. I'm sure a character will begin to identify as transgendered as soon as transgendered rights become a hot topic of political discussion in the way homosexuality and gay marriage is right now.

And if Marvel, DC, comic fans, or society at large truly gave a fuck about LGBT issues or LGBT influence on comics, more attention would be given to the whole underground genre of LGBT comics and the often LGBT creators of said comics. Instead - publicity stunt.

[quote name='kodave']
And if Marvel, DC, comic fans, or society at large truly gave a fuck about LGBT issues or LGBT influence on comics, more attention would be given to the whole underground genre of LGBT comics and the often LGBT creators of said comics. Instead - publicity stunt.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it's the fans who blew this story up, not DC. It was just an answer to a question asked at a convention IIRC, and everyone ran with it from there. So I don't really want to say DC is to blame for this as much as the media and fans. Not to say they haven't done it in the past, but this time, I wouldn't say it's them to fault.

Anyways, regarding the character, I'm guessing Alan Scott (Green Lantern/Sentinel) who will be shown in Earth 2 soon. Character who has been around since the 40's, has/had a gay son before the reboot....my guess is him.

My guesses are:

A) Shazam

It gives the term "Big Red Cheese" a new meaning.

shazam_new_52.jpg

B) Flash (Wally West)

Just because Wally hasn't appeared yet... and also becuase of this particular "Jabba and Princess Leia" inspired cover for the new Flash comic of Barry:

flash9.jpg

It should definitely be Batman who turns out to be gay. Could be added reason why he can't seem to stay in relationships. I mean, yea, sure, he's a playboy, but it could be one of the reasons he may feel unfulfilled...just don't have him be weird and into Robin or something inappropriate and that's that.

Just gotta make sure to time it for after people have already paid to watch the new movie.

[quote name='Chronis']I have nothing against gay people but.... WTF. This seems awkward and forced to get publicity.

That said, we all know it's Robin. :lol:[/QUOTE]

pretty much not to mention theres plenty of gay heroes already ( especially in the marvel universe) cant be superman or batman no way they would do that and itd be way too out of left field . not to mention if they turn batman gay it makes his whole career really fucking creepy.

maybe green arrow or swamp thing. or maybe one of the lanterns. kyle rayner always seemed a bit fem.

[quote name='kodave']I suppose the media will always fall for stunts like this, but I wish comic book readers and/or the general populous wouldn't fall for this crap as well. Who really cares? It's not going to really change anything or have some kind of profound impact on the medium of comic books. This is just a stunt by DC to try and take attention away from the long time openly gay character Marvel has had for a while who is going to get married soon:

DC already has their big female lesbian star in the current Batwoman, so this is the last sexual orientation card they have to play by making a male gay until they go to the well of having a major character experiment with the other team and identify as bi-sexual on the spectrum of sexuality. I'm sure a character will begin to identify as transgendered as soon as transgendered rights become a hot topic of political discussion in the way homosexuality and gay marriage is right now.

And if Marvel, DC, comic fans, or society at large truly gave a fuck about LGBT issues or LGBT influence on comics, more attention would be given to the whole underground genre of LGBT comics and the often LGBT creators of said comics. Instead - publicity stunt.[/QUOTE]

marvel kinda has of late from what ive seen. youve got northstar, theres 2 or 3 gay kids in the avengers academy, wolverines son was gay or bi not too sure theres some other ones i cant think of them now.

[quote name='sykotek']It should definitely be Batman who turns out to be gay. Could be added reason why he can't seem to stay in relationships. I mean, yea, sure, he's a playboy, but it could be one of the reasons he may feel unfulfilled...just don't have him be weird and into Robin or something inappropriate and that's that.

Just gotta make sure to time it for after people have already paid to watch the new movie.[/QUOTE]

Batman's sexual orientation is Gotham.

[quote name='Cantatus']Batman's sexual orientation is Gotham.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I saw that.

@Ssnyder1835
Bruce is Gothamsexual.
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/205382622766047233

For some reason that that "Bruce is Gothamsexual" statement feels like Snyder is just shielding Batman's orientation.

It would've been just easier for Snyder to just say Batman is straight.

Grant Morrison just flat out said Batman is gay, so Snyder should've just countered it with straight... but instead he just went with Gothamsexual.

This really isn't all that shocking. The new Batgirl is a lesbian and Wolverine's son is bisexual.
No way is it going to be a major member of the Justice League. Probably going to be Plastic Man or some shit.

It's already been stated the character has not yet appeared in the rebooted universe, and Drake's already established as Red Robin in the New 52, so it's not him, unless they were lying just to throw us off.

Really surprised this is getting any news at all. As others have already said, there are already a number of gay comic book characters, even in the DC Universe. I don't follow comics really closely, but I didn't know the New 52 lost so much steam after the launch that DC had to resort to this...

...I doubt it's really gonna be a "major" or "iconic" character. I see this becoming an epic fail, like when Monarch was suppose to be one of Earth's greatest heroes gone bad, and it ended up being fucking Hawk...originally it was suppose to be Captain Atom, and that would've been a dud, too. I'm sure this is gonna end up being like Al Pratt or someone no one knows and/or cares about, but they will justify the "major" and "iconic" claims by saying he's been around since the Golden Age...

According to Google here are the current list of Top 4 most popular asked questions for each DC superhero on Google:

Batman
1) Is Batman a superhero
2) Is Batman gay
3) Is Batman Marvel
4) Is Batman afraid of bats

Robin
1) Is Robin a girl
2) Is Robin dead
3) Is Robin Batman's son
4) Is Robin gay

Superman
1) Is Superman Marvel or DC
2) Is Superman in the Avengers
3) Is Superman immortal
4) Is Superman dead

Wonder Woman
1) Is Wonder Woman an Avenger
2) Is Wonder Woman immortal
3) Is Wonder Woman an amazon
4) Is Wonder Woman a virgin

Green Lantern
1) Is Green Lantern an Avenger
2) Is Green Lantern black
3) Is Green Lantern Marvel or DC
4) Is Green Lantern black or white

Green Arrow
1) Is Green Arrow gay
2) Is Green Arrow a good guy
3) Is Green Arrow in The Avengers movie
4) Is Green Arrow in Thor

Flash
1) Is the Flash faster than Superman
2) Is the Flash DC or Marvel
3) Is the Flash Pass (Six Flags) worth it
4) Is the Flash the most powerful superhero

Aquaman
1) Is Aquaman DC or Marvel
2) Is Aquaman gay

3) Is Aquaman useless
4) Is Aquaman part of Justice League

====

These are obviously questions asked by the general public who necessarily are not that familiar about the comic books.

But it looks like it's basically Batman, Robin, Green Arrow, and Aquaman whom the general public consider to have some kind of gayness.

For curiousity, here are Google's current Top 4 most popular asked questions for Marvel heroes:

Spider-Man
1) Is Spider-Man an Avenger
2) Is Spider-Man in the Avengers
3) Is Spider-Man part of the Avengers
4) Is Spider-Man Marvel

Iron Man
1) Is Iron Man on Netflix
2) Is Iron Man an Avenger
3) Is Iron Man a superhero
4) Is Iron Man 2 on Netflix

Captain America
1) Is Captain America on Netflix
2) Is Captain America dead
3) Is Captain America immortal
4) Is Captain America leader of the Avengers

Hulk
1) Is the Hulk good or bad
2) Is the Hulk invincible
3) Is the Hulk the strongest superhero
4) Is the Hulk a bad guy

Thor
1) Is Thor a demigod
2) Is Thor a god
3) Is Thor on Netflix
4) Is Thor a Greek god

Wolverine
1) Is Wolverine part of the Avengers
2) Is Wolverine immortal
3) Is Wolverine an Avenger
4) Is Wolverine Canadian

Daredevil
1) Is Daredevil blind
2) Is Daredevil an Avenger
3) Is Daredevil in Elektra
4) Is Daredevil on Netflix

Black Widow
1) Is Black Widow good or bad
2) Is Black Widow an Avenger
3) Is Black Widow a villain
4) Is Black Widow deadly

Batman and Robin's sexuality has always been a running joke, so that's not a surprise. And Aquaman is just the butt of EVERY kind of joke, so that's not surprising, either. As a superhero fan, the Green Arrow thing is a bit of a shocker, but I guess the outfit is a little questionable. But he's been bagging Black Canary for decades.

People asking if Batman and Robin are gay has nothing to do with this DC stunt. People have been asking that or implying that in conversations for ages. A tale as old as time. The man in cowl buttfucking his teenage ward in tights.

[quote name='kodave']People asking if Batman and Robin are gay has nothing to do with this DC stunt. People have been asking that or implying that in conversations for ages. A tale as old as time. The man in cowl buttfucking his teenage ward in tights.[/QUOTE]

People would likely be making the same jokes about any of the other superheroes had their teenage sidekicks been as resilient as Robin. They forget that Batman was hardly the only superhero hobnobbing with an underage boy in tights during the Golden Age. Just about all the major characters jumped on that bandwagon once Robin proved to be a successful edition, but few really had the staying power.

Honestly, I really wouldn't care if they confirmed Batman was gay...well, Bruce Wayne that is. It makes perfect sense to me already that he is, and it really wouldn't change anything about him as Batman, but I do think it'd be inappropriate for him to be in any sort of sexual relations with Robin...taking advantage of your child ward, that would not be kosher.

I mean, most of you here are saying DC is doing this for publicity anyways, ...they should be perfectly prepared for any sort of backlash this type of stunt would get them. May as well go big and have one of their most prominent mainstream and well known characters be the one to come out than some random one no one who doesn't follow comics knows anything about.

If I were them though, I'd definitely wait until after the new movie revenue rolls in and the movie is already off theater screens though.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Probably going to be Plastic Man[/QUOTE]

I don't think the one guy who can have a 40-foot long penis is the best candidate for becoming publicly gay. He would instantly become the most feared super-villian in all of the DC universes at the same time.

[quote name='Kerig']I don't think the one guy who can have a 40-foot long penis is the best candidate for becoming publicly gay. He would instantly become the most feared super-villian in all of the DC universes at the same time.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

My buddy posted a link on FB that had a write up about who it is/might be
Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy Batson
and he was completely in shock over it. I don't know if its him (its possible), but he was really upset over it.

The only thing that doesn't fit that is that the character has already been seen in the back of
Justice League
for the past few months.

I really don't care unless it messes with the character completely (Hal Jordan suddenly not being into Carol, Aquaman and Mera, Oliver not being a playboy/into Black Canary). If they hadn't said someone who hasn't been in n52 yet my money would be on Cyborg. He's been around for years, been in 2 animated series (Super Powers and Teen Titans) and in the Justice League: Doom movie. He'd fit.

[quote name='sykotek']Honestly, I really wouldn't care if they confirmed Batman was gay...well, Bruce Wayne that is. It makes perfect sense to me already that he is, and it really wouldn't change anything about him as Batman, but I do think it'd be inappropriate for him to be in any sort of sexual relations with Robin...taking advantage of your child ward, that would not be kosher.

I mean, most of you here are saying DC is doing this for publicity anyways, ...they should be perfectly prepared for any sort of backlash this type of stunt would get them. May as well go big and have one of their most prominent mainstream and well known characters be the one to come out than some random one no one who doesn't follow comics knows anything about.

If I were them though, I'd definitely wait until after the new movie revenue rolls in and the movie is already off theater screens though.[/QUOTE]
thats another reason why i dont think its batman or any of his "kids" alot of people would be pissed off by that happening and that would cause their movie sales to suffer.alot of comic fans take their heroes very freaking seriously so you have to tread lightly when doing those kinds of changes.

could be azrael though or any of those suit of sorrows guys. how funny would that be for a religious based super hero to be gay. fighting sins while living with a big one that many religions are against.

[quote name='perdition(troy']annnnd its green lantern. yay, lets throw a party and pretend its so cutting edge and awesome.[/QUOTE]
Pink Lantern? Maybe Rainbow Lantern now?;)

[quote name='perdition(troy']annnnd its green lantern. yay, lets throw a party and pretend its so cutting edge and awesome.[/QUOTE]

It's Alan Scott of Earth 2. Green Lantern would imply Hal Jordan. :) I guess his gay son is written out of continuity.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, really. One of the more recent Green Lanterns would have been better.[/QUOTE]
Guy Gardner?

Man, DC is just being gay.

Of course they won't come out and say it would be Batman even though the population including DC writers already think so, but a 2nd tier Green Lantern?

Is DC saving up for a pedophilia character next?

Next up who will be coming out of the closet...... Aquaman.

Playing the homosexual card for attention grabbing sake and not even having the balls to pull the trigger on somebody really significant.

So it's come this DC...

[quote name='ced']Playing the homosexual card for attention grabbing sake and not even having the balls to pull the trigger on somebody really significant.

So it's come this DC...[/QUOTE]
Are people REALLY that surprised? There's no reason for a character like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman or even Green Lantern to come out because they have enough popularity. Especially with Batman who without a doubt is the most popular character from DC and in a way making him gay can only hurt his popularity.

If they do the outing of a lesser known character then it can only help in boosting sales. Especially when they're reestablishing that character for the new DC Universe and they're only on the second issue of the comic this month. So we should've all come to expect this and frankly a Green Lantern was the safest bet since there was originally four and now five. So there has to be something to distinguish personality wise.

From DC:

DC’s Senior vice president Courtney Simmons revealed more details on this mystery character.

“One of the major iconic DC characters will reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June”
[quote name='bardockkun']If they do the outing of a lesser known character then it can only help in boosting sales. Especially when they're reestablishing that character for the new DC Universe and they're only on the second issue of the comic this month. So we should've all come to expect this and frankly a Green Lantern was the safest bet since there was originally four and now five. So there has to be something to distinguish personality wise.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

"Lesser" and "Safest".

So much for that giant headline DC.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Exactly.

"Lesser" and "Safest".

So much for that giant headline DC.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, he was the first Green Lantern in the Golden Age of comics. Though to be totally fair he only shared the name, but outfit and origin of his powers had little relation to the current Green Lantern corps. So he is prominent in the sense of being that guy who called out "FIRST!" on a thread and then contributes little much else.

And DC's got to steal some of that thunder out from the grasp of Marvel somehow apparently. Eventhough this whole stunt just makes them out to be shameless and grasping at straws.

This also brings to light on how are they going (if even) establish Alan Scott's half-alien daughter, Jade. Since she's no where to be seen or found after the Universe reboot. I Guess they can always establish reverse rape again since it's happend to two other DC heroes in the past decade or two.

[quote name='Chase']Guy Gardner would have been a more reasonable pick. Always thought that dude was flaming. *jazz hands*[/QUOTE]
Really? Jon Stewart was my other top pick, because of his many identity crisis' and the fact he hasn't had a love interest in years. Guy at least has Ice.

bread's done
Back