Half Price Books 20% Off Sale - Memorial Day Weekend

Pretty good deal. Sadly I don't have a HPB near me.

This would get you a $60 dollar game for only $48. Not bad if there is something you want that hasn't dropped much.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Pretty good deal. Sadly I don't have a HPB near me.

This would get you a $60 dollar game for only $48. Not bad if there is something you want that hasn't dropped much.[/QUOTE]

Half Price Books is a used book/movie/game store so they don't carry new games.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']Half Price Books is a used book/movie/game store so they don't carry new games.[/QUOTE]

It shows you how much I know. :razz:

Still it's not an awful deal. A $20 game for $16.

I just spent over $100 there last week. Shite.

I'll be back for this though, to build up a book backlog for the honeymoon :).

FWIW people HPB is not a bad place for games, at least not here. I get guides there all the time, along with a lot of cheap cart-based games. Picked up twin snakes for $20 complete the other day. Not amazing but with the discounts you can find some good stuff.

EDIT: Forgot they had piles and piles of Super Meat Boy hard copies. Steam redeemable and comes with some artwook and a poster for $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed on halfprice for game selection

a lot of the time they'll carry a number of generations' software that can't be found except for ebay or pricey specialty stores. i grabbed EDF2017 for $9 at one a week ago and saw a bunch of great-looking games from last gen, the N64/PSX era, and even back to 16-bit games in fantastic condition

much appreciated for the heads up

All of the HPB around my area have their heads up their asses about game prices. IIRC they had Duck Hunt/SMB for $15-20...absolutely ridiculous.

I did go and get some game guides/books today though, great deals on those.

[quote name='fujimitsu']I just spent over $100 there last week. Shite.

I'll be back for this though, to build up a book backlog for the honeymoon :).

FWIW people HPB is not a bad place for games, at least not here. I get guides there all the time, along with a lot of cheap cart-based games. Picked up twin snakes for $20 complete the other day. Not amazing but with the discounts you can find some good stuff.

EDIT: Forgot they had piles and piles of Super Meat Boy hard copies. Steam redeemable and comes with some artwook and a poster for $5.[/QUOTE]

I also picked up a copy of Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition. Great deal, although mine was priced at $4.00. :D

I am planing on making a Half Price Books visit myself this weekend. Hope to find some goods.

[quote name='AionTelos']They have a great selection of comics at my place. All 25c each :D[/QUOTE]

By me all the comics are $1 each ot more. :cry:

I scoped out the store closest to me on Thursday but there wasn't much of interest, even with the 20% off. :S
I did consider grabbing some extra PS2 Memory Cards at $2.99 a pop (before discount) but I decided to save my money.

I might cruise down to the other store near my Dad's house tomorrow...I usually have better luck at that one.
For example, I got a StarFox Super Weekend cart for $100 there last summer (it usually sells for $300+)!

I was just in my local store last week and was extremely surprised at how big there gaming inventory had grown. But I think almost every price tag I saw was laughable. I guess I'll go back tomorrow and give it a second look with this sale going on.

Found tales of vesperia guide for $6 and resident evil archives volume one for $8.

Guess they only check amazon on the games, not game books, lol.

Usually they are the first place to jack up prices to eBay levels.

They don't check prices for guides, so it's an amazing place to get older guides for decent prices. 3.99-12.99 most of the time.

Games are almost 100% checked online at Amazon for pricing. Still, HPB is my #1 retro game/guide place pretty much for consistent finds.

I have about 7 HPB in my area and pricing all depends on who does it. At some locations, they have game savvy pricers and some do not. Some will price guides on the Internet. Every once in a while one can find a rare one priced low, but often they are listed as OoP and priced pretty high. I bought one RE Archives I for $6 and another was listed @ $60 at another location.

It is always a good idea to check for the awesome finds even if they can be rare.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']Just scored a copy of Miner 2049er Volume II for Atari 2600 for $4.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, I understand how great of a find that is! :applause: (in case no one else acknowledges it)

I bought a copy of the Best of American Splendor at my local HPB for $5. Got home and turns out it was signed by the good man Harvey Pekar. That was a good day

Overall I rarely go to HPB because their prices are awful and they basically ruin anything that's complete. The local store's policy is to use packaging tape around cardboard boxes for complete games - Then price them at amazon prices. Good luck getting that off without tearing the artwork.

I find minimum of $7 for PS2/xbox/gc games that aren't sports, and minimum of $20 on 360/PS3 games.
Pretty much dumbasses pricing around here, think every game is rare or something. And they pay the fools who bring this stuff in like, a quarter for older games, maybe a dollar or two for newer.

[quote name='ch298807']I bought a copy of the Best of American Splendor at my local HPB for $5. Got home and turns out it was signed by the good man Harvey Pekar. That was a good day[/QUOTE]

Again:
Just so you know, I understand how great of a find that is! :applause: (in case no one else acknowledges it)

bread's done
Back