DayZ mod for Arma II, Actual Zombie Survival

Yeah, you need both Arma II and it's expansion, Operation Arrowhead. There's a bundle on steam for $29.99 for both, but once it gets to around $15 I'll get it for sure.

Amazon just had the dual pack for 15 (I bought it) but they ran out of keys. They had each individual DLC for 10. ARMA II has been selling like crazy since the mod came out.

So the only thing that I don't think I like is that your character continues to need food and water while you aren't playing. That way when you hop back into the game after a few days break all your progress is gone since you're dying from starvation.

Oh, the other thing is that day and night cycles are in real time. I know they're striving for realism, but that's pretty frustrating for anyone who has a job and comes home in evenings.

I don't have this game. I'm just waiting for a semi-decent deal on steam so I can pick it up.

[quote name='testisbest']So the only thing that I don't think I like is that your character continues to need food and water while you aren't playing. That way when you hop back into the game after a few days break all your progress is gone since you're dying from starvation.

Oh, the other thing is that day and night cycles are in real time. I know they're striving for realism, but that's pretty frustrating for anyone who has a job and comes home in evenings.

I don't have this game. I'm just waiting for a semi-decent deal on steam so I can pick it up.[/QUOTE]

The zombie apocalypse takes a break for no one. I think the hyper realism is what sells this game... I guess you gotta make time every day to at least feed your character. Just consider it a grown up version of a tamagotchi.

[quote name='testisbest']

I don't have this game. I'm just waiting for a semi-decent deal on steam so I can pick it up.[/QUOTE]

The real-time day/night cycle was pretty off-putting at first. The first time I started was at 10pm on a moonless night and I couldn't even see the gun in my hand. I left that server pretty quickly. Since then, I've had almost no trouble finding a server with modded cycles. Very few are ever dark when I join (usually around 7pm). Most do opposite day/night cycles to accommodate players with jobs.

Yeah, I'd say wait until the summer sale to pick it up. I don't regret dropping $30 on it, but I'm sure it'll be on sale soon enough.

Despite some bugs and the atrocious inventory system, this game is crazy fun and super tense. The rarity of supplies and weapons just makes it so much more brutal. I love it. And I'll be honest: unless I know you in real life, I'll probably kill you in-game. Trust nobody.

I've watched so many videos and streams of this mod.. It looks amazing. I haven't actively been looking for a deal on ARMA II but I'm going to have to start.

Feel free to share a good deal in this thread if you find one!

Finally got this installed and going yesterday. Took a bit because I wasn't installing Arma and OA in the same directory. Played a few rounds, didn't last more than 10 minutes either time. My internet is not too fast so it affects the games I can join, but I had a lot of fun even if I just ended up dying quickly both times. Being swarmed by zombies at night while you are bleeding to death is a scary situation.

I would like to get ARMA II (preferrably on sale on Steam), but isn't ARMA 3 coming out during the summer? Has the dev(s) said anything about the future of this mod in regards to the main game update?

And are zombies still like 30 Days of Night zombies, rather do they run ridiculously fast still?

[quote name='option.iv']I would like to get ARMA II (preferrably on sale on Steam), but isn't ARMA 3 coming out during the summer? Has the dev(s) said anything about the future of this mod in regards to the main game update?

And are zombies still like 30 Days of Night zombies, rather do they run ridiculously fast still?[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for the Steam summer sale.
I think I remember Arma III being pushed to November or something like that.
As far as I can tell, most of the Arma II mods will be transferable to Arma III- but someone please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Also, 30 Days of Night was vampires. Not zombies, dude. :)

Haha, sorry, real late. But yeah, I would prefer if the zombies were the classic Romero type. Maybe slow em down, but give them more health and possibly increase their numbers? Make it so, a single gun can't quite one shot all the zombies in the vicinity and not rely on the speed of the zombies.

From videos, the path they take is quite awkward. They run at an angle, dart straight at you, and then stop in front of you and start swinging. They'd make pretty good wide receivers.

When I played the zombies could run pretty fast, but not all of them did so.

They sort of just plod along until they see you and then they dart or run towards you. One was like hunched down and crawling almost but it still crawled pretty fast towards me. The key is really to avoid the zombies at all cost because even with a gun, it's hard to stay alive with more than one zombie coming at you.

Yeah, the zombie movements are pretty erratic and tend to be pretty glitchy. According to patch notes, the new 1.7.1 update (due within the next week or so) should improve movement animations and fix the bug that allows them to see through walls and attack through walls.

I have no idea when Arma III is expected to release, but the creator of Day Z has said that the mod was tested in Arma III and it ran really well; it even supported 100+ players.

I'm setting this up right now. Any CAG recommended servers? I don't want to enter a zombie filled world alone. I'd much rather get eaten knowing the person being devoured next to me also bought Arma2 on sale.

[quote name='lito88']ARMA II: Combined Operations is number 1 in the steam sales charts. Would be stupid to put it on sale right now.[/QUOTE]

not if they sell a shitload more copies. I'm sure there is some accountants at valve and bi working out the math.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The zombie apocalypse takes a break for no one. I think the hyper realism is what sells this game... I guess you gotta make time every day to at least feed your character. Just consider it a grown up version of a tamagotchi.[/QUOTE]

:lol: If I were to make a game it would be much like what this mod sounds like. Can't wait to play it! We'll be seeing more games like this in the future, at least I hope.

[quote name='BrentronD']http://kotaku.com/5924227/dayz-creator-ponders-a-free+to+play-standalone-version

Possible good news for those cheapasses like myself who think $30 is too much just for an alpha mod.[/QUOTE]

Arma II itself isn't bad either in the little bit I played. That article just points to the dev's wish for the game down the line, no real substance as to whether it will happen, how long it would take, or if BI would even let it happen (which I really doubt they would). I'd rather they make it a paid standalone as opposed to some freemium mess that's not enjoyable unless you pump money into it.

What sucks was I was looking for a good deal on arma 2 a few months before dayz exploded. Now I have to pay the inflated price cause of it's popularity.

I think Arma 2 will be close to 50% when it's featured during the sale, I hope that it is the case for some of my friends who are on the "money fence"(know they want to play, on the fence about what to pay).

Games fun, I've enjoyed it a lot but I'm currently waiting for 1.7.2.1 as i have a camo skin and 1.7.2 has a glitch with camo so I don't want to login. (knowing me by the time i log in with a working hotfix I'll die in 30 minutes anyway :/ )

if you want more reads like the one posted above I like to watch www.reddit.com/r/dayz/

lots of great stories and videos there, I've posted a few myself.

Just picked this up the other day. Can't say I'm very good though. I don't know how to properly use the server stuff, but the game is amazing fun, and I can't explain why.

[quote name='triplehelix']
Games fun, I've enjoyed it a lot but I'm currently waiting for 1.7.2.1 as i have a camo skin and 1.7.2 has a glitch with camo so I don't want to login. (knowing me by the time i log in with a working hotfix I'll die in 30 minutes anyway :/ )

.[/QUOTE]

How do I know what version number I have. If I attempt to launch through the Arma2 servers it says I have 1.60, but everyone else is above that and I can't join. But using the Six launcher I usually don't have a problem.

I just want to make sure that I'm up to date at all times.

[quote name='McCHitman']How do I know what version number I have. If I attempt to launch through the Arma2 servers it says I have 1.60, but everyone else is above that and I can't join. But using the Six launcher I usually don't have a problem.

I just want to make sure that I'm up to date at all times.[/QUOTE]

I use to use six uploader as it does a pretty good job of keeping you up to date. Otherwise you have to keep up in the www.dayzmod.com/forums in order to know what version of dayz is released when.

the 1.60 you're seeing is the beta patch for arma2. you can get the latest version at this link: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

You will need the latest beta patch with the latest dayz patch to play on most servers. If this is too complicated or not interesting to you, just keep using six uploader as it will ensure you are patched to the correct version when you join a server.

If i need to clarify any of this please let me know what I explained too ambiguously and I'll add more detail (I threw this together real quick).

Good luck and have fun :)

[quote name='Scouter']do you guys suggest using the six updater as the easiest way to keep your game up to date?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Download, install both required ArmA 2 games. Then run both. After that open up Six Launcher and under Options check the two beta options and leave the rest alone. Finally verify and launch the game that way every time and you should be fine.

This game is great...kinda irked how I died though. I was able to avoid pk'er at spawn, able to run away from zombies (apparently seems to be locked out from getting to the docks), but I died sort of due to thirst. I panicked and went running around town searching for a water source when the canteen icon started to blink, then I got cornered in a shack and ended in death. I did research and apparently you can drink the ocean water.

Also, I ended up finding a hunting knife...is this equip-able?

Which servers do most CAG play on? Also, is six updater necessary after you install the mod files? Thanks

[quote name='dejeckt']This game is great...kinda irked how I died though. I was able to avoid pk'er at spawn, able to run away from zombies (apparently seems to be locked out from getting to the docks), but I died sort of due to thirst. I panicked and went running around town searching for a water source when the canteen icon started to blink, then I got cornered in a shack and ended in death. I did research and apparently you can drink the ocean water.

Also, I ended up finding a hunting knife...is this equip-able?
[/QUOTE]
i believe they don't allow you to drink ocean water anymore. there were too many campers around the starting area.
about the hunting knife; you can't equip it, but you can use it to get blood and meat from animals that you kill

[quote name='Scouter']i believe they don't allow you to drink ocean water anymore. there were too many campers around the starting area.
about the hunting knife; you can't equip it, but you can use it to get blood and meat from animals that you kill[/QUOTE]

I figured out the hard way. Where are the water sources? So far I am able to get by with sodas, but would like to know where water sources are.

I killed another player today; felt bad afterwards though. I was getting chased by zombies, and decided to lose the zombies through an open building. There was this dude just looking through gear/items and I shot him (didn't wanted to take the chance after finally finding a gun). Went back to check his body...and he had no weapons.

I picked up ARMA 2 with the Steam sale (and the expansion) so I'm really looking forward to hopping into Day Z after I get familiar with the controls of ARMA. Any good resources for people starting out?

[quote name='ttocs']I picked up ARMA 2 with the Steam sale (and the expansion) so I'm really looking forward to hopping into Day Z after I get familiar with the controls of ARMA. Any good resources for people starting out?[/QUOTE]

Go through all of ARMA II's in game tutorial. I didn't do it myself, but I believe it teaches you all of the controls.

Quick tip on control-
Use numpad to look behind or sideways, useful when you're running for your dear life.
Hold right mouse click to zoom, tap right mouse click to aim down your sights.
Press 'g' to access your gear
'z' to go prone, 'x' to crouch, 'c' to stand up

*edit* Could I also get an invite to CAG Day Z group? Steam name is 'dejeckt' thanks

[quote name='dejeckt']

*edit* Could I also get an invite to CAG Day Z group? Steam name is 'dejeckt' thanks[/QUOTE]

sent!

oh and some dude just shot me in the back of the head when i had no weapons. i just laid on the ground for the next 5 minutes bleeding out. it sucks to play alone. -_-

[quote name='Scouter']sent!

oh and some dude just shot me in the back of the head when i had no weapons. i just laid on the ground for the next 5 minutes bleeding out. it sucks to play alone. -_-[/QUOTE]

Ummmz...was this last night... do you go by killer1225 or something on Dayz? I hope I didn't shoot you, but I did a dick move like that (couldn't take the chance of losing my gun). Thanks for the invite. How do you join up with groups within Dayz? How do you type/talk in game?

nope, it happened just 15 minutes or so ago; i go by Ryner on DayZ. no problem! well i use the six launcher so i can't join your game by the friend's list but if you give me your server i can join it and we can meet up in one of the cities. i don't think you can type in the game, they took that function out.

Yea I use six launcher too, I'm working and have class later so I be able to play 10:30ish pst (8 hours and 20 mins from now).

Hmmz, could we run ARMAII CO and then find dayz servers through ARMA II. We could use steam chat function to communicate.

i don't think you can do it that way if you use six launcher, because i tried doing that before. steam chat for communication sounds good though.

bread's done
Back