- - - - -

DayZ mod for Arma II, Actual Zombie Survival

#61 gbpackers94   Julius, Ph.D. CAGiversary!   3032 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

gbpackers94

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Does anyone happen to have a code for CO that they would be willing to sell for cheaper than $30?

Also I have a question:
A while back I got Arma II for free from greenmangaming. Its not on steam, but if I downloaded Operation Arrowhead, would I be able to play Dayz through OA on steam?

#62 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

For those wondering, the beta is usually updated a few times a week. Good guide, I'm sure it will help many people.

Hmm, to make it easier, people can just make a batch file.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead
copy "Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "ArmA2OA.exe"
pause

I tried making links (mklink), but it doesn't work since the beta is deleted and remade with every update, thus breaking the links.

#63 Scouter   El Psy Kangaroo CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

what do we do with the code that you just made?

#64 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

what do we do with the code that you just made?

You're going to make a .bat file. Basically, open notepad. Copy paste that code. Finally save as, all files, and rename to something with the .bat extension. Just double click on it whenever you see that the beta is updated.

#65 dejeckt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Thanks BrentronD for the info on how to integrate it to steam, but it seems way too much work for me. I think I rather alt+tab to group chat...only problem is that it'll fold DayZ.

#66 Scouter   El Psy Kangaroo CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

you should definitely try it. the process literally only takes 2-3 minutes, 5 tops.

#67 Ruahrc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

Those previous instructions seem a little redundant. They also block you out from running the original ArmA:CO game.

What I did instead was just "add a non-steam game" to my library which was the beta version of the .exe. You adjust the launch parameters to load the beta version and dayZ mod, and you're good to go. I like having the steam overlay so I can pull up the browser and refer to an online map and also chat with friends.

Since you're adding another entry in your library just for DayZ, you don't end up messing with the Arma2 CO installation at all and can launch that normally if you want the "vanilla" game.

The only "drawback" here is that you'll have to manually update the mod(?), and also use the in-game server browser. However, frankly I find the in-game server browser more responsive and since I can filter by text, I don't get all 2500 DayZ servers at once, just ones I would actually join (for example ones in the US, or with ping <200ms or something).

However, I think if you just periodically ran six launcher every now and then, it would download all the necessary updates to Arma and DayZ. Then just quit six launcher and launch the game again via Steam.

P.S. one thing I have noticed about using the steam overlay in Arma2 is that it sometimes screws up the registration of your shift and tab keys. For example if you shift-tab into the overlay, then go back to the game, and press esc to bring up the menu, all the menu entries will be flashing. It also screws up chat comms since tab is the key for autocomplete. So you type a letter and you get a whole word, and you can't seem to erase it. This is because the game thinks you are basically holding down the tab key. To fix it just press tab once and it'll stop. The same goes for shift, sometimes you shift+tab into the overlay and when you go back, you find you can't run/walk/whatever because shift isn't responding. To fix it, just tap shift once and it should clear up. Maybe you need to cycle the overlay and then press shift again, etc. but it eventually clears itself up. Now that I figured out what was causing it, it's not a big deal but if you see this behavior too, that's why.

Last thing: anyone know how to get VOIP to work in Arma2? I hold caps lock and see the microphone, but I tried talking to someone and said he couldn't hear me. I was using the "direct communication" (white) channel in the game. Anyone know what's wrong or how I can test it?

#68 dejeckt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

Those previous instructions seem a little redundant. They also block you out from running the original ArmA:CO game.

What I did instead was just "add a non-steam game" to my library which was the beta version of the .exe. You adjust the launch parameters to load the beta version and dayZ mod, and you're good to go. I like having the steam overlay so I can pull up the browser and refer to an online map and also chat with friends.

Since you're adding another entry in your library just for DayZ, you don't end up messing with the Arma2 CO installation at all and can launch that normally if you want the "vanilla" game.

The only "drawback" here is that you'll have to manually update the mod(?), and also use the in-game server browser. However, frankly I find the in-game server browser more responsive and since I can filter by text, I don't get all 2500 DayZ servers at once, just ones I would actually join (for example ones in the US, or with ping <200ms or something).

However, I think if you just periodically ran six launcher every now and then, it would download all the necessary updates to Arma and DayZ. Then just quit six launcher and launch the game again via Steam.

P.S. one thing I have noticed about using the steam overlay in Arma2 is that it sometimes screws up the registration of your shift and tab keys. For example if you shift-tab into the overlay, then go back to the game, and press esc to bring up the menu, all the menu entries will be flashing. It also screws up chat comms since tab is the key for autocomplete. So you type a letter and you get a whole word, and you can't seem to erase it. This is because the game thinks you are basically holding down the tab key. To fix it just press tab once and it'll stop. The same goes for shift, sometimes you shift+tab into the overlay and when you go back, you find you can't run/walk/whatever because shift isn't responding. To fix it, just tap shift once and it should clear up. Maybe you need to cycle the overlay and then press shift again, etc. but it eventually clears itself up. Now that I figured out what was causing it, it's not a big deal but if you see this behavior too, that's why.

Last thing: anyone know how to get VOIP to work in Arma2? I hold caps lock and see the microphone, but I tried talking to someone and said he couldn't hear me. I was using the "direct communication" (white) channel in the game. Anyone know what's wrong or how I can test it?

I feel like an idiot; I tried doing your method but I got battleeye initiation failed. Also, at the moment none of the servers are popping up, which I learned you have to get specific server's IP then add it through 'remote.' I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong...
"You adjust the launch parameters to load the beta version and dayZ mod, and you're good to go."
I had no idea how to add, input launch perimeter. At least for tonight I give up.

#69 dejeckt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

gg Brentron and Gunstar. A bit stressful in the apartments, but it was good. I wonder what time rest of CAG DayZ group members plays DayZ. I usually play 9-12 pst.

#70 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Those are all valid points.

I can confirm the wonkiness with the overlay and the in game keys as it happens once in a while. But just going shift+tab once more will clear it out.

Me and Gun also noticed drops in fps after an extended period. Not sure if it was the server or what, but we suspect it may have been the overlay.

Launching OA by itself will not work, or at the least bring up an error. But Right Clicking Arma II: OA in steam and selecting Launch Arma II: Combined Operations works fine, just with Dayz loaded. However, you can still play the single player just fine. Arma II Combined Operation is Arma II and OA combined anyway. Maybe I should just post auxillary instructions on how to use six launcher but add it as a non-steam game.

I also note there how to undo the process. Maybe I should write a quick batch file to automate this whole process.

Caps Lock worked fine for me, actually used it in several occasions. You might have to just check to make sure you have the correct input set to default and see if in game there is a mic option.

The ingame browser is certainly more responsive. However it doesn't have critical info such as what version beta the server is using, sorting by difficulty, etc.

Keep in mind we're trying to integrate Steam with a game that is very much still in Alpha state. So of course there are going to be obstacles.

Also, the instructions I posted were not mine, I simply compiled it from the various sources. Even the six launcher directs you to one of the links i posted when checking Launch through Steam if available.

edit: btw, great games Gun and dejeckt, that was the most tense experience I've had with this game so far. Unfortunately I have blood on my hands...

#71 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1033 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Pretty sure with BrentronD's instructions you are just forcing steam to boot the beta version of Arma:CO. That should be backwards compatible as I understand it. It worked fine tonight, except as you mentioned sometimes the steam overlay becomes buggy and messes with the shift and tab keys.

Had a good time playing with Brent and dejeckt tonight. Man, that game gets intense tho. We gotta get more cags in here, people we can trust!

#72 wckddudeman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

wckddudeman

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

As a headsup DayZ commander has run as steam as an option, it can be downloaded from a link off the DayZ forums, works good, just have to use sixupdater for beta updates.

I was using it last night for steam overlay, worked cleanly.

#73 triplehelix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   287 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

triplehelix

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Launching OA by itself will not work, or at the least bring up an error. But Right Clicking Arma II: OA in steam and selecting Launch Arma II: Combined Operations works fine, just with Dayz loaded. However, you can still play the single player just fine. Arma II Combined Operation is Arma II and OA combined anyway. Maybe I should just post auxillary instructions on how to use six launcher but add it as a non-steam game.

How much of this did you test? I had to make a separate launch for OA as when trying to play single missions or campaign missions for OA I found that there were issues with triggers not executing and missions becoming unfinishable because of that.

I wrote it off as just Arma being Arma, but it worked fine when I launched OA without DayZ. So I would recommend having a non-DayZ loaded icon/launcher/whatever for if you want to play vanilla OA. In my experience it's not fun to play a 30 minute mission and have it hang and not be able to complete it.

#74 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

How much of this did you test? I had to make a separate launch for OA as when trying to play single missions or campaign missions for OA I found that there were issues with triggers not executing and missions becoming unfinishable because of that.

I wrote it off as just Arma being Arma, but it worked fine when I launched OA without DayZ. So I would recommend having a non-DayZ loaded icon/launcher/whatever for if you want to play vanilla OA. In my experience it's not fun to play a 30 minute mission and have it hang and not be able to complete it.

I only tested arma ii vanilla at first and the first mission was fine. However, I just tried arma ii oa and it was going fine until I started running into bugs and an eventual freeze. Looks like I'll have to create some sort of batch file to make reverting back and forth a little easier.

As a headsup DayZ commander has run as steam as an option, it can be downloaded from a link off the DayZ forums, works good, just have to use sixupdater for beta updates.

I was using it last night for steam overlay, worked cleanly.

So basically it's just another client you have to run? And you still have to use Six Launcher? Also, when running as steam, is it as a non-steam game?

edit: Well, it looks like I'll have to list the different ways to integrate steam, with or without tracking and post the cons and what exactly people are doing. I'll also put a disclaimer on my old post about OA and ARMA II becoming buggy to unplayable after patching. But to fix that, all it requires is swapping files back and forth.

edit2: I'll revise the guide in a bit, as the launch options can be omitted so that you can play dayz through six launcher, and also play OA vanilla through steam.

Edited by BrentronD, 26 July 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#75 Ruahrc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

It looks to me like Arma2 "vanilla" and Arma2 "CO" are two different entities, as the dayz mod does not seem to affect any of the arma2 vanilla files. That's probably why Arma2 vanilla ran fine but trying Arma2 CO didn't work.

In my testing, trying to play Arma2 CO with the dayz mod loaded/installed screwed things up because I think having the mod loaded messes up with some of the game mechanics. I was unable to load/play the tutorial missions I tried. That's why I went with the separate entry route- it leaves everything in Arma2 CO alone and since it's pointing to the .exe in the beta folder, when you update the arma2 beta version, you don't need to go in and copy/move .exe files around. It also means updates to the game via steam work and don't break things either.

Basically the way the "run via Steam" option works in the Six launcher is that instead of launching Arma2's own .exe file, six launcher tells Steam.ese to "launch app id 43838247" (or whatever it is for arma2). But since you have to have the beta build of arma2 running to play dayz, you have to trick steam into launching the beta version (a different .exe file) instead of the official one, because steam thinks that app id 4376218 or whatever is a specific .exe in a specific location. That's why you need to copy the file. But as pointed out, this leads to problems when things get updated and you forget to copy the .exe over.

Basically the instructions I used (and described above) also came right from the dayz wiki too, see them here:
http://www.dayzwiki...._.28Optional.29

When you go to modify the "target" portion, I realized there is an error on the wiki page where all the tags need to be surrounded by quotes. So the target would be "C:/path/arma2co.exe" "-"-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion" "-mod=@dayz", etc. The final entry in the wiki code that disables the splash screen (speeds bootup) is not in quotes, and for it to work you have to put it in quotes too.

You can also add in the tag "-world=Chernarus" which makes the 3D background at the title screen to be Chernarus and not afghanistan (takistan?) like it is for stock Arma2 CO. This way when you go to load DayZ servers, the Chernarus "world" is already loaded and it goes faster. Alternatively you can use "-skipintro" which just disables the loading of the maps for the title screen, but you get this ugly water thing which I didn't like. Plus you have to load that Chernarus map anyway once you join a server...

#76 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ok, what I ended up doing was taking out the -beta launch options. I also went in game and unchecked everything, except the stock ArmA2 expansions. The game runs fine with the latest beta being used by steam. Went through the first two missions in OA and they played out fine. The steam version when I verified the files loaded up the last beta file that Six Updater dled. I'll repost my guide to reflect this. The six launcher just needs the beta file, none of those parameters (which were from the beta shortcut).

#77 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

I don't recommend this guide as using DayZ Commander is an infinitely easier option. It may be gotten here:
http://www.dayzcommander.com/

Spoiler

Note: If you are having trouble playing ArmA2:OA Vanilla, try these first:

Make Sure to Load only the official ArmAII Expansions
Start ArmAII:OA, Select Expansions on the title screen.
Ensure that only the following are enabled:
ArmA2: British Armed Forces (Lite)
ArmA2: Private Military Company (Lite)
ArmA2
ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead
Posted Image

Make sure there are no Launch Options
Right Click ArmA II: OA in Steam Library > Set Launch options
Clear the entries, or at least make sure there are no -beta parameters.

Verify the games files.
Right Click Arma II: OA in Steam Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache

For those who used the previous version of this guide and want to play ArmAII:OA vanilla, please update through Six Launcher and repeat Step 12. Finally, erase the Launch Options in steam.

credit to:
http://dayzmod.com/?SixUpdater
http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2728714

Edited by BrentronD, 27 July 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#78 wckddudeman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

wckddudeman

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Here is the link to the thread to download it: http://dayzmod.com/f...er-alternative/

Basically unless you know there is an update you just run this in place of sixlauncher, with the options toggled it runs as Steam game.
You use sixupdater for updating the mod without having to do it manually.
And you use steam for updating Arma II as normal.

#79 Scouter   El Psy Kangaroo CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

cool, you keep refining the guide thanks!

#80 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

Here is the link to the thread to download it: http://dayzmod.com/f...er-alternative/

Basically unless you know there is an update you just run this in place of sixlauncher, with the options toggled it runs as Steam game.
You use sixupdater for updating the mod without having to do it manually.
And you use steam for updating Arma II as normal.

You know, I just tried that and it works like a charm (pulled my hair out for nothing), I'd say that's the way to go for now. Screw the six launcher. For anyone who went through the method I detailed, the dayz commander still works, just erase the launch parameters and you're set.

Of course it means you don't really have access to the other mods (still have to use six launcher), but the DayZ commander seems like the better option to the Six Launcher.

Edited by BrentronD, 27 July 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#81 Sporkis   Will Duel 4 Mead! CAGiversary!   1750 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

I just played my first game of Day Z last night. After a few failed attempts of trying to get it to run and then trying to find a server that was on daytime since for some reason I couldn't get my flashlight to work, I finally got to play a decent game by myself. Despite being spawned in the middle of nowhere and never seeing a another player I had a blast. Took me a half an hour crawling on my stomach in heavy zombie areas to find my first weapon.

Once I got that it became a little easier despite I couldn't aim for crap. After another hour I found a can of pepsi to finally quench my thrist and I went absolutely ecstatic :lol:

Unfortunately I died shortly after on my quest for food. Never even heard that zombie running up on me until it was too late and lmao as he slowly ate my down character to death.

I might need some help for my next attempt:)

#82 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Feel free to hit up anyone on CAG in the CAG DayZ group, I'm sure anyone of us would be down to support you.

#83 wckddudeman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

wckddudeman

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

For those using Commander, it has some nice features I was looking at:
Friends list(for easily joining up)
Recent List(go back to that +11gmt server you really like for a bit of late night afternoon zombie avoidance)

#84 BrentronD   CAG in Training CAG in Training   172 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

For those using Commander, it has some nice features I was looking at:
Friends list(for easily joining up)
Recent List(go back to that +11gmt server you really like for a bit of late night afternoon zombie avoidance)

Yeah, first look at DayZ Commander, I knew that it was infinitely better for DayZ than Six Launcher. Although it only supports DayZ, I assume that most of us in this thread only got ArmAII just for DayZ. The only thing I wish it showed was Difficulty (though that may be a little redundant with the features filters).

#85 paz9x  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:52 AM

is there a key i could have hit or some other reason that upon standing from prone my reticle for the hatchet im carrying doesnt come up and i cant swing it anymore?

#86 supraazn   ¡ʎɹɐsɹǝʌıƃɐɔ CAGiversary!   1088 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

is there a key i could have hit or some other reason that upon standing from prone my reticle for the hatchet im carrying doesnt come up and i cant swing it anymore?

Hit CTRL twice or just go into first person view (Enter key on numpad)

#87 Sporkis   Will Duel 4 Mead! CAGiversary!   1750 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Feel free to hit up anyone on CAG in the CAG DayZ group, I'm sure anyone of us would be down to support you.

Thanks I'll do that. I already join the group, and just for the record my steam name is different from my CAG one, it's Sporkis.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sporkis00

Right now I'm still trying to get the hang of the basics. Still have not run into direct contact with any other survivors as of yet, came close though. I was in a hanger scavenging and heard shots. Seeing how I didn't have a weapon I high tailed it fast out of there. That and I found my first couple of bodies....including my own :lol:

#88 shosh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1129 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

is anyone gonna start a cag night for this? I finally got the hang of the game, found a crowbar, multiple food items. helicopter rotor, engine parts, wheels, and even a revolver. I started get the hang of sneaking up on zombies and taking them out.

Only to have some bitch ass noob come up to me (i thought he might be friendly) and started to hatchet me. suffice to say, we both died. all that work gone because of some bitch ass noob.

I need to find some peeps to have my back in such encounters. And how the hell do you know where you even are in the game? I press "M" for map, but its blank. I dont even have a sense of direction.

#89 crystalklear64   Ded CAGiversary!   13617 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

crystalklear64

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

pen and paper

#90 paz9x  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

is anyone gonna start a cag night for this? I finally got the hang of the game, found a crowbar, multiple food items. helicopter rotor, engine parts, wheels, and even a revolver. I started get the hang of sneaking up on zombies and taking them out.

Only to have some bitch ass noob come up to me (i thought he might be friendly) and started to hatchet me. suffice to say, we both died. all that work gone because of some bitch ass noob.

I need to find some peeps to have my back in such encounters. And how the hell do you know where you even are in the game? I press "M" for map, but its blank. I dont even have a sense of direction.

i hear there are maps online you can look at until you find your own in game
I spent some time reading the dayz forums and watching a particularly helpful video and im ready to jump back in.

I had a keyboard messup i mentioned above that cost me my life and the little bit of gear i had spent a couple hours crawling around to acquire.

What ive gathered is that any survivor encountered that is not a known friend should be treated as a threat.

Ill be on at some point throughout the day and if anybody is setting up a play time just post it here or in the steam dayz group and ill do my best to join.