Star Wars: The Old Republic - $19.99 w/ free instore pickup from BB

[quote name='fitzcain']thanks op! anyone know how much a month this is, after the trial? Want to try but so many free to play games now......[/QUOTE]

$15 Just like WOW is.

[quote name='clonesniper666']$15 Just like WOW is.[/QUOTE]

And that is what is killing me these days for MMOs.

I so want to bite on this as I always wanted to play it, but didn't have a decent desktop...now that I do, I really don't want to get sucked in to $15 a month.

How much subscription time do you get out of the box? 30 days? 60 days? or is it pay right away?

I'm holding out hope that Amazon will end up price matching and I'll just cave on it for the free shipping, rather than having to go to "Best Bullsh*t"

[quote name='mnuttster']I so want to bite on this as I always wanted to play it, but didn't have a decent desktop...now that I do, I really don't want to get sucked in to $15 a month.

How much subscription time do you get out of the box? 30 days? 60 days? or is it pay right away?[/QUOTE]

Retail box is 30 days. I'm tempted too but I doubt I'm paying for an MMO sub now or in the future.

[quote name='mnuttster']I so want to bite on this as I always wanted to play it, but didn't have a decent desktop...now that I do, I really don't want to get sucked in to $15 a month.

How much subscription time do you get out of the box? 30 days? 60 days? or is it pay right away?

I'm holding out hope that Amazon will end up price matching and I'll just cave on it for the free shipping, rather than having to go to "Best Bullsh*t"[/QUOTE]

30 days. Just try it. Its only $20 and this is something you've wanted for a long time.

[quote name='mnuttster']

How much subscription time do you get out of the box? 30 days? 60 days? or is it pay right away ?[/QUOTE]

30 Days.

[quote name='KtMack23']30 days. Just try it. Its only $20 and this is something you've wanted for a long time.[/QUOTE]

I know, I've flipped more $$$ at games I barely even cared about, but just happened to be on sale (I'm looking at you Portal 2)...

I'll cave eventually, just want to wait a bit longer till it looks as if Amazon won't price match

Actually at the EA press conference, Bioware said that starting in July, the game will be free to play up to level 15 and then you'll need a subscription.

Grabbed a copy. Premier Silver shipping is free. Would've done in-store pick up by I try to avoid my local Best Buy since they upset me. Used a $15 certificate so it was $5.xx shipped w/tax.

I think I'll wait to start the free 30 days till I'm ready to play it so I can get my $$ worth then not renew.

The game comes with 30 days free but you have to pay for the first month. I would never pay a monthly fee for a mmo. Guild Wars 2 is looking better everyday

[quote name='kyo645']Actually at the EA press conference, Bioware said that starting in July, the game will be free to play up to level 15 and then you'll need a subscription.[/QUOTE]

So, in other words, SW:TOR Starter Edition. . . .

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']it seems that we should just wait until july and save $5+tax?[/QUOTE]

Good point, order canceled. I tried to do the free weekend a couple weeks back but never had the time. I can definitely wait until July.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']it seems that we should just wait until july and save $5+tax?[/QUOTE]

Explain that math to me?

[quote name='bassec']Explain that math to me?[/QUOTE]

I assume that meant the game from Best Buy is $20, monthly fee is $15. So difference is $5. Since its going F2P up to level 12 or whatever he was taking that angle.

[quote name='sdcranford']I assume that meant the game from Best Buy is $20, monthly fee is $15. So difference is $5. Since its going F2P up to level 12 or whatever he was taking that angle.[/QUOTE]

Well you can still buy it now @ $19.99, then register it after it goes F2P and you level up to 15. Seems like best case scenario to me.

[quote name='bassec']Well you can still buy it now @ $19.99, then register it after it goes F2P and you level up to 15. Seems like best case scenario to me.[/QUOTE]

I think this actually makes less sense. It would make more sense to buy now at $20, hold onto your reg code, play after "F2P" until you hit 15 on a character, then use your code and level him/her/it up whatever you can do in a 30-day period.

I'm just personally uncomfortable with mandatory sub-model MMOs and I always have been. I have a lot of games to play but I feel pressured to just play that one because I have to maximize the value for money.

So wait, when this goes F2P-lite then you hit level 15 what then? Do you just pay for a monthly subscription or have to buy the game and pay for a montly sub? Because if it's the latter I don't see them getting too many takers. If it's the former then it makes sense to pass on this, then later just play to lvl 15, pay for 1 month after that at $15 and then go from there.

Generally, when a game does this kind of free play model, you still have to pay for the client and your game time after your free 15 levels are up.

So you won't just be paying $15 a month from that point, you will have to buy the client you were running as a trial.

On a different point - I don't look at a monthly fee as a bad thing. I pretty much make all my purchased based off of my expected play time (or collectability if I'm feeling like expanding my Steam library).

If I pay $15 dollars a month but play the game for 100 hours, I got a pretty good value out of it. I would pay $15 dollars for an 50 hour single player RPG that I won't play more than once, so why not pay for one that I will continue playing.

Um if they expect people to play for free then hit level 15 and then pay the regular retail price plus $15 for the first month I think they will be in for a rude awakening.

Of course there will be sales on the client in the stores, but knowing EA they probably will figure once they've got somebody hooked on the damned thing they will grab them by the ankles and shake them upside down until every last nickel falls out.

wait, so you have to buy a month no matter what? the free month included only activates when you pay for the first month?

[quote name='Motoki']Um if they expect people to play for free then hit level 15 and then pay the regular retail price plus $15 for the first month I think they will be in for a rude awakening.

Of course there will be sales on the client in the stores, but knowing EA they probably will figure once they've got somebody hooked on the damned thing they will grab them by the ankles and shake them upside down until every last nickel falls out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']So wait, when this goes F2P-lite then you hit level 15 what then? Do you just pay for a monthly subscription or have to buy the game and pay for a montly sub? Because if it's the latter I don't see them getting too many takers. If it's the former then it makes sense to pass on this, then later just play to lvl 15, pay for 1 month after that at $15 and then go from there.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='reininop']Generally, when a game does this kind of free play model, you still have to pay for the client and your game time after your free 15 levels are up.

So you won't just be paying $15 a month from that point, you will have to buy the client you were running as a trial.

On a different point - I don't look at a monthly fee as a bad thing. I pretty much make all my purchased based off of my expected play time (or collectability if I'm feeling like expanding my Steam library).

If I pay $15 dollars a month but play the game for 100 hours, I got a pretty good value out of it. I would pay $15 dollars for an 50 hour single player RPG that I won't play more than once, so why not pay for one that I will continue playing.[/QUOTE]

No. What's being discussed is the same setup as WoW's "Starter Edition" (also known as "the first hit's free"). You get the client gratis and can play all you want up to level 15. Like most freemium models there are likely to be "free player" restrictions like mail and in-game currency caps to prevent or ameliorate the proliferation of gold farmers. To advance beyond level 15 you have to buy a sub. (For WoW the only real difference is that it's level 20 instead of 15, but I don't think TOR has a level 85 [is it 85 now?] cap yet.)

[quote name='United_Korea']wait, so you have to buy a month no matter what? the free month included only activates when you pay for the first month?[/QUOTE]

You need to provide a CC at registration. You will not be charged until the 30 free days are up. You can cancel anytime before the 30 days are up.

[quote name='United_Korea']wait, so you have to buy a month no matter what? the free month included only activates when you pay for the first month?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is something I wasn't clear on from an earlier post. If that's true it would be weird--I don't think any other MMO actually requires that. Maybe the poster meant you have to put in a CC to play (which is also possible but still a bit unusual).

[quote name='fastitocalon']You need to provide a CC at registration. You will not be charged until the 30 free days are up. You can cancel anytime before the 30 days are up.[/QUOTE]

So there's no option to select "game time card" or something? That makes me wonder why Amazon and other places sell time cards.

I'm still not clear - beginning in July, will you be able to download the client for free and play to level 15, without paying anything - like WoW currently offers a "free starter edition" that costs nothing through level 20? Or will you still have to pay for the client - only the gameplay is free up to level 15?

(Edit: if warreni is right, it seems it is the former; a source link would be helpful)

Suppose one can purchase this and return it if the client itself becomes free in a month - if one doesn't know for sure they will keep playing past level 15.

[quote name='gantt']I'm still not clear - beginning in July, will you be able to download the client for free and play to level 15, without paying anything - like WoW currently offers a "free starter edition" that costs nothing through level 20? Or will you still have to pay for the client - only the gameplay is free up to level 15?

(Edit: if warreni is right, it seems it is the former; a source link would be helpful)

Suppose one can purchase this and return it if the client itself becomes free in a month - if one doesn't know for sure they will keep playing past level 15.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, its almost an exact carbon copy of WoW: Starter Edition -- once you hit X level, you have to pony up a months sub fee to "upgrade". I don't remember if WoW makes you pay a retail price for the game, too (but since the game and first expansion is 20 bucks together anyway with a first month, maybe it doesnT)

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-old-republic-upcoming-features-announced/

No mention of a client charge here or anywhere else I could find.

From what I understand, its almost an exact carbon copy of WoW: Starter Edition -- once you hit X level, you have to pony up a months sub fee to "upgrade". I don't remember if WoW makes you pay a retail price for the game, too (but since the game and first expansion is 20 bucks together anyway with a first month, maybe it doesnT)

I actually believe the Starter Edition is a separate client download and EA will probably have something similar for TOR.

[quote name='warreni']I think this actually makes less sense. It would make more sense to buy now at $20, hold onto your reg code, play after "F2P" until you hit 15 on a character, then use your code and level him/her/it up whatever you can do in a 30-day period.

I'm just personally uncomfortable with mandatory sub-model MMOs and I always have been. I have a lot of games to play but I feel pressured to just play that one because I have to maximize the value for money.[/QUOTE]

That was exactly what I meant. You are right though, my wording was a bit unclear.

[quote name='warreni']No. What's being discussed is the same setup as WoW's "Starter Edition" (also known as "the first hit's free"). You get the client gratis and can play all you want up to level 15. Like most freemium models there are likely to be "free player" restrictions like mail and in-game currency caps to prevent or ameliorate the proliferation of gold farmers. To advance beyond level 15 you have to buy a sub. (For WoW the only real difference is that it's level 20 instead of 15, but I don't think TOR has a level 85 [is it 85 now?] cap yet.)[/QUOTE]

Oh you get the client free with WoW Starter Edition? Never mind then. Don't buy this deal unless you need to play ASAP.

For WoW's starter edition. You download the game and get to play as much as you like with a cap at level 20 at no cost. As said before you're just restricted on certain things. If you want to go beyond level 20 you'll have to purchase the game for $20 and also pay a subscription at $15 a month, but you should get a free 30 day after buying the game.

If SWTOR is following WoW's starter edition then after you hit level 15 you'll have to buy the game and subscribe to continue.

You have to buy the game to remove all the restrictions on your account.

[quote name='dvgamer']For WoW's starter edition. You download the game and get to play as much as you like with a cap at level 20 at no cost. As said before you're just restricted on certain things. If you want to go beyond level 20 you'll have to purchase the game for $20 and also pay a subscription at $15 a month, but you should get a free 30 day after buying the game.

If SWTOR is following WoW's starter edition then after you hit level 15 you'll have to buy the game and subscribe to continue.

You have to buy the game to remove all the restrictions on your account.[/QUOTE]

So the real question is how much will they charge at that point? $20 for the client w/ a free month is not bad but if they try to charge their current prices, $40 "promo price" (not sure how long) with $60 being the regular price to buy direct from EA right now, then good luck with that.

At one point EA was even charging an extra $5 digital fee to buy the digital download from them directly :roll: though they seem to not be doing that now.

so to get this straight....

in july this will be free up until level 15. after that i have to pay 15 a month?

so to buy it now i would have to pay 20 + 15 but in july i get it all for 15???

[quote name='kayne2000']so to get this straight....

in july this will be free up until level 15. after that i have to pay 15 a month?

so to buy it now i would have to pay 20 + 15 but in july i get it all for 15???[/QUOTE]

Highly doubtful that will be the case. Once you hit level 15, you will have to purchase the full game AS WELL AS game time (from then, on).

Glad I held off a few days, thanks OP.

Attributed to Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion, developer/publisher of Rift:

Do you guys agree with his assessment of the issues with SWTOR?
For those that have played both, has Rift really had more significant content updates?
Of course, SWTOR hasn't been out 6 months yet, while Rift has been out 15 months.

"'In the case of Star Wars, I don't think the business model was necessarily the issue, but I think it was content updates, and what to do in the game, and how you can play it without it becoming repetitive.'

He points to the fact that Trion's Rift gets frequent significant content updates, whereas The Old Republic's consumers are left wanting. "

[quote name='gantt']Attributed to Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion, developer/publisher of Rift:

Do you guys agree with his assessment of the issues with SWTOR?
For those that have played both, has Rift really had more significant content updates?
Of course, SWTOR hasn't been out 6 months yet, while Rift has been out 15 months.

"'In the case of Star Wars, I don't think the business model was necessarily the issue, but I think it was content updates, and what to do in the game, and how you can play it without it becoming repetitive.'

He points to the fact that Trion's Rift gets frequent significant content updates, whereas The Old Republic's consumers are left wanting. "[/QUOTE]

I've played both extensively and the Rift guy is correct. They update their game so often it's almost ridiculous. New massive events every month or two. New areas and dungeons every month or two. Constant rebalances and small upgrades every couple of weeks. Bug fixes weekly.

Star wars adds a warfront and a flashpoint and fixed a few things and tried to call it the biggest free update in mmo history. Rift added an entire island with multiple dungeons, quests, bosses, and other things. I don't even want to go into what Eve updates for free.

you could also save money by waiting for the free to play til lvl 15 goes up and then you realize what a generic game this is and then not buying it because its bad.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I just feel like no game is worth a monthly fee- but the premium model is pretty annoying too...[/QUOTE]

Id never pay a monthly fee to play a game. If this ever went ftp id consider it, otherwise unfortunately i have to pass at any price.

bread's done
Back