RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crotch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
HAHAHA fuck trees. This thread is now about Obsidian's next RPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4w9GdFPrg

"It’s not as if people stopped wanting games like Icewind Dale or Baldur’s Gate, it was more that BioWare moved on as a studio and Black Isle went away. I hear from people all the time that they run out of the newer games to play and go back and play Baldur’s Gate 2 or Torment for the fifth or sixth time."

"Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game."

"[A] huge focus on support abilities and not just combat ones."

"The system itself (real-time with pause) works great for robust RPG systems that have a lot of moving parts and encourage the player to not just throw their characters at the enemy, but to think tactically. I always love the big battles in Baldur’s Gate 2 – the felt like puzzles that I had to crack in order to win with a minimum of casualties on my side."

"When we looked at whether to go the Icewind Dale route or the Torment / Baldur’s Gate route, we felt the latter tied much better into the focus we are going to put into the story and character development. We want the central character to be one that players will hopefully not just play through Project Eternity with, but into sequels as well. Like Torment and Baldur’s Gate, players will find companions to join their party – crafted by the incredible talents of Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer."

Give money, you bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the vid in the OP, I imagine a vast battle between unwashed hippie stink and the acrid, woodsy tang of pine and spruce.

A battle with no survivors.

RIP THE CROTCH. He lived with a heart full of wonder and died with a nose full of patchouli.

[quote name='Indignate']Stop trying to make this thread about your great deeds![/QUOTE]
I read that as "great deals". I've been on CAG too long, methinks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the title have to do with RPGs?

Speaking of which, near the end of Izuna 2. Short game, but good. There's too many party member options, though.

Also, I haven't touched Persona 3 in at least a week. Currently in the fall semester in that game.

Thread title has nothing to do with RPGs. I hope. That would be a terrible fucking RPG.

I made the title what it is because...[quote name='Indignate']Stop trying to make this thread about your great deeds![/QUOTE]
... it's just god damn weird to me that the one fucking time I actually have internet access, the old thread is locked and nobody is making a new one.

Alright check it,

Normal, Nightmare, and Hell are all cakewalks that take 8 hours each to run through. Literally no challenge, and all the loot is complete shit. All of it, and I can say that is a fact. The game does not start until level 60, a total of 25-30 of hours before you hit the brick wall that is Inferno difficulty. Enemies immediately start one shotting you, and loot immediately becomes interesting (my kind of game). But everything before that is a grind, picking up shitty rares to inch up your DPS and going through a terrible campaign 3 times just to be able to start playing.

So there's no loot to pull you forward on your way to 60, the community has official dubbed blacksmithing as worthless and a waste of moeny so there's nothing to do back at towns, and the skill system is what really tops it all off. The idea of the game is to pick a layout of 6 offensive/defensive skills, but as I said, the difficulty doesn't demand this until Inferno. So you're literally just unlocking skills for 30 hours and not having to use 90% of them to make it through Normal/Nightmare/Hell.

Given the shit loot and linear skill system, this means that your Barbarian is identical to my Barbarian until we start getting gear in Inferno. This means that if I play with you and you're a Witch Doctor, then I have no reason to start my own Wtich Doctor because I've seen everything your class is capable of. There will be no point to my next game, since there is no way to make a character different than someone else's until you've put 100 hours into the game and have the Inferno gear that gives you the options.

And I could talk about the hideous writing and childish atmosphere, or how hardly any enemies have their own rendered death animations and instead use ragdoll physics. I can't even name you the primary villains of this game and I've gone through the campaign 6 times.

And Blizzard's servers have made this game a bitch to play for the past few weeks and the problems are still occurring.

Nicest thing I can say about the game is that it is mildly nostalgic.

---

Sorry for the poorly written post, I'd like to start working on a review soon instead. I should mail it to you!

Well, I could have told you that the plot/dialogue was going to be a giant pile of horse cocks.

But you were probably expecting that, anyway.

I was very much expecting that, but I don't think anyone was expecting it to the degree Blizzard took it, or how damaging it would be to the experience. Diablo's dialogue during the boss encounter is already some kind of meme, I think.

I am still playing, because Inferno is hilarious in a broken and unbalanced sort of way. But yeah, it's flatly bad.

Really?

I mean, Wings of Liberty was pretty much perfectly wrong. Plot, pacing, dialogue, everything. If it's actually worse in Diablo 3, that... that would almost have to be intentional.

And, yeah, everything else sounds bad. One of our drivers in camp said he was hugely disappointed in the game, but he didn't elaborate.

To be honest, at times I was pondering if the game was an intentional parody of some sort. The one time where the world feels natural and consistent with itself is the hidden rainbow unicorn level.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Alright check it,

Normal, Nightmare, and Hell are all cakewalks that take 8 hours each to run through. Literally no challenge, and all the loot is complete shit. All of it, and I can say that is a fact. The game does not start until level 60, a total of 25-30 of hours before you hit the brick wall that is Inferno difficulty. Enemies immediately start one shotting you, and loot immediately becomes interesting (my kind of game). But everything before that is a grind, picking up shitty rares to inch up your DPS and going through a terrible campaign 3 times just to be able to start playing.

So there's no loot to pull you forward on your way to 60, the community has official dubbed blacksmithing as worthless and a waste of moeny so there's nothing to do back at towns, and the skill system is what really tops it all off. The idea of the game is to pick a layout of 6 offensive/defensive skills, but as I said, the difficulty doesn't demand this until Inferno. So you're literally just unlocking skills for 30 hours and not having to use 90% of them to make it through Normal/Nightmare/Hell.

Given the shit loot and linear skill system, this means that your Barbarian is identical to my Barbarian until we start getting gear in Inferno. This means that if I play with you and you're a Witch Doctor, then I have no reason to start my own Wtich Doctor because I've seen everything your class is capable of. There will be no point to my next game, since there is no way to make a character different than someone else's until you've put 100 hours into the game and have the Inferno gear that gives you the options.

And I could talk about the hideous writing and childish atmosphere, or how hardly any enemies have their own rendered death animations and instead use ragdoll physics. I can't even name you the primary villains of this game and I've gone through the campaign 6 times.

And Blizzard's servers have made this game a bitch to play for the past few weeks and the problems are still occurring.

Nicest thing I can say about the game is that it is mildly nostalgic.

---

Sorry for the poorly written post, I'd like to start working on a review soon instead. I should mail it to you![/QUOTE]
So basically the game is set up to make it attractive to spend real money in the auction house and having a game with a single player component that has to be connected to the internet at all times is a bad idea? Yeah, I remember why I didn't buy this.

At what I think is the last dungeon in Izuna 2. Going to try and beat it today, but the difficulty's been stepped up a bit, so I might continue to grind and upgrade my gear as best I can first.

[quote name='The Crotch']I mean, Wings of Liberty was pretty much perfectly wrong. Plot, pacing, dialogue, everything. If it's actually worse in Diablo 3, that... that would almost have to be intentional.[/QUOTE]
The WoL campaign was pretty bad in terms of writing. The one thing it had going for it was the variety of the missions, but even those were on the easy side. Blizzard definitely isn't what they used to be. I blame Chris Metzen; he should stick to the jukebox cover songs :p

So, how about that Torchlight II?

[quote name='blueshinra']The WoL campaign was pretty bad in terms of writing. The one thing it had going for it was the variety of the missions, but even those were on the easy side. Blizzard definitely isn't what they used to be. I blame Chris Metzen; he should stick to the jukebox cover songs :p[/QUOTE]
Yeah, to be clear, I was talking about the campaign. Multiplayer wasn't perfect of course, but it was functional and fun. The campaign had variety as you noted (as opposed to the "turtle in one base until 200/200 carriers" in SC1), but everything else went to hell.

I guess some of the voice acting was good.

Some of it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']So basically the game is set up to make it attractive to spend real money in the auction house and having a game with a single player component that has to be connected to the internet at all times is a bad idea? Yeah, I remember why I didn't buy this.[/QUOTE]

Auction house and online community are the only reasons the game is working.

But yes, you dodged the bullet.

Title makes me think of Chibi Robo Park Patrol... (which saddens me, cuz it is crap and Chibi Robo was a damn fine game).

Also glad to see I'm not the only one that disliked D3. A buddy of mine is in denial, claiming it's as good as D2...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Chibi Robo was a damn fine game[/QUOTE]
Right on. I really got lucky bumping into that so late in the GC's lifespan. It was hard to find.

[quote name='The Crotch']I guess some of the voice acting was good.

Some of it.[/QUOTE]
The less said about Kerrigan the better.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Like how awful Diablo 3 ended up.[/QUOTE]
didn't you say you liked it at first?

i feel like all the D3 hype just died last week. after the server problems, i've hardly heard anything about it.

[quote name='Indignate']Panzer put like 70 hours into Diablo 3.

It's weird.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kainzero']didn't you say you liked it at first?

i feel like all the D3 hype just died last week. after the server problems, i've hardly heard anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, launch night with buddies I played D2 with a decade ago was a good time. It was fun but it was because of an idea and not so much because of the actual software. I was in the denial stage for a while and I'll admit that. I mean, you don't pass up a game like Diablo 3 without going through some complicated emotions, and I think I'm finally past those.

Which is why I hate the D3 hate campaign that's been going on, because while people are rightfully calling the game bad -- they have no idea what they're talking about.

Shit like, "DRM ruined Diablo 3." Yeah, not because the entire game is awful, it was the DRM. Hipsters.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Shit like, "DRM ruined Diablo 3." Yeah, not because the entire game is awful, it was the DRM. Hipsters.[/QUOTE]

Well, the always on connection was the last straw for me, but I wasn't getting it because:

1. I rarely buy new games a full price.
  2. After playing 8 hours of Torchlight, I found that I couldn't get excited for Diablo anymore. Basically, I got bored of it.
Then there was the always on connection, and then everyone saying you have to play through the game twice for it to start to get good, I was like, fuck that.

In the meantime, I have started playing The Witcher. Haven't gotten far, and the game crashed when I went to the first town. Looks interesting. Gotta love a game where one of the first things you do is bed a hot redhead. I mean, how can you say no?

[quote name='blueshinra']The less said about Kerrigan the better.[/QUOTE]
The carrier is probably the only thing that actually improved.

Some of the "In Utter Darkness" or whatever the fuck it was called stuff in the final protoss mission was really good, but that was generic last stand stuff that's god damn impossible to fuck up.

But this is not an RPG. Forgiveness, please.

[quote name='The Crotch']But this is not an RPG. Forgiveness, please.[/QUOTE]
I'm partly at fault as well. Sorry for the derail, all!

Beat Izuna 2 today. Like the first game, there's no credit roll after completing the main story. No "The End" or anything either, though there is a lengthy cutscene in this one that wraps things up before immediately plunking you into postgame territory.

I really don't understand why these two games were set up that way.

Anyway, now it'll be back to Persona 3 for me.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Finally started playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. Is any of the DLC worth it and if so when should I play it?[/QUOTE]

I miss you. =(

Been busy and working. Anyway I finally have some free time to start hacking away at my collection and finally replaced my stolen 360. Thinking about playing Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon. Anybody have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other xbox rpg's I should take a look at first?

Lost Odyssey: Absolutely loved it. Not the most original game ever, but it had an enjoyable battle system, passable story, and fantastic "dream sequences" that tell some of the most well written, touching stories I have ever read anywhere. ever.

Blue Dragon: Played through ~12 hours and put it aside. Just found it super boring.

Tales of Vesperia: I'm sure this will get the most votes here, but imho it's way overrated. It's good don't get me wrong, but I just felt like it dragged in a lot of places. I enjoyed Symphonia and Abyss much more (though it's better than Legendia).

Just finished Deus Ex: HR and it was a really good stealth game, aside from the parts where I was seen by ghosts / through walls. That's an RPG, right?

[quote name='cindersphere']Been busy and working. Anyway I finally have some free time to start hacking away at my collection and finally replaced my stolen 360. Thinking about playing Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon. Anybody have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other xbox rpg's I should take a look at first?[/QUOTE]

I played Lost Odyssey and had a good time, though it gets worse as it goes on.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I played Lost Odyssey and had a good time, though it gets worse as it goes on.[/QUOTE]

I thought it get better as it went along.The game starts really slow on that first disc.It was about 75% watching cutscenes and reading memories for that disc.The second disc is when they balance it out and the pace picks up.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
Shit like, "DRM ruined Diablo 3." Yeah, not because the entire game is awful, it was the DRM. Hipsters.[/QUOTE]

In the end, the DRM did ruin Diablo 3 for me, not the game being bad. I only got through one playthrough, but I gave up on the game during nightmare because I kept getting kicked out of the game almost every time I played because of how unstable my internet has been lately.

[quote name='themaster20000']I thought it get better as it went along.The game starts really slow on that first disc.It was about 75% watching cutscenes and reading memories for that disc.The second disc is when they balance it out and the pace picks up.[/QUOTE]

I felt that way too. The first disc was my least favorite, and I thought it really picked up as it went on. I liked fourth disc a lot because of all the optional bosses, even if the final boss was completely unthreatening. My favorite parts of the game were the Thousand Years of Dreams, but they were spread out among the first three discs.

[quote name='distgfx']I miss you. =([/QUOTE]
Awww, I miss you too. As well as most of the people in the GGT. Unfortunately as long as certain people are there I'm not going back.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was pretty cool from what I played. Though it seems everyone needs to have some sort of gimmicky rpg element nowadays.

[quote name='j-cart']Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was pretty cool from what I played. Though it seems everyone needs to have some sort of gimmicky rpg element nowadays.[/QUOTE]

The main reason why I own a PS3 is to eventually play that game. The wife, who doesn't do much gaming, is interested in playing it.

I'm 40 hours into Tales of the Abyss, I'm thinking I'm probably getting near the end now. Overall the cast of characters has grown on me, Luke and Tear are a little mixed for me since they both have annoying moments; Anise, Guy, and Jade are all amazing and have consistently made me laugh, and Natalia is alright but kind of one dimensional. I've actually played almost the game entirely while using public transit to commute to work (a little bit was played while at the laundromat). I basically play around 30 minutes to an hour each day depending on if I play going both ways, it hasn't been too bad, although I play differently than I normally do when gaming at home since I have to make sure that I can get to a save point fairly quickly if I'm near where I have to get off (I kind of wish there was a quick save option, hopefully there isn't one that I don't know about, haha).

Oh ya, I wouldn't suggest turning on the 3D for Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, the effect is noticeable, but it is also one of the most nauseating things I've ever tried to look at while playing an RPG game, haha. It's seemed especially bad when I was just running around a town.

Only 40 hours, huh? Maybe that should go toward the top of the list once I actually finish RPGs. I don't really have the time to do 100+ hour gutbusters.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Only 40 hours, huh? Maybe that should go toward the top of the list once I actually finish RPGs. I don't really have the time to do 100+ hour gutbusters.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the game is probably 50-55 hours total, I could be wrong, but they already pulled the classic RPG false climax, "once we do this, it's all over... oh wait no it isn't." So I'm guessing they aren't going to pull it again, so I'm fairly sure everything is proceeding to the real final climax at this point. It feels like it's going to be about the same length as Symphonia was (which also had the false climax).

I don't think I've played a 100+ hour rpg... well ever actually. I want to say the longest ones I can remember playing were Dragon Quest VIII which took me about 80 hours and SMT: Nocturne which took me around 70 hours to get the true demon ending. I don't really play SRPGs (or at least never to completion save Valkyria Chronicles) so maybe I manage to avoid a lot of the truly epicly long RPG games.

[quote name='icebeast']I'm guessing the game is probably 50-55 hours total, I could be wrong, but they already pulled the classic RPG false climax, "once we do this, it's all over... oh wait no it isn't."[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a pretty accurate estimate as I recall. To be honest, the game is much much better after the "false climax". I went from despising Luke to actually liking the guy. Jade totally made that game though.

[quote name='TheLongshot']In the meantime, I have started playing The Witcher. Haven't gotten far, and the game crashed when I went to the first town. Looks interesting. Gotta love a game where one of the first things you do is bed a hot redhead. I mean, how can you say no?[/QUOTE]

Just finished that game and it was a lot of fun. The game is a little glitchy at times, but push through because it is worth it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I played Lost Odyssey and had a good time, though it gets worse as it goes on.[/QUOTE]

I never finished it.

[quote name='themaster20000']I thought it get better as it went along.The game starts really slow on that first disc.It was about 75% watching cutscenes and reading memories for that disc.The second disc is when they balance it out and the pace picks up.[/QUOTE]

Best part.

[quote name='The Crotch']So the studio that made Kingdoms of Amalur has declared bankruptcy.

I got nothin'.[/QUOTE]

Old news! Get out of the woods and back to civilization dammit!

[quote name='Indignate']Old news! Get out of the woods and back to civilization dammit![/QUOTE]
Calgary is close enough to civilization.

Though I'm back to the woods again some time tomorrow. Short contract, though, so I should have a brief re-connection with the internet some time later this month.

[quote name='j-cart']Playing that Persona fighting game got me hyped back into it again.[/QUOTE]

Go On...

[quote name='The Crotch']Calgary is close enough to civilization.

Though I'm back to the woods again some time tomorrow. Short contract, though, so I should have a brief re-connection with the internet some time later this month.[/QUOTE]

There is still a lot of days left in this month. Later is a long time.

Anybody else playing (or has played) Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm nearly 50 hours in, enjoying quite a bit, but anybody have reccomendations on what are the best arts for the characters? I'm always torn on what to keep and what to get rid of. My usual party is Shulk/Dunban/Sharla, but I experiment a bit with different parties as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back