Disney Movie Club Question

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Is the Disney Movie Club worth it? They're offering 5 movies for $5, but you then have to buy 5 more movies over the next 24 months. What concerns me is that the blu-rays start at $29.95. However, they also mention there are monthly featured titles.

Does anyone know if the monthly featured titles are discounted and by how much?

Don't do that offer, there's one that's much better.

1.) Use the promotion code: 17674B
2.) Choose 7 titles, one of which counts towards your commitment. Total is $21.90 for all 7
3.) You then only have to buy 2 more titles over the next 2 years at around $29.95 + shipping each (sometimes it's $24.95 + shipping, sometimes shipping is free)

This works out to about $90 for 9 titles, which is an amazing value for Disney movies. I'm currently doing this for the second time and I will continue doing it in the future to get many of my Disney/Pixar/Ghibli movies. I personally can't always find movies I want from the enrollment selection so I buy stuff that I can resell easily like the Toy Story trilogy, or Incredibles and put them up on ebay. This makes the total net cost of what I actually keep much better. The first time I did it, I ended up getting paid to keep the 3 titles I kept, and this 2nd time, I'm paying $1.44 out of pocket for the 4 movies I'm keeping. Not everyone wants to resell, but it woks out very nicely for me personally. BTW The monthly featured titles are usually the same $29.95 price, but sometimes can be $24.95. Sometimes they have DMC exclusive offers, and sometimes we get things early too. Pocahontas for instance is being released on July 3rd for DMC members, and August 21st for everyone else.

I don't need to buy the second "bonus" movie since it doesn't count towards the 3 movie total, right? Might still do it for the sake of reselling, but I don't really want anything else that's listed.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Thanks for the information. Do they typically come with slipcovers?[/QUOTE]

Yeah for the most part they do, only some titles like The Incredibles and Ponyo haven't from my personal experience. One other thing to factor in, their shipping can be very slow. Sometimes it can take like 2 or more weeks to get something, and they don't provide tracking. My first commitment order took around 18 days, but this second time it took about 8 days. They also don't ship in boxes, but rather a big corrugated cardboard envelope thing so sometimes a slip may not come in perfect condition, but if you contact them they will likely send you another.

I just got a smashed DMC movie in the mail. I mean crushed! I can't find any contact info. Anyone know?

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I don't need to buy the second "bonus" movie since it doesn't count towards the 3 movie total, right? Might still do it for the sake of reselling, but I don't really want anything else that's listed.[/QUOTE]

It still brings down the average cost.
And you'll have MUCH MUCH MUCH better selection if you CALL THEM UP instead of doing it online.

[quote name='M3wThr33']It still brings down the average cost.
And you'll have MUCH MUCH MUCH better selection if you CALL THEM UP instead of doing it online.[/QUOTE]

What are you referring to when you say 'average cost'? As far as I can tell, the second bonus movie is just an extra movie you can buy for a decent discount, but has no effect on anything else (including the whole 'you have to buy 3 movies later' thing, unlike the first bonus movie).

I also squirm at the thought of trying to place an order over the phone, especially if there's a huge list of movies.

Yeah you don't neccesarily have to buy the 7th movie, but if you do happen to see anything you want it works out to under $10 for that title. I always do it, since $8.95 for an extra Disney title is a bargain, and I can always resell it for much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
And assuming you are interested in another movie, it does bring the overall cost down:

7 enrollment titles ($21.90) + 2 commitment titles at full price ($33.90 x 2) = $89.70 or $9.96/movie
6 enrollment titles ($12.95) + 2 commitment titles at full price ($33.90 x 2) = $80.75 or $10.09/movie

Just signed up for this. Was going to get Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc as my two commitment movies but I guess they're vaulted? Couldn't find them on either the introductory list or anywhere on the movie club website. Oh well, I guess I have two years to wait for them to come out.

So can I use this offer to redeem for the new Ghibli blus? I only see the DVDs listed on the site. Also, does the 7 movies offer work for preorders (i.e. Finding Nemo)?

[quote name='TidalDreams']So can I use this offer to redeem for the new Ghibli blus? I only see the DVDs listed on the site. Also, does the 7 movies offer work for preorders (i.e. Finding Nemo)?[/QUOTE]

The new ghibli titles aren't available as part of the initial 7 (or 6) enrollment titles, but they are available to buy for your 2 remaining commitment titles. Finding Nemo won't be an enrollment title but it should become a commitment title later.

There is a chance the new Ghiblis will eventually be part of the enrollment selection as Ponyo and Nausicaa are both on there but it will likely be a long time before that happens.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The new ghibli titles aren't available as part of the initial 7 (or 6) enrollment titles, but they are available to buy for your 2 remaining commitment titles. Finding Nemo won't be an enrollment title but it should become a commitment title later.

There is a chance the new Ghiblis will eventually be part of the enrollment selection as Ponyo and Nausicaa are both on there but it will likely be a long time before that happens.[/QUOTE]

Crap, well there goes my plan. I was looking at this as an alternative since the $10 Disney coupons are basically non-existant now :(.

[quote name='TidalDreams']Crap, well there goes my plan. I was looking at this as an alternative since the $10 Disney coupons are basically non-existant now :(.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has been doing $8 clip and save coupons on most everything. I think one of my preorders is down to $15 for a Blu.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Just signed up for this. Was going to get Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc as my two commitment movies but I guess they're vaulted? Couldn't find them on either the introductory list or anywhere on the movie club website. Oh well, I guess I have two years to wait for them to come out.[/QUOTE]

Finding Nemo hasn't released yet.

I just got my 3rd commitment title and have cancelled my subscription....hopefully. I never actually selected a second or third title but they sent me some movies in the mail and charged them to my card. And I'd always say no to Featured Titles...which can be a pain in the ass...hate all the emails I got. Kind of shady, but I didn't mind the titles they sent me:

Dumbo (2nd commitment title)
Winie the Pooh
DisneyNature African Cats (3rd commitment title)
DisneyNature Earth

They send Dumbo and Pooh together and the Disneynature movies together and was only charged $34.95 for both sets of 2. Already owned Dumbo but was able to sell it for $25.

only did the initial 6 for the signup so got 9 Disney blus for like $63.
glad I got em cheap but glad im hopefully done. Haven't gotten an email in like a month so I think im good.

[quote name='ssjmichael']And assuming you are interested in another movie, it does bring the overall cost down:

7 enrollment titles ($21.90) + 2 commitment titles at full price ($33.90 x 2) = $89.70 or $9.96/movie
6 enrollment titles ($12.95) + 2 commitment titles at full price ($33.90 x 2) = $80.75 or $10.09/movie[/QUOTE]

Do you have the website link? I'm assuming it's joindmc.com. When I enter the promo code it would cost $16.95 for 6 movies. Am I doing something wrong?

[quote name='coopscohen']Do you have the website link? I'm assuming it's joindmc.com. When I enter the promo code it would cost $16.95 for 6 movies. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

I go through https://disneymovieclub.go.com but joindmc.com works too. Are you applying the promo code 17674B? It should show up with an offer for 5 movies for $1, plus an additional movie that counts towards your commitment for $11.95, for a grand total of $12.95

[quote name='ssjmichael']I go through https://disneymovieclub.go.com but joindmc.com works too. Are you applying the promo code 17674B? It should show up with an offer for 5 movies for $1, plus an additional movie that counts towards your commitment for $11.95, for a grand total of $12.95[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I thought it was $1.00 for EACH of the first five. Appreciate the clarification. Now the deal makes sense.

[quote name='tholly']Amazon has been doing $8 clip and save coupons on most everything. I think one of my preorders is down to $15 for a Blu.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remembered that later today. I got in on Finding Nemo with the $8 clip which ended up being $26 for the 3D Bluray combo. Saw the regular price dropped down from $34 to $33 and some change today so yay I saved $0.xx on the preorder price guarantee lol...so far, anyway. I expect it to drop to less than $20 after coupon and price guarantee. Same with 3D Avengers Bluray combo pack I clipped the $5 for.

So, in summary, I forgot I already preordered Finding Nemo...guess I'll have to pick another movie for my final commitment title.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']
They send Dumbo and Pooh together and the Disneynature movies together and was only charged $34.95 for both sets of 2. Already owned Dumbo but was able to sell it for $25.

only did the initial 6 for the signup so got 9 Disney blus for like $63.
glad I got em cheap but glad im hopefully done. Haven't gotten an email in like a month so I think im good.[/QUOTE]

Try signing into your account. If you can't, then you are definitely done. But considering the number of emails they send out in a week(and you having not received any in a month), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'm on my 4th go 'round with DMC(first was years ago). Disney is known for occasionally sending out titles despite being "declined". They got me on my first time with them twice. First time I returned the title and they refunded the amount minus shipping(they tried to say I did not decline my monthly selection). Second time I just kept the title and canceled.

Swore I would never go back but only did so after reading about the url trick. Got 7 titles I wanted then picked up the POTC 3 movie set that was a BBY exclusive to fulfill that account(counted as 2 selections).

Signed up for a fourth time recently and got in just before they fixed the url trick. Already pre-ordered Cinderella @ 24.95 and added Father of the Bride I/II @ 13.xx(BOGO 50% off) with free shipping. Will probably wait for another deal like that to fulfill my account.

Can you use the same address to sign up again? Maybe I'll sign up again if I can do the 6 for $12.95 again. :)

Will have to see what they offer.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Can you use the same address to sign up again? Maybe I'll sign up again if I can do the 6 for $12.95 again. :)

Will have to see what they offer.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's one account per address. Once you close your account you are free to turn right around and sign up again. Thats what I did when the url trick was working.

Called in to cancel my account, waited a couple of days to make sure it was closed out(checked by trying to signing into my account). Once you can no longer sign into your previous account you are free to sign back up.

[quote name='darkdaze73']Yes. It's one account per address. Once you close your account you are free to turn right around and sign up again. Thats what I did when the url trick was working.

Called in to cancel my account, waited a couple of days to make sure it was closed out(checked by trying to signing into my account). Once you can no longer sign into your previous account you are free to sign back up.[/QUOTE]

awesome. Anyone know if that bonus Disney movie rewards for signing up stacks with the 6 for 12.95 promo? I never got any bonus dmr for signing up last time but I was unaware of it until after I signed up.

I wish the gift card you can redeem for points was valid for these movie club purchases. I was pumped until I read the fine print. Only redeemable at Disney Land? The last thing I'll be concerned about, with how much the trip/stay would cost, is my $10 gift card I redeemed for 1,000 points lol. It MIGHT get me a small fountain drink.

I realize you can use the card at a few other select locations other than the theme parks but I wanted to make the point that it should be valid for movie club purchases too.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']awesome. Anyone know if that bonus Disney movie rewards for signing up stacks with the 6 for 12.95 promo? I never got any bonus dmr for signing up last time but I was unaware of it until after I signed up.[/QUOTE]

You talking about the bonus points(500 points last I saw)? If so, then no it will not stack.

I just noticed that the initial list the site gives you is incomplete and that if you select "Browse A-Z" on the side bar, there's more there. Not sure if anyone else didn't realize it (like myself), but there it is.

EDIT: Oh, and "Grown Up Hits" has even more (many of which I didn't even realize were Disney-related, if they even are). Heck, just check all of the categories and you'll probably find something different.

ANOTHER EDIT: I'd also like to say that there's far too many titles that I want. At least I'm a few movies closer to having all of Miyazaki's films.

I saw the A-Z and grown up options. You're right, more titles are listed that way. However, in my selections I still stuck with all animated movies. I feel like the animated ones are the titles that never drop on price and/or get vaulted. For example, you could probably find a deal for The Proposal for around $10 if you looked hard enough, whereas A Bug's Life is still $20+ everywhere.

Kinda defeats the deal if you get anything but the animated movies, IMO.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']I saw the A-Z and grown up options. You're right, more titles are listed that way. However, in my selections I still stuck with all animated movies. I feel like the animated ones are the titles that never drop on price and/or get vaulted. For example, you could probably find a deal for The Proposal for around $10 if you looked hard enough, whereas A Bug's Life is still $20+ everywhere.

Kinda defeats the deal if you get anything but the animated movies, IMO.[/QUOTE]

yep, totally agree. They do have some live action titles in the full catalog like Captain America and Thor that are pretty good deals at ~$10, but it's definitely better for animated titles.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']I saw the A-Z and grown up options. You're right, more titles are listed that way. However, in my selections I still stuck with all animated movies. I feel like the animated ones are the titles that never drop on price and/or get vaulted. For example, you could probably find a deal for The Proposal for around $10 if you looked hard enough, whereas A Bug's Life is still $20+ everywhere.

Kinda defeats the deal if you get anything but the animated movies, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I went with the animated titles, too, but just because you get more expensive titles for the same price doesn't mean that you're still not getting a decent deal for the other ones. Some buyers might not want the animated ones, too.

[quote name='darkdaze73']You talking about the bonus points(500 points last I saw)? If so, then no it will not stack.[/QUOTE]

yep that's what I was asking about. Alright np.

Also agree on the Animated films thing.

[quote name='tholly']Amazon has been doing $8 clip and save coupons on most everything. I think one of my preorders is down to $15 for a Blu.[/QUOTE]

I would have done this for the Ghibli movies, but I'm in Canada, and the price here before the coupon I believe was $30, unlike the $22-23 BC offered on Amazon.com.

[quote name='ssjmichael']yep, totally agree. They do have some live action titles in the full catalog like Captain America and Thor that are pretty good deals at ~$10, but it's definitely better for animated titles.[/QUOTE]

100% agree

Just like the $8.xx Pirates movies on Amazon

yeah I hear if you can still login and see your account info it's not cancelled, so I guess you have to call in again or something. Make sure you don't have any featured titles coming your way too

So - my first order just shipped. I went ahead and bought all seven titles they offered and yet it still says I need to buy 3 more titles. I thought one of them counted for it (that's what I was led to believe after reading the stuff here/reading the FAQ over on their site).

Does it take a while for it to show up on my commitment page, or do I need to grab someone and sort it out with them? Heck, where do I even go to contact someone? Can't find anything related to it (edit: never mind - found it buried under a ton of legalese).

^ Yeah, it takes a while for it to show up on the commitment page. I ended up emailing them about my first one as well, but it took about a week or so after shipment each time.

[quote name='dv8mad']^ Yeah, it takes a while for it to show up on the commitment page. I ended up emailing them about my first one as well, but it took about a week or so after shipment each time.[/QUOTE]

And I had just finished sending them a well thought-out and courteous message asking about it. Poor guys probably get ten every day.

Thanks a ton for sorting it out for me so quickly!

Hmm, that promotional code may actually make this worth doing. After I order the first 7 movies, can I immediately order the 2 additional required movies and then cancel my account to avoid all the mailings and Featured Title declining?

[quote name='Jack']Hmm, that promotional code may actually make this worth doing. After I order the first 7 movies, can I immediately order the 2 additional required movies and then cancel my account to avoid all the mailings and Featured Title declining?[/QUOTE]

Once you order all your fulfillment titles you can cancel.

Got my 7 movies in the mail yesterday. The Incredibles came with the 2-Disc Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy version...but there's no digital redemption code inside? Is this the norm or a packaging error? I'm about to send them an email. Also, none of the movies have the reward point codes either. I know I got them at a reduced price, but only because I also committed to buying other titles at full price (not to mention the 6th and 7th movies were $8.95 and $11.95, respectively). I feel like I should be receiving the full version of the films, plus the reward points for purchasing them. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Got my 7 movies in the mail yesterday. The Incredibles came with the 2-Disc Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy version...but there's no digital redemption code inside? Is this the norm or a packaging error? I'm about to send them an email. Also, none of the movies have the reward point codes either. I know I got them at a reduced price, but only because I also committed to buying other titles at full price (not to mention the 6th and 7th movies were $8.95 and $11.95, respectively). I feel like I should be receiving the full version of the films, plus the reward points for purchasing them. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

Did it have a magic code? The magic code is the digital copy code too. All of my movies, except for Tron Classic had the codes. Strange that none of the ones you got had them. Were most live action, or were they also animated?

You can get your points for all of these though, but it may take a little work. Login to your DMR account (not DMC). Right next to where you enter codes in the textbox, there's an icon that says something like "Missing Code?". You can then go through the process of getting your points. You'll be given a unique number which you then write on your invoice and then snap a pic of it with the back of the movie (showing the UPC). That's what I had to do with my copy of Tron and they credited my account in about 2 days.

edit: Here's the direct link to the missing code form: http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/member/missing-codes

They had neither the magic codes nor the digital redemption codes (although The Incredibles was the only title to advertise a digital copy included). I found the missing code button. I appreciate your help. All the movies I ordered were animated, and all have the "Magic Code Inside" logo in the bottom corner of the box art.

I ordered:
A Bug's Life
The Incredibles
Nightmare Before Christmas
Toy Story
Bolt
A Christmas Carol
Wall-E

yeah those should all come with magic codes then, very strange that they didn't. I honestly haven't heard about people experiencing this and I've been following a thread over at blu-ray.com for a while now. Hopefully this isn't a new trend :(

[quote name='AirMcLaren']They had neither the magic codes nor the digital redemption codes (although The Incredibles was the only title to advertise a digital copy included). I found the missing code button. I appreciate your help. All the movies I ordered were animated, and all have the "Magic Code Inside" logo in the bottom corner of the box art.

I ordered:
A Bug's Life
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Bolt
A Christmas Carol
Wall-E[/QUOTE]

Did those come with slipcovers? I'm about to order an eerily similar list.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']They had neither the magic codes nor the digital redemption codes (although The Incredibles was the only title to advertise a digital copy included). I found the missing code button. I appreciate your help. All the movies I ordered were animated, and all have the "Magic Code Inside" logo in the bottom corner of the box art.

I ordered:
A Bug's Life
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Bolt
A Christmas Carol
Wall-E[/QUOTE] isn't the magic code the digital redemption code as well. I could be wrong but thought that was how Disney did it

Edit: sorry ssj, guess I should have read just one post up huh

bread's done
Back