I just bought a Wii. What games do,you recommend?

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Found an used one on ebay, and won the auction for 53 bux. What games should I get for it? Sorry, I just saw the main thread. Close this one and merge it please.

Are you fucking serious? There is a new one coming out and will play all the original's games. Then again, that thing is rumored to be 350 which is too high and 50 is pretty low.

Mario galaxy games, Zelda skyward sword, Kirby. Maybe cursed mountain. That game was okay and the collectors edition was really cheap. That's really all I can recommend.

All the main Nintendo franchises are pretty much winners. If you got a BC Wii, pick up some older Gamecube games if you haven't.

^for $53, it's so worth it. It's less than most games now and even so, if it's a BC Wii, it's still able to play Gamecube games where as the Wii U afaik can not.

Yeah, once I got to thinking about the WIi U being backwards compatible I kind of regretted it. But it is backwards compatible with the GameCube, so hopefully it's worth it. I've owned a wii in the past. Picked up Mario Galaxy for $10.50. I have heard it is awesome, so there's a start.

some I recommend are twilight princess, mario kart, new super mario bros, no more heroes, mad world, zack and wiki, warioware smooth moves, epic mickey, trauma center to get you started

There are lots of good games for the Wii. To add to the above:

Okami
Little King's Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Sin & Punishment
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
Metroid Prime Trilogy (harder to find now)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

$53 for a Wii or...

$350+ for a Wii U...

Yeah I think you made the right decision.

Especially if you got a BC Wii. There are so many good Gamecube games if you haven't played one before.

Some good games others haven't mentioned:

Monster Hunter Tri
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Paper Mario
Sonic Colors

Definitely pick up the Mario Galaxy games.

My favorite Wii game is Super Smash Bros. So add that to your list of must buy!

I would also suggest Wii Sports and Boom Blox.

I myself just picked up a special edition red wii w/new super mario bros and wii sports a few weeks ago so I could play Xenoblade Chronicles. I can't recommend the game enough!

Also, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Smash Bros Brawl are going to $30 starting this Sunday, plus Pikmin 2 w/new play controls for $20.

[quote name='coolz481']I myself just picked up a special edition red wii w/new super mario bros and wii sports a few weeks ago so I could play Xenoblade Chronicles. I can't recommend the game enough!

Also, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Smash Bros Brawl are going to $30 starting this Sunday, plus Pikmin 2 w/new play controls for $20.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with this posters recommendations.

I'll throw my recommendations at:

Punchout
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Madworld
Zack and Wiki

Grab for WiiWare -
Castlevania Rebirth
and Contra Rebirth

Both of those are gems.

And of course, any first party titles. I especially like Rhythm Heaven Fever.

Worth it so you can display gamecube games via component cable if anything (especially if your main TV is a HDTV), wii component cables are very common but gamecube cables are very uncommon and expensive, and also some models of the cube don't even have the extra port for component. At least I think that is what the extra port is used for. Anyone who doesn't have a Wii yet and has an HDTV if you can get a Wii for $40-50 bucks it would be worth it for this feature alone. Its probably cheaper to buy a Wii at this point than to track down the alternate gamecube cables.

Buy a cheap Wii now play what is good in the library, pick up Wii U down the line when all the games are out and the console has dropped in price.

I recommend Opoona if you are looking for a very unique RPG.

If you play first party games avoid Pokemon Pokepark like the plague, it is the most boring and uninteresting game I think I have ever played in my life and I have played some turds. I honestly think I got more enjoyment out of Hannah montana and hIgh school musical for xbox 360 even though I was just going for the achievements for a quick score boost especially since I got the games super cheap, because those games actually had game to them. In pokepark all you do is play a few minigames and run around and make friends with pokemon.

New Wiis don't have GameCube ports, if you recall.

I recommend Zack & Wiki, definitely the best 3rd party game released on Wii, as well as Punch-Out.

EDIT:
For Wii Ware I recommend Excitebike: World Rally and Mega Man 9 (This one is the best game on the system)

Last edited by a moderator:
Batman: The Brave and the Bold - without a doubt. Wayforward is an amazing developer and this game is great, especially with two players.

I think TRU has it for $20 and they're offering two for $30 on all $20 Wii games.

And on WiiWare, I recommend Target Toss: Pro Bags. Maybe its a midwest thing but I love me some bags.

Most people who have already replied have given good recommendations. Okami was my favorite game experience on the Wii. I don't think anyone has mentioned Wii Sports Resort yet, if you're into that kind of game it's really fun. For Wiiware, the Excitebike game is a blast. And for Gamecube, if you never played Eternal Darkness it is an excellent game.

Conduit 1&2 were quite good
Tatsunoko(sp?) vs. Capcom
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Wii Sports Resort
Super Mario All Stars Collection
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Trauma Team
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Red Steel 2

That's all that I can really think of that have not been already said.

No More Heroes 1&2
Madworld
Trauma Center
A Boy and His Blob
Resident Evil 4
Dead Space Extraction
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy

House of the Dead: Overkill
Madworld
Okami
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Sin & Punishment
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Trauma Team

Xenoblade Chronicles
No More Heroes
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Kirby Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Paper Mario
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
TLoZ: Skyward Sword
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Okami
Madworld
Chocobo's Dungeon
A Boy and His Blob
RE4, if you haven't played it.
Dead Space Extraction
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy, though as someone said earlier, it's kinda hard to find now.

I'll come back if I think of more.

If you like JRPGs, I'd recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends for the game cube, although you might have a hard time finding a copy.

Resident Evil 4
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Party
Wii Sports
The Just Dance Series
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Boom Blox: Bash Party
Super Mario Galaxy 1 AND 2
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Sports Resort
Mario Party 9
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story

Kirby's Epic Yarn

If anyone has told you this game is not worth having, don't believe the hate. Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of the most charming games currently on the market. The visuals are nothing short of inspired.

I would also throw out a recommendation for Endless Ocean: Blue World.

More shameless promotion of one of my lists for Wii games in 2010 (link, click it!).

I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do one for every year, as I think with the Wii U out soon, more people are going to be asking this question. I think the box art visual helps, as some good games will get lost in the sea of text otherwise.

Also I would like to add Bit.Trip Complete, one awesome game that hasn't be mentioned yet, great value for the $20 or less on Amazon.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do one for every year[/QUOTE]

I think this is a very good idea. I found your list quite informative. While I have acquired a significant number of titles on that list, there were a few that had passed me by. (and that I will be keeping an eye out for at used game stores) The Wii shelves at used game stores tend to be stuffed with dross that is difficult to sift through. Knowing about some lesser-known titles ahead of time would make the search for worthwhile bargains a lot easier.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I think this is a very good idea. I found your list quite informative. While I have acquired a significant number of titles on that list, there were a few that had passed me by. (and that I will be keeping an eye out for at used game stores) The Wii shelves at used game stores tend to be stuffed with dross that is difficult to sift through. Knowing about some lesser-known titles ahead of time would make the search for worthwhile bargains a lot easier.[/QUOTE]
Alright, so you encouraged me to take on every year now, starting with 2006, as it was pretty easy to do by comparison.

I also find this list good to compare up against the Wii U launch titles, which the Wii U's offerings look miles better to me in 20/20 hindsight. Then again I'm sure there are many other games that looked promising in October 2006 that failed miserably upon release, so take that as you will for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I already have most of the notable stand-outs from 2006. And its quite understandable that the 2006 would be so short, the Wii only had a month and a half in that window, after all. I would imagine the 2007 list should be much more interesting.

Taking me longer than I expected (since I spend about half of the time educating myself), but here is the list for 2007, which was a great year overall. I also updated the 2010 list a bit to round it off to an even 30, since I left a few notable games out in my first cut.

I'm looking forward to doing 2011, as most people think its a pretty bad year overall for the Wii. I think I can still find at least 20 titles worth mentioning, though I'll have to wait until 2008 and 2009 are finished.

I would definitely agree with "zak and Wiki". GREAT game, can't recommend it enough.

"Cursed Mountain" is good, one of the more interesting Survival Horror games out there.

"Xenoblade Chronicles" is freaking great. Big as can be for a J-RPG and I highly suggest it. "Last Story" is Sakaguchi so you can't go wrong with the story though I've heard the load times are really off.

"Red Steel 2" is very fun, has an arcade feel.

As long as the shooting controls are tight I'd also recommend "House Of the Dead 2 and 3" even if somehow 3 is not suppose to look as good as its original release.

What else? "Ghost Squad", "LA Machineguns". I'd like to recommend the SNK Anthology but I've heard that Wii controls are forced on some games.

Pretty much most of the Nintendo official stuff you can't do wrong with either.

A friend has told me how great "Sonic Colors" is too and "Madworld" is suppose to be great albeit short.

VCS recommendations are: "Dracula X: Rondo Of Blood"

I agree with Ghost Squad, it's fairly short but worth playing through multiple times, and it's a blast if you have someone to play the game with.

I really wanted to get into Zack And Wiki, I gave it multiple tries but for some reason I could never get into it as much as everyone else who think it's an amazing game. I don't know why, after a while it just lost my interest.

Cursed Mountain is definitely a unique take on the survival horror game, I need to get back to playing it, I got stuck part way through the game and never went back to it. But what I've played is quite good.

Done with the 2011 list, which in hindsight really wasn't that bad. Probably the most fun out of all the lists to make, simply for devil's advocate sake. Poor Shipwreck is going to have a fun time going through all of my uploads for the cover arts...

Wii Retrospect 2011

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Finished off and posted the 2009 list, only two more years to go. Probably the most underrated year ever, I was surprised how many great but least discussed games came out that year.

Wii Retrospect 2009[/QUOTE]

It pleases me to see how many titles in my collection show up on your lists. And I do appreciate some of the more obscure references that I will need to keep an eye out for.

At the same time, I think I have neared the point where I don't have to push quite as hard to collect further Wii games. Barring a few minor omissions, my Wii collection is fairly complete.

(smirk) I had the foresight to pounce on a brand-new copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy at GameCrazy when it was on sale for $25. Every time I see it in a used game store for $60+ I indulge in an evil grin. The steel case with its clear plastic slip cover looks soooooo good on my shelf.

[quote name='Richard Kain'](smirk) I had the foresight to pounce on a brand-new copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy at GameCrazy when it was on sale for $25. Every time I see it in a used game store for $60+ I indulge in an evil grin. The steel case with its clear plastic slip cover looks soooooo good on my shelf.[/QUOTE]
Funny story, I remember going through a Fry's Marketplace at their games section, and I saw both MP3 and MPT, with Corruption tagged at $49.99, and then MPT discounted at $39.XX (something in that range). At the time I thought who would buy the stand alone game for more when the trilogy was right next to it for 10 bucks cheaper?

Of course now I know who the real fool is. :wall:

I actually saw the deal for Metroid Prime Trilogy at $25 here on CAG! Normally I wait until games go down to $20. But this was a collectors edition with multiple games and a steel case, so I came to the conclusion that $25 was just fine. Never regretted it.

Also, for anyone who's interested, now is a good time to grab Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. Capcom's license with Tatsunoko just ran out, so no more copies of that game are ever going to be produced. It is officially out-of-print with no hope of future reprints. (like we saw with some Atlus games) If anyone doesn't already have this Wii title, it is going to be getting increasingly rare in the coming years.

You should play Eternal Darkness if you like dark games (horror). Should be in anyones list who has a gamecube.

btw. i just got myself a Wii and wonder if the Nintendo store is the only way to get these old games. I need to buy a GC controller still.
And, can you actually play GC titles with the Wii. I mean the actual disc with an adapter of sorts.

bread's done
Back