Would it be possible to not have off-topic board posts show on the front page?

jmcc

CAGiversary!
The off-topic board threads seem to be mainly flamewars lately. Would it be possible for that board not to have it's posts displayed in the "latest message board posts" area on the front page? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd hate to miss out on a deal or something because of whatever political bitch-fight is going on that day.

about 80 percent of the front page is about deals and trading. I see no reason to make others work hard because someone is too lazy

[quote name='CaseyRyback']about 80 percent of the front page is about deals and trading. I see no reason to make others work hard because someone is too lazy[/quote]

On the list of messages that was generated the last time I came to the site 5/10 of them were from the off topic forum.

Possible? Probably. Likely to happen? Probably not.

I've been asking to remove the trading list posts from that section of the site for ages...and it hasn't happened yet.

And as far as the toggle system goes, I don't think that would work. Our forum accounts have no bearing at all on the front page, if I'm not mistaken. It would be a huge hassle to get that working...unless I'm ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about, which tends to be the case. :D

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']...unless I'm ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about, which tends to be the case. :D[/quote]

I'll say. Remember the time you told me that putting my sandwich in the linear particle accelerator at Stanford would yield 2 sandwiches? Man, you were WAY off.

Ya know, I have to say that is a great idea.

If you don't want to post in the off-topic area, don't. But if you never see what's there (by knocking it off the front page), you'll be tempted to post.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Our forum accounts have no bearing at all on the front page, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you are. And, if you aren't, it really wouldn't be that big of a hassle to connect things properly.
That said, I don't think it should really be necessary. As it is, I rarely see off-topics on the front page, even though I enjoy arguing in those threads most.

[quote name='jmcc']The off-topic board threads seem to be mainly flamewars lately. Would it be possible for that board not to have it's posts displayed in the "latest message board posts" area on the front page? [/quote]
Great idea!

i have mixed opinions on this...

i agree that too many threads in the OT board have turned into nothing but annoying bitch-fests, but some of the threads are truly entertaining. I know we are supposed to be here for game stuff, which most of us are, but ultimately this site is intended to provide info AND (IMO) entertainment...whatever form it may come in...

Yeah, sometimes i wish i didn't have to see that shit when i fist come to the site, but i think switching it entirely off would be overkill.

...but that's just one man's opinion.

well i like seing all the recent posts at the front page so i know what the current topics are. but if anything this should b an optional setting to not include certain boards from appearing on the front page, even then this will probally b too much work for something that isnt really required.

bread's done
Back