Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS3) $29.99 @ Newegg

Raukue

CAGiversary!
I have never made a post before about this, usually others beat me to it, but because I chose to get alerted of a price on CAG here, which is pretty neat, here it is.

PS3 Only?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879233062

Is it a sale? New price?

Dunno if it was worth posting, others probably got an alert as well, I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't have posted, maybe some else did already. Anyway... is that a good price or would it get lower? Sorry if not a good post, new to this.

[quote name='chunlirocks']Doesn't the 360 version run better ?
Still a good deal[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard that before. I have the 360 version, but I know people that have the PS3 version that claims it runs flawlessly. The thing runs perfectly on both systems, though I think there might be a bug on some regular old-school CRT TVs for some reason.

[quote name='GuardianE']This is seriously worth it a million times over. It'll go lower eventually, but not for a while.[/QUOTE]

Is there someone wrong with the porting (ala Silent Hill) or you just don't think the games themselves are worth the price?

[quote name='blindinglights']It'll be $20 soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, I refuse to pay more than $20 for any of these HD collections

I'm still holding out on $20 for this as well. I like DmC, just don't seem worth more than $20 for the set. Especially since Capcom also released a boxed collection of the SD versions on the PS2 for like $30 back in the day.

[quote name='Gosha']I'm still holding out on $20 for this as well. I like DmC, just don't seem worth more than $20 for the set. Especially since Capcom also released a boxed collection of the SD versions on the PS2 for like $30 back in the day.[/QUOTE]

It's "DMC". "DmC" is the other series. Sorry for nitpicking, but it's a deliberate distinction and a pet peeve of mine.

I don't think this will be at $20 for at least another 6 months, and then for only a brief sale. This is actually the very first sale since being released 2 months ago.

Gonna wait for them to be sold eventually on PSN. I loved DMC back in the day, but I only want to play thru DMC 3 again, so I'm not paying $29.99 for one game.

Has Jak & Daxter been $30 yet? I can't figure out some of these HD Collections. Some plummet right away, and others maintain their value for quite a while.

Anyways, I paid $29 used during a GoHastings sale for this. I'm a sucker for these collections.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Has Jak & Daxter been $30 yet? I can't figure out some of these HD Collections. Some plummet right away, and others maintain their value for quite a while.

Anyways, I paid $29 used during a GoHastings sale for this. I'm a sucker for these collections.[/QUOTE]

i just buy them new at launch can't wait to play them lol but not every single one. jak is a great HD collection the developers actually did a very nice job. Next up for me is Ratchet and clank

hoping for a hitman hd collection
and GTA hd collection

[quote name='GuardianE']I don't think this will be at $20 for at least another 6 months, and then for only a brief sale. This is actually the very first sale since being released 2 months ago.[/QUOTE]won't take that long there will be deals towards summer end or before school starts. They gotta clear stock prior to the fall game wave.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']My problem with this is its not a full HD remake, Capcom did a lazy job and barely improved visuals[/QUOTE]

Yeah for some reason they felt like they didn't need to touch up the cutscenes. WTF is up with that?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']My problem with this is its not a full HD remake, Capcom did a lazy job and barely improved visuals[/QUOTE]

The fact that Capcom invested minimal resources in developing this collection allows them to sell 3 games for $40 total rather than selling a complete upgraded version of each game for $60 a piece.

Thats what I read as well. I am waiting for Jak and Daxter to come down and then when Ratchet and Clank come out I will buy it when it goes on sale. I have more confidence they will be true HD remakes.

What I want is a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection. Been forever since I played KH1 and 2. I still have those games but a bit of a hassle just to play them for me at this point.

Anyway, as one mentioned earlier, is the 360 or PS3 version of Devil May Cry HD Collection better? And where would one find that information?

[quote name='Thrinn']The fact that Capcom invested minimal resources in developing this collection allows them to sell 3 games for $40 total rather than selling a complete upgraded version of each game for $60 a piece.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're being sarcastic. The Ico/Shadow collection was $40 and that had substantial work done to each game. Similarly, most of the other Sony collections have been well done. There is no excuse for what Capcom did on this one, $40 price tag or not.

[quote name='tylerh1701']^Lens of Truth is a good resource for bigger releases. Unfortunately they nor I can help you in regards to the DMC Collection.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lens of Truth and Eurogamer do that with bigger releases, just not games like that or lesser games. So it can be hard to find out which one is better. I would think PS3 was since it was on PS2 only back in the day I think, but then again PS2 probably used something similar to 360s structure so I dunno.

As for poor HD collections yeah, some companies do a cruddy lazy job. But some do a good proper job like God of War HD and Shadow/Ico as was mentioned. Then there are those that are outright bad, such as Silent Hill HD, partly because they lost the source code from what I heard so yeah.

[quote name='bojay1997']The Ico/Shadow collection was $40 and that had substantial work done to each game.[/QUOTE]

The Ico/Shadow collection also had one less game that had to be ported. The developers also didn't have to spend time and money bringing that collection to two different systems. They could focus solely on the strengths of the PS3. In a way the extras helped to justify the $40 price tag to consumers when other companies were offering 3-game collections for the same price. Plus Sony didn't have to worry about paying any hardware royalties to publish the game. That allowed them a larger profit margin on each disc sold compared to the DMC collection and therefore they could justify investing more the collection's development.

[quote name='Thrinn']The Ico/Shadow collection also had one less game that had to be ported. The developers also didn't have to spend time and money bringing that collection to two different systems. They could focus solely on the strengths of the PS3. In a way the extras helped to justify the $40 price tag to consumers when other companies were offering 3-game collections for the same price. Plus Sony didn't have to worry about paying any hardware royalties to publish the game. That allowed them a larger profit margin on each disc sold compared to the DMC collection and therefore they could justify investing more the collection's development.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but there is no reason Capcom couldn't have done a proper job on this and still maintained the $40 price tag. There are literally companies now that specialize in these HD remakes and they essentially do the work for a few hundred thousand dollars using a small team. Hardware royalties and replication fees are very minimal and other companies seem to deal with them just fine on their HD collections. Capcom just did what they have been doing more and more lately which is delivering the bare minimum to squeeze out the maximum profit.

[quote name='bojay1997']I'm sorry, but there is no reason Capcom couldn't have done a proper job on this and still maintained the $40 price tag. There are literally companies now that specialize in these HD remakes and they essentially do the work for a few hundred thousand dollars using a small team. Hardware royalties and replication fees are very minimal and other companies seem to deal with them just fine on their HD collections. Capcom just did what they have been doing more and more lately which is delivering the bare minimum to squeeze out the maximum profit.[/QUOTE]

The royalties are in no way minimal. According to this link it's $7 per copy that goes to the platform owner for a $60 game. That may scale down to somewhere around $5 for a $40 game.

If you want a company that delivers the bare minimum when it comes to these collections, look no further than Ubisoft. In the Prince of Persia trilogy they cropped part of the screen off to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio and completely cut the multiplayer content from the Splinter Cell collection.

My point is the Ico/SotC collection offers you 2 games + extras for $40. The DMC collection offers you 3 games as-is for the same price. To me they're both pretty solid good collections.

Last edited by a moderator:
I held off and I'm glad I did. Not updating the cut scenes is a damned shame. $20 or less, now.

I got Lollipop Chainsaw instead for $45 on Amazon.

"aaronrodgers" ... your avatar. I don't have a 360 anymore, but Lost Odyssey was brilliant. I still listen to the soundtrack. Those dream sequences were incredibly moving.

The games run at 60fps with cleaned up textures and visuals. What more do you want? I really don't understand. It's bare-bones porting, but it's solid, and when you look at the disaster that is the Silent Hill HD Collection, I think it becomes obvious how bad HD Collections can actually become. There was considerable work done on each of the titles.

For those who are saying that Capcom (actually Foundation 9 did the porting) didn't upgrade the visuals, I dare you to go back to the original games and see how they look by comparison.

Also, several of the cutscenes can't be up-res'd because they're actual movies. They'd have to completely remake the entire cutscene in order to make it "HD", and I'm pretty sure they don't have the assets to do that anymore (nor is ANY HD port job likely ever going to do that. Look at actual CG cutscenes in any HD port out now.). The more extravagant cutscenes in DMC3 were created in-engine for a uniform look, but they are still just movies in video format. A lot of you are expecting way too much out of an HD Collection, frankly. I can understand wanting to wait for a lower price, but this is absolutely NOT a bad port.

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Does these DMC games work better on a control pad or a control stick? If it works better on the pad, I'll just pick it up for PS3.[/QUOTE]

The d-pad in DMC3 actually toggles menus, so the stick is the only real way to control.

[quote name='TheKbob']I held off and I'm glad I did. Not updating the cut scenes is a damned shame. $20 or less, now.

I got Lollipop Chainsaw instead for $45 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

FYI, most of the cutscenes actually are updated so that they fit widescreen format, and a lot of the cutscenes ARE in HD because they were rendered in-game. Like I said above, the cutscenes that are just movies rendered in-engine, however have minimal touching up. Unfortunately, that means the crazier cutscenes are more pixelated since those were the ones that required the most editing and couldn't be run in real time during the PS2 era (they still look good, though). It's honestly just not realistic. Though, I can understand wanting to wait for $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: NVM you addressed what I said, awesome.

And yep, $20 seems fit for these games as I have played them already (even DMC2... I pre-ordered that, beat it in a day, and flipped it).

It'll be cheaper soon.

[quote name='TheKbob']Edit: NVM you addressed what I said, awesome.

And yep, $20 seems fit for these games as I have played them already (even DMC2... I pre-ordered that, beat it in a day, and flipped it).

It'll be cheaper soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your question was, but the biggest gripe aesthetically that I had with the collection was that some of the menus are in 4:3 and some of DMC1's cutscenes are in 4:3. The menus being in 4:3 is just nitpicky, in my opinion. I personally couldn't care less that the menu doesn't take up the whole screen as long as the menu is in HD.

As for the cutscenes, it again has to do with the limitations of the video cutscenes. In DMC1, there wasn't a letterbox in the cutscenes that were in video format, whereas in DMC3 did use letterbox. This let them edit DMC3 cutscenes, but they unfortunately didn't have the same flexibility with DMC1.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Lollipop Chainsaw. I have it pre-ordered myself, so enjoy! :)

[quote name='GuardianE']
The d-pad in DMC3 actually toggles menus, so the stick is the only real way to control.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll get it for 360 then. :D

[quote name='TheKbob']"aaronrodgers" ... your avatar. I don't have a 360 anymore, but Lost Odyssey was brilliant. I still listen to the soundtrack. Those dream sequences were incredibly moving.[/QUOTE]

Lost Odyssey is one of my all time favorite games of ever. xD The battle theme is a ringtone on my phone. The Thousand Years of Dreams were amazing.

Will always have wonderful memories of LO. Great to talk with other fans.

I'm waiting for $19.99 or less on this one. All these HD rereleases are not all that impressive really, you could get better results with your PS2 discs in an emulator sadly.

[quote name='GuardianE']The games run at 60fps with cleaned up textures and visuals. What more do you want? I really don't understand. It's bare-bones porting, but it's solid, and when you look at the disaster that is the Silent Hill HD Collection, I think it becomes obvious how bad HD Collections can actually become. There was considerable work done on each of the titles.

For those who are saying that Capcom (actually Foundation 9 did the porting) didn't upgrade the visuals, I dare you to go back to the original games and see how they look by comparison.

Also, several of the cutscenes can't be up-res'd because they're actual movies. They'd have to completely remake the entire cutscene in order to make it "HD", and I'm pretty sure they don't have the assets to do that anymore (nor is ANY HD port job likely ever going to do that. Look at actual CG cutscenes in any HD port out now.). The more extravagant cutscenes in DMC3 were created in-engine for a uniform look, but they are still just movies in video format. A lot of you are expecting way too much out of an HD Collection, frankly. I can understand wanting to wait for a lower price, but this is absolutely NOT a bad port.

FYI, most of the cutscenes actually are updated so that they fit widescreen format, and a lot of the cutscenes ARE in HD because they were rendered in-game. Like I said above, the cutscenes that are just movies rendered in-engine, however have minimal touching up. Unfortunately, that means the crazier cutscenes are more pixelated since those were the ones that required the most editing and couldn't be run in real time during the PS2 era (they still look good, though). It's honestly just not realistic. Though, I can understand wanting to wait for $20.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great post addressing all the ignorant whining in this thread.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Thanks for the great post addressing all the ignorant whining in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Nothing ignorant about it at all. Most of us just won't pay $40 for something that is not much better than we already own. Consumers like yourself who accept the bare minimum are the reason why Capcom and other companies will continue to do a half assed job on these collections.

[quote name='bojay1997']Nothing ignorant about it at all. Most of us just won't pay $40 for something that is not much better than we already own. Consumers like yourself who accept the bare minimum are the reason why Capcom and other companies will continue to do a half assed job on these collections.[/QUOTE]

The HD versions of DMC 1, 2 and 3 are far better looking than the originals and much more than the bare minimum of effort went into making them. Look at the Silent Hill HD collection to see an actual example of a half-assed HD port, instead of embarrassing yourself by claiming DMC HD is some sort of hack job when it clearly is not.

Also, DMC 3 has 'bonus content' and is the "special edition". Don't think you'll find that anywhere else. Do not know exactly what it offers as a bonus, haven't opened it yet.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Also, DMC 3 has 'bonus content' and is the "special edition". Don't think you'll find that anywhere else. Do not know exactly what it offers as a bonus, haven't opened it yet.[/QUOTE]

It allows you to play as Vergil, as well as some other content I can't remember.

[quote name='Curufinwe']The HD versions of DMC 1, 2 and 3 are far better looking than the originals and much more than the bare minimum of effort went into making them. Look at the Silent Hill HD collection to see an actual example of a half-assed HD port, instead of embarrassing yourself by claiming DMC HD is some sort of hack job when it clearly is not.[/QUOTE]

To me, Ico and Shadow collection is the gold standard. If it's not up to that (which clearly it's not), there really is no point. I already own and have played through the originals. I don't need something that just has a quick gloss of paint and some upscaling for another $40. There really is little point in continuing to argue this. If you think it's a good deal, by all means buy it. The rest of us will either wait for a significant price drop or not bother at all.

bread's done
Back