McVan's Video Games to close its doors in fort wayne indiana

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120613/NEWS/120619856

probally mostly everything is gone .... Just did their facebook Link and found out this GOING BELLY Up started last friday so very good chance anything good is long gone

On Monday, customers browsed the Fort Wayne stores picking through games and movies offered at 50 to 75 percent off. Some of the McVan’s workers were visibly upset, and no one was answering phones at any of the three stores

I plan on hitting up the JEfferson store today before work and maybe the maplecrest store After work today..

i still remember being banned from the stores back in the early 90s for flipping... funny thing is they said the reason is

The whole industry is kind of shifting away from the physical media and just going to a download format,” Guy said. “A lot of kids have phones or iPods, and they’re just playing $1 apps instead of dropping $40 on a Game Boy game

No its cause there are now what 15 to 20 other places in the city that you can sell your games to.. Back in 1990 there was none of these places ..

In a way sad to see them go

Man post 50% off and you got a Freaking zoo inside the store.. More people there today then the last 6 months.. everything good is gone dont waste your time

Ahhhh, now where am I going to get my gaming fix!!?

Just kidding, I assume "McVan's Video Games" is just an Indiana thing? I've never heard of them before.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Ahhhh, now where am I going to get my gaming fix!!?

Just kidding, I assume "McVan's Video Games" is just an Indiana thing? I've never heard of them before.[/QUOTE]

yea it was mostly i think an indiana

had 3 stores in fort wayne 1 or 2 in indy (what they closed last year) and a few down south part of indiana what they closed back in may.

woo 30 bucks for a Super mario 64 Ds cart with no box or book... yea lets all run to that store LOL

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I the reason that they had to drop to that price level was because most of their games were close to that much over retail. They lost alot of business when other stores came into town and were selling things at closer to retail. I went in looking to PS1 RPG's earlier this year and most were 20-50% over what I could get them for at retail. Also mot of the employees never even acknowledged that you were in the store until you talked to them.

Last time I drove by their store on maplecrest, they had a lot of stuff still in there. I wonder what they are going to do with it? It looks like they closed their ebay store as well.

I didn't really go to the store a lot, but it was nice to check for older game accessories.

I totally forgot to reply to this thread.

I lived in Fort Wayne for 25+ years (up until 2009) so I remember McVans all too well. I will first off say that them closing because people don't want physical games is total BS because that was NOT their problem. Their problem was their prices were too high, trade-ins didn't work out, games were no longer at the right pricing level, etc. Plus, many other stores became better for trading and buying used games.

Back in the 16 bit days when there were very few used game retailers around, McVans was awesome. Games were expensive brand new, so being able to trade for another game for only $5-$10 was great. During the PS1/N64 era, I still found them pretty useful even if prices of newer games were getting cheaper (like brand new PS1 games were $40). Once the PS2/Xbox/GC generation took over, that's when they started going downhill where I just found EB Games a better option for buying used games (way cheaper).

I remember when McVans use to be packed, then it became a ghost town. IMO, seems to have gone downhill once Rob (who was Van) left.

My "Local" McVan's (Evansville) went out a few months ago.

It *was* a great store, with a decent selection of older stuff (NES, SNES, even some Atari and Intellivision stuff).. but man, their prices. You know those pawn shops and flea markets where the sellers price based off the highest eBay auctions? I'm pretty sure that's how McVan's did their entire pricing. There was never a deal to be had in that place.

I was sad when I heard our local store was closing, but then I thought about it... it'd had been at least a year since I went in there to even browse.

[quote name='UncleBob']My "Local" McVan's (Evansville) went out a few months ago.

It *was* a great store, with a decent selection of older stuff (NES, SNES, even some Atari and Intellivision stuff).. but man, their prices. You know those pawn shops and flea markets where the sellers price based off the highest eBay auctions? I'm pretty sure that's how McVan's did their entire pricing. There was never a deal to be had in that place.

I was sad when I heard our local store was closing, but then I thought about it... it'd had been at least a year since I went in there to even browse.[/QUOTE]

Their prices were horrible. Even when everything was 50% off I bought a few things that I went home and found gamestop was still a bit cheaper than what I paid. I did get a couple of older jrpg game guides for 50% off list price which was cheaper than I could find them online. Last time I shopped there was almost 2 years ago because I was having a rock band party and needed a mic that day so I bought an over priced one from them that was like 25 bucks.

i can see why the washington center road shut down and shocked they stayed open as long as they did .... the rent (unless they got it cheaper ) is insane ....

called up the number and the lady goes i think rent is 2500 a month... but was not sure if i wanted it i had to call back....

there was no way in hell that store was making 1000 a month let alone 2500

that company had to be bleeding cash for years

i still remember finding vandle hearts 1 and playing it for 8 hours that night (my cat just had kittens a few weeks before that and they were crawling all over my bed and tv trying to figure out what all those lights were on tv....
and getting a SEGA CD with 6 games for like 70 bucks back in 1994 played that all night...

MAN I MISS THOSE DAYS

remember when we all though sewer shark was so freaking AWESOME LOL

$2,500 is about what commercial rent goes for in a city. My cousin owns a business outside of town (although pretty big space) and pays more. That's why they say it takes money to make money.

Wasn't a big fan of McVan's, but I'll give a shout out to Disc Replay. Decent selection and very good prices. I've flipped a few games I got from there and made money. And I've kicked myself checking prices online and figuring out what a great deal it would have been only to go back and they don't have it. And ironically enough, the last cartridge I bought from there had a big McVan's sticker on the back.

bread's done
Back