Whats the best F2P MMO (Free to Play) currently?

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Im looking to get back into MMORPG casualy because I have hardly any time to dedicate to a MMO. Here are some I found out about.

Conan: Unchained
World of Warcraft: Starter Edition (Already got it, feels really dated)
Tera (Great combat, but no time to dedicate to it, so I canceled membership)
Lord of The Rings

Any others? Looking for a high quality MMO, that doesent require using real money to progress forther.

Honestly,I'll just say hold out for Guildwars 2. It's only like 2-3 weeks away and I heard it's turning out very well. I think they have a beta going on ATM if I'm not mistaking.

Edit: nvm. I thought GW2 was coming out late June.

DDO is what I play. System requirements are reasonable, pretty decent player community. There is a good amount of content for a free to player, up until level 10-12. It starts getting thin there, but by that point you may be able to get some free packs with the points you have earned.

I have had no problem grinding out Turbine points to keep it as free as possible, just takes some patience, but it is a pretty fun game. I can even answer questions about it too! :)

I play Star Trek Online a bit, if you're into Star Trek. The space combat is pretty amazing, and I got to max level without paying a dime.

Oh I forgot to add, you can use in-game currency to buy absolutely anything that costs real world money.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a normal MMO experience then LOTRO is my pick. I have been playing it for years now, the free bits at the start are huge and you earn Turbine points as you play so you could potentially keep buying new areas with all in game currency.

It's not a fancy new game with all the latest gimmicks and features, its a really good core MMO for people who want that sort of thing. Roll on Landroval for the extra bonus of sometimes have role playing events and a community that really gets into the game.

While its not an MMO I highly recommend trying out Tribes Ascend. Its really fantastic and the F2P part IMO works fine as you can unlock almost everything with XP you get while playing. (Though it does take a while). Real money just speeds up unlocking of stuff but you can do fine with the stock classes to start.

[quote name='red flare graf']I play Star Trek Online a bit, if you're into Star Trek. The space combat is pretty amazing, and I got to max level without paying a dime.

Oh I forgot to add, you can use in-game currency to buy absolutely anything that costs real world money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I play STO. You can get the Collectors Ed off amazon for less then 15 bucks and that gives you "gold" status for unlocks. And after that expires you keep everything you've unlocked. The only thing that costs money is fluff and not needed at all to play the game. Plus you can trade in game earning for money to spend in their cash shop. So if you are willing to work a bit you can get the pay stuff for free/cheaper.

[quote name='Vap']Honestly,I'll just say hold out for Guildwars 2. It's only like 2-3 weeks away and I heard it's turning out very well. I think they have a beta going on ATM if I'm not mistaking.

Edit: nvm. I thought GW2 was coming out late June.[/QUOTE]
I was hoping it would be out next week, but there is another beta event on the 27th and all the sites for pre-order have posted dec 2012

I really like Global Agenda.

If you get into it, it's worth getting the higher tier of membership, but it's not required (especially now that they've added in the new area).

Anyone check out the new Tribes game?

I heard it mentioned, think it was mentioned positively, but didn't read about it at all.

Might try Star Trek. Played WoW most of today and got to level 17 all ready. Was actually going to purchase it and pay for a month but found I needed to pay 50 worth of updates to be caught up. Not going to do that for a game I am going to only play a lot over the next month then won't have as much time for after.
I was going to play DCUO but I couldn't answer my security question for password reset so we'll see if support can fix that tomorrow. Downloaded Star Trek and LOTR to try. Been downloading Star Wars all day. I've got 15 mbps internet but its still only half done.

Screw Lotr been stuck the past hour on the first quest past the tutorial with the elf. The map on that game sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both EQ games went free to play as well. EQ2 is basically free to play to the max level but you have to pay a one time fee to use certain classes or pay $15 a month to unlock everything. I know a lot of epic/certain items can't be equipped but at least you can hit the highest level. Not sure how long that will take though, EQ was always very slow in terms of level progression compared to WoW.

I am playing WoW myself and I'm already near 20. If there was a way to pay $5 a month just to use two characters or even one I might be all for it, but $12 a month is still a bit much (on the 6 month plan, paying two installments twice a year)

[quote name='Lord Jezo']If you want a normal MMO experience then LOTRO is my pick. I have been playing it for years now, the free bits at the start are huge and you earn Turbine points as you play so you could potentially keep buying new areas with all in game currency.

It's not a fancy new game with all the latest gimmicks and features, its a really good core MMO for people who want that sort of thing. Roll on Landroval for the extra bonus of sometimes have role playing events and a community that really gets into the game.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree, but I think the graphics look great. Maybe not as good as a game that came out last month, but really pretty.
Especially if you're used to WoW.

Also, as a fan of the Lord of the Rings, there's something really cool about visiting all of the places from the books and movies.

Awesome community as well. Landroval is the server for fun events and good population.

lets revive this thread, because i am also looking for a good f2p mmo, and i am looking at lotro but i want more suggestions.

You can try GW2. To play Guild Wars 2, all you need to do is pay $60 for a copy of the game and you no longer have to pay any monthly fees.
Lots of games on http://www.Allcdkey.com Choose the one you like best with 6% Coupon Code: ALLCDKEY52653..

[quote name='benzbird']You can try GW2. To play Guild Wars 2, all you need to do is pay $60 for a copy of the game and you no longer have to pay any monthly fees.
Lots of games on http://www.Allcdkey.com Choose the one you like best with 6% Coupon Code: ALLCDKEY52653..[/QUOTE]

That's not F2P. If any money leaves your hand to play at all...it's not F2P....Reading is becoming a lost art.

Diablo III is now F2p Starter.

I've been going back to Allods Online with some new friends. Lots of content added.

bread's done
Back