* * * * - 14 votes

GOG Deals Thread

GOG Good Old Games Retro Old Games DOS DRM-free DRM free pedobear approved

#7081 dorath  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

I feel the same way about papers please.  I am not against it but had different expectations

#7082 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6205 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

GOG Summer Sale Day 09

60% or 80% off Spellforce Saga (Full bundle cost $5.97)

Spellforce Platinum - $3.99 or $1.99
Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars - $3.99 or $1.99
Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm - $3.99 or $1.99

60% or 80% off Gothic 2+3 (full bundle cost $5.97)

Gothic 2 Gold Edition - $3.99 or $1.99
Gothic 3 - $3.99 or $1.99
Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition - $3.99 or $1.99

#7083 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I think I got everything I wanted from the GOG sale:

Bloodrayne 1/2

Commandos 2/3 (I couldn't stand Commandos on Steam...it's extremely un-optimized)

Desperado 2

Disciples 2 Gold

Indigo Prophecy

Jade Empire

Journeyman Project Pegasus Rising

Penumbra Collection

Summoner

Sacred Gold

I may still get tempted when the Wing Commander bundle comes back up....I need Privateer 2. Overall a pretty good sale and stuff I seem to want to actually play (maybe not Desperados 2 but it came bundled with Commandos for cheap so eh and Summoner is a maybe play but was cheap enough).

#7084 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24729 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

{looks @ Nitro's post}

Oh, we doing GOG Hauls so far?

MysterD's Haul for GOG Summer Sale 2014...so far:

Bloodrayne 1

Bloodrayne 2

SiN: Gold Edition

Magrunner: Dark Pulse [FREE from GOG!]

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)

Still Life 2 [FREE from GOG !]

Jade Empire: Special Edition

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Two Worlds saga (Two Worlds 1: Epic + Two Worlds 2: Epic + Two Worlds 2: Tower Defense)

Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (side note: this also contains 15th Anniversary Edition, as well).

EDIT:

Here's my GOG + Steam + 3rd Party Summer Haul, so far:

http://www.cheapassg...now/?p=11879905

#7085 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6205 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

It'd probably just be easier to direct you to this post, than to itemize everything that I bought.

#7086 triplemint  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

I picked up The Bard's Tale at the last minute, and Magrunner of course

I changed my mind and am now waiting for the Avernum complete saga and possibly Jade Empire if Steam doesn't beat it

#7087 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24729 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

I picked up The Bard's Tale at the last minute, and Magrunner of course

I changed my mind and am now waiting for the Avernum complete saga and possibly Jade Empire if Steam doesn't beat it

While I don't have it on Steam...

Just be aware that it's well-known Jade Empire: Steam-version has some issues of its own.

If you want it on Stream - just be prepared to do some fixing on your own, to get it going.

Check the forums:

http://steamcommunit...10/discussions/

#7088 triplemint  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

While I don't have it on Steam...

Just be aware that it's well-known Jade Empire: Steam-version has some issues.

If you want it on Stream - just be prepared to do some fixing on your own, to get it going.

Check the forums:

http://steamcommunit...10/discussions/

Gog version it is then, thanks for the tip!

#7089 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24729 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Gog version it is then, thanks for the tip!

That's up to you.

I mean - either way, it look like you'll have to deal w/ Win7 or Win8 issues.

It's just Steam-version has extra Steam-related issues.

I know some people love to own everything on Steam - and can understand why someone would buy it there, even despite it having more issues. If one's tech-savvy - seems like they can get around it.

Personally - I'd rather have both versions...I'm greedy like that. ;)

If I had to pick myself - I'm a DRM-FREE nut and don't wanna deal w/ extra issues - I'd probably rather pick GOG Version.

I already have Jade Empire on retail DVD. Undecided on rebuying JE anywhere. It's not like I plan to play it soon, I don't think...

#7090 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6205 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

GOG Summer Sale Day 10

60% or 80% off Ultima Complete Saga (Full bundle cost $7.14)

Ultima 1, 2 & 3 - $2.39 or $1.19

Ultima 4, 5 & 6 - $2.39 or $1.19

Ultima 7: complete - $2.39 or $1.19

Ultima 8: Gold Edition - $2.39 or $1.19

Ultima 9: Ascension - $2.39 or $1.19

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - $2.39 or $1.19

60% or 80% off The Guild Collection (full bundle cost $5.97)

Guild Gold Edition, The -  $3.99 or $1.99
Guild 2, The - $3.99 or $1.99
Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas, The - $3.99 or $1.99

You know, it's almost cheating when I can just cut & paste the bundles for day 6's listing.

#7091 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Would anyone actually recommend Ultima 1-3? I have the rest but am tempted. Suprisingly I don't think I played them much when I got the Ultima Collection from Sams many years ago....I mainly played 4+.

#7092 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Would anyone actually recommend Ultima 1-3? I have the rest but am tempted. Suprisingly I don't think I played them much when I got the Ultima Collection from Sams many years ago....I mainly played 4+.

You know I'm an Ultima fan from way back but I really can't recommend them. They are just so seriously dated. I mean they were dated in the 90s. I'm almost embarrassed for GOG to even be selling them. The 4th one's even free and the first 3 are even more bare bones than that so I don't get why they would charge for it other than I guess because they can.

I'm sure purists would have a fit at me saying this, but there's an NES version of the third one that I think is slightly more tolerable in an RPGMaker sort of way. Of course you'd have to hunt around for that and an emulator.

#7093 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Anyone seen a flash on Sanitarium lately?  I'd like to try to grab that one in this sale.

#7094 Xealot42   Psi-Powered CAGiversary!   1424 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know if 11th Hour has been a flash sale?  I gave in, and picked up 7th guest a few hours ago, and would like to complete the set.  Just don't know if I need to be watching GOG constantly, or if 11th Hour isn't even going to show up as a flash.

Thanks.

FYI 11th hour is in the coming soon section now so it should be on sale again in an hour or so!

#7095 elessar123  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Anyone seen a flash on Sanitarium lately?  I'd like to try to grab that one in this sale.

Couple times.

#7096 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6205 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Incidentally, this thread over on the GOG forums has been tracking all the flash sales thus far. So if you want to see if a game has been featured as a flash, or simply want to check to see if something has repeated while you were away from the computer, that's probably the best place to go.

EDIT : Here's another helpful resource. Somebody put together a Google docs for the flash sale. Strangely enough though, there are a few games that are listed there which haven't shown up yet. Not sure how they'd know about the games being flash deals if they haven't appeared yet. So I guess you gotta take those entries with a grain of salt.

Probably a good time to post this again since it's been a week.

Also, one of the users over on GOG (named Pidgeot) made a tracking scrip to track the deals. The most recent deals are at the very bottom. You can do a Ctrl+F search to find the game you're looking for.

#7097 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6205 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

GOG Summer Sale Day 11

60% or 80% off Wing Commander Series (Full bundle cost $9.52)

Wing Commander 1+2 - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander 5: Prophecy Gold Edition - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander: Privateer - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander: Armada - $2.39 or $1.19
Wing Commander: Academy - $2.39 or $1.19
Privateer 2: The Darkening - $2.39 or $1.19

60% or 80% off Risen Saga (Full bundle cost $7.98)

Risen - $3.99 or $1.99
Risen 2: Dark Waters Gold Edition - $11.99 or $5.99

#7098 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4092 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

You know I'm an Ultima fan from way back but I really can't recommend them. They are just so seriously dated. I mean they were dated in the 90s. I'm almost embarrassed for GOG to even be selling them. The 4th one's even free and the first 3 are even more bare bones than that so I don't get why they would charge for it other than I guess because they can.

Agree with that. I only bought the entire collection some time ago because I'm a die hard fan and wanted to look at the boxes on the GOG shelf. That being said, I've never played the first trilogy and won't do it anytime soon.

#7099 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24729 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is back up at $3.

(this contains Riddick: Butcher Bay - Remastered Edition + Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena) 

Just thought I'd throw that out there, since only GOG currently has a DRM-FREE version of this.

Damn shame crap-tastic Tages DRM never got removed from Retail and Steam-versions of this game, for those who already own it elsewhere...

...like myself - got it from Retail.

#7100 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24729 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

Jade Empire: Special Edition is back in the stack to be coming up soon...

EDIT:

And, Jade's up and on sale again.

#7101 INCyr   Devotee of CAGthulhu CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Man, so tempted by Jade Empire. Don't know why I'm so hung up on having the steam version, especially since even the steam forums say buy the gog version. Just like the ease of Steam, I guess. Although with Galaxy coming out soon...

I will say, GOG is kicking the crap out of Steam this sale.

#7102 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

So far GOG has more games for me that I wanted.

Steam has lots of games but not always the sales I want. So far I've bought copies of Monaco, Battleblock Theater (1 for me 2 for friends) and....one indie game...I forgot the name. Not that much...but eh prices have been good for stuff I already own or is quite old, and for newer stuff not great prices.

P.S. I bought Jade Empire to not deal with the Steam high jinks. It's not like there is achievements or cards. If a game works better DRM free from GOG...i'll own it anyday...like I did the Commandos games (these are terrible to get running on Steam...the first one never had the correct speed on mine although I sped it down).

#7103 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4432 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Man, so tempted by Jade Empire. Don't know why I'm so hung up on having the steam version, especially since even the steam forums say buy the gog version. Just like the ease of Steam, I guess. Although with Galaxy coming out soon...

I will say, GOG is kicking the crap out of Steam this sale.

...couldn't you just add the game to your Steam library if your only hang up is having it in the client?

#7104 INCyr   Devotee of CAGthulhu CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

...couldn't you just add the game to your Steam library if your only hang up is having it in the client?

Its more the ease of installing/organizing through Steam. Chalk it up to what's probably very mild ocd. Also would explain why it "feels" like it should be a steam game, and not a GOG game.

I'm acknowledging its entirely irrational. And somewhat frustrating for me as well.

#7105 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Okay this argument has been made a bazillion times by Steam people to non-Steam people over and over, but it's more complicated than that.

I like knowing that I could go to a completely different computer or upgrade or reformat or whatever and just download all my games from one place. Not having to download this game from GOG and that one from Gamersgate and the other from Amazon and then some from Greenman, Gamestop, Gamefly and then some from Groupees, Indie Gala, Humble, GetGameGo, Shiny Loot, Fireflower, Beamdog and then some directly from some devs and 'where did I get that one from again?' etc. Then going in and adding all the shortcuts.

It's just piece of mind for me to know that (almost) everything is tied to one account on their server and I can re-access that any time, from anywhere. The shortcut is like a cheap band aid but it's not the same thing. Also Steam has been known to forget those manually added shortcuts sometimes.

I admittedly buy way, way too much shit from far too many different sources, but be that as it may, it saves my sanity to just have everything on some cloud somewhere where I can just login and fuggedaboutit.

Once in a while I make an exception if it's something I really want and I can't get it on Steam (or Desura, or I guess Uplay or Origin grumblegrumble) but I just can't make a habit out of it or I would lose track.

As for this whole Jade Empire doesn't work on Steam thing well that's funny because I got it to work for me and I don't recall having these major problems people are reporting. Even with games that I did I've pretty much always been able to find a solution or work around by spending a little time reading the Steam community forums. It's really not as bad as some people want to make out.

Meanwhile there have also been some cases of people reporting having issues getting games on GOG to run so that's not necessarily 100% either.

#7106 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

#7107 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

I like Steam for the convenience of having everything accessible in one place, but it's obvious some people prefer DRM-Free/other clients. Both are fine, game how you like, but it's a bit pointless to try and convince people to change to one view or the other. I'm not exactly sure why the argument always pops up; there's really no need for it, but I guess this is the internet and that's how things go.

#7108 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Well if it helps at all I hate activation limit DRM so much that I agree with MysterD about Riddick and bought it on a previous sale from GOG.

Once in a blue moon I will buy from there, but I need a really compelling reason to. Or a Steam key like Race for the Sun gave me for my GOG purchase. :-P

*Edited to clarify: I'm not trying to convince anyone. Buy what you want. I just always feel like I need to constantly justify wanting my games on Steam to the 'Just add a shortcut' crowd because for me it's a bit more complicated than that and I don't think they get that for some of us attaching a game to your Steam client on one computer is not the same thing as attaching it to your Steam account on their servers.

#7109 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

Personally, I only buy games from GOG if 1. They aren't on Steam, or 2. Are better versions than the ones on Steam.

As for the debate, I'm right and that's the end of that.

#7110 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

Edited to clarify: I'm not trying to convince anyone. Buy what you want. I just always feel like I need to constantly justify wanting my games on Steam to the 'Just add a shortcut' crowd because for me it's a bit more complicated than that and I don't think they get that for some of us attaching a game to your Steam client on one computer is not the same thing as attaching it to your Steam account on their servers.

One of the things I like about Steam is that you can still see all your games without having to have them downloaded. To do the add shortcut thing I'd either have to download everything or add notepad.exe in place of games I don't have downloaded, both of which seem like poor options. Also I have an addiction to posting reviews which non-Steam games don't let me do obviously, so that's often reason enough for me to want a Steam version as silly as it sounds.

And my comment wasn't directed at you personally, just the whole Steam vs DRM-Free argument in general which never seems to go anywhere yet is constantly brought up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GOG, Good Old Games, Retro, Old Games, DOS, DRM-free, DRM free, pedobear approved