Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

It sounds like its going to be a solid game throughout, but the cartoon-ness just.....eh.....looks so juvenile, even for how nice it looks. I have faith in Level 5 abilities, and I did really enjoy DQVIII, but I would have preferred a different look

I think Level 5 excels at making cell shaded games look great. Plus they are working with the famous animation group Studio Ghibli. Gameplay vids of the game look amazing.

There's going to be a "Wizard's Edition" for Europe, I really hope they do something similar for North America. Spoiler is a picture.

jbJninokuni62ew3.jpg

300 page book that likely costs $10 max, plushie ($5-10?), and DLC that's probably already on the disc...all for an extra $40? Pass.

[quote name='6er']It sounds like its going to be a solid game throughout, but the cartoon-ness just.....eh.....looks so juvenile, even for how nice it looks. I have faith in Level 5 abilities, and I did really enjoy DQVIII, but I would have preferred a different look[/QUOTE]

Only kids care about things looking too kiddy.

[quote name='YBX87']how is the game anyway? didn't the japanese version came out already? any reviews?[/QUOTE]

Ni no Kuni (8/9/10/9, 36 points): Although a bit overshadowed by all the blockbuster Western games coming out, Level-5's PS3 RPG still earned high marks. "The graphics really make you feel like you're exploring an anime world," Famitsu said. "Combined with the impressive music, the atmosphere is perfect. The map's easy to read, too, and it's a snap to see what you're supposed to be doing next. Everything's well-made here, and anyone can enjoy it."

Another reviewer wasn't quite so impressed: "The fact that the Magic Master book is now in-game is something that could divide opinion, I think. It's a well-made, orthodox sort of RPG, but there's no denying that there's little in the way of new ideas here, either."

Link: http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-kuni-modern

The PlayStation 3 version of Ni no Kuni scored 36 out of 40 from Famitsu.[27] The magazines PSM3 and Computer and Video Games gave the Japanese version of the game a 91% score,[28] as well as the Best RPG award of E3 2012.[29] In contrast to the DS version, its initial shipment was around 164,000, and in the first week an estimated 65,000 to 67,000 copies were sold

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni_no_Kuni#Reception

Sales charts for JPN 167,000 in total: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45870/ninokuni-shiroki-seihai-no-joou/Japan/

The handheld version seriously outsold the PS3 version, other than the obvious (since most JPN players play handhelds) that makes little sense to me.

Looking forward to it, as they say don't expect more than what you see and you should enjoy it just fine.

I'm interested in the LE, but I have to order from Scamco's site and pay shipping? fuck that, I'll just get the regular version. I don't even know if this game is any good. I've heard mixed things. It's Level 5, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a fuck up in some way.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm interested in the LE, but I have to order from Scamco's site and pay shipping? fuck that, I'll just get the regular version. I don't even know if this game is any good. I've heard mixed things. It's Level 5, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a fuck up in some way.[/QUOTE]

I know that Famitsu isn't the paragon of what it once was, but I believe that they did manage to pull off a good game. Everything I've seen of it impresses me, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until I see a reason to doubt it's quality.

As I mentioned before just know what your getting before you get into it, it's going to be a anime looking, pokemon inspired, old school JRPG, if you go into it with that mind set I think you (or anyone will be pleased), it's not for lack of quality or talent I would say.

Heck, I bought Blue Dragon a few months ago, and even though it is 100% old school, I enjoyed it a lot more because of that fact, more so than I did "playing" FF13 or FF13-2 (more like watching)

And I do agree with Vinny, the sales aren't going to be massive, sadly JRPGs don't move massive numbers these days, plus its a new IP, if it was DQ it would have sold 500k easily, also it was on PS3 instead of PSP/DS, so that's another slight against it, also the DS version came with the wizard's book that you needed to reference to pull off spells and such with the touch pad (if I remember right).

As long as they market it right, I think it'll do just fine here as long as they don't go gonzo expecting half a million in sales each in Europe and the US.

Some initial impressions...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/18/exploring-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witchs-big-wide-world/

"I was able to play 20 minutes of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch in English and by the end of the session I was convinced a Namco Bandai rep was going to have to rip the controller from my hands."
Haha...

This isn't the video I'm looking for but this guy goes over everything with the game...spoilers of course....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thD5WdE2tHc

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm interested in the LE, but I have to order from Scamco's site and pay shipping? fuck that, I'll just get the regular version. I don't even know if this game is any good. I've heard mixed things. It's Level 5, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a fuck up in some way.[/QUOTE]

agreed. practically be paying double for the book and some other shit. im hoping it will go to other retailers, but im not gonna get my hopes up.

[quote name='SynGamer']Really looking forward to the demo. Can't help but feel that this would have been perfect on the PS Vita.[/QUOTE]

This! I just found this thread and kept hoping the next post would talk about the Vita version. I seriously thought about buying a DS for this game because I love Ghibli so much. I would have loved it on Vita but I'm still glad it's coming to PS3.

[quote name='Qontrol']This! I just found this thread and kept hoping the next post would talk about the Vita version. I seriously thought about buying a DS for this game because I love Ghibli so much. I would have loved it on Vita but I'm still glad it's coming to PS3.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it on PS3, not so much on 3DS. I just feel the visuals for this game (being as amazing as they are) would have been a real treat to see on the Vita...and since it's an RPG, having cloud saving would have been nice.

Graphics look fantastic, but I'm not really feeling the battle system. Feels really slow and uninteresting. Might be because it's a demo, but it's lowered my interest in the game.

I'm sure there are people who would like the battle system though.

[quote name='coolz481']I don't know if it's possible to create a good demo for an RPG. Graphics are nice on this one though.[/QUOTE]

Lunar 1 and 2, Dragon Quest 8, FF8 had great demos. I know there are other JRPGs that had good demos that I am forgetting at the moment.

After playing the demo, I am completely convinced that no one would give a single fuck about this game if the Ghibli name weren't attached. I'll probably still get it since I have it preordered for $50 at Newegg, so I can always sell it at or near cost if it sucks.

The demo I felt did not leave a great impression because it basically threw you into the game without any real sort of tutorial. Once I got a little hang of it it got better. Still sure the game will be great but the demo was not.

I fully expect RPG demos to be crap at this point and especially JRPG demos.

Most devs tend to either do some vertical slice from some trade show or just toss you headfirst into the slow-ass opening sequence and neither is kind to a genre known for taking ~10 hours of game-time to warm-up to.

well, remember this was not hot in japan. I fully expect it to be mediocre and not get great impressions and final reviews.

I haven't gotten a chance to play my PS3 in ages so I had to update it, then get the new store (which is nicer, but still slow) and then do the daunting 2.6GB download/install.

I just played forest half of the demo (there are two small story parts you can play) and I gotta say, it was damn awesome! The graphics look amazing, and the music and voice work were excellent.

The introduction to the combat system is where the demo sort of drops the ball. You're thrown into a boss battle without any instructions about combat and how to use the familiar. Granted, you will figure it out but I stood there for a good 2-3 minutes without realizing that this isn't a standard based combat system, it's an action combat system. They tell you some things, but they should've have told you about the HP/MP restoration things and how to use familiars.

After that, the combat was gravy and pretty fun since moving around actually does impact how battles go (i.e., you can avoid attacks and keep enemies away from Drippy so he can throw out those HP/MP restoration things).

So far, I'd say my expectations have been meet, if not exceeded in some aspects. I know that the Japanese receptions to this game haven't been good but tastes there vary greatly. I mean, take a look at how Famitsu scored The Last Story (a 38/40) versus Xenoblade (36/40) and compare that with your own opinion if you've played those two games. To me, Xenoblade is a masterpiece, while TLS is just good. I get that that's only one source, but it's all about differences in taste.

I personally think Famitsu is a joke these days (given some of the games they've handed out their "coveted" perfect 40s to in the past decade), but this game got a 36 from Famitsu so it's not a bad score. Then again, there was a notable spread in individual scores with an 8, two 9s, and a 10.

Hopefully I'll get to play the second half of the demo tonight.

The 25 minute limit screwed me on the first half. I paused the game to use the bathroom and smoke a square, lost half my time. Finished the second portion though.

Demo definitely cemented the fact I am going to make a rare day one purchase

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Behind the scenes #1

I'm so ready for another Level-5 console JRPG.[/QUOTE]

This. Level 5 has me just as excited as the ghibli name

[quote name='vic_x51']Demo was great, everything felt polished and fun. I hope it has a long story .[/QUOTE]

Level 5 games always have long stories because they pad them out with really stupid inane shit.

I got through the Volcano part today and that part was just as fun. In this part, you have another ally with you, which brought up a new issue (there's a notable gap when you try to switch from one character to another) and another question (how do you get the non-controlled character to defend?). This battle was a lot more hectic and fun.

Can't wait for this come out... hopefully, the final product is good.:D

[quote name='shadowkast']This. Level 5 has me just as excited as the ghibli name[/QUOTE]

Level 5 has done what to excite you exactly?

They have done Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and Layton. Everything else is just mediocre.

Dragon Quest is a give me. It's Dragon Quest.

Which leaves Layton as their 1 successful franchise/game. They then milked it.

Ni No has only gotten a luke warm response in Japan. It will be much less here. Xenoblade got great reviews and was on the biggest selling highest penetrating console this generation, yet got a luke warm consumer response. Expect even less for this game.

I remember a similar hype surrounding White Knight.

[quote name='b3b0p']Level 5 has done what to excite you exactly?

They have done Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and Layton. Everything else is just mediocre.

Dragon Quest is a give me. It's Dragon Quest.

Which leaves Layton as their 1 successful franchise/game. They then milked it.

Ni No has only gotten a luke warm response in Japan. It will be much less here. Xenoblade got great reviews and was on the biggest selling highest penetrating console this generation, yet got a luke warm consumer response. Expect even less for this game.

I remember a similar hype surrounding White Knight.[/QUOTE]

And DQ was done with the supervision and work of SE. Same with Layton, Nintendo made sure they didn't fuck it up. When left to their own devices, basically anything not DQ or Layton, it's shit.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Level 5 games always have long stories because they pad them out with really stupid inane shit.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that it's a game from Japan then? ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']And DQ was done with the supervision and work of SE. Same with Layton, Nintendo made sure they didn't fuck it up. When left to their own devices, basically anything not DQ or Layton, it's shit.[/QUOTE]

Well, I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. But you're right for the most part.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
After playing the demo, I am completely convinced that no one would give a single fuck about this game if the Ghibli name weren't attached. [/QUOTE]

Sums it up for me.

And what a heinous battle theme. BA Nah nah nah nahhhh.....BA Nah nah nah nahhhh

[quote name='coolz481']Well, I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. But you're right for the most part.[/QUOTE]

DC2 had one of the most annoying and awful stories ever. Guy couldn't get over his mommy and every other thing he said was about how he was going on an adventure!

[quote name='panzerfaust']Sums it up for me.

And what a heinous battle theme. BA Nah nah nah nahhhh.....BA Nah nah nah nahhhh[/QUOTE]

I hate playing demos because I have real games to play but you guys are going to make me play this thing and consider canceling my $80 CE from Amazon UK aren't you?

I played the demo last night after the previous post. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It's a traditional JRPG and almost everything they showed was the battle stuff. I do think there were too many encounters though.

[quote name='Blaster man']I played the demo last night after the previous post. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It's a traditional JRPG and almost everything they showed was the battle stuff. I do think there were too many encounters though.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what people are complaining about either. Really, we only got a taste of the battle system and little else. Personally, I thought the battle system was solid, the look over all pretty good, and I still want the game.

bread's done
Back