Man plays Civ...for 10 years.

Number83

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Funny story on CNN about a guy who played Civilization II for 10 years. Pretty interesting about how his world has fared and comments from Sid Meier.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

From part of the article:

"Civilization II" was released in 1996. But when the third version of the game was released in 2001, Lycerius said, he was already deep into his current game and wanted to see how far he could go.
He doesn't play every day but returns to what he called a "hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation" when he has some free time.
Now in the year 3991, his world is down to three super-nations, each competing for dwindling resources, and a planet left scarred by multiple nuclear wars. His Celts are locked in a 1,700-year war with the Vikings and the Americans. All other nations have been destroyed or absorbed.
"Peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons," Lycerius wrote on Reddit. "Even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum."

That is absolutely insane. Nice to see that they actually got Sid Meier to comment on the amount of playtime this guy has into the game. I wish I had that kind of dedication towards a video game.

Dude deserves some sort of nod in the Civilization universe. That's dedication, holmes.

Anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject-- can civilization end? Would it be common for a game to end because the planet is wiped out with nukes? I'm really curious if he's accomplished something special by simple endurance or if he's played the game skillfully.

I know it's a watered down version, but this inspired me to boot up Civilization Revolution, not a bad way to spend a few free hours last night.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject-- can civilization end? Would it be common for a game to end because the planet is wiped out with nukes? I'm really curious if he's accomplished something special by simple endurance or if he's played the game skillfully.[/QUOTE]

I have played ever Civilization PC game since Civ 1... There is a certain year that the game will end (I want to say 2100) and calculate score, but the game gives you the option to continue. The other ways to win the game (or lose the game) are if you as the human defeat all other computer controlled civilizations (or are defeated by one of them). You can also win (or lose the game) if you (or another civ) send a spaceship to Alpha Centauri.

There are many other ways to win in more recent versions of the game but I can't remember if there are other ways in Civ 2.

I usually don't play past the time limit if I haven't won by that point. I'm surprised no one has launched their spaceship to Alpha Centauri if they have the resources to build nukes, you would think they could build the spaceship. But maybe he has chosen to play through that ending. Also, with the world full of swamps I'm surprised he has the resources to even build nukes or tanks... swamps don't provide resources as far as I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
This story has me pretty interested in Civ now. Where is a good starting point for the series? All I know is that the console game, Revolution, is like a 'Civ Lite'.

I have Civilization IV. I might have to start playing that again. Might even pick up the complete set or just pick up 5.

EDIT: With the price of 5 I don't think I will be picking it up. I'm good with IV.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first experience was playing the first and attacking another Settler with my own. Quickest game over possible.

[quote name='Yamato']This story has me pretty interested in Civ now. Where is a good starting point for the series? All I know is that the console game, Revolution, is like a 'Civ Lite'.[/QUOTE]

I would say Civ 4 with the Beyond the Sword expansion... earlier versions would be tough to find and may not run on current PCs.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I would say Civ 4 with the Beyond the Sword expansion... earlier versions would be tough to find and may not run on current PCs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

civ 2 works on current pcs. my favorite since it's simpler than the others.

(reading the guy's log sounds like he doesn't know how to really play. communism is crap and offers no advantage over democracy/fundamentalism depending on your current goals.)

[quote name='kainzero']civ 2 works on current pcs. my favorite since it's simpler than the others.

(reading the guy's log sounds like he doesn't know how to really play. communism is crap and offers no advantage over democracy/fundamentalism depending on your current goals.)[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is a commie and likes it that way.

bread's done
Back