Jump to content

- - - - -

Moving to a new state

#1 burz88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   211 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hey guys, looking for some advice. Im moving from Ohio to North Carolina next May after graduating college. My friend wants to come too, but he's still in college and would be a junior next year at the time. He wants to transfer schools to UNC, but doesnt want to pay out of state tuition.

According to the internet, to become a resident of NC he would need 12 months of residing there with proof. I have a friend near Raleigh right now. Is it possible to have my Ohio friend get his name on a utility or phone bill at my NC friend's address now and in twelve months be eligible for residency there?

Any flaws you can point out or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 DarkMinerva   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  


Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Normally establishing in-state residence for a school is very difficult. Most states design it to be nearly impossible for you to establish residence there if you are still going to school. Just a bill with his name on it won’t cut it. They’re going to want tax records and housing information as well, which will be hard to get. The fact that he will have to transfer from another school, will pretty much grantee that he won’t be able to convince them that he has been living in North Carolina for a year.

Also if your friend is still considered a dependent student he will have residency in whatever state his parents are living in, no matter what he does.

#3 JJSP   Not Broke, Just Bent CAGiversary!   10011 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Check with the school - when I moved from OH to CA, my school wanted four out of nine things established to get residency (bank account, drivers license, mailing address, pay stub) before I'd get in-state tuition. I took six months off from school while I got that set up after moving and reapplied.

#4 koalak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

maybe have your friend go there get Drivers licesnse and open bank account (using your address) as soon as possible then he could use that as proof
GameShampoo username: lokik
Rift: lvl 14 Rogue (Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur)
WoW: lvl 57 Hunter (Beast Master)

#5 burz88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   211 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

After looking around online a bit and seeing other people ask this same question on other forums, it seems it would be near impossible for him to gain in-state status at an NC school. Mostly since he would be under 21 and his parents live in Ohio. It also seems quite a hefty task to dupe the system into making him eligible for in-state tuition.

The in-state tuition rate at UNC is about $7,000 and the out-of-state rate is $26,800, quite a difference. I guess he would be better off attending school in Ohio.

#6 silentevil   Most evil man ever!! CAGiversary!   580 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  


Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

They'll require more than just a bill in your friends name. I moved to Fl for school I had to show a drivers license, my lease, car registration, and a few bills. It was a huge pain but I'd rather save the money on tuition. It won't matter if his parents are living out of state. If he can prove he does not live with them and pays his own bills he can claim he is independent. I wouldn't move if I was him. He'll end up losing credits trying to transfer and will have to wait an extra year to finish school.
Posted ImagePosted Image