* * * * - 11 votes

Groupees: [NEW] Build a Greenlight Bundle 33 + Oktoberfest + MiniBundle 7

Music Bundle Game Indie Backlog Groupees Steam Desura DRM Free

#6991 GauRocks  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

It i totally reasonable.  See the thing is copyright law doesn't have exceptions in the fair use doctrine for betas or alphas or anything like that.  They don't say that a dev can get around fair use by calling their game a beta.  It's actually a good representation of how much control devs have over their copyrighted work.  If they made every purchaser agree to a similar agreement they could and throwing out terms like fair use or parody wouldn't invalidate the terms you as an end user agreed to.  Its just people conveniently choose to play dumb or make exceptions to what they find morally reprehensible when it suits them.

Until the game is released, it's not legally considered media for fair use laws.  It's under trade secrets laws.  If you work for a company and you leak unauthorized information about the game that hurts sales, you are fired and you are getting sued for as much as they can take from you.  By applying for a closed beta, you are agreeing to be an unpaid tester on their unfinished product.  If you leak unauthorized information, they will do the exact same thing - boot you out and sue you.

Authorizing any information release at all is extremely risky when Marketing hasn't had a chance to put their positive spin on it.  The fact that they're allowing any kind of video is very generous to the testers, not some draconian move that means they should be condemned.  Unreleased software is absolutely subject to different laws than released software, and to say otherwise is either being misinformed about the law or deliberately obtuse.

#6992 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:33 AM

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

CAG and chill to my favourite track ... The Strangest Dream  9timh3.jpg

#6993 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4628 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

photo-thumb-338480.jpg?_r=1395288626

spoderman And tebow like this

midnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#6994 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

Guys, can't we stop arguing and just enjoy posting stupid gifs again?
tumblr_mq0s2sWYy01su5xpxo1_500.gif

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#6995 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8203 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

Guys, can't we stop arguing and just enjoy posting stupid gifs again?
tumblr_mq0s2sWYy01su5xpxo1_500.gif

It's hard to be mad when my inner pervert is enjoying that gif so much. I <3 you Mr. Professor Ninja Squirrel Layton, you always know what to do.

CAG'S OFFICIAL COCKROACH EXTERMINATOR

Official Hammerwatch Dispenser - $1 PayPal each

#6996 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

Until the game is released, it's not legally considered media for fair use laws.  It's under trade secrets laws.  If you work for a company and you leak unauthorized information about the game that hurts sales, you are fired and you are getting sued for as much as they can take from you.  By applying for a closed beta, you are agreeing to be an unpaid tester on their unfinished product.  If you leak unauthorized information, they will do the exact same thing - boot you out and sue you.

Authorizing any information release at all is extremely risky when Marketing hasn't had a chance to put their positive spin on it.  The fact that they're allowing any kind of video is very generous to the testers, not some draconian move that means they should be condemned.  Unreleased software is absolutely subject to different laws than released software, and to say otherwise is either being misinformed about the law or deliberately obtuse.

You actually have no clue what you're talking about.  Copyright and trade secret are two completely different things.  But anyways, not really important. Let's move on and argue about some other things no one cares about.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#6997 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10305 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:35 AM

I <3 you Mr. Professor Ninja Squirrel Layton, you always know what to do.

The fact that you have called MNS by this and derivations of this title on multiple occasions kind of creeps me out.

Not sure why.  Just does.

Weird.

Sleed neep.

#6998 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

The fact that you have called MNS by this and derivations of this title on multiple occasions kind of creeps me out.

Weird.

You know who also called me by weird nicknames? Tebow.

Heads up Bobby, your days are numbered.

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#6999 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8203 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:50 AM

Weird.

Pfft' Homophobe. :bouncy:

You know who also called me by weird nicknames? Tebow.

Heads up Bobby, your days are numbered.

Is it already time for me to reveal who I actually am?

spansky spansky litul squirral

#7000 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

Weird.

I stick to dumbass.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#7001 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

I've got nothing against gay people, but let's just stay friends.

tumblr_lpgo8l1ICh1qmgw6lo1_500.gif

I stick to dumbass.

Only because it's all you can get.

#7002 CarnivalMadness   silent but deadly CAGiversary!   600 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

CarnivalMadness

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

Is it time for me to reveal who I actually am already?

llol mns merged nuts he ben baaad boy time fr trip to spank duungoen for more spaankng party wit AJ nd kelly kelly  j/k hheh heeeh

ftfy

(man, i think every day goes by, tebow impressions get weaker and weaker)

#7003 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8182 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

Is it time for me to reveal who I actually am already?

spansky spansky litul squirral

u bettar wahtc it mns fud nuts he hit u he fud nuts then neuro meetballs get spanskd by aj lee hehehehehe

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7004 GauRocks  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

You actually have no clue what you're talking about.  Copyright and trade secret are two completely different things.  But anyways, not really important. Let's move on and argue about some other things no one cares about.  

Yes, they are two different things.  And a work is legally protected by copyright when it is registered with the copyright office.  Any changes to the work after that point require a new submission with a new filing fee.  Given that betas are revised and updated regularly, you can see how that might discourage copyrighting a beta.  Some companies probably do it, especially in the rare cases where some forms of disclosure are allowed.  But it's significantly cheaper and easier to rely on your beta software being "information which is not generally known or reasonably ascertainable, by which a business can obtain an economic advantage" and using those legal protections instead.

Just wanted to establish that I do indeed have a clue what I'm talking about.

#7005 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8203 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

I've got nothing against gay people, but let's just stay friends.

tumblr_lpgo8l1ICh1qmgw6lo1_500.gif

Well, good thing I didn't gift you that game for your love then! Hmph.

(Also, even though I'm straight, I'm a tad heartbroken. Pre-emptive rejection is the worst kind of rejection. Who am I going to pretend to flirt with to make Neuro uncomfortable now? ;_; )

For Neuro only, Banned Reading for Squirrels -

Spoiler

ftfy

(man, i think every day goes by, tebow impressions get weaker and weaker)

To be fair, all accounts of Tebow I have are second-hand. Blame Fox's impression!

#7006 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

Yes, they are two different things.  And a work is legally protected by copyright when it is registered with the copyright office.  Any changes to the work after that point require a new submission with a new filing fee.  Given that betas are revised and updated regularly, you can see how that might discourage copyrighting a beta.  Some companies probably do it, especially in the rare cases where some forms of disclosure are allowed.  But it's significantly cheaper and easier to rely on your beta software being "information which is not generally known or reasonably ascertainable, by which a business can obtain an economic advantage" and using those legal protections instead.

Just wanted to establish that I do indeed have a clue what I'm talking about.

You actually still don't have any clue what you're talking about.

1.  Copyright vests the second a work is created.  Even if you make a drawing in your mom's basement and no one ever sees it.  Registering it with the copyright is technically a formality, but helps establish date of creation and puts the world on notice.

2.  You're talking about the coding of the video game which is separate from what the Battleblock devs are talking about. Whether they registered the coding of the game with the copyright office has nothing to do with the copyright protection of the art in the game.  What would be shown in any screenshots, videos, etc.  are not code, they are art which is separate and already under copyright protection.  The art assets of a game are what gives devs rights to take down videos on youtube, not the copyright of the code.  Two completely separate things.

I think this thread has been sullied enough by pointless arguments and misinformation.   If you want to learn more about intellectual property law, feel free to PM me.  

#7007 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8182 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

(Also, even though I'm straight, I'm a tad heartbroken. Pre-emptive rejection is the worst kind of rejection. Who am I going to pretend to flirt with to make Neuro uncomfortable now? ;_; )

If you flirt with people for real it makes people a lot more uncomfortable than doing it for pretend.

Start hitting on one of the 1 or 2 girls who frequent this site, it'll make everybody feel awkward

Edit: This new copyright argument is almost as exciting as the glitches argument

Please don't stop, my eyes are glued to my laptop now

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7008 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

If you flirt with people for real it makes people a lot more uncomfortable than doing it for pretend.

Start hitting on one of the 1 or 2 girls who frequent this site, it'll make everybody feel awkward

Edit: This new copyright argument is almost as exciting as the glitches argument

Well technically dictionary.com defines argument as bla bla bla.  So you're not using the term correctly.  

#7009 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8182 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Well technically dictionary.com defines argument as bla bla bla.  So you're not using the term correctly.  

only nerds read dictionaries

dumbass

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7010 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8203 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:23 AM

Pfft' Ashes wishes I would flirt with her for real.

Also,

Spoiler

#7011 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

dumbass

But I don't read it, I just consult it and wiki after I start an internet argument to try to prove a point when I actually have no clue what I'm talking about.  I also read something about it once on Kotaku

#7012 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10305 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

dumbass

I just look at the pictures.
Sleed neep.

#7013 GauRocks  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

I think this thread has been sullied enough by pointless arguments and misinformation.   If you want to learn more about intellectual property law, feel free to PM me.  

I would be glad to stop the second you stop claiming that I don't know what I'm talking about.  But I do know what I'm talking about.  True, copyright exists from creation.  But it cannot be legally enforced without registration.  In order to take any kind of legal action, be it for the code, the art assets, or anything else, the copyright needs to be registered.  Meanwhile, the definition of a trade secret is so broad as to include any information that is not generally available and can have an economic value attached to it.  Given that they're selling the game, pretty much everything relating to the game is pretty easy to argue as a trade secret until they make it public.  A non-disclosure agreement literally exists to establish that yes, the content you are being given is still legally considered a trade secret that you agree not to disclose. Here's Wikipedia discussing the Uniform Trade Secrets Act.  Take a good look at the definitions of "trade secret" and "improper means."

Do you need more links, do you want to start arguing that anyone can edit Wikipedia and make me dig up the same text on another website, or will you just agree to stop implying that I'm an idiot?

#7014 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:38 AM

Come on guys, I thought we agreed to stop this nonsense and stick to gifs?
n4ff243f57d82a_large.gif

#7015 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8182 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

let's change the subject to something everybody loves discussing, and doesn't get talked about nearly enough: DRM 

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7016 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

let's change the subject to something everybody loves discussing, and doesn't get talked about nearly enough: DRM

picgifs-stfu-shut-up-890283.gif

#7017 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8203 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

let's change the subject to something everybody loves discussing, and doesn't get talked about nearly enough: Squirrel's overuse of meme gifs

FTFY. :)

#7018 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8182 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

FTFY. :)

i hate talking about gifs. i love drm.

correction rejected

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7019 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10305 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

Anime-Cat-GIF.gif

Sleed neep.

#7020 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

I would be glad to stop the second you stop claiming that I don't know what I'm talking about.  But I do know what I'm talking about.  True, copyright exists from creation.  But it cannot be legally enforced without registration.  In order to take any kind of legal action, be it for the code, the art assets, or anything else, the copyright needs to be registered.  Meanwhile, the definition of a trade secret is so broad as to include any information that is not generally available and can have an economic value attached to it.  Given that they're selling the game, pretty much everything relating to the game is pretty easy to argue as a trade secret until they make it public.  A non-disclosure agreement literally exists to establish that yes, the content you are being given is still legally considered a trade secret that you agree not to disclose. Here's Wikipedia discussing the Uniform Trade Secrets Act.  Take a good look at the definitions of "trade secret" and "improper means."

Do you need more links, do you want to start arguing that anyone can edit Wikipedia and make me dig up the same text on another website, or will you just agree to stop implying that I'm an idiot?

I never called you an idiot.  I just said you have no clue what you're talking about, and you still don't.  I saw a guy like you on Judge Judy the other day try to convince her he could practice law without a law license by quoting a statute out of context.  He lost.  Anyways, I already made the earnest offer to teach you something if you want to take this to PM. 

Otherwise, if you insist on responding I will have no choice but to have your twitter and youtube accounts taken down dear.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Music, Bundle, Game, Indie, Backlog, Groupees, Steam, Desura, DRM Free