Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Playstation 2) $19.40 @ Amazon

Buy this, play it, beat it, wait for the PS vita version to come out and repeat the process yes its that good. (well maybe not enough to fork over 250 bucks for a vita)

If it wasn't for the PS Vita version coming out in a few months (which I should mention also has the soundtrack include, but it's in-game, though also includes videos from the PS2 version, live concerts, & some other bonuses), I'd totally get this. For those who don't think they'll be getting a Vita soon, I'd recommend getting this.

Played the PS2 version for 80+ hours. Will be getting the Vita when the Golden comes out. Great game.

Are there any differences between these the 2 versions? I have the ps2 version but haven't played it yet and was planning on waiting for the vita version.

[quote name='saiyajinsc']Are there any differences between these the 2 versions? I have the ps2 version but haven't played it yet and was planning on waiting for the vita version.[/QUOTE]

The vita version has added scenes, social links, etc. I'd wait for that version if you have a vita or plan to get one.

Old. I paid $30 for a brand new P4 on eBay about a year ago. I still haven't gotten around to playing it though. Man, why the hell don't they have Devil Summoner for $20? I have almost all the SMT games, but Raidou Kuzonoha vs Soulless Army is so damn expensive. $35+ for a used copy?

[quote name='spatenfloot']The vita version has added scenes, social links, etc. I'd wait for that version if you have a vita or plan to get one.[/QUOTE]Yeah, plus the graphics have been approved, Trophies, those bonus videos & soundtrack that I mentioned, new music, more personas & Ultimate personas (not to mention the ability to choose which skills a persona has when fusing new ones), new areas to visit, tag team attacks & attacking while on electric bikes, new events, more voice acting, & the fact costumes & weapons change your appearance based on what you equip (like in P3 FES & Portable).

Like I said, if you have a Vita, I would highly suggest waiting for this version to come out on Oct. 23rd. But if you don't have one/plan on getting one, the PS2 version is still a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt, as many have mentioned, this is the killer app for the Vita, in my opinion. I stopped playing P4 because I wanted to wait it out until Golden comes out to play through the complete experience :D

I too am holding out for the Vita version. After Gravity Rush it's the next big Vita release I'm looking out for. I've heard its not as long as Persona 3 Portable. I'm like 77 hours into that game and I don't think the end is on sight.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I too am holding out for the Vita version. After Gravity Rush it's the next big Vita release I'm looking out for. I've heard its not as long as Persona 3 Portable. I'm like 77 hours into that game and I don't think the end is on sight.[/QUOTE]

lmao I know that feel bro, I think I finished the game at ~120 hrs and I didn't even beat Margaret or more than two of the trials :x Actually, I may go back and work on that...

Thanks OP. Will
sig.jpg
get it for vita after

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Buuhan1']Holding out for the likely to happen PS3 release.[/QUOTE]
Seems like Sony wouldn't want this on PS3, it's a killer app for Vita.

I still haven't opened my order on April 21st for the $19.99 MSRP...nor have I actually opened the other SMT games I bought from Amazon. And my ex's brothers still have my limited edition copy of Persona 3. I don't know if it's meant to be, fellas, with me and this series. :( Still an excellent price.

If only it was P3. I have all the LE stuff but no disc. I bought it at the BX in Korea and someone borrowed the disc from me. Ended up keeping it and I never got it back. This was in '07.
I just bought P3 on Glyde for $8 after using a $5 coupon. I ended up getting P3FES. I'm sending it back soon. I need FES and 4 eventually but not before getting 3 and finally being able to play it for more than an hour.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Any links or sources for this?[/QUOTE]

I said "likely to happen." Atlus spent the time and money to visually update this to HD for the Vita, I highly suspect somewhere down the line for them to port it to PS3. It could be awhile, but I honestly see it happening.

original p3 is on the fes disc.nu can choose which one u wanna play

[quote name='EYEL1NER']If only it was P3. I have all the LE stuff but no disc. I bought it at the BX in Korea and someone borrowed the disc from me. Ended up keeping it and I never got it back. This was in '07.
I just bought P3 on Glyde for $8 after using a $5 coupon. I ended up getting P3FES. I'm sending it back soon. I need FES and 4 eventually but not before getting 3 and finally being able to play it for more than an hour.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']original p3 is on the fes disc.nu can choose which one u wanna play[/QUOTE]

No way! Really? I might not be sending it in then.

[quote name='technicalstylez']yeah they're both on there dude.[/QUOTE]

No they are not. You can play the Journey (main game mode) in FES but it is not the same as the Journy in Persona 3. But having said that you only need FES since it made many update the gameplay.

[quote name='62t']No they are not. You can play the Journey (main game mode) in FES but it is not the same as the Journy in Persona 3. But having said that you only need FES since it made many update the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay.
Well I'll probably start the game anyway, but I still want to get P3. That box, soundtrack, art book, and empty case sitting on my shelf piss me off quite a bit. Need a disc to pop into it.

[quote name='Zonic505']Yeah, plus the graphics have been approved[/QUOTE]
Why would anyone "approve" of this?

hyuoi.jpg

Vita's background look ugly as hell, in what way is this an improvement? Is the Vita not as powerful as everyone though? Disgusting.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Why would anyone "approve" of this?

hyuoi.jpg

Vita's background look ugly as hell, in what way is this an improvement? Is the Vita not as powerful as everyone though? Disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Looks fine to me. At least they fixed the weird background, where the rice rows don't even make sense.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Vita's background look ugly as hell, in what way is this an improvement? Is the Vita not as powerful as everyone though? Disgusting.[/QUOTE]
I agree that that shot doesn't look great. The lighting seems off, there's no reason to get rid of the power lines, and it doesn't really convey the misty weather that the original does. Hopefully that's from an old, incomplete build of the game or something. I've seen a lot of other screenshots of P4G and they all look fantastic. In any case, the problems with that particular screen are down to design choices (lightning, modeling), not the Vita not being powerful enough.

I'm currently playing the downloaded version of Persona 3 FES on PSN. I love this game so much. I hope Sony release Person 4 on PSN. I want to play this game so bad. I might either have to get a PS2 and this game or just wait and get this and the Vita. I hope this will be a good holiday season.

I really doubt either of the persona games will come to ps3. The biggest reason being that persona 4 golden is the best selling ps vita game in Japan, I imagine when it comes stateside it will get a similar overwhelmingly positive reception. Sony needs all the help it can get convincing consumers to buy the vita, if there were a ps3 hd remix there would be no reason for most to buy a vita. Second reason being that Altus hasn't put out a single hd re release this generation, and haven't even discussed doing one. Considering the next gen is right around the corner, and Altus has been keeping all their re releases of the persona series on portables it's highly unlikely we will see hd releases of p3 and p4. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't let Altus put the ps2 version of persona 4 on the psn because of my first point.

Vita's background look ugly as hell, in what way is this an improvement? Is the Vita not as powerful as everyone though? Disgusting.[/QUOTE]

lolwut

You do see how clearer the sprites and portraits look right?

And whomever said it was an old screenshot is right, everything I've seen so far makes it look fine.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I said "likely to happen." Atlus spent the time and money to visually update this to HD for the Vita, I highly suspect somewhere down the line for them to port it to PS3. It could be awhile, but I honestly see it happening.[/QUOTE]
"Likely" implies you have solid reason to believe it will happen. Like it specifically being mentioned by the developer or something. P4 on the PS3 is just something you're hoping for. Heck the Vita doesn't even run at 720p, if I recall correctly. I'd say Persona 4 on the PS3 is pretty unlikely at this point.

They'd be better served investing resources in to a curent gen, new Persona game all together.

hyuoi.jpg

Do you have more than one comparison shot?

[quote name='Zonic505']There's a Japanese blog that has a bit more comparison shots. Just a fair warning, might be slightly NSFW w/ some of the ads/news on the site showing some more-than-average cleavage, though nothing 18+ & the like (just trying to make sure I don't get in trouble or anything).[/QUOTE]
Hard to deny it looks much better on the Vita. Almost too sharp and clear in those outdoor scenes!

[quote name='Ragnorok64']"Likely" implies you have solid reason to believe it will happen. Like it specifically being mentioned by the developer or something. P4 on the PS3 is just something you're hoping for. Heck the Vita doesn't even run at 720p, if I recall correctly. I'd say Persona 4 on the PS3 is pretty unlikely at this point.

They'd be better served investing resources in to a curent gen, new Persona game all together.[/QUOTE]

100% this. Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

I think the psv screenshots look considerably nicer. Anti aliasing, everything looks significantly sharper/less hazy, color saturation looks more natural/less washed out, the only downside I can see is the absence of the power lines...... Hardly a deal breaker

Yeah, one of the 1st things I noticed aside from everything looking a lot smoother was how it looked less foggy/Silent Hill-esque. I can't wait to see how it looks when I'm playing it on my Vita.

[quote name='Zonic505']Yeah, one of the 1st things I noticed aside from everything looking a lot smoother was how it looked less foggy/Silent Hill-esque. I can't wait to see how it looks when I'm playing it on my Vita.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played through p4 yet (working my way through p3p), was there a reason for everything being foggy, or was it just due to the technical limitations of the ps2? The lack of fog in the SH hd collection kept me from buying that one, because the fog covered up the complete lack of draw distance in that game, and was therefore kind of necessary. Thanks!

[quote name='jamesesdad']I haven't played through p4 yet (working my way through p3p), was there a reason for everything being foggy, or was it just due to the technical limitations of the ps2? The lack of fog in the SH hd collection kept me from buying that one, because the fog covered up the complete lack of draw distance in that game, and was therefore kind of necessary. Thanks![/QUOTE]
The fog is part of the story.

Hmmmm thats mildly troubling, but I'm sure it's probably not the deal breaker it was on the SH:HD collection.

bread's done
Back