Looking at picking up a wifi internet radio and needed some advice about RCA.

Sarang01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
First off, yes I know I can play internet radio on my computer but there's something that's physically pleasing to me about actually having something that mimics the function of a regular radio.
Now that we have that out of way I'm looking at a Grace Digital radio that is the most basic model. It has no speakers, only RCA outputs.
My question is about speakers, namely can I find speakers with RCA inputs or will I have to buy speakers with an audio receiver? Already have a Sega CD and Sirius tabletop radio that have these outputs.
Any help here on speaker options would be much appreciated.

If you want just "speakers" then you'd have to get powered speakers - some really nice ones here:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

but not cheap! Most all computer speakers are powered and can be had in a wide range of prices. You can use a rca to stereo minijack cable to connect to most computer speakers. Some may have rca connections as well but most are mini jack.

Now - what am I using - I stream internet radio (radioparadise.com) from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed in my kitchen using the following setup.

Roku Soundbridge m1000 or m1001 models (I have three around the house but mainly use the kitchen one - I also have a m500 smaller model) - this is a long out of production internet radio from Roku that has served my purpose for many, many years. I have gone through a couple power supplies but that the only problem I've had.

Sonic Impact T-amp - a class T all digital 15 watt amp that can be powered by batteries or AC. Also long out of production but I think they reproduced them later and may still be some version of it. There are various class T amps out there that are tiny, clean and efficient. More than enough power to do what I need. Here is basically what I have - just a different manufacturer - these were so in demand parts express brought them back a few years ago under their own brand. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=300-380

Athena bookshelf speakers in the kitchen. I've also run Orb Audio, Scandyna, Klipsch, Paradigm and the list goes on off of the little digital amps all with excellent results. A very efficient amp and if paired with efficient speakers like the Athenas (or the Klipsch) it can produce great results.

Ok - after having said all that - if you aren't an audio geek like me I'd just go with either an all in one internet radio unit like the mondo that can also do speaker out for later upgrade - or the non-all in one unit you mentioned and just go with some computer speakers. Unless you already have a stereo system that you want to/can use it with - in which case you may only have to get the stereo to mini-jack plug.

[quote name='bordjon']If you want just "speakers" then you'd have to get powered speakers - some really nice ones here:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

but not cheap! Most all computer speakers are powered and can be had in a wide range of prices. You can use a rca to stereo minijack cable to connect to most computer speakers. Some may have rca connections as well but most are mini jack.

Now - what am I using - I stream internet radio (radioparadise.com) from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed in my kitchen using the following setup.

Roku Soundbridge m1000 or m1001 models (I have three around the house but mainly use the kitchen one - I also have a m500 smaller model) - this is a long out of production internet radio from Roku that has served my purpose for many, many years. I have gone through a couple power supplies but that the only problem I've had.

Sonic Impact T-amp - a class T all digital 15 watt amp that can be powered by batteries or AC. Also long out of production but I think they reproduced them later and may still be some version of it. There are various class T amps out there that are tiny, clean and efficient. More than enough power to do what I need. Here is basically what I have - just a different manufacturer - these were so in demand parts express brought them back a few years ago under their own brand. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=300-380

Athena bookshelf speakers in the kitchen. I've also run Orb Audio, Scandyna, Klipsch, Paradigm and the list goes on off of the little digital amps all with excellent results. A very efficient amp and if paired with efficient speakers like the Athenas (or the Klipsch) it can produce great results.

Ok - after having said all that - if you aren't an audio geek like me I'd just go with either an all in one internet radio unit like the mondo that can also do speaker out for later upgrade - or the non-all in one unit you mentioned and just go with some computer speakers. Unless you already have a stereo system that you want to/can use it with - in which case you may only have to get the stereo to mini-jack plug.[/QUOTE]

So Orb Audio requires an amp? Also are they really as good as Orb says? If that's the case I'll have to put them on a wishlist for getting one day especially since they're made in the United States.

You said computer speakers pose no problem? Ok great. I was looking at getting an LS21 by Logitech for the time being since they're on sale locally.

The big reason I'm getting the Grace internet radio over the Roku and others is the Reciva support both this and C.Crane support. Apparently they all say over 18,000 stations support this format and I've checked it. It's got stations broadcast fully in the Japanese language, among others.
Live365 and other support as well which the Logitech's don't have.

yeah those logitechs will do fine - you'll need a stereo mini jack to rca adapter cable - bu the one Hybrid posted has female rcas and you'll need one with male rcas and a female mini-jack from what I can tell looking at the grace digital pic on amazon. Is this the model your considering? http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital...&qid=1340648411&sr=8-2&keywords=grace+digital

I just looked at Orb's website and noticed they sell a t-amp as well in their computer/ipod section (it actually appears to be just like a version 2 sonic impact t-amp which I also have one of those.) Yes as far as I know most if not all Orbs require amplification - I'm not aware of any powered Orbs that were made but it's certainly possible as I'm not real familiar with them. I picked up a very old 2.1 Orb setup with the large spherical sub unit at a yard sale for 20 bucks! Honestly - I can not recommend them for the prices they are asking. Same with Scandyna stuff honestly. If you aren't solely looking for US made speakers I'd suggest looking at older/vintage Canadian made speakers from Athena, Energy, Paradigm, Totem, PSB and the list goes on - some of these don't exist any more (think Athena and Energy were bought out by Klipsch so aren't exactly the same as they use to be.) It seems I remember Canada's NRC did public funded research on speakers and several of these great companies came out of it. In my experience they are great speakers and can be had on the secondary market for not too much compared to some US speakers like def tech, klipsch, etc.

bread's done
Back