- - - - -

RPG advice

#31 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40126 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

In contrast, for the entirety of FFXIII that I played (8 hours), I did absolutely nothing other than:
- watch cutscenes
- walk down one-path (and occasionally briefly-two-path-before-becoming-one-path-again) corridors
- press Auto to win battles
- try to fight manually, and realize that the actions I choose are always the same as the Auto actions (given that I have how many actions to choose from? I forget, one or two?), realize that manual battling requires just as little strategy/skill and only serves to waste time, and return to Auto battling from now on

No shops/armor/equipment, no sidequests, no minigames, no character customization, no strategy in battles, no exploration, no dungeons (just one long corridor per area), ...

To anyone who hasn't played the game, that's going to sound like an incredibly gross exaggeration, but I can assure you that I mean all of that 100% literally. That was my *exact* experience playing the game. Right at the end, I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system, but it wasn't enough to keep me playing for another hour at that point.

Auto battle is the point of the battle system in FFXIII, if you're trying to do it manually you're doing it wrong. It's meant to be fairly fast paced and is easily the most involving battle system in any FF I've played.

Auto battle is smart enough to pick the right attacks when you figure out what the weakness of an enemy is, so if you are using ravagers they'll keep using different attacks until they find out say...fire is the what the enemy is weak against and then the ravagers on your team will continue to use fire based attacks. It's all about setting up the right paradigms and making sure you're using the right ones at the right times.

#32 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

I was doing way more in FFIX's first 15 hours than pressing the Auto button.

- buying weapons/armor, healing items
- learning skills, deciding between trade-offs of upgrading to stronger equipment versus holding onto older equipment for another hour to learn new spells, etc.
- taking on sidequests
- playing minigames (most notably, the trading card game: Tetra Master)
- exploring the world map and dungeons

FFIX is one of the more involving games in the series (i.e., very customizable character progression [compared to most RPG's], minigames, and lots of side content), so I'm really not sure why you chose that as your example of a 15 hour X-mash-fest. Any other game in the series (except FFVIII) would have been a better example for trying to make your argument...

In contrast, for the entirety of FFXIII that I played (8 hours), I did absolutely nothing other than:
- watch cutscenes
- walk down one-path (and occasionally briefly-two-path-before-becoming-one-path-again) corridors
- press Auto to win battles
- try to fight manually, and realize that the actions I choose are always the same as the Auto actions (given that I have how many actions to choose from? I forget, one or two?), realize that manual battling requires just as little strategy/skill and only serves to waste time, and return to Auto battling from now on

No shops/armor/equipment, no sidequests, no minigames, no character customization, no strategy in battles, no exploration, no dungeons (just one long corridor per area), ...

To anyone who hasn't played the game, that's going to sound like an incredibly gross exaggeration, but I can assure you that I mean all of that 100% literally. That was my *exact* experience playing the game. Right at the end, I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system, but it wasn't enough to keep me playing for another hour at that point.

You definitely bring up a lot of valid points but at the same time you have to realize that it will take quite a while for an RPG to open up. Especially one like XIII where you can easily sink 100 hours into it. If they just dump everything on you at once you would simply be overwhelmed and have absolutely no idea how to proceed.

For me, I was relying on spamming Potions with the Doctor's Code accessory instead of using a Medic class until around the half way point if not later. Same thing goes with all the other roles. I'm assuming you're referring to the Commando role which only has 1~2 manual actions.

If you were to get to the Saboteur role (a role focused on debuffing) The Synergist role (a role focused on buffing) and the Medic (focused on healing/curing status ailments.) Then all of a sudden you have a ton of options and it's better to use manual commands (Well, this is probably most true for the Saboteur role)

As far as it being really linear, I won't argue with you there. The game does have a ton of cutscenes and you're basically going from point A to point B the majority of the time. That was greatly changed in the second game. Honestly though, I didn't have that much of a gripe with it to begin with.

Anywho, we're getting off track but I figure people could benefit from both sides of the spectrum. Some people are going to dislike it for certain reasons, which could prevent someone from even giving it a chance. While others may wonder what happens if you stick it out.

#33 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1123 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

FFXIII pros and cons as honest as I can be:

Pros
- Graphics are good
- There are a few interesting characters
- Battle system gets great
- One of the most challenging Final Fantasy games
- Very different

Cons
* Slow to start
* Horrible ending
* Storyline gets bad
* 3 of the characters are extremely annoying
* Super linear/no exploration til nearly the end

If you can get past the beginning of the game and you can play through games with meh storylines in spite of them, you'll like it.

RPG Recommendations

XBOX 360
Tales of Vesparia (characters are good, storyline is okay, gameplay is great)
Lost Odyssey (good, but hard to stick with)

PS3
Valkyria Chronicles (this game is all about the tactical SRPG gameplay)

#34 sevenfold   Yojimbo CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

I loved FF XIII and XIII-2, although they almost killed my love for XIII-2 with all the DLC nonsense. Nier and the Atelier games are also good. I really think Enchanted Arms is underrated as well. I enjoyed it a lot.

#35 doraemonkerpal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4753 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

doraemonkerpal

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Suikoden II is one of my all-time favorites, but of course it is notoriously hard to find and Konami for some reason that continues to baffle me will not put it on the PSN...

Aaahhh I love that game! I regret the day I sold it :(

#36 JasonTerminator   Not a psychopath! CAGiversary!   2588 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

JasonTerminator

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Nier is pretty awesome.

Haven't played any other PS3 JRPGs. If you get a 360 you should check out Lost Odyssey.

Good PS1 RPGs (That are on the PSN anyway): Grandia, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve 1 + 2, Chrono Chross. Chrono Trigger is good too, but I'm not sure if they fixed the PS1 loading times for the PSN release.

#37 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I wanted opinions from somewhere other than the media, as I feel they may be "growing tired" of jrpgs, and thus be biased against them.

I think I've ALWAYS been kind of biased against the jrpgs, since I can't stand any kinda RPG other than the hack & slash variety.

I absolutely loved the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games last gen, yet I have yet to actually 'complete' any of the current gen ones.

If you're looking for an interesting title that isn't exactly an RPG but definitely has a fun factor to it, I would recommend Catherine. It's one part puzzle game, one part anime and super weird, yet really, really fun to play.

Plus there's EIGHT endings to this game, if I remember correctly.

#38 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

If you're wanting a little more hack-n-slash, I enjoyed the first 30 minutes of Lord of the Rings: War in the North, playing local co-op. Saving the rest for co-op with someone else (which is the reason I got it), but it seems like I'm gonna enjoy it, and it has gotten good reviews.

#39 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Ignore what this fine fellow says ^^^^ That game was trash. It's a terrible slog to get through. The story is terribly uninteresting, and the combat wears itself out no later than half way through.

(Plus it's in the low 60s on metacritic. RPG reviews from anything but a specialty site are usually worthless, but don't get the impression that it was well received.)

#40 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hey, let's stay away from even mentioning metacritic.

#41 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

I only did because he mentioned that the game had gotten good reviews, which is clearly not the case. lol

#42 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Huh, I guess you're right about the reviews. Was thinking it got good reviews for some reason. Sorry about that. Although, to be fair, there were severe bugs at launch that prevented a lot of people from completing the game, which (understandably) probably knocked down review scores across the board. Honestly, though, I'm always desperate for couch co-op games, and that's the only reason I got it, and iirc, most sites I saw praised the co-op. I probably wouldn't be playing it if it wasn't for the couch co-op -- you can only play so many co-op FPSs before you get desperate for something else.

#43 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Indeed, co-op makes everything better! For the record, though, I played the entire game co-op and still ended up my aforementioned feelings on it. :3

#44 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

If you like the Atelier trilogy (particularly the first one), I'd also recommend Recettear. It's PC only, I believe, and not particularly difficult, but can easily suck away 15 hours before you realize it.