Star Wars: The Old Republic $19.99 @ Amazon

Sgt Barone

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The...71&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic

I played this game from January to May, then cancelled, then re-subbed 2 days ago. The server merges and the new group finder tool have helped tremendously. The communities on the 12 or so remaining populated servers are booming. If you used to play this then moved on, I strongly recommend you try this again for at least another month.

And if you haven't tried this yet, this comes with your first 30 days of playtime.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why pay $19.99 now for a dying MMO when you could just wait a while and it'll eventually be free to play...nobody's paying $15 a month for a lifeless online community.

[quote name='newtypex']Why pay $19.99 now for a dying MMO when you could just wait a while and it'll eventually be free to play...nobody's paying $15 a month for a lifeless online community.[/QUOTE]
I would assume people who bought the game would get some kind of compensation when it goes F2P right? Not really an MMO guy so I don't know.

[quote name='Umair56']I would assume people who bought the game would get some kind of compensation when it goes F2P right? Not really an MMO guy so I don't know.[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but given EA/Bioware's track record I doubt it'll be anything substantial. Just some cosmetic stuff.

I'm sure it's happening soon. The $10 expansion comes with NINETY days of playtime, and the expansion itself seems like it would cost more than $10 based on Bioware's standards of pricing on DLC.

[quote name='SIX min WHISTLE']It's possible, but given EA/Bioware's track record I doubt it'll be anything substantial. Just some cosmetic stuff.

I'm sure it's happening soon. The $10 expansion comes with NINETY days of playtime, and the expansion itself seems like it would cost more than $10 based on Bioware's standards of pricing on DLC.[/QUOTE]

F2P almost never really means the entire game goes free...they'll most likely limit character slots, inventory, which classes you can choose, things like that. It's more of a hybrid model that opens the game up to people who sometimes end up spending more than if they just subscribed monthly, while also keeping overall game activity healthy.

As far as I can tell they aren't going to charge for the first expansion, and the big update they've advertised for later this year isn't technically an expansion either way. If they do open up the hybrid model, that generally takes a lot of time to implement (I'd say 6-8 months after announcing it), so that likely wouldn't be until next year at some point.

I think that's awesome.Like some sort of epic lasagna.
sun.jpg

moon.jpg

Bought this a few weeks ago. Just my opinion but it's the most boring MMO I've ever played. Played for less than 10 days, cancelled then uninstalled.

The game's pretty good IMO, and the recent server transfers have really helped with the problem of dead servers (As long as you make sure you roll on one of the destination servers.)

For $20, I'd say it's worth seeing if the game is for you. If it goes FTP, it prolly won't happen until next year anyway, and I'd hate to see how they monetize the game with the way it's current design is.

The recent server mergers should have helped breathe life into the community. Personally I purchased on release and cancelled months ago because it didn't end up being something my friends stuck with, so take that as you will.

I do feel like eventually the game will go F2P, but that's at least 5-6 months off, and probably longer. I don't really get CAG's obsession with MMO's going F2P -- the game is usually dated and awful by the time it finally limps into the F2P market, and you end up having to spend money on getting anything decent in game anyways.

This isn't a bad deal if you feel like jumping and seeing what it's all about. It's basically a Star Wars themed WoW skin though, so if you've gotten tired of WoW mechanics you should pass.

While this is a great price, I think I will just wait for Guild Wars 2. It is 2 months away and seems to be the better MMO option right now.

[quote name='WebScud']At E3 they announced that that the game will be F2P up to level 20, didn't they?[/QUOTE]

They said up to level 15 for f2p starting in July. I assume this was part of the 1.3 update but it may be something added separately.

This game may have lost many subs in the last couple months, but I honestly believe that with the new server merges that the community has stabilized. I just re-subbed for another month to give it a try and so far, so good.

[quote name='SIX min WHISTLE']It's possible, but given EA/Bioware's track record I doubt it'll be anything substantial. Just some cosmetic stuff.

I'm sure it's happening soon. The $10 expansion comes with NINETY days of playtime, and the expansion itself seems like it would cost more than $10 based on Bioware's standards of pricing on DLC.[/QUOTE]

Hate to sound ignorant (happens more often than I'd like) but what expansion are you referencing? I might be interested in picking up the base game for $20 and a $10 expansion for 4 months of playtime.

[quote name='warreni']Hate to sound ignorant (happens more often than I'd like) but what expansion are you referencing? I might be interested in picking up the base game for $20 and a $10 expansion for 4 months of playtime.[/QUOTE]

He's referring to a leaked document that was posted on Gaming News a couple of weeks ago. They were focus testing a bunch of people, and referenced possible price points on things like new races, new areas, inclusion of game time, ect.. ect...

The thing is almost all those things ended up coming out in the 1.3 patch anyways, so even though they might be prepping for an expansion sometime in the near future there are no announced plans for it right now.

[quote name='cancerman1120']They said up to level 15 for f2p starting in July. I assume this was part of the 1.3 update but it may be something added separately.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if you'll still need to buy the "client" to upgrade (ala WoW) or you can just start subbing right away to play beyond the "restrictions" (kind of like LOTRO VIP sub). If it's the former, it would be pretty pointless to buy the box copy at this point.

I'll give it a go if it goes F2P or has a one-time buy-in cost like Guild Wars did. I gave GW a whirl because it was only $10 for the disc and no monthly charges, which works for me because I may go months in between play sessions. I didn't care for it, but it cost me little. I don't play MMOs because 99% of them are WoW-ish sword and spell things that I have no interest in. I love Star Wars, though, and I'd be all over something like this if the cost of entry was low.

[quote name='WebScud']At E3 they announced that that the game will be F2P up to level 20, didn't they?[/QUOTE]

The same kind of F2P that WoW has, which is basically an unlimited trial, yes.

where did you hear this?

[quote name='Prismatico']F2P almost never really means the entire game goes free...they'll most likely limit character slots, inventory, which classes you can choose, things like that. It's more of a hybrid model that opens the game up to people who sometimes end up spending more than if they just subscribed monthly, while also keeping overall game activity healthy.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. That hybrid model seemed to work pretty good for DC Universe Online. I kept hearing it was dead, dead, dead. I started playing a little while after it went F2P, and the community was pretty large. And the game was engaging enough that they get to pay for it for quite some time. Unfortunately, the hybrid model also means you get a bunch of cry babies who bitch and moan about not getting certain stuff as a F2P member.

bread's done
Back