Best PS3 games in terms of Story?

jedolley

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've had a PS3 for a while now, but only recently got it setup so that I could use it more. It was previously being used solely to play my son's Disney Blurays, but now it's ALL MINE!

I'm now wanting to build up my PS3 library and since it's been out awhile I have a lot of great options. I want to focus on games with a good immersive story, but should have good game play as well. I have played all the Uncharted games and so far those have been my favorite. I also just picked up Assassin's Creed 2 on my brother's recommendation and will play the rest of the series if I like it. I was hoping to get other recommendations of games with a good story and gameplay.

Thanks in advance!

Heavy Rain? It has an interesting story that can be replayed for different outcomes, but there's not much going for it in terms of gameplay.

I felt the story in heavy rain was average. The mystery is cool, but I never felt like I gave a shit about any of the characters. Not to mention no game play.

The UC series is solid, especially UC2.

I found Resistance: Fall Of Man's (R1) story to be excellent. The game get's flack as a generic shooter, which may be true, but it is a very good one. I love how the story is told through the eyes of British Intelligence, while you play as an american soldier. They only know pieces of the story, while you know all of it. I found the story excellent. I can't even remember R2. R3 had a decent story. But I was always disappointed that they never revisited the story telling mechanic used in R1.

Those are the ones that stand out for me, I am sure I'll think of more later.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I felt the story in heavy rain was average. The mystery is cool, but I never felt like I gave a shit about any of the characters. Not to mention no game play.

The UC series is solid, especially UC2.

I found Resistance: Fall Of Man's (R1) story to be excellent. The game get's flack as a generic shooter, which may be true, but it is a very good one. I love how the story is told through the eyes of British Intelligence, while you play as an american soldier. They only know pieces of the story, while you know all of it. I found the story excellent. I can't even remember R2. R3 had a decent story. But I was always disappointed that they never revisited the story telling mechanic used in R1.

Those are the ones that stand out for me, I am sure I'll think of more later.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree about the first resistance. I was expecting.that to continue in 2 and was disappointed. I think thats where insomniac went wrong with the series. IMO, it wasn't until reach that halo had a great storyline, and resistance started off with one which set it apart and then dumped it

[quote name='kulsechsky']Mass Effect 2. I'm not an RPG guy and I enjoyed it a lot.[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to play ME series for awhile now. I tried ME1 on both the PC and Xbox, but always got bored on the Citadel and I usually love Bioware games. I think not finishing ME1 has kept me from playing ME2&3. How bad would it be to skip ME1? I assume people who solely own PS3 would have no options (other than PC) to skip ME1 and start with ME2, but I think it would bother me a little.

bioshock 1,Deus Ex: Human Revolution,castlevania lord of shadows, ratchet and clank games (dont play all4one), red dead redemption

With Deus Ex coming to PS Store. I was woundering, how valuble is it gameplay/story wise? Iv read that its really great but also heard its quite bad. My opinion is that everyone have diffirent tastes, but can i have a picture of what im going to play if iv played something in that style. Sorry for my bad english, hope you guys understood what im trying to find out.

I liked Assassin's Creed 2 and I loved AC: Brotherhood. Then I went right into Revelations and was a little disappointed. Revelations isn't a bad game, by any means, but if you find yourself being a fan of the series, stop playing after you finish Brotherhood. Then wait until you really miss it and then get Revelations. I think that's the best way to do it. Or just power through all of them to get ready for AC:3 in the fall.

Infamous and Infamous 2 are fun. Infamous 2 really kicks it up a notch. Festival of Blood is fun, too, as a little bonus.

Red Dead Redemption is fantastic.

I'm a fan of the Batman Arkham games. I would say that Arkham Asylum had the better story, but Arkham City is just a blast to play.

Third vote for Red Dead Redemption - great single player story set in the old west.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought Heavy Rain. It's a very unique game that I was not very good at (QTE - you have to push the right button at the right time) and the story has holes in it but it fun mystery story. I found myself playing it in small doses. I would get a little bored and playing something else... but always going back to it because I wanted to find out what happened next.

[quote name='Donburiboy']Red Dead Redemption is fantastic.[/QUOTE]
I'll fourth RDR. It's like playing through one of the older classic Western movies. Now the Undead Nightmare expansion on the other hand, steer clear of that piece of crap as to me it was just a cash grab from Rockstar to cash in on the 'ahhhhh zombies' craze in games as of late.:roll:

valkyria chronicles is pretty nice. Definitely not for everyone. Finished MGS3 snake eater from the HD collection and that was pretty bad ass. The story might be a bit confusing but it's awesome. Loads of cut scenes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll fourth RDR. It's like playing through one of the older classic Western movies. Now the Undead Nightmare expansion on the other hand, steer clear of that piece of crap as to me it was just a cash grab from Rockstar to cash in on the 'ahhhhh zombies' craze in games as of late.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! So far I have picked up RDR, and will be getting the Batman series. I'm going to wait for the BB B2G1 deal to decide what else.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned GTA... It's a game I hear a lot about, but I have never played any of them. Is the story not any good?

[quote name='jedolley']Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! So far I have picked up RDR, and will be getting the Batman series. I'm going to wait for the BB B2G1 deal to decide what else.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned GTA... It's a game I hear a lot about, but I have never played any of them. Is the story not any good?[/QUOTE]

I think RDR is as good as it gets when it comes to narrative in video games - the story is first rate. I loved the story in GTA IV as well. I'd probably place it 3rd behind RDR and Mass Effect 2.

[quote name='jedolley']Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! So far I have picked up RDR, and will be getting the Batman series. I'm going to wait for the BB B2G1 deal to decide what else.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned GTA... It's a game I hear a lot about, but I have never played any of them. Is the story not any good?[/QUOTE]
Normally that would've been my first recommendation(GTA), but the story and gameplay in the main GTA IV game was meh at best. I still play all three games(GTA IV & Episodes From Liberty City), but ONLY for the multiplayer free roam. That, to me, is where the most fun can be had in the game.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1, never played the second one. But if you are a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy the story is really enjoyable.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Normally that would've been my first recommendation(GTA), but the story and gameplay in the main GTA IV game was meh at best. I still play all three games(GTA IV & Episodes From Liberty City), but ONLY for the multiplayer free roam. That, to me, is where the most fun can be had in the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. It seems to be a game that is widely liked, but for some reason the franchise has never interested me.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1, never played the second one. But if you are a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy the story is really enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I completely forgot about those games. I have played both Force Unleashed games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Another game I'd say to play for both the story and the experience is Catherine.[/QUOTE]

Catherine is an interesting looking game, or at least the box art is. ;) I'll check it out, thanks.

I will also recommend Mass Effect 2. I really liked ME1, but you can skip it. Compared to 2 and 3, the system is pretty dated and it isn't as fun to go back to after playing any of them. I strongly suggest that you learn the story and events that happened in ME1, though. Check out this video among others. My friend wanted to play ME3 without playing the other two, and after urging him to start at 1, he said that he couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Heavy Rain is one of my all-time favorite games. It isn't perfect, and the gameplay is basically guiding your character through scenarios by pressing button combinations that simulate a real-life movement. For example, when brushing your teeth, you'd move the SIXAXIS controller from side to side. When lifting a handful of boxes, you'd hold in square and triangle, then lift up on the right stick, etc. I enjoyed the gameplay, though, and unlike the CAG above, I enjoyed the characters. I was hooked on the story and the ending surprised me. If you've played Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit, it is sort of a spiritual successor.

I'm playing through Catherine right now, and it is a great game. The puzzles can be challenging, but they aren't frustrating to me. The story is something different, and the whole idea seems pretty unique. Definitely check out some review videos or something because the style is not for everyone.

If you haven't played Bioshock, I see someone mentioned that, and I'll recommend that as well.

I'll have to pick up RDR because it seems to be getting a lot of praise.

I didn't mind Red Dead's Undead Nightmare, but I got it as part of the GOTY edition and played it after the main game.

So I found it fun, because it was like a little bonus, rather than something standalone that I paid money for.

In the same vein, if you decide to get Arkham City, GET THE GOTY EDITION, and for the love of all that's good, don't spend money on Harley's Revenge. Fine as DLC, and fun to play as Robin, but not worth $10.

The story in the second Kane and Lynch game is nothing to write home about (although i think it is the better game). The story in the first game, however, is top notch with solid voice acting backing up a very good script. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys crime/heist films - that said, the gameplay is $hit and the game's final act is almost unbearable because of the gameplay mechanics. it really puts a dampener on the experience and it is one of the few times were tedious gameplay wins out over a well-told story.

Another game not mentioned already that i think has a great story is Alpha Protocol. Alpha Protocol takes some getting used to because the gameplay isn't the best, but if you are a fan of spy films that deal with espionage and terrorism, then it doesn't get any better than Alpha Protocol. It has a Hollywood-caliber script and it is a game, akin to Heavy Rain and the Mass Effect Trilogy, that you can play through dozens of times and experience something entirely different each time.

[quote name='Yamato']I will also recommend Mass Effect 2. I really liked ME1, but you can skip it. Compared to 2 and 3, the system is pretty dated and it isn't as fun to go back to after playing any of them. I strongly suggest that you learn the story and events that happened in ME1, though. Check out this video among others. My friend wanted to play ME3 without playing the other two, and after urging him to start at 1, he said that he couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Heavy Rain is one of my all-time favorite games. It isn't perfect, and the gameplay is basically guiding your character through scenarios by pressing button combinations that simulate a real-life movement. For example, when brushing your teeth, you'd move the SIXAXIS controller from side to side. When lifting a handful of boxes, you'd hold in square and triangle, then lift up on the right stick, etc. I enjoyed the gameplay, though, and unlike the CAG above, I enjoyed the characters. I was hooked on the story and the ending surprised me. If you've played Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit, it is sort of a spiritual successor.

I'm playing through Catherine right now, and it is a great game. The puzzles can be challenging, but they aren't frustrating to me. The story is something different, and the whole idea seems pretty unique. Definitely check out some review videos or something because the style is not for everyone.

If you haven't played Bioshock, I see someone mentioned that, and I'll recommend that as well.

I'll have to pick up RDR because it seems to be getting a lot of praise.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I opted not to watch the video as I am still holding on to the idea of playing ME1.

So far these are the games I have gotten so far:

Assassin's Creed II
Batman Arkham Asylum (I had actually played this game before, but had not finished it so I am part way through it already).
Dues Ex: Human Revolution
Mass Effect 2 (Will finish ME1 first on my Mac)
Red Dead Redemption

I will also be getting (With upcoming BB sale):

God of War Collection
God of War III
and a TBD third game (leaning towards either the Resistance Dual Pack, GTAIV: Complete, or Batman Arkham City)

and $10 Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I figure that should be enough to keep me busy for awhile.

I'm going to second "Folklore". One of the most underrated games this gen.

As for "Deus Ex" it depends if you're a Cyberpunk whore. If you're not as into it you may not enjoy the story.

Yakuza series is very story involved, very good twists and makes you care for each character.
-you must read subtitles though

Finally got around to playing and beating Uncharted 3. EPIC story it's like a summer blockbuster movie on crack. Could live without the 100 fist fight button pressing sequences....WTF were they thinking.... Still great games and storyline.

[quote name='$hady']Finally got around to playing and beating Uncharted 3. EPIC story it's like a summer blockbuster movie on crack. Could live without the 100 fist fight button pressing sequences....WTF were they thinking.... Still great games and storyline.[/QUOTE]

If you think U3 story was great, play U2's. Much better :)

In terms of story, you can never go wrong with a Final Fantasy game so I suggest trying FFXIII & FFXIII-2. If you dont mind playing old classics, then play FFX & VIII.

Also the Metal Gear Solid series has a great stroy but you need to play MGS1 2 3 & 4 to fully understand it. If you hate long dialogue, then stay away from any MGS game :p

To me out of the games i have played i would highly recommend heavy rain, valkyria chronicles, catherine, Uncharted, any metal gear, and mass effect 2. Mass effect 2 and valkyria chronicles are must plays imo.

[quote name='vic_x51']Yakuza series is very story involved, very good twists and makes you care for each character.
-you must read subtitles though[/QUOTE]

My yakuza 4 is still sealed but I didn't really like yakuza 3... The start is a drag if you never played the first two. The flashbacks of yakuza 1-2 had a lot of missing details that make you love the series so much. You really need to play 1-2 :cool:

[quote name='ThePriceIsRight']If you think U3 story was great, play U2's. Much better :)

In terms of story, you can never go wrong with a Final Fantasy game so I suggest trying FFXIII & FFXIII-2. If you dont mind playing old classics, then play FFX & VIII.

Also the Metal Gear Solid series has a great stroy but you need to play MGS1 2 3 & 4 to fully understand it. If you hate long dialogue, then stay away from any MGS game :p[/QUOTE]

U2 was overall the better game, but I REALLY appreciated the Drake and Sully back story. IMO it was really well done and made the story of U3 my favorite of the series.

I used to like the Final Fantasy games when I was younger and was recently still enjoying playing FFIV. However, even as pretty as the newer ones are I just have not gotten used to the new gameplay.

I recently finished Arkham Asylum and am currently playing Mass Effect 1 on my 360. I've gotten farther in it and am pretty confident that I will actually finish it this time. Then I will be free to move on to the rest of the series!

I would recommend NIER and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Castlevania is really good, especially for a reboot of the series, and is has great platforming and combat elements.

NIER is a relatively inexpensive game now( $15-ish?) and is worth more than the price with an interesting story, humorous dialogue, and multiple endings that will make you replay this game over and over again.

Good thing you are getting god of war III, the graphics of that game are the best on the ps3 imo, mainly because of Krato's close up when you press new game :D

[quote name='zonte94']I would recommend NIER and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Castlevania is really good, especially for a reboot of the series, and is has great platforming and combat elements.

NIER is a relatively inexpensive game now( $15-ish?) and is worth more than the price with an interesting story, humorous dialogue, and multiple endings that will make you replay this game over and over again.

Good thing you are getting god of war III, the graphics of that game are the best on the ps3 imo, mainly because of Krato's close up when you press new game :D[/QUOTE]

I'll 2nd Nier, awesome game. OP asked for story and this has it. It should be $15 new at Newegg, but I've seen it down to $10 sometimes. $15 well worth it, and do at least one New Game+ (puts you at last part of game, not full redo) the added context and cutscenes give a new meaning to the story, amazing.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection may have been PS2 games, but they're updated for HD, and 2 of the best stories counting last gen too.

Assassin's Creed II, the ending is awesome. Brotherhood and Revelations not really so much.

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 if you can follow the stories, they look amazing and battle system is cool.

Dues Ex: Human Revolution. The ending is dumb, but the story was intriguing to me overall throughout it. Upgrades reminded me of the original on PC yet not the same. No forced run and gun moments (except boss battles), you can play how you like, all stealth if you want.

Heavy Rain was great. It's like an interactive movie, so be prepared for that.

The Uncharted series. Epic stories and set pieces. I just didn't like the forced gunplay sections. Better than any India Jones game could/would ever be.

List of some other games I enjoyed, with maybe not as strong emphasis on story: Portal 2, Mirror's Edge, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Enslaved, Darksiders, Journey, Borderlands, Heavenly Sword, Skyrim, and Beyond Good and Evil HD is a cheap download title of a great last gen game/story.

I FINALLY finished Mass Effect 1! It only took 5 years and several re-purchases. I'm really glad I stuck with it this time and got through it. The story is pretty good and made me want to dive right into ME2. I have to say that the interactive comic in ME2 was REALLY well done. It does a pretty good job covering the story of the first game, but it can't recreate the emotional factor behind the choices you made.

As for ME2, I have about 15 hours into it so far. I heard it was a different from ME1, but I guess I did not realize how much different it was until I started playing it. The opening scene was incredible and the overall story is pretty good so far. Some of the game mechanics are taking some getting used to and parts of the game feel kind of linear, but it's overall been a fun experience. However, the load screens for saving the game and the elevator have been annoyingly long and have made me consider moving to an SSD drive...

bread's done
Back