Official MMA/Grappling Training Thread

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I don't know how well received this thread will be, but we'll see just how lazy you Cheapassgamers are. This can be the hub for any discussions, questions or tips relating to training in Mixed Martial Arts such as Muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing, etc. or grappling such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Ju-Jitsu, Sambo, wrestling, etc.

I don't expect this to be a huge thread but with the rapid growth of the sport and the increasing popularity of BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), I expect some of those who train to come in and discuss! This is a thread to complement the MMA discussion thread, and is essentially the same except for those who actually participate in MMA-related activities.

Begin! :applause:

I can feel the thread failing already. I'll start with a common issue then, and you guys can discuss how to get around it.

How do you get around the issue of having your Half-Guard sliced apart?

I personally don't train but I live about 4 houses down from Miguel Torres' house. He doesn't live there anymore but his brothers do. He used to train out of a fitness center about 15 minutes away from here, lol. He finally opened up his own gym fairly close to here and they offer BJJ and some other stuff.

I've considered it plenty of times but in the end I never go through with it. If I ever did though I don't know how serious I would take it. It is fairly expensive so I probably would take it at least a little serious haha.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I personally don't train but I live about 4 houses down from Miguel Torres' house. He doesn't live there anymore but his brothers do. He used to train out of a fitness center about 15 minutes away from here, lol. He finally opened up his own gym fairly close to here and they offer BJJ and some other stuff.

I've considered it plenty of times but in the end I never go through with it. If I ever did though I don't know how serious I would take it. It is fairly expensive so I probably would take it at least a little serious haha.[/QUOTE]

Torres is a top notch BJJ guy, especially in MMA/No-Gi. I imagine it would be expensive but you wouldn't want to be the guy who regretted not going when he was still young and able to learn at a nice rate. IMO it doesn't hurt to try a month or two and drop out if you don't like it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I can feel the thread failing already. I'll start with a common issue then, and you guys can discuss how to get around it.

How do you get around the issue of having your Half-Guard sliced apart?[/QUOTE]

Half guard is there to only prevent the other person from taking an advantages position (ie. side or mount). You need to make sure you use half-guard as a transitional position. Meaning you need to either shrimp to your side and pull guard again, shrimp and sweep, shrimp and pull an arm, etc. If you sit there longer than 20 seconds, then you are basically giving your opponent the opportunity to dictate the fight.

Better question, is this gi or no gi?

Favorite sweep? Elevator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlrF04Dx1Q

Only problem is that it works on people that don't know that it is coming. Any of the purple/browns at my school can see it coming and usually either sit back to null it or smash my shoulders and pass.

This is going to be a great thread for me. I got a no-gi tournament coming up on December 2nd. I currently train at Elite MMA in Redondo Beach under Joe Pardo for no-gi and Tony Pacenski with gi. Been doing this on and off for two years and I still consider myself a beginner. There is just so much to learn and practice.

YES! Finally somebody who grapples hits up this thread.

I don't wholly agree with your thoughts about half-guard though, since I think it can be a very offensive position where your opponent is forced to make a move. There are a lot of options from there, not even counting if you're looking to dive into deep half or half-guard with a butterfly hook. I like the Elevator sweep due to its simplicity but it can be tough to hit on anybody remotely experienced. After white belt it feels like you can get there, but need to use that position to set up another sweep.

I can get away with being in half guard against people my skill or less, but guys better than me, half-guard is just a stalling move. There are certainly advantages when you pull half guard, I am just no very well versed in them just yet. As for people getting out of your half guard, you should using that moment to pull guard/sweep/pass/reset.

Train gi or no-gi?

Half-guard definitely isn't just a transitional or last ditch effort for surviving someone trying to pass your guard. It is definitely high-risk / high-reward though with some very nice sweeps and other options, but if you just lay there and let yourself get flattened out you are for a world of hurt. Always keep moving - either staying on your side keeping space or really dig in there and go for deep half-guard.

I'm like 7 or so years of BJJ and 4 of Judo. I started with Judo and joined my college team and then began to take BJJ along with it. After graduating college I've pretty much just stayed with BJJ and haven't done Judo in like 4 years. I've done very very little no-gi (as in probably under 40 hours). I've competed in only two BJJ tournaments but probably somewhere along 50 Judo ones. I haven't competed for a few years, but would like to again within the next year.

Edit: Also thus my avatar
Edit number 2: Any my little saying below my username.

bread's done
Back