Barnes & Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale - 7/10-7/30

supershammy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Get ready, here it comes! B&N is having their bi(tri?)annual 50% off Criterion sale, starting 3AM on 7/10 (online, obviously), and at opening on 7/10 for B&M. It will end on 7/30.

Expect YMMV luck with utilizing coupons in conjunction with this sale, although 90% of the time members succeed. Coupons have come in all flavors during this sale in previous years, so it's up in the air what we are in for this go around. Coupons are said to be most frequently posted in this thread at DVD Talk.

Also expect to be able to use your B&N membership 10% off in-store discount in conjunction with this sale, or expedited shipping when ordering online.

Do not expect to be able to preorder movies using this discount (although I have been able to in the past, but only half the time).

So what are you guys looking for? I'm gonna get The Killing, Rushmore, The 400 Blows, For All Mankind, Anatomy of a Murder, Branded to Kill, Summer With Monika, Three Colors, Cul-De-Sac (maybe), Close-Up....

Last edited by a moderator:
House
The Magician*
Solaris
Summer with Monika*
Summer Interlude*
World on a Wire
Smiles of a Summer Night*
Fanny and Alexander*
The Virgin Spring
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Belle De Jour

That is my current plan, provided nothing comes up.

I will definitely be stopping by B&N this week to see what I can find. Last time I was there I saw they had a rather large selection of CC BLUs. I have a few titles that I'm interested in. Would love to get the Samurai Trilogy during this sale.

Thanks for the heads up!!!
error

For me the only definite thing I am getting is the Samurai Trilogy on blu-ray. Two other possibilities are Cronos and Last Temptation of Christ

[quote name='DestroVega']Why do they always do this sale 2 weeks before a new release I want?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm going to pass as the only thing I want at the moment is The Gold Rush. I also want Lonesome but that doesn't come out for a another month and a half yet.

Wow, I had no idea The Samurai Trilogy was even released on Blu-Ray. Sounds like it's quite the upgrade from DVD as well. I may have to bite on this.

Getting the Late Ozu Eclipse set for sure. And then either House or The Gold Rush on blu-ray to get free shipping. Haven't decided which blu-ray yet since I like both movies.

I'll pick up Harakiri on Blu. I have the Kurosawa AK 100 Box Set, but I still might get Seven Samurai on Blu Ray.

Also, let me recommend The Hit. A really underrated gem and it's on the lower end in terms of Criterion pricing at 30 bucks MSRP, so 15 with this deal. One of my favorite movies ever. John Hurt is great, and Terence Stamp and Tim Roth are very good.

Hopscotch was also surprisingly very VERY good

I picked up Branded to Kill, Tokyo Drifter and Sanbiki no Samurai all on blu-ray. Did they remaster the Samurai Trilogy for blu-ray? I remember the audio and visual quality of the DVDs was pretty bad for Criterion standards.

I picked up The Great Dictator, The Gold Rush, and The 39 Steps. I'm REALLY thinking about also ordering 12 Angry men, Rushmore, and Charade.

Quick question, is anyone getting confirmation emails from them? I'm not. i never ordered from them before. I created an account and the order I placed doesn't even appear under order status. I did get a Paypal confirmation e-mail, but nothing from them and order doesn't show up under My Orders or Order Status. I would like to place one more, but just want to make sure this isn't out of the ordinary

And thank you MacBeth

Stuff I plan on getting:
The 39 Steps
And Everything is Going Fine
Bottle Rocket
Gray's Anatomy
Harold and Maude
The Last Days of Disco
Metropolitan
Sweetie
Tiny Furniture
Traffic

The B2G1 stacking has ended. I managed to nab 15 titles just before B&N corrected their mistake:

The 39 Steps
Being John Malkovich
Breathless
Close-Up
The Double Life of Veronique
For All Mankind
The Gold Rush
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Last Year at Marienbad
Late Spring
The Magician
Pale Flower
Summer with Monika
Vivre sa vie
Yi Yi

I got their standard "scheduled to ship" e-mail; tomorrow will tell whether this actually goes through!

Yeah I got in on the buy 2 get 1 free. I got the samurai trilogy, cronos, and last temptation of christ. I also was able to get a visa 15% off the highest priced item to work. Not a bad deal!

I put in 9 orders(!) last night on the B2G1. If they go through, they should cover most of what I want from this sale, other than the Samurai Trilogy (there weren't any other similarly expensive titles that I wanted, so holding out in hopes of a coupon for that one) and a few titles that aren't out yet which are being released during the sale. Got "scheduled to ship" messages for all of them, but no shipping notices yet, so we'll see...

[quote name='electricsleep']Did they remaster the Samurai Trilogy for blu-ray? I remember the audio and visual quality of the DVDs was pretty bad for Criterion standards.[/QUOTE]

Based on what I've read, they did remaster it and it is a great improvement.

[quote name='shrike4242']Oh, you lucky bastards if you had the 50% off sale and B2G1 stacking on numerous orders and they don't get cancelled. :wall:[/QUOTE]

Realistically, it wasn't a lot cheaper than it will be if they offer up a 20% off member coupon (+ member discount, of course) at some point during the sale, which they likely will. It was a whole lot less effort/time/gas, though, so that was nice. :D

[quote name='arcane93']Realistically, it wasn't a lot cheaper than it will be if they offer up a 20% off member coupon (+ member discount, of course) at some point during the sale, which they likely will. It was a whole lot less effort/time/gas, though, so that was nice. :D[/QUOTE]I have a 15% coupon that they sent me via BN Buzz, though not sure if it's in-store or online. Have to check and see and use it in the appropriate location. ;)

I think my wants this time around are a bit less than previous sales, mainly since I think I have everything I wanted from the Criterion 50% off sale, plus some random sales on Amazon.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think my wants this time around are a bit less than previous sales, mainly since I think I have everything I wanted from the Criterion 50% off sale, plus some random sales on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, I specifically held back on those other sales because I knew that waiting for the B&N sale would be a better deal. :) Means that I had a lot to pick up this time, though, since they seem to have really ramped up the blu-ray release schedule. Surprising too how few of them this time are complete blind buys, and how many are titles that I really specifically want.

There's some rumor over on blu-ray.com that there will be another "mystery coupon" promotion later this week (rumored dates are 7/12 to 7/15). So it might be worth holding off on buying too many for now. (Though if my B2G1 orders go through, I don't really mind having paid a bit more for them, because of the effort/time/gas saved.)

Can't believe I missted the B3G1 stacking. I was totally countiing on that happening but forgot completely that this was starting today. I confused the dates with BB's Upgrade and Save :(

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can't believe I missted the B2G1 stacking. I was totally countiing on that happening but forgot completely that this was starting today. I confused the dates with BB's Upgrade and Save :([/QUOTE]

Same here. Oh well. Que sera sera.

M

[quote name='JP73']Any shipment confirmations yet? Mine are all showing that they expect shipment 7/10[/QUOTE]

Nothing yet. I've got a browser tab open to gmail, and I keep jumping every time a new message indicator pops up. :lol: All of mine say they should ship today too, but I've found in the past that I often don't get B&N shipping notification emails until late evening. So I'm not too worried yet.

[quote name='arcane93']Nothing yet. I've got a browser tab open to gmail, and I keep jumping every time a new message indicator pops up. :lol: All of mine say they should ship today too, but I've found in the past that I often don't get B&N shipping notification emails until late evening. So I'm not too worried yet.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I got the same thing going on. Logged onto MSN and everytime I get that message ding I hurry to my hotmail account. So far, it's a bunch of other crap. No I don't want 42 cent per pop Mexican Boner pills, I want my shipping confirmations, damn it!

I placed 5 orders, all for me, non of that gift crap. The 5th one I got 3 Essential Arthouse titles for 10 bucks each, so i had to find a 5 dollar book to get the free shipping. Didn't even know they were gonna be on sale.

Also, the Akira Kurosawa AK 100 Box Set is also on sale. Only 199. I already have it, but it is a really nice set and at a really nice price.

Just got my first shipment confirmation for one of my buy 2 get 1 free orders, including tracking number. :D This makes me hopeful that my other two orders will ship as well. So glad I was able to jump on this deal.

Here's what I ordered:

The Phantom Carriage 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Island of Lost Souls 1 07-10-2012 $19.99
Kuroneko 1 07-10-2012 $19.99

Gojira 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Sommaren med Monika 1 07-10-2012 $19.99
3 Women 1 07-10-2012 $19.99

(this is the one I got shipping confirmation for)
Sommarlek 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Sanbiki no Samurai 1 07-10-2012 $14.99
The Letter Never Sent 1 07-10-2012 $14.99

I may pick up a couple of the more expensive box sets in the next couple of weeks if some good coupons come out. Namely The Samurai Trilogy and the Noel Coward set.

Son of a... I was at my computer during the glitch in the system, but wasn't even aware that the sale was live yet until just now :cry:. I would've grabbed sooo many releases that I wanted if I only knew... Oh well, I picked up The Samurai Trilogy with the 15% coupon code for now. I'm planning on grabbing La Haine, Being John Malkovich and possibly Shallow Grave, depending on whether or not this new mystery coupon shows up before the sale is over & if it's any good. I'm so jealous of those of you that got in on the B2G1 stacking lol.

I got two B2G1's along with 50% off. I quit, thinking they would likely get cancelled and I would be out of the liquidity for 2 or 3 days while they removed the pending charge from my CC. Wish I would have done the final 3 in my cart around 1:00am last night. Oh well, I still feel lucky.

They still may get cancelled. No shipping confirmation for either of my 5 orders.

As you can see, I'm quite the optimist

[quote name='JP73']They still may get cancelled. No shipping confirmation for either of my 5 orders.

As you can see, I'm quite the optimist[/QUOTE]

I've gotten shipping confirmations for just over half of the titles that I ordered (14 out of 27 -- a few full orders, and a couple of partial orders shipped), so I think it's pretty safe to say they're not canceling them.

I'm limiting myself to one film (for now) should I get Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro. I already have Seven Samurai and loved it.

[quote name='LordVila']I'm limiting myself to one film (for now) should I get Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro. I already have Seven Samurai and loved it.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Yojimbo/Sanjuro over the Samurai Trilogy. ST is well acted by the main characters but the story isn't really that great for a trilogy. I've watched both twice and I don't really think I'd rewatch ST again but I definitely will watch Y/S again.

[quote name='arcane93']I've gotten shipping confirmations for just over half of the titles that I ordered (14 out of 27 -- a few full orders, and a couple of partial orders shipped), so I think it's pretty safe to say they're not canceling them.[/QUOTE]

I'm still 0 for 16, so if it's all the same I shall remain pessimistic and assume cancellation until shipment notices.

[quote name='LordVila']I'm limiting myself to one film (for now) should I get Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro. I already have Seven Samurai and loved it.[/QUOTE]

While I enjoyed the Samurai Trilogy (which is in color) I don't think I would have the need to watch it again....With Yojimbo and Sanjuro (which are in black and white), I wouldn't mind seeing them again....Yojimbo esp...I found the dry humor in it enjoyable.

Man, The Samurai Trilogy looks sooooo much better on Blu-Ray. Even the night-time scenes that were big ol' black blobs on the DVD are well presented.

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks OP!

[quote name='JP73']I'm still 0 for 16, so if it's all the same I shall remain pessimistic and assume cancellation until shipment notices.[/QUOTE]

Haha, however you'd like it. :D I now have shipping notices for all of the ones that I ordered except for Traffic.

bread's done
Back