Familyvideo.com ultraviolet copies for sale

Blaster man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/browse_genre.php?browse_id=255

I wonder if these are pulled from the combo packs or if they get codes to sell separately? They don't specify HD or SD.

Edit:
If these are pulled UV copies from combo packs then you should probably not buy from here to be safe as I'm sure a company doing this would be the target of a lawsuit. Unfortunately they give no indication of where the copy comes from.
http://www.webpronews.com/ultraviolet-code-crackdown-starting-on-ebay-2012-04

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably pulled from the packs. My family video used to not mind me taking an ultraviolet code then about two months ago I stopped finding them in the cases. I have most of these movies that came out before Joyful Noise. That was the last one I got. Not a bad price since on demand streaming or a rental is about the same price.

I'm tempted to get Wrath of the Titans since I almost streamed it off amazon the other night.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'm pretty sure all ultraviolet codes (as well as all other digital copies that come with BDs or DVDs) are only SD.[/QUOTE]

Some are definitely HD. Two I know for sure are Sherlock Holms 2 and Underworld 4 (I have them).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'm pretty sure all ultraviolet codes (as well as all other digital copies that come with BDs or DVDs) are only SD.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all. There are some that are free when you sign up for Flixster that are SD, but the ones you redeem can be in HD.

I just redeemed Batman Begins and TDK and both are in HDX if you use PS3 or 360 to watch. PC is restricted to SD for some reason.

One thing I did notice though is that the streaming is really bad overall on anything I own. My internet speeds aren't the best, but Netflix has no issues going to High SD to Medium HD on my PS3. Yet VUDU cannot even do SD consistently.

On the plus side, the PS3 (can't find a way to on 360) can download a SD, HD, or HDX to your HDD and you can watch it via the VUDU app (not the normal PS3 interface AFAIK) without any issues since it's stored locally.

EDIT: Trying HD on my PS3 (I know HDX is too much for it) and so far so good. But I only saw like 30 minutes thus far. I think the issue was I accidentally started downloading a UV movie and I didn't realize it so it was using my bandwith up a decent bit. I guess it doesn't pause downloads when you start to watch something.

The codes that I've recently got from Spider-Man 1-3, Batman Begins, Dark Knight and MIB 1 & 2 have given HDX copies on Vudu (PS3).

I think they've been selling them for some time. It probably won't matter if they get sued as that won't have any impact on your purchase anyway. I don't see why they're making such a big deal out of someone selling UV codes anyway. It's not like UV is even that popular to begin with. Perhaps with people getting a small taste of it with offers like this it might increase the likelihood of them actually using the service more.

Interesting. Thanks, OP. I'll probably pick up a few of these. I trade to MovieStop to get new releases, strip the UV and trade back in. It usually costs about $5 to do that, so these are cheaper for a few movies I want to see or like...

I work at Family Video and we've been instructed the last couple of months to pull out the UV copies from the cases and just throw them away.

Reasoning I got was: "People can just take the UV sheet and download the movie for free and give it to several of their friends, thereby limiting the # of rentals."

It doesn't surprise me that they are selling UV copies though. The company has always been a bit shady...

bread's done
Back