$1 PSP UMD Movies at Dollar Tree!!!

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!
Not really a DVD, Blu-ray or HD-DVD deal, so I guess I'll be putting it in this forum. Noticed Rent and Starship Troopers at my local store. Didn't look for long since I don't have a PSP.

Anyone know if these are flippable anywhere?

Cool, I haven't been to my local Dollar Tree in a long time. Might have to go check it out. I never leave places like that empty handed, even if I don't find UMD movies. I remember several years ago finding Gameboy Advance games at a place similar to Dollar Tree, but they weren't titles worth mentioning.

[quote name='headlikeahole']do they have the new Madea movie on PSP?? if so then ill buy on[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Hollywood stop production on UMD movies years ago due to poor sales.

Sold, much like vinyl, UMDs are making a come back. I will check it out, for a Buck I can always buy and record them using analog loop hole and put em in my server.

Lol, i remember when these were super cheap on the side of the registers at Gamestop. Last i heard they ended up tossing most of them in the dumpster

whats funny is I just picked up a few of these at GS a few weeks back for my younger boy, because I gave him my psp when I got the vita and we were doing a few trips in the car. He loves the movies, I got like spiderman 2 and 3, cloudy with chance meatballs, there are still some good ones out there.

If my local stores have them...and have anything decent...I'm totally all over this for some stuff to watch on my psp. Thanks OP!

[quote name='dgwillia006']Lol, i remember when these were super cheap on the side of the registers at Gamestop. Last i heard they ended up tossing most of them in the dumpster[/QUOTE]

they're still sold at all my local gamestops

Sort of wish I had one of those stores around me now. I've never watched a movie on umd but that's a really good deal.

The Gamestops in my area still sells them for about 5-10 dollars. Lol. The only ones I enjoyed were Big Daddy, Godzilla: Final Wars, and FF7: Advent Children.

I have a few Viva La Bam UMD's and Chris Farley SNL and a few other good ones. I will check my Dollar Tree out tomorrow! Gamestop might still have UMD's, but they are still overpriced.

Does anyone know of other retailers besides dollar tree that sell $1 dvds and the like? There is no dollar tree within 100 miles of me so I'm looking for some alternatives.

[quote name='PublikDefender']Does anyone know of other retailers besides dollar tree that sell $1 dvds and the like? There is no dollar tree within 100 miles of me so I'm looking for some alternatives.[/QUOTE]

My local PathMark had a bunch of Sonny Chiba movies for $2.

I had a few UMD movies at one point. Only ever watched them when flying. I remember getting a horrified look from the lady passenger next to me when she watched a bit of "Perfect Blue" over my shoulder. :lol:

[quote name='ChuckyDJ']All gamestops here still carry them as well. The gamecube selection is what is drying up here right now.[/QUOTE]

Mine are the exact opposite. There are only a few UMD movies on the PSP rack but there's still a ton of GameCube stuff. (The good stuff is either absent or priced too high, though.)

[quote name='ZombieToast']Such a stupid format, but I like getting these when they're nice and cheap. At that price, they're worth it just for the cases alone.[/QUOTE]

When the Sony store had a clearance, I grabbed a couple of the 97 cent movies, but there wasn't much of a selection left. People in the threads were literally talking about clearing out the shelves and actually throwing away the movies and keeping the cases, though. That type of thing totally sucks for people that are actually looking to watch the movies on their PSPs...especially since they're all discontinued and getting hard to find new. Hopefully, if my Dollar Tree carries them, I'll score at least a few decent titles before someone pulls something like that.

[quote name='MR_E']When the Sony store had a clearance, I grabbed a couple of the 97 cent movies, but there wasn't much of a selection left. People in the threads were literally talking about clearing out the shelves and actually throwing away the movies and keeping the cases, though. That type of thing totally sucks for people that are actually looking to watch the movies on their PSPs...especially since they're all discontinued and getting hard to find new. Hopefully, if my Dollar Tree carries them, I'll score at least a few decent titles before someone pulls something like that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's pretty lame. As silly as the format may be to me, I still keep any movies/shows that are decent (in fact, I bought the Aeon Flux series not too long ago because it was cheap). I've always hated being wasteful, so if I ever come into possession of any that I don't want (and I just want to keep the cases), I make sure the discs go to a good home and I recycle the inserts if nobody wants them. If I can't get anybody to take the discs, I find ways to recycle those as well.

[quote name='TimPV3']About as flippable as VHS, thanks for the heads up though![/QUOTE]

And everything needs to be flippable?

I went into my local store today. no UMD's but they did get a large selection of hardback books in. I picked up four nice National Geographic hardbacks.

Nice consolation prize if anything.

I just got back from Dollar Tree 2 of 3 here in Jersey lol. Picked up 16 titles for the hell of it. (1 of every umd they had)
1. Gridiron Gang
2. Angels and Demons
3. 7 Seconds
4. To Die For
5. Guess Who
6. Godzilla
7. National Security
8. Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
9. Lords of Dogtown
10. Little Man
11. Walk Hard: Dewey Cox Story
12. Charlie's Angels
13. Hollow Man
14. Bewitched
15. Fired Up
16. Spider-Man: Animated Series - The Mutant Menace

A fun fact though for those asking where these came from. There was actually one resealed Charlie's Angels with a GameStop Sticker on it. Guess GS got something for them after all lol

[quote name='SINNED']Where are these magical dollar tree stores that sell games and movies. Mine never have them.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My local Dollar Tree had none. I did find UMDs at a 99Cents only store a year or so back. Some movie I never heard of, and an instructional video on how to beatbox.

I stopped at the dollar tree to get snacks to sneak into batman. At the register my friend pointed out a stack of umds. An employee saw my interest and opened up 6 boxes full of them. Got:
Spiderman
Spiderman 3
The Pest
The One
Stripes
Anger management

Unfortunately I forgot to grab Underworld 3 and Hollow Man.

DT store #3 I picked up the following. Can we keep a running total/master list in the original post?

17. The Sweetest Thing
18. Boyz N The Hood
19. Steamboy (anime)
20. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
21. The International
22. Cross Over
23. Rent
24. The Gospel
25. Dragon Wars D-War
26. L4yer Cake
27. Astroboy: Volume 1 Blasts Off!
28. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
29. The Legend of Zorro

Hit 2 stores here in Western NY with no UMDs in sight. Totally would have grabbed some of the movies that have been mentioned. D'oh. I guess we should pull out the YMMV stickers? Unless some stores are just taking longer to stock them.

WOW! Just hit the mother load. I think its safe to say I picked up every copy available (50 in total!) I spoke with an associate in the 3rd dollar tree that I hit up and he allowed me to look at three or four boxes they had in the back. See the photo below. I believe that theres 50 in total but I could be wrong and there could be more. Heres the complete list in alphabetical order:

1. 7 Seconds
2. Air Force One
3. Anacondas
4. Anger Management
5. Angels & Demons
6. Astro Boy Vol 1
7. Bad Boys
8. Bewitched
9. Boyz n The Hood
10. Charlie's Angels
11. Christmas with the Kranks
12. CrossOver
13. Cruel Intentions
14. Dragon Wars D War
15. Final Fantasy Spirits Within
16. Fired Up
17. Fun with Dick & Jane
18. Godzilla
19. The Gospel
20. Gridiron Gang
21. Guess Who
22. Hancock
23. Higher Learning
24. Hollow Man
25. House of Flying Daggers
26. The International
27. Labyrinth
28. Lakeview Terrace
29. L4yer Cake
30. Legend of Zorro
31. Little Man
32. Lords of Dogtown
33. Monty Python Holy Grail
34. National Security
35. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
36. Pest, The
37. Pelham 1-2-3, The Taking of
38. Rent
39. Saving Silverman
40. Spiderman: Animated Series Vol 1
41. Spiderman
42. Spiderman 3
43. Starship Troopers 3
44. Stealth
45. Steamboy
46. Stripes
47. Sweetest Thing, The
48. To Die For
49. Walk Hard: Dewey Cox Story
50. Year One

photo.jpg

Thanks for the post OP! This is awesome!

I always shied away from UMD movies, but having portable versions of some of these movies for a dollar a piece is perfect.

Went to a local Dollar Tree tonight and picked up seven UMDs. I still really want Labyrinth, Anacondas, Lakeview Terrace, Christmas with the Kranks, and maybe a few more, so I might hit up a few other stores tomorrow.

Hey Blizzard - so the associate was cool with letting you browse through the boxes? Were all of those UMDs in the boxes or were some out on the racks?

Yea I went to three stores. Seems like different stores had diff titles. Some were in a bin as soon as you walked in the store. Most I found in the back. Happy hunting! Thanx!

I'd really like to grab some of those. Maybe I'll check back when I'm out that way again tomorrow and see if maybe they just haven't put them out on the shelves yet.

The other cool thing about UMDs is that you can output them full screen to a tv through composite or component (apparently at 480i or 480p, depending on the cable).

Definitely never hurts to ask someone. I got to talkin to one of the workers there and after about 5 min we were buddies. At first he seemed hesitant but after talkin for a few minutes and mentioning i was just tryin to buy one of each for my personal collection, I asked when he thought they would get more in because I would simply come back. I saw another CAG had gotten Anger Management and Spiderman 3 so I asked for these two titles after he offered to "double check" the back. Then I just asked if I could take a quick look in the box and he brought out like 3-4 slim boxes and that's where I got the majority of the remaining titles :)

i got air force one, steamboy, click, the secret window, fun with dick and jane, bewitched i wish i couldve gotten the pest but they didnt have it :/

Hrmm I may have to hit up another store. Haven't seen the secret window, click etc. maybe we can trade if you need any movies from the stores in my area?

[quote name='buster90']With digital copies everywhere what is the point for this old outdated technology?[/QUOTE]

To watch on your psp 2000 or 3000 on the go? The psp systems actually also limit the resolution/quality of digital movies...at least with official firmware...whereas UMD discs are at 480p and can be output to a tv.

I think everyone here knows it's sort of silly obsolete technology (hence the format's death)...but that's why they're $1 a piece. Worth grabbing a few good movies at $1 a piece to watch on a plane or during a power outage or whatever *shrug*

Went to another Dollar Tree today. The store didn't have any UMDs, but a very helpful employee called two neighboring stores and one happened to have an entire display of them.

Picked up a bunch that weren't at the other store, like The Pest, Secret Window, Mall Cop, The Animal, Walk Hard, Creature Comforts and Dragon Wars.

14 movies for $14. Awesome.

No clue why people here are buying these, totally obsolete and outdated technology. Digital copies everywhere that you can get for free and put on your Ipad, other tablet, Iphone, etc and watch. All of those you can also hook up to your TV. Come on for being Cheap ass gamers here some of you guys are spending 50 bucks on these thins for no real point.

bread's done
Back