Play games for 24 hours on October 20th and raise money for Chilren's Miracle Network

mrsachmo

CAGiversary!
Hi CAGers! Please pardon the interruption, but I wanted to talk about an upcoming charity event that pretty much right in the wheelhouse of our community.

I'm sure many of you have heard of the Extra-Life charity before, but I wanted to extend an open invitation to anyone who may be interested in taking part to join a team!

On October 20th, 2012, gamers from all over the country will take part in an epic 24-hour gaming marathon organized by Extra-Life. The games played can be any format; I've heard of a couple of teams that will be playing board games! The only effort required for participants is to be willing to hang in there from 8am on Saturday until 8am Sunday, doing something that they love to do! You can play from wherever you wish; together with friends or at home by yourself. There is no monitoring...you just need to play!

Each team can turn to family and friends to pledge financial support for their efforts. ALL proceeds go to the Children's Miracle Network, which supports hospitals around the country. The donations are 100% tax deductible, and eligible for company matching.

To be honest, I can't think of a better way to spend a day. My wife won't be mad at me for playing games, my kids won't nag me to get off of the xbox, and I'll be doing a little bit to help take care of sick kids, which is something I personally feel quite strongly about. Getting money from donors in easy...it's for sick kids. Who can pass that up?

Below is a link to the team that I started. It's called Gaming + Charity = Win. The name is a bit silly, because I am a programmer. I leave the pretty choices to product people.
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&eventID=508&teamID=8401

If you aren't interested in joining this team, I encourage everyone to sign up and raise money on your own. Click the big green Register button at the link below:
http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.eventDetails&eventID=508

If you won't have time, but have money to burn, why not make my time on October 20th more valuable by pledging some money?
http://www.extra-life.org/participant/chrissachnik

Thanks for reading, and please consider Extra-Life. It's ok to feel good, and proud, about helping others. You might as well have a blast while you are helping them as well. :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
WHEN: October 20, 2012 @ 8am (Or choose a date that works for your schedule)
WHERE: Anywhere you like to game (Most people play from home!)
GAME/PLATFORM: Play any games on any platforms you want including mobile devices!
HOW IT WORKS: Simply ask your friends and family to sponsor your efforts. They can make a monthly pledge or a one-time gift. Then, have a seat and play games on October 20th.
WHO IT BENEFITS: Gamers select the children's hospital they want to play for during registration. In the US and Canada there are more than 170 CMN Hospitals to choose from. Players may also choose to play for hospitals in the UK and Australia.

My website does this every year - this year, our goal is $10,000 for the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI! We'll be live streaming for 48-Hours starting October 20th.

We'll also be giving away prized and doing trivia and stuff. I'll post more here when it gets closer to the date!

This charity is great for parents to get their kids involved in. If you know a parent who complains about their kiddo playing video games too much, why not point them to Extra-Life? They don't have to play for 24 hours...but if the kids can raise money AND play games, that might open their minds to how nice it feels to help others.

www.Extra-Life.org

What are you doing 10 days before Halloween eve this year? Nothing? Why not PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR CHARITY? On October 20th, gamers from all over the country will be logging into their computers, and iphones, and sega genesi to play video games for 24 hours in support of children's hospitals. You can be part of it, too! Just follow the link to Extra-Life.org and read about it! It's for kids, as is Halloween! See how that works?

http://www.extra-life.org/

Please consider joining this cause. Your wife\SO\girlfrield won't be able to yell at you for playing games because you are raising money for kids!

bread's done
Back