[DEAD] Dead Island GOTY $19.99 (PS3/Xbox 360) at Amazon

[quote name='ice_man_fb']Worth a buy at that price?[/QUOTE]

I don't have any personal experience with the game. Would have picked up a 360 copy if it were the same price. I don't see it going any lower than this before black friday. But with some of the sales we've seen recently, you never know

I'm playing it now... fun game. It's a little janky and the characters suck, but the combat is fun and I like the setting. Well worth $19.99.

[quote name='cagfansub']Pretty scary game? Like Dead Space?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say it's like Dead Space, DS was more about the scary atmosphere and jump scares, this is more of a "high-tension" kind of scary like Resident Evil 4 where enemies could be coming from any direction. Personally I think this game is one of the best examples of survival horror: I can think of all sorts of exciting times when I had to run to safety from infected zombies or just barley shooting a flaming canister before I was overrun by enemies.

Is there anyone or anywhere that ever considered this the "Game of the Year"? I don't like it how "Game of the Year" has become a desensitized term only implying that it comes with some kind of dlc bundle...as opposed to being the best game of the year.

...but anyway, good price, I guess. My backlog is so huge, I can't justify any purchase over $10 anyway.

Not really. They're both great games (two of my favorite horror games of this gen, but for different reasons), but I wouldn't compare the two at all. I mean, there's sometimes a "what comes next" factor or the sense of being overwhelmed...or hearing things off in the distance and wondering what's around the corner...but you're pretty much running around beach resorts and cities and jungles battling hordes of zombies and the occasional rogue humans. More post-apocalyptic open world zombie/survival action. It's a ton of fun, though.

[quote name='thebert']Is there anyone or anywhere that ever considered this the "Game of the Year"? I don't like it how "Game of the Year" has become a desensitized term only implying that it comes with some kind of dlc bundle...as opposed to being the best game of the year.

...but anyway, good price, I guess. My backlog is so huge, I can't justify any purchase over $10 anyway.[/QUOTE]

There was an article about the one Web site that had one of their writers name it his GOTY. I forgot what site it was, but that's why they named it that lol.

I put about 20 hours in and then traded it in. It is a fun game and worth 20, but anyone expecting game of the year material will be disappointed. Slightly above average game Imo.

Not quite, but similar. There were moments when I was playing solo where a zombie would attack from behind and I'd get some goosebumps.

I'm curious to find out if the on-disc DLC can be used with a vanilla copy of the game.

Good price. But I'm curious how they get away with calling this a "Game of the Year" edition?

Does every game just get to use that term now? When I hear "Game of the Year" edition, I assume that game has won multiple accolades, including a "GoTY" title from a major publication. I don't think Dead Island ever reached that level of accolade or even deserved to be in the running.

[quote name='barrit']There was an article about the one Web site that had one of their writers name it his GOTY. I forgot what site it was, but that's why they named it that lol.[/QUOTE]

:applause:LMAO! :rofl:

[quote name='ice_man_fb']Worth a buy at that price?[/QUOTE]

Totally worth a buy at that price. It's a huge open world game that pretty much hits all of the classic zombie survival horror locations and themes with some of its own...and includes great online co-op...and I think took around 40 hours to finish (trying to do all of the side quests).

[quote name='thebert']Is there anyone or anywhere that ever considered this the "Game of the Year"? I don't like it how "Game of the Year" has become a desensitized term only implying that it comes with some kind of dlc bundle...as opposed to being the best game of the year.

...but anyway, good price, I guess. My backlog is so huge, I can't justify any purchase over $10 anyway.[/QUOTE]

"I don't know how official any of these rankings really are...." :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdv9yFIoLPk

[quote name='iamsmart']I wouldn't say it's like Dead Space, DS was more about the scary atmosphere and jump scares, this is more of a "high-tension" kind of scary like Resident Evil 4 where enemies could be coming from any direction. Personally I think this game is one of the best examples of survival horror: I can think of all sorts of exciting times when I had to run to safety from infected zombies or just barley shooting a flaming canister before I was overrun by enemies.[/QUOTE]

I remember stupidly walking into the quarantine zone with constant respawning enemies and getting stuck on a car surrounded by a horde. I lost two of my best weapons and I barely made out. Ugh.

Not really considering the game takes place mainly during the day on an island resort. I haven't played it in quite some time, but I don't remember it having a day/night feature like in GTA, etc.

I'd say that Dead Space 1 & 2 is MUCH better in most, if not all aspects. The only "scary" thing about the game is the gunplay which is horrendous. They put way too much emphasis on the damage melee weapons do. It'd be nice to shoot a zombie in the face and drop 'em, but sadly that's not the case in this game.:shame:

If any survival horror game should have received the "Game of the Year" title, it should have been Dead Space 2. What will be the next "Game of the Year"... god forbid RE: ORC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not scary. Rarely a "makes you jump" moment, and you never have the feeling of desperation, and fear of death, because all dying does it cost you a percentage of your money.

I recently platinumed it, took quite some time, so yeah, it is worth the $20. Especially if you are a completionist. Tons of content and different things to do. It can be glitchy, but when it works, its straight forward fun.

The game is awesome. I finished it a while back, and I rarely finish a game. Lots of fun with friends in co-ops as well. Can't wait to get back into it. The game is better than Dead Space 1 for me since that game was so nauseating I couldn't play it. Dead Island is like a mixture of Resident Evil and Borderlands (both are great games). I put 30 plus hours into it, and I still get goose bumps at the end whenever I hear the zombies belting out and I'm low on health. They definitely got the atmosphere right in this game.

seems to me like we are just better off enjoying the trailer. If I recall correctly the guys that made it are also the masterminds behind the original killzone 2 trailer.

[quote name='imthebongo']This may start a shitstorm but what's $5?[/QUOTE]

$5 is a denomination of US currency. Currency is also known as money. Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Money can buy many peanuts.

There is absolutely nothing scary in Dead Island unless you found Left for Dead scary.

[quote name='canedaddy']I'm playing it now... fun game. It's a little janky and the characters suck, but the combat is fun and I like the setting. Well worth $19.99.[/QUOTE]

Really? So the used versions are 18?

I think this game plays better as a lone survivor, but if you can find 3 other people to play with, then $20 is definitely worth it. I might just get it if others are willing to coop.

I was wondering about this. I actually thought that GOTY meant that it was voted the Game of the Year by people and, by default, there could only be 1 GOTY every year. Man was I off. But it made sense. There is no way a game like this could be a Game of the Year.

Anyway, this is a nice deal, but I got it from Walmart for $20. They had accidently (I think) marked the Dead Island GOTY edition for that amount when it was only supposed to be the regular version for $20. And I paid in a gift card which I got from "returning" lots of games to them.

Saw the ps3 version for 19.99 at Gamestop today as well. Me personally I thought this game was trash it was choppy and I could never find a game to join

[quote name='thebert']:applause:LMAO! :rofl:[/QUOTE]
y is that funny... if some1 opinion is that it game of the year then it game of the year.... wow u guyhs r a**holes

i was going to return this to gamestop and get thru amazon but
gamestop also has this on sale for $19.99, so i'm just gonna get a price adjustment.

[quote name='NINJA V']i was going to return this to gamestop and get thru amazon but
gamestop also has this on sale for $19.99, so i'm just gonna get a price adjustment.[/QUOTE]thanks for the heads up. i put in a request for cancellation at amazon. i would rather get it at gamestop so i can play it today.

[quote name='Velo214']Did they fix the ps3 multiplayer so it doesnt freeze your ps3. /iatcg?[/QUOTE]

When I played the multiplayer a couple of months ago, it never froze up for me, although I only did Act 1 in co-op. Also, IATCG has a terrible Internet connection.

bread's done
Back