Question about etting up a second PS3 on the same network...

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Hi,

I recently bought a second Playstation 3 for my bedroom. I currently have one downstairs in my living room that I've had for a few years now.

I was wondering if when setting up the new playstation 3 if there was a way to get the two consoles to communicate with each other (i.e. share save files, media, etc.)

I really don't want to have to transfer my music and games saves and I was wondering if there was anything I could do..

any advice would be appreciated

[quote name='GBAstar']Hi,

I recently bought a second Playstation 3 for my bedroom. I currently have one downstairs in my living room that I've had for a few years now.

I was wondering if when setting up the new playstation 3 if there was a way to get the two consoles to communicate with each other (i.e. share save files, media, etc.)

I really don't want to have to transfer my music and games saves and I was wondering if there was anything I could do..

any advice would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a way to set-up a media server on the PS3 to share from one to the other via streaming, however if you use Plex, Vuze, or something else similar on a PC connected to the network, you can share the media to the PS3's on the network.

As far as game saves, the only way to transfer the protected ones is via the PS+ cloud (yep, it sucks), and the non-protected ones can be put on a USB stick and copied over to the 2nd PS3.

The only other thing I can think of is if you could "clone" your first drive onto your 2nd one by creating a back-up image of the first drive, and restoring onto the 2nd drive, but I'm not sure if this work (and you're still SOL on the protected saves).

[quote name='waldo21212']I don't think there is a way to set-up a media server on the PS3 to share from one to the other via streaming, however if you use Plex, Vuze, or something else similar on a PC connected to the network, you can share the media to the PS3's on the network.

As far as game saves, the only way to transfer the protected ones is via the PS+ cloud (yep, it sucks), and the non-protected ones can be put on a USB stick and copied over to the 2nd PS3.

The only other thing I can think of is if you could "clone" your first drive onto your 2nd one by creating a back-up image of the first drive, and restoring onto the 2nd drive, but I'm not sure if this work (and you're still SOL on the protected saves).[/QUOTE]

No that would work, he'd have to do a 1-to-1 system transfer, however the protected saves would migrate to the new system (and all protected content as well) I'm working with a backup from my old 60GB from last year which was transferred to three different systems (one refurbed that died, the 2nd refurb which is still working, but retired, and finally the new 160Gb slim I got in March)

Shame they don't make it easier, and protected saves are idiotic (IMO) since I've lost many an hour playing a few games like that, and even though I had no intentions of going back to those games, it sucks I can't with semi-complete saves because of stupid crap like that.

I lost some PS1/2 memory cards as well because those are encrypted and not transferred by backup, they are stored in that data I have, but no way to retrieve them. (spent 4 hours this last week backing up old PS1 saves I had in dex drive gme format which was a pain in the ass, but at least that data was saved, but not all recovered since many got trashed when my old PS3 died and is only saved in that encrypted form on my backup sadly)

He could set up a media server for movies, music and such, no idea how to do that, google is your friend here.

But yeah no sharing of games from one system to the other via streaming it all has to be stored locally, only upside is that if one goes down you'll have a backup if you need it, so it's not too bad. Good luck. ;)

bread's done
Back