Return to Ravnica

I'm actually just getting into magic (literally started last week). I would say I wasn't expecting a new set so soon, but then again, I have no idea how quickly they release.

I expect there to be color combinations based on guilds, split-color cost cards, multi-color lands, and good times to be had by all.

[quote name='JStryke']I'm actually just getting into magic (literally started last week). I would say I wasn't expecting a new set so soon, but then again, I have no idea how quickly they release.[/QUOTE]

About every 3 months or so.

Annoyingly, I expect a new Jace... not that we need yet another freakin' Jace, but it would be weird to have a Ravinca-based block without him.

I'm expecting a reprint of Elspeth Knight-Errant at some point in this block... she's the only planeswalker with an emblem ability that hasn't been reprinted since emblem cards came to be. She's bound to get reprinted to get her own emblem card.

Aside from that- lots and lots of multicolor cards.

[quote name='JStryke']I'm actually just getting into magic (literally started last week). I would say I wasn't expecting a new set so soon, but then again, I have no idea how quickly they release.[/QUOTE]

They release pretty regularly, there are expansions as well as core sets

I just picked up Magic again for the first time in 8 years. When I quit playing there were no planeswalkers and a ton of new mechanics, but nothing too weird to learn on the fly. When I last played you would see 1 base set with 2 expansions a year. You also would get a Core Set(8th Edition, Magic 2013) every summer or sometimes a fun set like Finkel Vs Garfield or Unglued.

Standard decks will use cards from last year and this year, and that is when the game gets expensive is when half of your playable cards rotate.

I want to play Standard again but everyone I know who still plays told me to wait until after Return to Ravinca is out and tournament legal to build a deck.

I've been playing EDH Commander for now. Its a goofy format, and the pre-constructed decks are out of print, but its a lot of fun if you can find a way to get started. The store in my town has Commander league every Sunday and people are always in there playing Commander.

[quote name='Habbler']I just picked up Magic again for the first time in 8 years. When I quit playing there were no planeswalkers and a ton of new mechanics, but nothing too weird to learn on the fly. When I last played you would see 1 base set with 2 expansions a year. You also would get a Core Set(8th Edition, Magic 2013) every summer or sometimes a fun set like Finkel Vs Garfield or Unglued.
[/QUOTE]

I think planeswalkers are a good addition

i like the idea of magic but unless you play somewhere that allows you to use printed out cards (print the image out onto a bit of cardboard or some lands) its a game based almost entirely on how much money you have to spend and luck of the draw.

much more fun if everyone has access to every card and can make whatever deck they want without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a "competitive" deck.

I hate thread necromancing, but with the prerelease this weekend, is anybody participating? Never played in the tournament scene, but I'm tempted to go down Sunday to the one store near me.

[quote name='JStryke']I hate thread necromancing, but with the prerelease this weekend, is anybody participating? Never played in the tournament scene, but I'm tempted to go down Sunday to the one store near me.[/QUOTE]

I really want to but I misbudgeted my money and forgot my license tabs were due this month so I'm hoping I can dump some extra junk at Half Price Books to cover it. I saw some pictures of the guild packs though and it does look damn cool. Since M13, Wizards has really stepped it up in terms of packaging design.

Played 3 flights of RtR this weekend. Rakdos the first flight 3-1 and got 9 packs of RtR. Golgari second flight 1-2-1 no prize. Selesnya!!! in third flight. 4-0 baby. 18 packs of RtR. I pulled a Jace in the 2nd flight and used it for $25 store credit to play the 3rd pre-release flight for free. Tons of interesting cards for limited/draft format. Populate is a mechanic that is very consistant. Sold packs for $5 each that I won. Love making money when playing magic.

Did anyone else play yet?

[quote name='crystalklear64']i like the idea of magic but unless you play somewhere that allows you to use printed out cards (print the image out onto a bit of cardboard or some lands) its a game based almost entirely on how much money you have to spend and luck of the draw.

much more fun if everyone has access to every card and can make whatever deck they want without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a "competitive" deck.[/QUOTE]

If everyone had access to every card and could make whatever they wanted, everyone would make the same three decks.

So is there a Magic trading forum anywhere on CaG? Looked around a bit but didn't come up with one. Picked up another guild pack and snagged a few cards I don't need or want to get rid of I.E. Abrupt Decay.

if there's none here, anyone know a good site?

Just came back from mine. Went 1-3 with Radkos (and splashed a little green as a third color), although outside of the first loss, most of the losses were pretty close which is pretty good in my book considering I've only been playing for a little over a month. A few silly mistakes on my part, but that's to be expected.

Corpsejack Menace was a pretty popular card and was one of the two green cards I splashed (my three green mana were all dual lands so didn't affect me there much). I had a couple people who wanted my Overgrown Tomb though. :razz:

Crazy thing. I was unable to stick around for the draft (although I did see the draft itself). In one of the packs was a foiled Vraska the Unseen. What are the odds.

[quote name='Rasen']If everyone had access to every card and could make whatever they wanted, everyone would make the same three decks.[/QUOTE]
no they would make the decks that counter those three decks.
and then they would make the decks that counter the counter.
and so on.
except they wouldn't be out loadsadosh.

[quote name='crystalklear64']no they would make the decks that counter those three decks.
and then they would make the decks that counter the counter.
and so on.
except they wouldn't be out loadsadosh.[/QUOTE]

No they wouldn't. There's a reason why in Legacy, the same decks keep dominating the top spots. Because even those "counter" decks fail more often than they succeed. (So in a best 2 out of 3, that's a losing approach) Even if the "counter" deck does manage to eke out a victory, that deck had to be so specialized it's virtually useless against ANY other deck. You'd actually have a better chance of winning in a mirror match.

The closest thing to a fair environment is drafting. Anything constructed comes down to most popular deck type and money. And if you remove the money from the equation, then it's just the same decks.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back