[DEAD] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) $30 pre-order @ Newegg

This game is pretty much the ONLY reason I actually want a 3DS. Might finally have to take the plunge, thanks OP!

Sucks that the Metroidvania NDS games are amongst my favorite games of all time, and then MercuryCrap comes along to ruin the series. I want it to go back to NDS style. I will not be buying this poop.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']What's the consensus on this game? I thought I've been seeing negative reactions from game press.[/QUOTE]

There has been negative press around this game; however, there was also negative press around LoD and it has been one of my favorite games this generation.

Personally, I'm going to wait for more footage of the game to be released. The only info I've read has been from IGN and I don't trust their opinion at all, especially when it comes to a coveted franchise like Castlevania. I'm a HUGE Metroidvania fan, but I'm not against change if it's a GOOD game. I want to hear the Lord of Shadows story all the way through. But some people will never be happy with anything but another SotN clone.

For those worried about the Metroidvanias, I wouldn't worry too much. Konami has made it known that the Lord of Shadow games is a three part series. After that, the direction they take the franchise is up in the air. I'm personally hoping for some more Metroidvanias...but hoping Konami switches development to either the Vita or to XBLA/PSN. I really want a high rez, hand drawn Castlevania game.

might have to jump on this. this game is probably going to be pretty sweet. i thoroughly, and i mean thoroughly enjoyed Lords of Shadow.

[quote name='eXiON']This game is pretty much the ONLY reason I actually want a 3DS. Might finally have to take the plunge, thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Is this just a port of the 360/PS3 one? or something different entirely?

Either way, it's like you said, another exclusive for the 3DS that is making that thing a bit more attractive to me too. (Res Evil, Kid Icarus, etc.) :drool:

Now get on with a 2D Metroid and I will HAVE to buy this sucker. :bouncy:

[quote name='Madrocsz']In for one, great find op.

*note Newegg mobile shows sold out, use normal internet browser and can preorder[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I thought it was sold out. Thanks for posting this, and thanks OP!

[quote name='destro4eva']Is this just a port of the 360/PS3 one? or something different entirely?

Either way, it's like you said, another exclusive for the 3DS that is making that thing a bit more attractive to me too. (Res Evil, Kid Icarus, etc.) :drool:

Now get on with a 2D Metroid and I will HAVE to buy this sucker. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
Its set before LoS 2. It follows trevor belmet/simon belmont

[quote name='soundcell']Sucks that the Metroidvania NDS games are amongst my favorite games of all time, and then MercuryCrap comes along to ruin the series. I want it to go back to NDS style. I will not be buying this poop.[/QUOTE]Igarashi is the one that ruined the series.

[quote name='eXiON']This game is pretty much the ONLY reason I actually want a 3DS. Might finally have to take the plunge, thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Heh heh, yeah this along with several other games that were shown during Nintendo's main press conference and dedicated 3DS conference at E3 were the reasons I finally broke down and got a 3DS a couple of months ago when Target was having one of those $20 gift card with the purchase of a 3DS deals. But the announcement of this game along with LoS2 next year just before E3 is what really made me seriously consider and finally get a 3DS - I freaking loved LoS and although I almost never preorder games and generally don't by them for more than 50% of the original MSRP, usually much less, I know I'm going to play this as soon as I get it so it'll be worth it, especially for $10 off. :D

[quote name='destro4eva']Is this just a port of the 360/PS3 one? or something different entirely?

Now get on with a 2D Metroid and I will HAVE to buy this sucker. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

This is a completely different game that, like the other poster said, takes place between LoS and LoS2 coming next year for PS3, 360 and I suppose possibly Wii U, though I haven't heard anything regarding it being released for Wii U but I expect if Wii U sales are good during the holiday season particularly and beyond, it will be. So anyway, it would probably be good to have played through LoS if you haven't in order to understand the story for Mirror of Fate and while not entirely necessary, the 2 dlc chapters also expand upon the story though personally I don't think they were worth the $10 per pop in terms of the gameplay since I believe there were only 3-4 stages on the 1st chapter and 2-3 stages on the 2nd chapter and neither seemed as fun overall as the rest of the game. Also, like the other poster said, you will get to play as Trevor, Simon and also Alucard I believe during different time periods obviously, which I'm guessing will somehow lead up to circa a modern day time setting for most of LoS2, despite the more medieval European setting shown in the only trailer I've seen for LoS2...I'm guessing that's just setup clips from the intro sequence maybe.

Also, as far as gameplay is concerned, from the videos I've seen, it looks like there will be some mixture between the traditional Castlevania 2D gameplay elements and the LoS 3D gameplay, which will hopefully at least somewhat satisfy the LoS haters, who as with every other popular series, bitch about it because "it's not Metroidvania style, it's not traditional 2D "real" Castlevania, blah, blah, blah". Christ I've been gaming for about 28 years, grew up with the NES, loved the 2D Castlevania's on NES and SNES, loved SotN and the soon dubbed "Metroidvania" type games to follow and despite the complete commercial flop for the most part, I enjoyed the 3D Castlevania games on N64 and PS2; but I still don't understand these people that think hating any sort of change to a series, especially if it's a developer change god forbid, makes them "loyal" and/or "hardcore" fans of the series...that's pretty lame IMO. :booty:

Last edited by a moderator:

It's set after the events of Lords of Shadow but before the upcoming sequel.

Supposedly there will be 4 playable characters, so far we know Trevor/Simon Belmont will be playable, along with Alucard. Different timelines, but they'll connect all in someway.

[quote name='JanusDS']Heh heh, yeah this along with several other games that were shown during Nintendo's main press conference and dedicated 3DS conference at E3 were the reasons I finally broke down and got a 3DS a couple of months ago when Target was having one of those $20 gift card with the purchase of a 3DS deals.
[/QUOTE]Agreed, been itching to try out RE:R but couldn't pull the trigger and buy a 3DS so early. So I'm figuring I'll either wait until another good deal pops up or buy one in BF.

Speaking of the 3DS, with the XL coming out, do u think will Nintendo ever do a dual controller/joystick set up on this thing or will they just go along with the add on attachment that's already out? That's another thing that kinda worries me about this system.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='destro4eva']Speaking of the 3DS, with the XL coming out, do u think will Nintendo ever do a dual controller/joystick set up on this thing or will they just go along with the add on attachment that's already out? That's another thing that kinda worries me about this system.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it as they don't want to split their audience with two very different systems, sadly. They're actually making an attachment for the 3DS XL for the second analog stick, so yeah it's gonna be even bigger with it attached. =P

So can someone describe to me what this game is. I seen some parts to it that supposedly have heavy exploring to it like a metroidvania, other shots that have this at a more action like focus.

I am trying to figure out what exactly this game is a mix of before I decide to preorder it. I never played LOS but that's because it looked like a GoW type game and well that's not my thing.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So can someone describe to me what this game is. I seen some parts to it that supposedly have heavy exploring to it like a metroidvania, other shots that have this at a more action like focus.

I am trying to figure out what exactly this game is a mix of before I decide to preorder it. I never played LOS but that's because it looked like a GoW type game and well that's not my thing.[/QUOTE]
I watched this interview he talks a lot about both games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYJ-qA72Ss

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So can someone describe to me what this game is. I seen some parts to it that supposedly have heavy exploring to it like a metroidvania, other shots that have this at a more action like focus.

I am trying to figure out what exactly this game is a mix of before I decide to preorder it. I never played LOS but that's because it looked like a GoW type game and well that's not my thing.[/QUOTE]
From 2:19 on he talks about mirror of fate if you're that interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYJ-qA72Ss\

Thanks OP wasn't gonna pre-order this but for $30 I guess you can't go wrong.

Played the demo at ComicCon and had fun with it. Plays like the DS Castlevania games but with better combos. Seriously considering picking it up

Can't wait. Always been a Castlevania fan. While I was hoping for another Metroidvania, I highly doubt this game will disappoint. I liked the GBA games, especially Aria of Sorrow. Loved Dawn of Sorrow, and the other two DS games were good too. Enjoyed Lords of Shadow a whole lot, so of course I'll be getting the second one. The only 'vania games I didn't care for were the original GB ones, and of course the N64 ones..

bread's done
Back