CAGcast #293: Wombat’s Summer Job

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]CheapyD is out-of-touch with popular chicken restaurants, Shipwreck doesn't love Deadlight, and Wombat recalls his favorite summer job.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]202[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 30 minutes, 54MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Get your free audiobook at Audible![/preview]

Sorry, all codes are gone!

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Dating Game Theme / 8-4 Play Podcast

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.. after looking up some screens, I'm interested in checking out Death Rally if a code is still available.

[quote name='mowmow']Maybe it's just me but I can't wait to hear/read about what people will say about the Hawaii comment[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what the big deal is. Hawaii is the closest destination to Japan that is also reasonably accessible from the East coast, where my parents live. I took my family there twice and we all decided we wanted to go somewhere different for our family get together. Also, it's really hot there so it's not exactly a great Summer destination.

Great show, as always. If there's any left, I'll take death rally for the PC or foosball for the PS3. Thanks!

CheapyD shouldn't have started with season 3, but I can see why he doesn't like the show that much. But does it mean he actually likes the Big Bang Theory? My brain actually shuts off when watching that show, even with nerd jokes.

My worlds just collided. You guys were talking about toilets while I was on the toilet. Now that is incredible! No idea what Wombat does with that front piece though.

Foosball Vita code still around? No? Oh well.

"Chicken Fill" LOL

Wombat's TDKR impressions were spot on. Personally, the second movie is my fave in the trilogy.

[quote name='CheapyD']No more codes left
[/QUOTE]

random drawing for the next giveaway please...

Listening to you guys argue about semantics for the word "incredible" was so painful. Especially since the word that was actually used last week was "exceptional."

No, last week Cheapy didn't compare the games on the 3DS to the iPhone, but in the past he has, many times (mostly when talking about price points). These devices just don't play the same types of games. Would you compare free flash games on the PC to games that cost more, like Assassin's Creed? If people want those experiences on their portable systems then they will pay more. If not, they won't. You want those experiences on the PC so you pay more. It's the same thing!

Edit: If it matters, I have neither a Vita nor a 3DS, but I can see the appeal for gamers, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipwreck, you do realize that PSN Play is only in it's second year right? You make it sound like it's been going since it's release. And last year, I think you could make a debate about whether it was better than Summer of Arcade. Renegade Ops alone was better than anything else Summer of Arcade had last year...

Also, I want more "exceptional" DS talk. It made me laugh again, even if it did have Cheapy, yet again, dismiss it as incredible based off the graphics. Hey Cheapy, how are the games on the Iphone? Oh yeah, they are pretty much garbage. Thus, the Iphone is not exceptional/incredible. I mean, since all it takes is one argument against a device....

It's a good idea to watch the first two Batman movies again before seeing TKDR. I watched most of them again by channel flicking between TNT and TBS the night before seeing it in IMAX, and I was really glad I did.

I never got into Community which is kind of weird because I think Joel McHale is awesome, and the two main female cast members are really good looking.

[quote name='Backlash']Listening to you guys argue about semantics for the word "incredible" was so painful. Especially since the word that was actually used last week was "exceptional."
[/QUOTE]

This.
It was like listening to a 100 level philosophy discussion.
Glad they backpedaled out of it before too long.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Shipwreck, you do realize that PSN Play is only in it's second year right? You make it sound like it's been going since it's release. And last year, I think you could make a debate about whether it was better than Summer of Arcade. Renegade Ops alone was better than anything else Summer of Arcade had last year...[/QUOTE]

I said in the past Sony should have something to compete against Summer of Arcade before they finally came out with PSN Play. Now I give them props for something and you are complaining that I say something positive about Sony. Also, Renegade Ops came out the same week for both PSN and XBLA so not exactly a killer promotion there.

[quote name='CheapyD']I don't understand what the big deal is. Hawaii is the closest destination to Japan that is also reasonably accessible from the East coast, where my parents live. I took my family there twice and we all decided we wanted to go somewhere different for our family get together. Also, it's really hot there so it's not exactly a great Summer destination.[/QUOTE]

I think the issue was with how snobby you came across saying it. For one, there was no context to how many times you have gone there as a family. The tone you took sounded like you go there every year and are bored with it. It made me imagine you in a private hangar, with a robe and pipe, debating which jet to take out and where your destination would be. “Paris is so nice this time of year, but the tourists truly are detestable.”

[quote name='LiK']random drawing for the next giveaway please...[/QUOTE]Random drawing for CAGcast prizes work better than first come, first served. Podcasters frequently forget the podcasts audience downloads at different times and listens when they get a chance. In their mind, the show is up and live but this isn't radio.

Wombat said he doesn't have Origin but must've forgot he does. EA forced everyone to get an account to play Mass Effect 3 online. Another reason people hate that EA makes them play on their servers instead of Xbox LIVE's.

[quote name='shipwreck']I said in the past Sony should have something to compete against Summer of Arcade before they finally came out with PSN Play. Now I give them props for something and you are complaining that I say something positive about Sony. Also, Renegade Ops came out the same week for both PSN and XBLA so not exactly a killer promotion there.[/QUOTE]

You're right, they should have had a promotion of their own. But the way you made it sound (at least to me), is that Sony finally released some games that were on par or better with Microsoft's promotion as if PSN Play was an annual thing before last year. And with that comment, it sounded like you dismissed what they had done last year, when according to Metacritic, they should be considered about equal. I guess backhanded compliments are still positive, but still...

This is what Sony did last year. They released 4 games the same week they were available on XBLA. Even with added bonuses of themes/Home items that's not exactly a promotion to beat your chest over. They also gave away Payday: The Heist if you bought all 4 games. I think I said something last year along the lines of "At least they tried".

This year they have 2 exclusives, 1 timed exclusive, and 1 game that comes out at the same time on XBLA. Plus they are offering cash vouchers back for buying as little as two of the games. It's a much better promotion this year.

[quote name='mruk63']CheapyD the Mitt Romney of the CAG Cast.[/QUOTE]CheapyD got four deferrals to get out of fighting in Vietnam?

Cheapy calling your viewership and/or Americans stupid is getting annoying as I direct you to the comment.

"Cause well most Americans think the whole world is on the same clock."

The funniest part is the irony in Cheapy's statement about Community being too smug for him. (Personally I don't watch the show and could care less about it, but the point stands.) like really? That's too smug for you, but the majority of America doesn't know what a fucking time zone is?

And the way you lawyer'd out of being wrong last weeks episode by claiming the argument was about an adjective. Are you serious? There is no way you got into an argument last week about an adjective. People don't get angry because they hear what they want to hear, they get angry because of this BS ^

I'm not angry about it, you're not gonna hear any death threats from me, I just think that lately you've been acting like a smug asshole and need someone to tell you that, but far be it from me to be that person. Who am I? Just a stupid american that uses "incredible" in place of "very good" and doesn't know what a time-zone is.

Iphone, 3DS, Vita. I realize there are 2 types of people, the ones who want simple quick distractions to play on their phones and the ones that want full console type experiences on their handhelds. So I don't get upset when someone complains about either.

I personally have more time to play handhelds these days than I do my consoles so a game like Uncharted (Vita) or Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) is something I want to play and a welcome change.

Cheapy, I think the hate stems from 2 things when it comes to handhelds. You prefer the iphone experience so you feel the need to mention it every time anything is said about the VITA and the 3DS and the quick dismissal of games on those platforms (let's say Uncharted for Vita). Uncharted Vita may not be "as good" as the console versions but to me it's pretty damn good comparatively. Not to mention RE: Revelations is a better game than Resident Evil 5 was. I understand you like the big screen better but there is some really great stuff out there for handhelds and it shouldn't be glossed over.

As always thanks for another great CAGcast.

I'm listening to the CAGcast now and enjoying it so far. About the use of the word "incredible", it seems to me that Cheapy was trying to make a point about the misapplication of the word especially in the case of the 3Dsxl. Wombat, I believe that Cheapy is correct on this one. Look at the way the word "Amazing" has been overused in the last several years - it's this era's version of "Awesome".
Keep up the interesting podcasts, guys.

I also enjoy watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi, it was really interesting. But it seem a little bit too pricey for me.

I look forward to Wombat explaining to Cheapy next week why his Hawaii comments were so funny. It will be hilarious and awkward.
Also, it was funny when Cheapy and Wombat were arguing and they threw Shipwreck in the middle to settle it.

The pause after Cheapy asked him whether the graphics on the 3DS were "incredible" seemed to go on forever.

Cheapy should have ended the show with the theme from this 80s classic.

f5yqmdtleyhfy5mh.jpg

I love how Cheapy said he wasn't comparing the iPhone to the 3DS, and then immediately goes on to compare the two things to make his point before Wombat stopped him. We get it. You don't like the Vita/3DS. Enough already. The horse is dead. You don't need to keep beating him.

Give me an actual Foosball table. With ping-pong balls

Hawaii? All the listeners are made cause you are not giving your parents a break! Meet in Ronkonkoma it is closer to your parents! Give them a break, they are getting old!

Sick bro!

bread's done
Back