Torchlight 2

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
torchlight_2.jpg

The official Release Date for Torchlight II is Thursday, September 20th, 2012

Preorders are available with different bonus' available depending on your retailer for $19.99. Steam is offering Torchlight 1 free with your preorder, and are also offering their bulk 4-pack of T2 for $59.99.

From the Wiki

Torchlight II is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by Runic Games. It is the sequel to Runic's 2009 ARPG, Torchlight, and features peer-to-peer multiplayer support and extended modding capabilities. A release for Mac OS is planned for some time after the PC release. Runic Games originally estimated the PC version's release date to be sometime in 2011, but in November 2011 company president Travis Baldree announced the game release date would be pushed back to 2012 to allow time for further polishing and a beta test.

Gameplay

Like the original Torchlight, Torchlight II will feature randomly-generated dungeons for the player to explore, and numerous types of monsters to fight for experience and loot. Torchlight II maintains the same basic gameplay as its predecessor, but features overland areas with multiple hub towns, and a longer campaign. Other new features include time of day cycles, weather effects, and a redesigned user interface. Players will be able to customize character appearance with choice of sex, face, and hair style. Additionally, several elements from the first game will be returning, such as pets, fishing, and a retirement system.

Character classes

The game will feature four playable character classes. The Engineer (formerly known as the Railman) is a heavy melee fighter who uses ember-powered steampunk technology; the Outlander is a wandering nomad who uses ranged weapons and "low magic". The Berserker uses quick attacks and animal-themed special powers, and the Embermage is a highly trained spell-casting class with elemental attacks. The three classes from the original Torchlight do not return as playable characters, although they are present in the game world as NPCs.

Multiplayer

As stated in the trailer for Torchlight 2, Runic games have announced that they "heard their [the fans'] pleas" and criticism concerning the fact that Torchlight was a lonely experience without co-op. In addition to single-player mode, an all-new cooperative multiplayer mode has been promised, supporting both internet and LAN play. Runic has not yet decided on the maximum number of players per game, but Runic co-founder Max Schaefer stated that in their testing, groups of 2-4 players gave the best experience.

Preview Trailer
[youtube]ejqCZw4Mua4[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike D3, TL2 will have full mod support so I expect it to have a much longer shelf life than D3 and plus it doesn't have always online drm

[quote name='kijib']Unlike D3, TL2 will have full mod support so I expect it to have a much longer shelf life than D3 and plus it doesn't have always online drm[/QUOTE]

Those weren't even the issues with D3. The game was just not fun. They promoted playing by yourself and the itemization was fucking awful. All the mod support in the world couldn't save that mess.

[quote name='SEH']Those weren't even the issues with D3. The game was just not fun. They promoted playing by yourself and the itemization was fucking awful. All the mod support in the world couldn't save that mess.[/QUOTE]
mod out the unfun.

checkmate.

as for torchlight 2, well i own torchlight and i played for about (edit: checked steam, 11 minutes!) before deciding that just about every other diablo clone including diablo itself, was more engaging. t2 looks to be very similar just with multiplayer, and the classes do not appeal to me. also while the art direction is consistent for the series, i do not care for it. given the many alternatives i just can;t see myself playing this unless some spectacular mods appear that change the feel of the game.

i would like to like it, but all signs point to it not being for me.

Played TL2 beta and really enjoyed it. I was hoping it'd come out before school starts but I don't think that's going to happen.

I've got several friends who have this preordered already. So it's looking like I'll have groups to play with. I pulled all that info off the Wiki, so I dont know how accurate it is, but I'm hoping the max party size will be 6. 4 just isnt enough IMO cause you occasionally end up with a 5th person unable to play, but 8 seems like it'd be too much going on at once.

you know ill end up buying this when it has a firm release date... i just dont buy things that dont have a rls date as its just a waste of time.

If it comes out anywhere near borderlands 2 i probably wont bother picking it up for several months anyway as that will take up my time.

I dont know what the release issues with torchlight 2 are but they sure as hell missed a golden opportunity to beat the pants off diablo 3 which I own and is a terrible terrible game. Talk about a major F-up imo.

[quote name='crystalklear64']
as for torchlight 2, well i own torchlight and i played for about (edit: checked steam, 11 minutes!) before deciding that just about every other diablo clone including diablo itself, was more engaging. t2 looks to be very similar just with multiplayer, and the classes do not appeal to me. also while the art direction is consistent for the series, i do not care for it. given the many alternatives i just can;t see myself playing this unless some spectacular mods appear that change the feel of the game.
[/QUOTE]
I played the the torchlight 2 beta and loved it. Then I went played torchlight 1 for the first time and didn't really care for it. I feel like the two games play differently, torchlight 1 felt grinddy, probably because all the environments, enemies, ect... where very similar. I didn't get that feeling from tourchlight 2 at all.

[quote name='Morphx2']its cool waughoo, keep playing games that your other friends dont play![/QUOTE]

I kinda have to pick games where if I have to suddenly leave for 5-10 minutes, it doesnt screw everyone else over. Thats part of why I was in D3, so I could just TP back to town when I'm needed elsewhere.

[quote name='crystalklear64']as for torchlight 2, well i own torchlight and i played for about (edit: checked steam, 11 minutes!)[/QUOTE]
I'll raise you 27 hours. At least that's all I put into it to beat it. Even D3 got 200 hours of play or more from me. I can safely wait until it's on sale for $2.50 or something.

[quote name='crystalklear64']well i am avoiding it based solely on #1 so thats the first ive heard of it not looking like 1.[/QUOTE]
It still has the same graphics style, there just seem to be a wider variety in the of things to see in the beta. The whole outdoors thing gave much more of an exploring feel, the level design felt more like titan's quest to me.

I'd recommend trying out the demo when the game comes out.

Graphics can be modded out anyhow. T1 had a few really good retextures. I'm curious how the game will handle mods yet still allow multiplayer though.

They are getting close to releasing T2.
Here is the 'not a blog redux' on the status of the game. The guy who does these updates had laid out a basic plan on what they are trying to get finished before release. He finished up skill trees, and now is helping out with Act III polishing. Act I and II are done already. I think they said 'polishing' is basically just working on the bosses and mini bosses in each act. After Act III all they have left is IV and they should be ready to release.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Summer 2012 my ass. This shit needs to come out already![/QUOTE]

Summer ends September 21st, so they're still in their window.

I know its technically Summer, but I really don't consider the end of September "Summer". Also, I was going to pick this up, but unfortunately for them they decided two days after Borderlands 2 was a good idea, so yeah, I'll be waiting as I'll be playing BL2.

[quote name='Waughoo']The official Release Date for Torchlight II is Thursday, September 20th, 2012[/QUOTE]
Ouch. Hope they make their money in the first week because sales will nosedive a week later. I know I wouldn't waste the money on it with Borderlands 2 coming out right after it.

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch. Hope they make their money in the first week because sales will nosedive a week later. I know I wouldn't waste the money on it with Borderlands 2 coming out right after it.[/QUOTE]

BL2 comes out before it actually. Two days before.

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch. Hope they make their money in the first week because sales will nosedive a week later. I know I wouldn't waste the money on it with Borderlands 2 coming out right after it.[/QUOTE]

Same I would have waited for a sale because I'll probably be busy with other stuff until Feb 2013.

[quote name='SEH']BL2 comes out before it actually. Two days before.[/QUOTE]
Oh duh, I don't know why I thought it comes out the 25th.

honestly they should not have even bothered. Borderlands 2 is going to dominate sales to the point that all the new release hype it would have gotten at most other times is gone.

whomever is in charge is A) an idiot and going to tank his company and B) should be fired.

I guess they felt making good on a promise was more important than making money. I can respect that, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are already burned out by D3 and BL2 is so overhyped it will just kill them.

[quote name='Jodou']I guess they felt making good on a promise was more important than making money. I can respect that, but it still doesn't change the fact that people are already burned out by D3 and BL2 is so overhyped it will just kill them.[/QUOTE]

Whats stupid is yeah, they're technically making good on a promise, but c'mon, who the fuck considers the end of September "summer"?

[quote name='SEH']Whats stupid is yeah, they're technically making good on a promise, but c'mon, who the fuck considers the end of September "summer"?[/QUOTE]

wikipedia... encyclopedias... calendars...planet earths tilt (southward equinox is the end of summer) human history... etc etc.

[quote name='retrad']wikipedia... encyclopedias... calendars...planet earths tilt (southward equinox is the end of summer) human history... etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, technically. Pretty sure the majority of people consider Summer to be June, July, and August, usually when the kids are out of school. Its cool that they hit their goal by releasing the game one day before Summer ends, but all they've really done is screw themselves over.

You know the majority of people probably have no clue that summer runs until late September... so you are making a losing argument at least with me. Depending on who you polled I doubt 50% of Americans could either tell you the date and be within two weeks of when Summer ends or what is used to determine the date of the change of seasons.

Obviously the responses you would get would vary wildly depending on whether you polled at a graduate school or at the mall.

[quote name='retrad']You know the majority of people probably have no clue that summer runs until late September... so you are making a losing argument at least with me.[/QUOTE]

...That's my entire point. While its technically Summer, most probably don't consider late September Summer. I don't really know what else to say at this point as I believe I've made myself and my point perfectly clear, though it seems to have gone completely over your head.

[quote name='SEH']...That's my entire point. While its technically Summer, most probably don't consider late September Summer. I don't really know what else to say at this point as I believe I've made myself and my point perfectly clear, though it seems to have gone completely over your head.[/QUOTE]

no my point is that stupid peoples opinions do not count which went over your head. the people who dont know when summer actually ends probably will be mad all the way up until oooh something shiny... wait what was I talking about again?

exactly.

So, because most people probably don't consider September 20th Summer, that makes them stupid?

When they announced a Summer release, a lot of people got excited because generally the Summer is pretty slow as far as game releases go. Putting this out in July or something would've given a bunch of people something great to play. Putting this out at the end of September, while still technically Summer, really is a dumb idea as you're now starting to fight the fall gaming lineup. People are going to care about your game a lot less when they have more options to choose from.

Done arguing with you though as you clearly refuse to see anything from a different view. You're right and I guess I'm a retard for not really considering the end of September to be Summer.

After the huge letdown that was Diablo III (I was done after about a month), I'm really looking forward to this game. The only problem is that it will be battling with Borderlands 2 for my increasingly rare gaming time.

Yeah, seems like everyone is getting BL2. I'd really like it, but we're broke. I barely got enough money to buy TL2.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't give a fuck about BL2. I've kind of been losing my passion for games, but hopefully co-op in this will spark my interests again.

Excited for BL2 but I got this way back when the preorders first started. Add me on Steam if you want to play.

BREVITY_

I've been playing my review copy since last night and I am still not sure how I feel about this... Feels like something is missing but I can't put my finger on it.

bread's done
Back