Neo Geo X - Handheld $200

Richard Kain

CAGiversary!
Neo Geo X - handheld to be released this year for $200

The Neo Geo is getting a bit of retro love this year in the form of a handheld re-release of the original system. The company behind this production, Blaze, is known for re-releasing classic retro hardware in different forms. In the past, they have released officially licensed Sega Genesis controllers pre-loaded with classic Sega titles, and other similar products. This time, they are partnering with SNK-Playmore to release a handheld version of the venerable Neo Geo hardware.

With an initial $200 price point, it is hard to see this handheld competing seriously with modern handhelds consoles. It will likely have inferior hardware power to the 3DS or Vita, while having a price point that makes it seem a bit excessive. This is at least consistent with the original Neo Geo AES home system, which was also very expensive when it came out. For the general consumer, I can't really see this handheld catching on.

For the Neo Geo enthusiast, this could be a much better deal. The initial release package is going to come with a charging dock for the handheld that is shaped to resemble the original home system hardware. It will also come with a controller that looks to be a fairly accurate replica of the original home system's default controller. The handheld will also be able to connect to modern TVs using a built-in HDMI port, allowing for seamless Neo Geo play on HD screens. Moreover, the handheld will come pre-loaded with close to twenty Neo Geo games.

It is very hard to find legitimate means of playing classic Neo Geo games in a cost-effective fashion. AES systems are quite pricey, and even MVS arcade boards tend to go for $100 - $200 each. And don't even get me started on Neo Geo cartridges. Then there's also the problems in getting Neo Geos to work with modern televisions. Most modified systems go for close to $500+. For someone who just wants to play some classic Neo Geo on modern displays, this $200 handheld is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Richard Kain']It is very hard to find legitimate means of playing classic Neo Geo games in a cost-effective fashion.[/QUOTE]

Sure there is. Metal Slug, KOF, AOF, Fatal Fury, Samuari Shodown, and World Heroes all have collection disks. And if you have the means to play imports you have access to games like Kizuna Encounter and the Sunsoft Collection. The collections don't run for much and while you're not playing it on Neo Geo hardware they're legit. Not to mention all the XBLA and PSN releases of these games that have online access.

[quote name='Rodimus']Sure there is. Metal Slug, KOF, AOF, Fatal Fury, Samuari Shodown, and World Heroes all have collection disks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, most of these collections have questionable emulation. Also, not all of these collections are available on systems that run HDMI natively. If I'm not mistaken, the import option is probably better. Japanese developers tend to take compilation collections like this more seriously. Unfortunately, I don't think that this generation has seen very many collections of this type for current-gen systems. I'm pretty sure these collection discs were much more common for the PS2 and XBox.

After doing a little research, I've found that all of the collection discs you describe are for the Wii, the PS2, or the PSP. None of those systems supports HDMI. And acquiring all of those systems would be necessary in order to get all of those discs. (as some of those collections are particular to specific platforms) And of course, this still leaves several gaping holes in any Neo Geo collection, as these collections only focus on specific franchises.

At the end of the day, none of these options is really optimized for modern display hardware. For a more authentic Neo Geo experience, I'm still thinking this Neo Geo X is looking pretty good.

I was just listing alternative way to play these on the cheap. I have all of these (except Metal Slug Anthology) on the PS2 and they look fine through my component cables. (As fine as 18+ year old graphics can look) As for the emulation I've never ran into a problem but I'm sure the purest could find errors.

I appreciate the heads up on the collections. But I've never trusted PS2's component output. It only gives you actual 480p in a very small minority of titles. I think I actually have the Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii. (you know your collections getting a little too big when you aren't sure whether or not you have a game) Component and 480p support on the Wii is generally much better.

It would be good to hear exactly how they plan on selling additional games for this Neo Geo X.

One of the big draws for me is that they are actually going through SNK for this thing. Technically, it qualifies as an official Neo Geo product. The replica console/charging station and arcade controller are a very nice touch for collectors. I am curious to find out if the arcade stick is going to be wireless. Being able to use this thing as a console at home would make it more worth while in my mind.

Never owned any of the Neo Geo consoles/handhelds. I have only played an actual Neo Geo machine through the arcades a long time ago.

Metal Slug and Bust-a-Move were the only two games I spent quarters playing, in one those multi-game Neo Geo stand up arcade cabinets.

I might get this Neo Geo X if it turns out to be worth the $200. I already have most of the PS2 collections of Neo Geo games like Metal Slug Anthology.

Not really familiar with Blaze. I have only played with those "plug-and-play" toys made by Radica and Jakks Pacific. I'm guessing this Neo Geo X will be a step-up from those.

I'll probably bite at launch but I'll be pissed if we don't get some of the harder to find Neo Geo titles. It's one thing to stick KOF '95 on the system; if you really want to get my attention, throw Blazing Star or Ninja Masters on it.

Has anyone heard how multi player will work yet? Can two people play on one system? Will the portables have wireless com? Will they sell extra 2P controllers? With all the great fighting games, it would be a shame if you couldn't fight your friends in local matches. Samurai Showdown 2 FTW.

I really want one of these - never owned a Neo Geo console before...

Just saw this:

2 Player play on all compatible games when the NEOGEO X Handheld is connected to the NEOGEO X Station! (2nd Joystick sold seperately)

I'm sold. No one's taking preorders yet...

[quote name='OrangeArmy']Just saw this:

2 Player play on all compatible games when the NEOGEO X Handheld is connected to the NEOGEO X Station! (2nd Joystick sold seperately)

I'm sold. No one's taking preorders yet...[/QUOTE]

I've been watching for preorder too, nothing yet. Will probably pick one up at release if it looks OK.

EDIT: Preorder page is up on GameStop:

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/neo-geo-x-gold/104733

Can't find other options yet. Also if you preorder, you get a Ninja Master's game card, in addition to the 20 preloaded games. See link for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so excited when I saw this only to be very disappointed. It looks like a neat little thing to own, but what I've always wanted was reproductions of classic systems that contained the same exact hardware as well as reproductions of the games on cartridge or disc.

Like Nintendo rereleasing the Super Nintendo for $100-$250 and games for $15-$40. They probably wouldn't get huge sales so the higher prices are there to accomodate and they may only be able to sell it online or through their own online store. It would be great to have the original hardware live on, able to play your existing games, and rereleases. The least they could do is rerelease the original controllers.

[quote name='J7.']I was so excited when I saw this only to be very disappointed. It looks like a neat little thing to own, but what I've always wanted was reproductions of classic systems that contained the same exact hardware as well as reproductions of the games on cartridge or disc.

The least they could do is rerelease the original controllers.[/QUOTE]

Getting an exact hardware replica of the AES wouldn't make much sense. There are already a hefty number of AES consoles out there. Producing an exact reproduction would drastically lower their collector value, and collectors would be the only ones interested in a system as out-of-date as the original NEO GEO. So the only people who would be interested in buying the re-produced version are also the ones most likely to be pissed off by a re-release of the original hardware.

An "homage" like the Neo Geo X is a good compromise. It takes hardware powerful enough to run original Neo Geo games, and puts it into a form factor that would be useful and convenient for modern gamers. The "dock" they are including is a very nice nod to the original hardware, and they are even bringing back a very close re-creation of the original controller. The primary difference is that these new controllers will likely connect via USB ports. Of course, that probably means you will be able to use them with a PC as well. (bonus)

They just released some pictures of how the dock actually works. You don't mount the portable in the cartridge slot, as I had originally believed. The dock opens up from the top, and you slot the portable into a space designed just for it, then close the top. That's actually kind of cool.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Getting an exact hardware replica of the AES wouldn't make much sense. There are already a hefty number of AES consoles out there. Producing an exact reproduction would drastically lower their collector value, and collectors would be the only ones interested in a system as out-of-date as the original NEO GEO. So the only people who would be interested in buying the re-produced version are also the ones most likely to be pissed off by a re-release of the original hardware.

An "homage" like the Neo Geo X is a good compromise. It takes hardware powerful enough to run original Neo Geo games, and puts it into a form factor that would be useful and convenient for modern gamers. The "dock" they are including is a very nice nod to the original hardware, and they are even bringing back a very close re-creation of the original controller. The primary difference is that these new controllers will likely connect via USB ports. Of course, that probably means you will be able to use them with a PC as well. (bonus)

They just released some pictures of how the dock actually works. You don't mount the portable in the cartridge slot, as I had originally believed. The dock opens up from the top, and you slot the portable into a space designed just for it, then close the top. That's actually kind of cool.[/QUOTE]
I should have clarified that my post was in general, not specifically for an exact Neo Geo but rather an exact NES, SNES, N64, Saturn, PS1. I'd pay a high premium for a new one of those released alongside them rereleasing the actual games on cartridge/disc at a premium. I could see people paying $100-$200 for a brand new SNES and $20-$60 for new games.

Not when I can buy a working SNES for way less than that. NES maybe, just because the originals had issues that could now be fixed. I remember as a kid getting light headed from blowing on those cartridges.

Yeah, I'm not paying $100 for an SNES, especially when the VC exists. If it were $50, definitely.

It's kinda hard to get a Neo Geo, especially the MVS and the joysticks, but at $200 it's fair enough with the gold package. Besides, Tommo decided to make it a Linux system of all things, so I'm also interested in seeing what homebrewers can do with the OS as well.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking of. No one is going to pay near to the original price for what is just a simple reproduction of the original hardware for a classic system. If I really want an original SNES, I can buy a used one for $60 or less. And a lot of the original cartridges can be had for $15 or less. (depending on rarity) A simple reproduction just isn't going to cut it in terms of value. Not when it has an existing collectors market to compete against.

Now, if they released a new mini-SNES that took DS-style cartridges and had HDMI output, I would be willing consider a collectors edition like that. Another possibility would be to release a hardware configuration that never made it to the US. I would love to see a reproduction Famicom, with collectors editions of US-release games, but in the original Famicom cartridge form-factor. That would be a pretty sweet collectors edition.

Well ya I wouldn't pay say $200 for a brand new SNES but I know that others would and that would easily justify Nintendo rereleasing it. I'd wait for a price drop and pick it up at $100 tops. Original SNES won't last much longer, you can't get a nice new controller in perfect condition (1st party that doesn't suck), and you have to pay over a hundred for a lot of it's best games in new condition, while some cost thousands. People would easily pay $60 for Chrono Trigger or Earthbound (if they fixed the copyright cultural references somehow).

The higher prices vs Virtual Console games would allow them to justify rereleasing them because of the higher profit margins. The cartridges could be for all intents and purposes internally the size of a DS game with the proper metal connections to interface with the SNES and the full SNES plastic size.

I bit on the $200 set. I mean, SNK hasn't ever really let me down in terms of... well, anything.

Plus I've been rocking this avatar since I started here and I guess I should put my money where my mouth is.

This is also an easier option than modding my AES and/or CD system to output in HD.

For those of us who grew up gaming in the 80s and 90s, and who couldn't afford the huge price tag for the neo geo system, let alone $200 for each game, this system is pure retro heaven.

I'm in for 1.

[quote name='Halo05']
This is also an easier option than modding my AES and/or CD system to output in HD.[/QUOTE]

This is actually one of the reasons why I'm excited for this release. I did some research into how much it would cost to either mod an original Neo Geo system or arcade board, or buy one pre-modded. Either of those options will run you in excess of $200. Most of the custom pre-modded models you can get go for around $500 - $600. Even the cheapest option, an MVS board and a couple of arcade cartridges, would most likely cost me around $200. (and that's taking into consideration that I already have a Super-Gun setup)

This option comes with 20 games and has HDMI support built-in. The deciding factors for me are going to be the built-in scaling options, as well as the build quality. I want my pixel-perfect scaling. A scan-line filter would also be nice, but is not a requirement.

[quote name='Richard Kain']This is actually one of the reasons why I'm excited for this release. I did some research into how much it would cost to either mod an original Neo Geo system or arcade board, or buy one pre-modded. Either of those options will run you in excess of $200. Most of the custom pre-modded models you can get go for around $500 - $600. Even the cheapest option, an MVS board and a couple of arcade cartridges, would most likely cost me around $200. (and that's taking into consideration that I already have a Super-Gun setup)

This option comes with 20 games and has HDMI support built-in. The deciding factors for me are going to be the built-in scaling options, as well as the build quality. I want my pixel-perfect scaling. A scan-line filter would also be nice, but is not a requirement.[/QUOTE]

I have several Neo Geo home cart systems, most games on cart for AES and MVS as well (but no arcade cabinet or consolized MVS, sadly). Even with all that, I've preordered the Neo Geo X Gold system and one extra arcade stick. I'm excited about the release and hope they will come out with new game cards at launch or shortly thereafter.

One thing that would be really cool would be if they came out with new game cards in small clamshell cases, using artwork from the original AES releases. Cases like those for Vita games would work great for this, although it looks like future games would just come on cards like the Ninja Master's one.

Hoping for more info on new game cards soon, I'd certainly get all the Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown games, among many others!

[quote name='screwkick']For those of us who grew up gaming in the 80s and 90s, and who couldn't afford the huge price tag for the neo geo system, let alone $200 for each game, this system is pure retro heaven.

I'm in for 1.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying. I remember the jc penny Christmas catalog when I was a kid. Nintendo and sega were the intro games followed by Turbo Grafix. Then on the next page was the stuff you never thought really existed. NEO GEO..... What was the consoles original price? 600? And 100-200 per cartridge? lol Really takes me back though. I will buy it once amazon gets it down 30-40%.

Im a huge Neo Geo fan & did own the AES when it first came out. Then later The CDZ & then the pocket.
I had reg intrest as soon as it was announced. Plus pre ordered it from funstock. If as shown the joystick is made as the AES one except slightly smaller base then it will be one best sticks around. Hopefully it sells well & they make more games for it. Or release gunlord etc

Long live SNK

Do you guys think there'll be a good chance that the more recent Neo Geo games will be released on the NGX? Stuff like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The Last Blade and the later KOF games?

Considering they're going to actually sell the games on cards, and flash memory is cheap. It'll be pretty likely. Besides, Garou is on the Xbox, Last Blade 1&2 is on the Wii VC. I wouldn't really play any KoF games after '98. What I really want to play is Sengoku 3.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Do you guys think there'll be a good chance that the more recent Neo Geo games will be released on the NGX? Stuff like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The Last Blade and the later KOF games?[/QUOTE]

I don't have any confidence in this company that has still not even released the system.

Somebody on the net claims to have hacked the Neo Geo X, allowing the user to run unlicensed roms like Andro Duno. I guess people keep forgetting that the damn thing runs Linux and this was going to happen sooner or later. I'm not concerned so much about the ability of being able to use custom bios, but more with what else the hackers can do. Can the X one day be able to become a cheap HTPC?

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Somebody on the net claims to have hacked the Neo Geo X, allowing the user to run unlicensed roms like Andro Duno.[/QUOTE]

Hacking a portable system is a worst thing for the gamer. But NEO GEO X is made such a way that the gamer need to rename for an unauthorized ROM which is brings the most safety for the NEO GEO but its new ROM is hacked, I can’t believe such a horrible news. IF it actually happened, hacker will again prove the invincible of the hacker’s approach. It may be happen because when we start to play during playing the gamer information may be remain at cash memory at this time may be hacker chase the cash memory and find out the way to hack it.

[quote name='marcorubio']

hacking a portable system is a worst thing for the gamer. But neo geo x is made such a way that the gamer need to rename for an unauthorized rom which is brings the most safety for the neo geo but its new rom is hacked, i can’t believe such a horrible news. If it actually happened, hacker will again prove the invincible of the hacker’s approach. It may be happen because when we start to play during playing the gamer information may be remain at cash memory at this time may be hacker chase the cash memory and find out the way to hack it. [/quote]

lol!

I'm happy to say I've now spent some time with the handheld portion of the NeoGeo X Gold and it's as good as I hoped it was. I liked it so much that I felt compelled to share my impressions on here:

It is well built. The A,B,C and D buttons feel great and the circle pad is excellent. It's grippy and has a fantastic 8-way clickyness to it that I missed when I played my 3DS afterwards. The screen is big, clear and bright. I definately prefered playing in the original resolution rather than stretching the game to fit the screen; something you can do at any time just by clicking the R1 or R2 shoulder buttons.

Most of my time spent so far has been on Samurai Showdown II and it's a perfect reproduction of one of my favorite fighters of all time. I've sunk about 7 hours into this game since Christmas morning and I'm still jonsing for more. My big hands were less crampy after 7 hours of rocking this than they would have been after the same amount of time playing 3DS using the circle pad pro. From what I can tell, the battery is lasting about 7 hours with the screen brightness turned all the way up.

Pressing both A and B or C and D together simultainiously for Hard Punch/Hard Kick is a little bit frustrating so I'm really looking forward to picking up an extra fight stick and hooking this and World Heros Perfect up to a TV for a more authentic experience. I haven't used the arcade stick yet, but I can say it feels like quality - the buttons feel great and the stick feels sturdy and again, has a nice clickyness that I think I could easily get used to (I'm used to Sanwa JLFs). Supposedly this clickyness is a trademark of the NeoGeo. I don't remember the arcade cabinet NeoGeos that I used to play on having this clickyness but it's been a long time since I've graced an arcade.

The docking/console part looks sharp but I'm a little worried about the durability of the locking tabs and the spring switch. They seem kind of flimsy. The lack of a sturdier AC adapter plugin port is another slight quality concern.

The handheld's speakers are kind of weak. I'm going to try some headphones out when the unit is done charging. Audio quality is not a big problem for me but this may bother some people.

I sampled a little bit of Magician Lord, World Heros and a couple of the shooters but not enough to share an useful opinion other than pointing out the great visuals. Anyone familiar with NeoGeo games is probably already aware of how nice the graphics are in most of these games. I kept thinking as I was playing, "after After 20 years (or so) I finally own a freakin NeoGeo! Holy Crap!"

If I were asked to give this thing a rating after the 7 hours I've spent with it, I'd give it a 9.5/10. It's a great value. The hardware seems high quality (initially) and there are some really great titles included. The whole thing is just really well thought out and executed with respect for the brand. Owning a NeoGeo and a bunch of games is FINALLY afordable!

I'm hoping this starts a trend because I'd love to see a Saturn or a Master System type thing like this happen one day as that's the only way I could see myself adding those systems to my library at this point in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda odd that the button layout is not:
A C
B D
but
C D
A B

I'm used to the first one because weak attacks are at the top, strong is at the bottom. But it still works fine for Metal Slug. On the joystick I'm not that sure since I have to contort my index to ring fingers due to that curved button layout.

People are also complaining about lag. Is it only on the HDTVs, and isn't that a problem with some other game systems as well?

[quote name='OrangeArmy']
....I'm hoping this starts a trend because I'd love to see a Saturn or a Master System type thing like this happen one day as that's the only way I could see myself adding those systems to my library at this point in my life.[/QUOTE]

The Sega Master System was really popular in Brazil, so they did make some multi-game systems over there by tectoy. I've been waiting forever for some company to import them because they come with 132 Master System games.

http://www.tectoy.com.br/produto_interna.php?id=37

Edit: Huh... I guess there's an American one too, but it's not nearly as cool. http://stoneagegamer.com/poga.aspx

Due to questionable build quality and lack of verified future support, I just returned my Neo Geo X Gold to Amazon. It made me sad, but I feel somewhat relieved now...

Hope whoever gets it enjoys it.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Huh... I guess I need to save up and try to buy one before they're impossible to find. I didn't expect it to have a long production run, but this is a little silly. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Seems that it's just the LE.

Update: Siliconera reports that only the "limited edition" NeoGeo X units are out of production. The original report from Japanese site Gamer did not make such a clarification.

[quote name='KillerRamen']The Sega Master System was really popular in Brazil, so they did make some multi-game systems over there by tectoy. I've been waiting forever for some company to import them because they come with 132 Master System games.

http://www.tectoy.com.br/produto_interna.php?id=37

Edit: Huh... I guess there's an American one too, but it's not nearly as cool. http://stoneagegamer.com/poga.aspx[/QUOTE]
Wow, this is awesome KillerRamen! I'm going to look into this some more. Thanks!

Still havent plugged the NGX into a TV yet to see how bad the lag/tearing is but I'm still playing and loving the handheld. No regrets so far.
I'm anxious to find out what the upcoming game releases and prices will be.

Quick question for owners.

I know the arcade stick is compatible with PC/PS3 (Neo Geo Station) just curious if you can use it on X360, for Garou MotW's?

Anyone know off hand?

bread's done
Back