Metal Slug Anthology (Wii) $9.99 - Newegg

I've heard that this version had some issues and didn't have Classic Controller support, thus leaving it with almost no good control schemes (Waggle wiimote to throw grenade.).

That said, if you can't get this for PS2 or otherwise emulate these games, it's absolutely worth it to buy these. I maintain now and will until the day I die that the worst Metal Slug kicks the crap out of the best Contra. I can't love this series hard enough, even that tepid mess that was MS4.

I have this for PSP. Very good. I dare not try to think about how much money my friends and I spent playing the old Metal Slug arcade cabinets.

Note that Metal Slug 3 is kinda the best of the series but I think it is largely overrated. It has some of the series's greatest bosses but it's a kitchen sink mish-mash of everything, with half the branching paths total snooze-fests kept going just by the game's manic pace.

Just saying that in case people think they can just play MS3 and call it a series. Absolutely not, everything in this series is absolutely worth it. Even 4... even 4...

But the MAIN reason I bring up MS3 is that the XBLA version of MS3 has no auto-fire and limited continues, which means you will quite literally be mashing the fire button ALL GAME and will have a hard time ever seeing the final battle unless you get quite good. The Anthology collection has auto-fire and free play or, if memory serves, limited continues at your discretion. It doesn't have level select like MS4 and MS5 combined package on PS2 did, which is a bit sad, but it's a damn fine collection otherwise.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I've heard that this version had some issues and didn't have Classic Controller support, thus leaving it with almost no good control schemes (Waggle wiimote to throw grenade.).

That said, if you can't get this for PS2 or otherwise emulate these games, it's absolutely worth it to buy these. I maintain now and will until the day I die that the worst Metal Slug kicks the crap out of the best Contra. I can't love this series hard enough, even that tepid mess that was MS4.[/QUOTE]

It supports Gamecube controllers, so you're good if you have one of them.

And especially awesome if you have one of these bad boys:

gchori.jpg

[quote name='ncc1701p']for $10.. you have to be dumb to pass this up.. and good lord terminator.. long ass SiG[/QUOTE]

Wii version = totally gimped. No classic controller support (awful), and you have to shake the silly wiimote to throw a grenade? FAIL!

Get the PS2 or PSP version of this anthology, and play on either of those, or the Vita (for the PSP one). Don't bother with the gimped Wii version, it blows. A horrible port of a classic series, thankfully its available on other platforms in a usable format. I know, I own all the original Metal Slug games for the Neo Geo home system (except MS1, which I have a conversion of, and MS6, which never came out for the original Neo Geo).

Also, people should know that the Neo Geo X Gold is set for release in December of 2012, and looks to be a nice little system for Neo Geo games. Here's an article link:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/08/neo-geo-x/

interesting.. i never played w/ the shake the dam thing to grenade it. i set it up w/ regular button support.
terminator.. apologies. i thought the cable items displayed were part of your sig. lol

The Wii version is actually the best from a technical standpoint.

The controls aren't an issue if you just use a Gamecube controller.

I have this and it plays ok. Using the wii mote sideways isn't an issue, but shaking the controller to through grenades is a horrible choice. It throws your timing off, and grenades dont always respond the way they should at time leaving you vulnerable.

Still a great collection and its worth owning even if this is the only way you can.

They all have their issues, the Wii version has sound glitches and missing hit flashes in a lot of boss fights. Gamecube controller is the best setup, I don't think even the TvC stick works with this game.

The PS2 version has awful input lag in most of the games, especially the first few.

Basically they all suck so you're better off emulating unless you think Slug 6 is worth the $10 by itself. But from what I've heard the Wii version doesn't suffer from input delay, never played it myself so I can't confirm, but it's probably the lesser of evils. I have played the PS2 version and it's terrible.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']To everybody complaining about controls, again, YOU CAN USE A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER. Kinda why I used the bigass picture in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Of a Sound Blaster adapter cable?

[quote name='Zaku77']I wouldn't really want a gamecube controller for these either. I agree on the PS2 version being the most ideal.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't understand why that keeps being repeated. That controller is terrible for the game type.

[quote name='Slowdance']Just spend the extra 5-10 for a PS2 copy unless you want to play with a sideways wiimote.[/QUOTE]
This is my recommendation too. As much as I love Metal Slug, I regret buying the Wii version on day 1 because of the controls.

[quote name='shytface']They all have their issues, the Wii version has sound glitches and missing hit flashes in a lot of boss fights. Gamecube controller is the best setup, I don't think even the TvC stick works with this game.

The PS2 version has awful input lag in most of the games, especially the first few.

Basically they all suck so you're better off emulating unless you think Slug 6 is worth the $10 by itself. But from what I've heard the Wii version doesn't suffer from input delay, never played it myself so I can't confirm, but it's probably the lesser of evils. I have played the PS2 version and it's terrible.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if its due to a subpar TV or a 3rd party controller, but I assure you this was user error. I have played 1-4 quite extensively and there is no noticeable input lag.

My guess would be your TV.

I just talked to my girlfriend about this game. She said she has two GameCube controllers so if I notice any lag out whatever, we'll try out the GameCube controllers.

[quote name='Slowdance']I'm not sure if its due to a subpar TV or a 3rd party controller, but I assure you this was user error. I have played 1-4 quite extensively and there is no noticeable input lag.

My guess would be your TV.[/QUOTE]

20" CRT, are you referring to the PS2 port or the Wii port? If PS2, you're obviously not a Metal Slug vet. If this is the first time you've ever played the game you'll adapt to it, but for seasoned players it's there, it's noticeable, and it's game breaking. For a casual player that never has or never plans on playing at the arcade it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm a 10 year member of the neo-geo forums, many of the long time members there with the original hardware will agree that there's input delay in the PS2 version. If you don't notice it, good on you I guess.

I'd take those folks word for it. Most people never notice stuff like that. You get someone that knows those types of games in and out that says it has it... it has it.

I bought the PS2 version back when it first came out and I can confirm that a couple of the games do indeed have noticeable input lag. Metal Slug 1 got it the worst.

[quote name='Zaku77']I'd take those folks word for it. Most people never notice stuff like that. You get someone that knows those types of games in and out that says it has it... it has it.[/QUOTE]

I just want hard proof of input lag. I can feel it myself and don't doubt anyone who claims they have, I just want to be able to prove it to others.

lol I've seen devices built using LED's that can measure the amount of input delay between a button press and the in-game action. There's actually an inherent amount of delay in all systems but it's so small nobody notices.

I have nothing to gain from preaching it, but it's not my money, so I don't really care whether anyone wants to believe it, just saying what I know.

I've dumped thousands of credits into Metal Slug 1, I can't pass it on the street without playing it. If you fire the Slug cannon at just the right distance so it travels as far as it'll go and lands directly at the feet of a soldier you'll get 1,000 points instead of 100. Metal Slug 1 is the only game that features this. I know pretty much all the little easter eggs for this game, try it out.

Lag complaints
More lag complaints, page 7 links lead to other forums with even more complaints

If you haven't played the game so much that you're accustomed to certain timings you might not notice, but trust me, it's there. I've got framed posters strung all around my house that's how much of a nerd I am about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed it again. I set autonotify on this last time, but they sent me an email saying it was back in stock a while back but they linked to some other shovelware game instead.

[quote name='shytface']lol I've seen devices built using LED's that can measure the amount of input delay between a button press and the in-game action. There's actually an inherent amount of delay in all systems but it's so small nobody notices.

I have nothing to gain from preaching it, but it's not my money, so I don't really care whether anyone wants to believe it, just saying what I know.

I've dumped thousands of credits into Metal Slug 1, I can't pass it on the street without playing it. If you fire the Slug cannon at just the right distance so it travels as far as it'll go and lands directly at the feet of a soldier you'll get 1,000 points instead of 100. Metal Slug 1 is the only game that features this. I know pretty much all the little easter eggs for this game, try it out.

Lag complaints
More lag complaints, page 7 links lead to other forums with even more complaints

If you haven't played the game so much that you're accustomed to certain timings you might not notice, but trust me, it's there. I've got framed posters strung all around my house that's how much of a nerd I am about it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on the LED devices, that was exactly what I was looking for.

For the record, I'm not doubting you in the slightest bit. I was just wondering if you knew a way I could prove it to someone. Trying to convince some people I play fighting games with of input lag has been an endless headache.

[quote name='Slowdance']I'm not sure if its due to a subpar TV or a 3rd party controller, but I assure you this was user error. I have played 1-4 quite extensively and there is no noticeable input lag.

My guess would be your TV.[/QUOTE]

I've played enough ports of Metal Slug games that I can say without a doubt that some of the games in the PS2 collection have an issue with noticeable input lag, even when played on a CRT. It's almost bad enough where you can time the delay with a stopwatch.

For anyone who is thinking about getting into the series please consider getting the PSN versions. While they are considerably more expensive they're also by far the best ports available on modern consoles.

K-Marts often have this game in their dump bins for $15, for those that can't get this deal. Although I've seen it less often lately.

[quote name='adamical']K-Marts often have this game in their dump bins for $15, for those that can't get this deal. Although I've seen it less often lately.[/QUOTE]

I actually had it for that price, but I returned it because I knew it was cheaper through Newegg. I'm pretty sure it'll be a part of their clearance cycle soon. Definitely something to keep your eye out for.

[quote name='shytface']They all have their issues, the Wii version has sound glitches and missing hit flashes in a lot of boss fights. Gamecube controller is the best setup, I don't think even the TvC stick works with this game.

Basically they all suck so you're better off emulating unless you think Slug 6 is worth the $10 by itself. But from what I've heard the Wii version doesn't suffer from input delay, never played it myself so I can't confirm, but it's probably the lesser of evils. I have played the PS2 version and it's terrible.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 version has input lag?

bread's done
Back