No more Wii release in Japan?

Unless Nintendo is planning on announcing some more crap mini game collections like Motion Plus Party, then no there's nothing else coming. Dragon Quest X was the last hurrah.

Would this be the first time that games have stopped coming out for an active system? I thought that they usually waited until the next system was out before companies stopped making games for a certain system.

I thought the Gamecube had a similar fate. 9 Months of nothing and then Twilight Princess alongside the Wii release.

I doubt that they are done releasing Wii titles, with as large of an install base the Wii has both in Japan and NA. Heck, even the PS2 still has at least one title due to be released, so I expect Wii games to be made for at least another two (if not three) years, just much slower release schedules, and definitely not AAA efforts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since the Wii U will be backwards compatible, there is no real reason either existing companies or new start ups not to work on an original Wii game, as long as the concept is solid enough, there should be enough people to market it towards. I'm sure the Wii will still be cheaper to develop for than the Wii U, so always something to consider.

With the Wii U's backwards compatibility and removal of direct Gamecube game compatibility, I hope to see more AAA Gamecube games to be ported to the Wii. As a part of the "New Play Control" series.

Still waiting for Chibi Robo! for the U.S. to be re-released for the Wii.

I'd like to see these titles ported over to the Wii or Wii U:
Zelda the Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door

I figure these titles have the best chance of being ported.

I'd also like to see more "Nintendo Select" branding of AAA Wii titles
Examples:
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (Trilogy is ridiculously high at Gamestop.)
Metroid Prime 3
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

[quote name='Corvin']I thought the Gamecube had a similar fate. 9 Months of nothing and then Twilight Princess alongside the Wii release.[/QUOTE]

They did the same with the N64 as well after Conker support was dead (before it was pretty dead too) Sin and Punishment was rumored to be coming out as the last game, but Nintendo pulled the plug on the system and let it die a quiet death while they hyped up the "Dolphin".

Epic Mickey 2 is still coming out for the Wii in November, so new releases are still happening.

As for Nintento, there is always the outside chance that they could bring over Pandora's Tower.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I doubt that they are done releasing Wii titles, with as large of an install base the Wii has both in Japan and NA. Heck, even the PS2 still has at least one title due to be released, so I expect Wii games to be made for at least another two (if not three) years, just much slower release schedules, and definitely not AAA efforts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since the Wii U will be backwards compatible, there is no real reason either existing companies or new start ups not to work on an original Wii game, as long as the concept is solid enough, there should be enough people to market it towards. I'm sure the Wii will still be cheaper to develop for than the Wii U, so always something to consider.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sure Konami will be stubborn assholes and still release Beatmania on the PS2 instead of PS3. Same goes for the rest of the Bemani series with the exception of DDR.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']With the Wii U's backwards compatibility and removal of direct Gamecube game compatibility, I hope to see more AAA Gamecube games to be ported to the Wii. As a part of the "New Play Control" series.

Still waiting for Chibi Robo! for the U.S. to be re-released for the Wii.

I'd like to see these titles ported over to the Wii or Wii U:
Super Mario Sunshine
[/QUOTE]
Even though I already have it for GC, Sunshine would be perfect for a New Play Control, with the FLUDD control via IR pointer in first person mode. I'm sure they could force waggle in there somewhere as well and make it (somewhat) satisfying (like perhaps to charge up your rocket and turbo nozzles?).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd also like to see more "Nintendo Select" branding of AAA Wii titles
Examples:
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (Trilogy is ridiculously high at Gamestop.)
Metroid Prime 3
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
[/QUOTE]
It's funny, even though Nintendo released a statement saying a new price for Kirby's Epic Yarn was $19.99 (along side the lowering of SSBB and DKCR), I have yet to see any company take that new pricing into effect for their stock.

I totally agree on the Metroid Primes, just release the individual remade ones like Japan received, I don't mind paying for them individually (I really just want to play MP 2 with new control).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I want Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes ported to the Wii! I don't know how New Play Control would work at the moment.[/QUOTE]
I could see potential, still a first person view mode (especially for sniper fights), shaking the remote to tap / knock on surfaces, even the Nikita missile using either IR or tilt controls would be interesting if implemented correctly.

Though I doubt we'll ever see this one re-released, only Nintendo first party titles are likely.

It is weird that there are practically no third-party Wii games on the horizon, as understandably Nintendo is working on the successor. I think its probably a trend toward making games on handheld devices now, considering the 3DS is the one system that matters now, though the PSP still counts for some reason.

The Famitsu page says one other game is coming out, "Rodea the Sky Soldier." from Kadokawa Shoten.

[quote name='junghu']I wish we can get Pandora's Tower ........................[/QUOTE]

Ya know you could always import it? Just sayin', since it's already in English and everything. ;)

[quote name='detectiveconan16']It is weird that there are practically no third-party Wii games on the horizon, as understandably Nintendo is working on the successor. I think its probably a trend toward making games on handheld devices now, considering the 3DS is the one system that matters now, though the PSP still counts for some reason.

The Famitsu page says one other game is coming out, "Rodea the Sky Soldier." from Kadokawa Shoten.[/QUOTE]

I just looked into Rodea again a few minutes ago since I was looking to import it, then remembered that it hasn't even been released in Japan even though it's development has been completed for well over a year.

No idea when it's going to be released, suppose to be a really good game from Yuji Naka.

[quote name='uncle5555']Ya know you could always import it? Just sayin', since it's already in English and everything. ;)[/QUOTE]
You know that requires one to either modify their Wii or buy a European one, right? The Wii isn't region free.

Along with Pandora's Tower, I still wish we could've gotten the Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection. Would've been the first time we got the improved Super Famicom ports. That and it'd have been a new alternative to playing the first three games instead of emulation or tracking down the original NES and Game Boy Color carts.

[quote name='Tsukento']You know that requires one to either modify their Wii or buy a European one, right? The Wii isn't region free.

Along with Pandora's Tower, I still wish we could've gotten the Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection. Would've been the first time we got the improved Super Famicom ports. That and it'd have been a new alternative to playing the first three games instead of emulation or tracking down the original NES and Game Boy Color carts.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was something that was an obvious point that I wouldn't have to brow beat you with pointing out. ;)

I did it a few years ago and never looked back since I wanted to import games and Nintendo foolishly can't give up region locking the world. At least with the X360 most devs of games I want do not region lock them (mostly shmups) and only Atlus was stupid enough to have the (dis)honor of being the first dev to region lock one of their titles on PS3.

I probably own more imports on Wii than the other two systems, I'm not promoting hacking it either way. If you don't condone it, that's fine or don't feel comfortable doing it too, again no worries, I like having freedom to play what I want, I could hack it to play emu's and usb games but I don't, I just wanted the ability to play imports (which I should have been able to do from the get-go)

If you do, you can play lots of exclusives that never made it to the US.

A short list.

Pandora's Tower
Earth Seeker
Dragon Quest I, II & III aka Anniversary Collection
Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road
Disaster Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow
Fatal Frame IV
Fatal Frame II (remake)
Another Code R
Zangeki no Reginleiv
Dragon Quest X

The above list is nowhere near exhaustive, just the ones from older posts I did and from my personal collection, I own some of them but not all. If localized are there any massive sure fire sellers, the only one that sticks out to me is DQX, otherwise they're all niche, but even still they deserved to get a chance.

Anyway I feel a anti-NOA tirade coming on so I'll stop.

Bottom line if you mod this is some of what you can play, if not then well you can't, just showing you what's available and what your options are at this point. ;)

I thought that DQX was coming to the US (or at least that's what was said or implied when it was announced way back when)... Did I miss something?

[quote name='soonersfan60']I thought that DQX was coming to the US (or at least that's what was said or implied when it was announced way back when)... Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]
Still TBA for North America and Europe. Something tells me though that Squeenix will still release it eventually to the rest of us (or so I hope, in Wii or Wii U form). This would be similar to what they did with FFXI, giving the Japanese players a head start to not only discover the bugs, but also (if they plan on mixing the regional user bases like in FFXI) to have an established community of higher leveled players for the newbies.

Of course in this plan, nothing would come to fruition until Fall 2013 at best, Wii U would certainly be more likely the only version to come stateside.

Ok, I guess I can live with that. (I did see something online that said there were plans for Wii and WiiU versions to be released and share online portions, but it wasn't clear if this was also for U.S. market.)

[quote name='soonersfan60']Ok, I guess I can live with that. (I did see something online that said there were plans for Wii and WiiU versions to be released and share online portions, but it wasn't clear if this was also for U.S. market.)[/QUOTE]

At this late stage I would be literally shocked if we see it on the Wii, and not just on the Wii U. That's mainly because of the online needed, and out of the six Wii's my extended family owns, only mine has ever been hooked up online, so if that's the general rule for most owners, I don't see it happening.

To be honest instead of "New Play Control" Wiimakes, I would much rather have Nintendo work on HD remakes of GC games for the Wii U. Give me some HD Windwaker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime rather than some wiimote waggle BS.

[quote name='uncle5555']At this late stage I would be literally shocked if we see it on the Wii, and not just on the Wii U. That's mainly because of the online needed, and out of the six Wii's my extended family owns, only mine has ever been hooked up online, so if that's the general rule for most owners, I don't see it happening.[/QUOTE]
I wonder what the numbers were for the NA users online in Monster Hunter Tri, as that seems to be the only other comparable game in this genre available on the Wii. Right now I only use the online capabilities to upload leaderboard scores, as no game I currently own has online multiplayer.

Also I second the idea for GC (and even Wii) HD remakes for Wii U, but as with Pikmin 2, its good just to have semi-rare CG games made available on the cheap for Wii, even in the form of New Play Control.

bread's done
Back