- - - - -

U-Play $1 Daily Deals: Driver:SF, From Dust, HAWX2, Silent Hunter 5, 8/16-8/19

#61 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   12133 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

The FAQ accessed from inside the uPlay client lists a separate purchasable EDS that extends the download period to 2 years. I'm inclined to believe that the 30 day limit does exist.

So wait, are you saying if I buy it from the website I got a month but if I buy it from inside the client I get 2 years?

2969.png
go find another forum to clog up with your chunky stink
-jle7385

#62 Jon7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

The FAQ accessed from inside the uPlay client lists a separate purchasable EDS that extends the download period to 2 years. I'm inclined to believe that the 30 day limit does exist.

Well I can still download Splinter Cell Conviction through the Uplay client (can't download through the website anymore) which I bought 2 years ago for a dollar from them.

#63 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well I can still download Splinter Cell Conviction through the Uplay client (can't download through the website anymore) which I bought 2 years ago for a dollar from them.

Has it been more than two years?

#64 Jon7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Has it been more than two years?

No, it's short by 2 days, but I didn't pay the extra money for the Extended Download Service that he's talking about.

#65 jatan11t   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   560 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

You guys can look for yourself. Open uPlay client, go to Shop on the top bar, then Help next to the shopping cart. Click "What is the Extended Download Service (EDS)?" under Download Information, which gives this:

EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service"). Click here for full details about EDS.
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.

#66 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

In for HAWX 2 Deluxe for $1.

Can't wait for Driver: SF for $1. :D

#67 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Ummm, I'm downloading HAWX 2 Deluxe now - so where do the installers download to...?

EDIT:
Also, when it does an install w/ Uplay, can you tell it where to install?

#68 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

You guys can look for yourself. Open uPlay client, go to Shop on the top bar, then Help next to the shopping cart. Click "What is the Extended Download Service (EDS)?" under Download Information, which gives this:

EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service"). Click here for full details about EDS.
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.

Oh, man. That's no Steam competitor.

In for HAWX 2 Deluxe for $1.

Can't wait for Driver: SF for $1. :D

This is not the post I thought I'd see from you when opening the thread!

#69 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

This is not the post I thought I'd see from you when opening the thread!

Ummm...what do you mean by that...?

#70 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ummm...what do you mean by that...?

Installing Ubisoft DRM for a for a potentially limited download window (just finding about this myself).

#71 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Installing Ubisoft DRM for a for a potentially limited download window (just finding about this myself).

Dude, it's ONE DOLLAR.
It's a steal.
That's cheaper than a console game rental.

I already have a bunch of UPlay games from Retail or other download sites - i.e. AC2, AC:BH, AC: Rev, SC Conviction, From Dust, etc etc.

Given the 30-day limit, I'll make sure I download my game's installer and/or game folder and back it up somewhere.

If I recall, ORIGIN used to do something similar - limiting amount of time you can download/re-download a game from them.

#72 nny   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'll definitely get From Dust. Already have Driver. I'm also tempted by HAWX and Tintin, but the 30 day download thing is scaring me off a bit.

#73 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   12133 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I wasn't saying I don't believe you, with Ubisoft I would believe just about any ridiculous and obnoxious DRM scheme could come from them, I was just trying to understand it.

Anyway, I didn't buy the digital extended warranty plan or whatever the hell that crap is so I guess I will be downloading these games right away and then saving a copy somewhere.

2969.png
-jle7385

#74 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

Anyway, I didn't buy the digital extended warranty plan or whatever the hell that crap is so I guess I will be downloading these games right away and then saving a copy somewhere.

Same here.

Do you know where installers are being saved?

It doesn't look like there's an option to force it to install it anywhere w/in UPlay, either.

#75 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Dude, it's ONE DOLLAR.
It's a steal.
That's cheaper than a console game rental.

CAG above all! I'm in for them too, but it's taking a bit more attention and hoops than I expected.

#76 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8661 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

It's funny how much people bash the UPlay client requiring constant internet connection when GreenManGaming's Capsule client does the same thing.

That said, I hate it too.

Any opinions on HAWX 2? Looks like it's gotten some REALLY bad reviews (30/100 on PC Gamer) and some okay reviews (6.5/10 on IGN). For a dollar, I still feel obligated to buy it, but if it's a really crappy flight sim, a dollar could still be wasted. Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh gosh, somehow I thought this topic was still on the first page. Excuse me while I look over the last 3 pages; I'm sure HAWX has been reviewed into the ground here already.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#77 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

It's funny how much people bash the UPLay client requiring constant internet connection when GreenManGaming's Capsule client does the same thing.

That's not true. Many games require only a one time activation. HAWX 2 has always-online DRM though.

#78 Xaliqen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Has anyone tried reaching out to Ubisoft to see if they're planning on allowing certain games to activate on both Steam and U-play?

I think there are a fair number of us who won't even consider purchasing anything on U-play until they offer some kind of cross-activation with Steam.

#79 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Oooh, I figured out where installers go:

....Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\installers\[game number]

Game number = 21 for Hawx 2.

EDIT:
I'm doing the install right now...and it's a typical installer and it lets you install it wherever you want, if you do a Custom Install.
So far, so good. :)

Edited by MysterD, 16 August 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#80 UW_Shocks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   871 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Has anyone tried reaching out to Ubisoft to see if they're planning on allowing certain games to activate on both Steam and U-play?

I think there are a fair number of us who won't even consider purchasing anything on U-play until they offer some kind of cross-activation with Steam.

I would guess it's $1 to allow people to be introduced to UPlay.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#81 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

I would guess it's $1 to allow people to be introduced to UPlay.

That's my guess, as well.
For $1, it's like UbiSoft is saying - "C'mon, give Uplay a try!"

#82 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8661 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

That's not true. Many games require only a one time activation. HAWX 2 has always-online DRM though.

I actually just researched it a couple days ago. GMG's Capsule does NOT have an offline mode like Steam. This is because Capsule checks your games' validity every 3 days because of their trade-in system, and if it checks your account after you have traded in a game, it deactivates it in your account. People have complained, and there is simply no way there will ever be an offline mode for the Capsule client.

Or were you talking about UPlay?

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#83 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   12133 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Let's get real, most people here use Green Man Gaming for Steam keys thus you won't be hearing much talk about the capsule. Also I have not heard of the capsule being down for extended periods of time where you couldn't play your games. It has happened several times with UPlay to my recollection.

2969.png
-jle7385

#84 spoderman   I thought Harvey Dent said that CAGiversary!   13671 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

Let's get real, most people here use Green Man Gaming for Steam keys thus you won't be hearing much talk about the capsule. Also I have not heard of the capsule being down for extended periods of time where you couldn't play your games. It has happened several times with UPlay to my recollection.

This. I actually used capsule occasionally for necrovision and sniper ghost warrior.. but figured I don't need another client that needs to be open to play most games so I trade all of my free games in now. I have Steam and Origin for that.. I wish GMG would go the route that GamersGate took, where games don't require a client to be played.

#85 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Oh, crap!
You'll want to COPY your game's installer game folder elsewhere, before you even click INSTALL via UPlay.
Luckily, I did so - given the crap we seen G4WL pull (just like this) and Gamersgate (encrypting/decrypting setup files).
UPlay destroys it, after the install finishes - if you do the install via UPlay.

I don't know, since I ain't tried it these ideas I'll mention below yet...
But it also might be a good idea to even do installs OUTSIDE of UPlay and run SETUP file w/ UPlay closed.
[Hopefully, it'll just do the SETUP file install and it won't force open UPlay and make you install it through there - I don't know; ain't tried.]
Also might be a good idea to rename that numbered folder that contains within it all the install files.
Ain't tried any of that - but that might also worth a shot, you know?

#86 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   12133 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

So it looks like the game is installing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\installers\21

The 21 part might be random and differ for everyone else but I think the rest of it should be the same if you installed UPlay to the default location.

2969.png
-jle7385

#87 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17739 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

So it looks like the game is installing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\installers\21

Same.

The 21 part might be random and differ for everyone else but I think the rest of it should be the same if you installed UPlay to the default location.

I also got 21.
That's probably UbiSoft's ID number for HAWX 2.

Make sure you copy your installer folders elsewhere; rename them; and/or something!
UPlay destroys them, after an install through their UPlay service.
Hopefully, it works like Gamersgate - and we can do fine w/ workaround methods, avoiding any of this nonsense.

#88 FoxyPie   Better Than You CAGiversary!   14337 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Well, I'll probably DL my games just to be safe, but UPlay is a new service, those terms and conditions are from the old Ubisoft website. There is no option to purchase the Extended Download Service anymore.

Check this link out:

http://uplay.ubi.com/en-US/about/pc

#89 nategator   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   616 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I spent a little time getting myself familiar with the bungles of Uplay, the shoddy and unpatched From DustPC port, and the general goodness of Driver: San Francisco.

I am pretty sure that Driver: SF is worth a buck and I already have Uplay installed anyways. So concerns about the terrible DRM are not a major factor.

So my question is considering the condition of the From Dust port, the near impossibleness of being able to finish it, the bad controls, the limited time to install considerations, no added protection from a vendor like Amazon, etc., is it worth a buck?

#90 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8661 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Well, I don't like having more and more clients myself, but since GMG gives away games for free pretty often, I do have some games that will require Capsule to be opened. It's just worth taking into account that a trade-in system sounds good and all, but actually comes with a pretty big downside in always requiring internet connection. It is nice that they sell Steam keys too though.

Now they just need to give away Steam keys. :D

bZ2g3eF.png