CAGcast #295: Live From Gamescom, Maybe

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Darksiders II, Sleeping Dogs, Papo & Yo, Dust: An Elysian Tail are played and discussed. The gang also talks Penny Arcade Kickstarter, Playstation Cross Buy, back pain, and much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]204[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 34 minutes, 57MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Du Hust Polka/ GI Joe PSA

WTB Recommendation:
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapyD']Meloncholia
Only one person appears to die in that one. The entire Earth dies in Meloncholia and before that happens, you watch an incredibly depressing person suffer through life.
[/QUOTE]
I don't know how to word it without getting into spoilers, but you really need to watch Dear Zachary. It's depressing as shit.

Your personal stories just always make it fun to listen to. Thanks so much for entertaining my morning commute :), as always great podcast

[quote name='CheapyD']Meloncholia
Only one person appears to die in that one. The entire Earth dies in Meloncholia and before that happens, you watch an incredibly depressing person suffer through life.
[/QUOTE]

Take my challenge Cheapy, since your a father I'm sure you'll find it ten times more depressing. Not only that but you're going to Canada, where a lot of the story takes place.

Since you offered on the CAGCast, any chance you could take me out to lunch sometime, Cheapy? Maybe even smuggle me into Tokyo American Club for some foosball? Unfortunately I just left for Seoul, but I'll be back in Tokyo again in time for TGS, so maybe we could visit that amazing burger place you mentioned around that time? Cool, looking forward to it.

Also, I'm half black, so having lunch with me would do wonders for your image.

[quote name='Axersia']Since you offered on the CAGCast, any chance you could take me out to lunch sometime, Cheapy? Maybe even smuggle me into Tokyo American Club for some foosball? Unfortunately I just left for Seoul, but I'll be back in Tokyo again in time for TGS, so maybe we could visit that amazing burger place you mentioned around that time? Cool, looking forward to it.

Also, I'm half black, so having lunch with me would do wonders for your image.[/QUOTE]

Sure, shoot me a PM in September.

Wombat, totally agree with you concerning "add-in" content. It's really annoying when publishers/devs rip out content that enhanced the experience in their games.

I liked CheapyD's review of "Papo y Yo" though I would like to see some nutjob argue for alcoholism and say that games like this are giving it a bad name.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sure, shoot me a PM in September.[/QUOTE]

Oh you bet I will. You'll probably have forgotten by then but I'll make sure to remind you. Very excited you're willing to do this.

i'm loving Darksiders 2, but the dlc is crazy wonky. I have finally got the rusanov's axe dlc, the algur's tomb dlc is ready when it is available, i got the mace maximus and the van der shmash. i got the angel of death pack. i got the crucible. i still need the gamestop/amazon pre order dlc, but wow. too much dlc on day 1. most def.

and i got chaos fangs (awesome) and paudron of horseman. i had to actually put darksiders 1 in the ps3 even tho i had the saves/achievements. at least finally got it all going...

[quote name='Velo214']i'm loving Darksiders 2, but the dlc is crazy wonky. I have finally got the rusanov's axe dlc, the algur's tomb dlc is ready when it is available, i got the mace maximus and the van der shmash. i got the angel of death pack. i got the crucible. i still need the gamestop/amazon pre order dlc, but wow. too much dlc on day 1. most def.

and i got chaos fangs (awesome) and paudron of horseman. i had to actually put darksiders 1 in the ps3 even tho i had the saves/achievements. at least finally got it all going...[/QUOTE]

None of that is necessary to enjoy the game. Almost all of that just takes up space in your inventory and you'll never use it.

I've seen the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last year and started juicing early this summer. In combination of cutting out most carbs and sugar I lost over 35 pounds. I was 5' 10" 200 and now I am about 165.

I was blending the veggies (Kale Shake)
at first (tastes nasty) and that will make your bowel movements way better. One thing that will also help is digestive enzymes pills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJqqxjP84bg

Then I got a juicer (tastes amazing) and what I noticed most is being able to wake up a lot easier in the morning. (If you have it the afternoon before). It seems to get your body more rest in less hours.

I usually make apple/pear juice or add cucumber and celery.
I still juice every other day or a few hours before I go to work (3rd shift), the biggest pain is the clean up.

Check out the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead channel too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiwILcue_b8&feature=plcp

I really hope that the cross-play stuff catches on. They already do a similar thing for movies. For example, if you buy Tangled 3D, Disney gives you the 3D Blu, the 2D Blu, the DVD and Digital Copy. Valve tried something like this for Portal 2 where if you bought the PS3 version, then they'll give you the Steam version for free. For Valve, it seemed to work pretty well and the PS3 version outsold the 360 version (or at least on Amazon) and I think it convinced quite a few people to buy it at launch.

There's actually been a few examples where the PS3 version got an extra game that the Xbox 360 did not. In Dead Space 2 for the PS3, it came wiht an HD Remake of the Wii Dead Space game. Assassin's Creed: Revelations came with the original Assassin's Creed. Both the 360 and PS3 versions of Alice: Madness Returns came with the original Alice.

I think that some third parties will try these kind of incentives for some of their games, but if they do I think it will be only for first run games and I think they will probably expire if you don't download it in the first month or something. I think if they continue to do these kind of incentives will all depend on if they get more people to buy the games at the $60 launch price as opposed to waiting for it to go down to $5 or $10.

Regarding the cross-buy, I feel like the promotion is aimed at people that do not yet own a Vita but are on the fence about buying one. By buying the games I am interested in on PS3 like Playstation All-Stars and Ratchet: Full Frontal Assault, I am building a digital Vita library on the side at no additional cost. Personally, I'd find a Vita more appealing at it's current price point if I already have a library of games for it.

i use chaos fangs, just cuz the +20% critical chance and +200% critical damage. and the angel of death armor for the hp regen. thanx tho shipwreck. great show

[quote name='Jackhole85']I don't know how to word it without getting into spoilers, but you really need to watch Dear Zachary. It's depressing as shit.[/QUOTE]

Zachary has some gut-punch moments, but I found the ending to be inspirational.

The Dickwolves situation seemed to have brought out Mike and Jerry's uglier side, regardless of how you feel about that controversial comic. I recall Mike Krahulik's brother died when he was younger, so I think that may have also been a factor. But other than that, I can't comment on why they could appear cranky in their blogs.

Remind me to have you invite me out to lunch when you're in the LA area, Cheapy. :lol:

Hey Cheapy - Have you ever tried yoga for your stress? I was never a yoga person before (I'll be honest, a total skeptic actually), but a few months back, work stress caused me to be physically ill (couldn't keep food down, aches and pains, etc). Medicines didn't help, but the yoga eventually helped "fix" everything with it's breathing control, focusing & learning to relax techniques since all of the problems was basically stress/mental related. I only did "basic" yoga and zen yoga for the stress control.

for someone who has so many racially insensitive jokes throughout the years, cheapy sure has some thin skin when being compared to a stereotype himself. Im sure the poster you banned was married to a jew so its ok for him to stereotype you.

[quote name='apathylad']The Dickwolves situation seemed to have brought out Mike and Jerry's uglier side, regardless of how you feel about that controversial comic. I recall Mike Krahulik's brother died when he was younger, so I think that may have also been a factor. But other than that, I can't comment on why they could appear cranky in their blogs.[/QUOTE]

Tracing photos they found on google must be really hard work, so it's not surprising they get cranky.
i-xnxLFpg-X3.jpg
dPqvx.jpg

[quote name='greydt']Hey Cheapy - Have you ever tried yoga for your stress? I was never a yoga person before (I'll be honest, a total skeptic actually), but a few months back, work stress caused me to be physically ill (couldn't keep food down, aches and pains, etc). Medicines didn't help, but the yoga eventually helped "fix" everything with it's breathing control, focusing & learning to relax techniques since all of the problems was basically stress/mental related. I only did "basic" yoga and zen yoga for the stress control.[/QUOTE]

I thought about recommending meditation to CheapyD. I know that plenty of studies have shown that prayer or meditation really help alleviate stress levels and Cheapy doesn't seem to be into that sort of thing. Yoga can be a form of meditation and the exercises will probably help strengthen his core to help his back out.

I recommended Fat Sick and Nearly Dead to Cheapy via his twitchTV stream last week. I haven't seen it myself, but it's next on my instant queue and I'm glad it struck a chord with him.

Also who won the Hybrid give-away?

EDIT: I'm probably in the minority, but I would gladly pay an additional $3-4 a month for a better experience with PSN's online functionality. I just got a PS3 last week and I have to say that the janky-ness of setting up parties and group chats and messaging is a nightmare on PS3. I feel like xbox live enables me to play with my friends remotely, while PSN provides an inconvenient platform for me to play with my friends remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Wombat man. I'll always be a Wombat man, now and forever. But I don't think it's fair to completely write off previous systems' games like that. Sure, Sony's talking up the feature a lot more than they should. It'll inevitably reach the same state as everybody else's promise to double-dip this generation, where the A-listers that sold infinity billion copies the first time around comprise the bulk, if not the entirety of the catalog, but the broad statement that games from prior to this generation should never be unearthed again rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure there are some fans of Tomba! who'd have some choice words to say about that.

Against my better judgement, I decided to watch Melancholia today. It didn't make me depressed, probably cause I was watching it in the background while doing other stuff, but the tone of the movie seemed pretty bleak. The ending shot was pretty incredible though, heh.

[quote name='davucini']for someone who has so many racially insensitive jokes throughout the years, cheapy sure has some thin skin when being compared to a stereotype himself. Im sure the poster you banned was married to a jew so its ok for him to stereotype you.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't making a joke.

Just wanted to pop in and call out Wombat for referring to Shale(Stone prisoner in DAO) as a male... Her being female was partly why the character was so hilarious! For shame, Wombat. :lol:

I heard a review of Melancholia on NPR that referred to the film as a "Hateful Masterpiece" which remains one of my favorite descriptors in general.

I think one thing that really bugs me a little with the Penny Arcade funding is their announcement of the Strip Search show. Given the track record of this type of 'show' in terms of what happens to the participants as well as the winners, I have a sense of dread for what's going to happen to a bunch of folks who're hoping to be the next Penny Arcade, which isn't really possible anymore. I think it could potentially damage whatever positive reputation Mike and Jerry have built up over the years with stuff like Child's Play when they're put in a sort of Donald Trump role dismissing folks after they fail whatever crazy challenges these shows seem to require.

Cheapy if you move your shoulder and it hurts do you think that is in your head or due to stress? If you can say, "it hurts when I do this" about your back it is mechanical pain. Type IV mechanoreceptors (pain receptors) typically respond to 3 types of stimuli - thermal (you will be on fire or being burned), mechanical (it hurts to do certain activities or can be constant if the mechanical stress is constant), or chemical (your tissue is inflamed and this is the first part of the healing process - think the low grade lingering pain after you sprain your ankle).

In the podcast you describe mechanical stimuli that start it - bending forward and that aggravate it - rising from sitting (usually worse if the person has been sitting slouched for a long period). You are describing mechanical back pain. I recommend the book Treat your own back by Robin McKenzie so that you can better understand how this works as it sounds like you could benefit greatly from it. I will gift you the money via paypal if you will buy it and read it. Here is a quiz for you Cheapy - Do you have pain when bending forward and/or backward fully in standing? Does your pain ease when lying down? Are there consistent positions that help or aggravate your pain? Is your pain worse in the morning when you tend to be a bit stiffer? See what you think, but if it acts mechanically then your pain is probably mechanical, not in your head.

Wombat's quip about "if only there was some sort of incredible device..." was hilarious. Well played.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Tracing photos they found on google must be really hard work, so it's not surprising they get cranky.[/QUOTE]

That isn't an example of tracing. It isn't even close to tracing. It's an obvious example of using a photo as reference, which is completely acceptable.

[quote name='bickle']
That isn't an example of tracing. It isn't even close to tracing. It's an obvious example of using a photo as reference, which is completely acceptable.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like something a tracer would say.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']That sounds like something a tracer would say.[/QUOTE]

Take a couple classes in art and get back to me.

[quote name='bickle']Take a couple classes in art and get back to me.[/QUOTE]

Someone doesn't get the joke.

I've had quite a few actually, along with art history and appreciation.

You guys pretty much summed up exactly the way I feel about Penny Arcade. Of course, now you've probably brought down their wrath upon you. With all of the great, actual video game related Kickstarter projects people could have backed instead, I find it pretty disappointing that this wasn't laughed off as a joke.

bread's done
Back