Help getting a laptop?

MasaTFC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
423 (100%)
So I got back from vacation on Sunday night only to find out that someone (who happens to be my downstairs neighbor:hot::whistle2:#:cold:) stole my girlfriends laptop from our apartment, along with my Canon Rebel SLR camera/lenses and an external hd. Why the dood didn't steal my game collection only proves his stupidity concerning this whole mess.

I am not so worried about my camera or hd, but I really want to find a way to replace my girls pc. Does anybody have any suggestions (places to look, models that are cheap and quality at the same time, etc)? It doesn't have to be anything super special, as she just needs it for work and school purposes.

Any constructive help is really appreciated. Thanks! :applause:

well these are all valid suggestions, but

1. I did call the police that night. They can't go in without proof and the only proof I have is not physical. Its a long story.

2. I can't kick the guys ass or take his head because my profession is a mental health therapist. If I am arrested or involved with any charges against me, I lose my job and cant get hired in my state again for the same type of job. If it was 10 years ago, I would have already busted some skull over it.

Anywho, I still need some advice about what to do that is legal lol.

As far as the stolen items go, I'd check things like your area Craigslist and local pawn shops. If you see your stuff there report it to the police and they may even be able to track down the seller (ie your neighbor).

As far as the laptop goes, it may depend on what she does for work/school, but this deal at Best Buy is not terrible considering you get a decent enough laptop with acessories for $360.

Check sales ads and such as well. Usually you can find pretty decent notebooks on sale in August due to it being "back to School" promotions.

Like the other person stated, it depends on what she is doing for school/work. Does she use photoshop a lot? Does she run many programs at the same time? etc. Or is something basic fine since all she plans to do is email, word processing and accessing the internet

[quote name='AJVtony831']Like the other person stated, it depends on what she is doing for school/work. Does she use photoshop a lot? Does she run many programs at the same time? etc. Or is something basic fine since all she plans to do is email, word processing and accessing the internet[/QUOTE]

basically it is just word docs/ online testing and trainings. nothing fancy like photo shop stuff. she wouldn't be running a lot of programs at the same time either. basically something basic lol.

do you think it is worth waiting till xmas deals to find a cheaper deal than this back to school stuff?

thanks!

As I understand it the deals are better for computers at this time of year vs the holidays. I could be wrong though.

[quote name='MasaTFC']1. I did call the police that night. They can't go in without proof and the only proof I have is not physical. Its a long story.[/QUOTE]
You can't drop a statement like that and not expect the populace to expect backing that up.

[quote name='MasaTFC']basically it is just word docs/ online testing and trainings. nothing fancy like photo shop stuff. she wouldn't be running a lot of programs at the same time either. basically something basic lol.

do you think it is worth waiting till xmas deals to find a cheaper deal than this back to school stuff?

thanks![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you want a netbook, which luckily is low in price. Here is Best Buy's page for them to help you pick out a decent model. I have a friend with the Asus and I have an Acer netbook and I haven't heard of problems with either. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Laptop-Computers/Netbooks/pcmcat163300050051.c?id=pcmcat163300050051

Having worked in consumer electronics retail all throughout college I can honestly say that for PCs, the best time of the year to find good deals is probably back to school time, IMO the deals were best then even better than holiday time. There maybe some doorbuster deal on Black Friday that is amazing but you'll wait outside in line for hours with a chance to get maybe 1 of the maybe 10 they have in stock, but that's about the only time you encounter a better deal.

That said though, at late August we are a little bit past the normal BTS sale period as well. I still think there's decent deals to be had. Newegg is running a good deal on an ASUS for only $350 this week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230457

Depending on your state you also get free shipping & no sales tax so it's 350 out the door so to speak.

bread's done
Back