Youtube App

mr_burnzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey, this is a pretty sweet addition to the PS3. The quality is in HD and I've only encountered one freeze so far. So much better than the shit browser. Typing in text has gotta be the stupidest thing though. Hopefully they fix that or do something with it. Check it out if you haven't.

Sweet! I'm going to check it out right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I downloaded the app and I can definitely see what you mean about the search thingy. However, I do like how they give you instant results as you go. It's sort of like Google Chrome's feature. I can survive with the search thing right now, but they really do need to change it. The letter suggestions definitely help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My most wanted feature for the app is better (any) support for viewing playlists made by people you've subscribed to.

That and saving pairing with mobile phones as it's the only way I can queue up a playlist from someone I subscribed to so I can watch it.

I tried the YouTube app but didn't think the quality was HD on my 1080p HDTV. There are music videos, for example, that are available in 720p/1080p on the website but are pixelated when viewing on the PS3 app. Anyone else encounter this, or should I just try finding more HD videos? I also wish that pressing X immediately paused video playback instead of having to press it twice (once to bring up the UI, once more to pause).

[quote name='MICHAE2414'] I also wish that pressing X immediately paused video playback instead of having to press it twice (once to bring up the UI, once more to pause).[/QUOTE]

Pressing the start button will pause the video
icon_wink.gif

Like its been mentioned, I hate the typing in text part. I would've preferred the PS3's keyboard since I'm used to it but overall the app is good. Cant complain about free :)

[quote name='MICHAE2414']I tried the YouTube app but didn't think the quality was HD on my 1080p HDTV. There are music videos, for example, that are available in 720p/1080p on the website but are pixelated when viewing on the PS3 app. Anyone else encounter this, or should I just try finding more HD videos? I also wish that pressing X immediately paused video playback instead of having to press it twice (once to bring up the UI, once more to pause).[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I dunno the exact quality but I guess it was like 720p cuz it looked real nice. Doubt it was at 1080. Could have been but I dunno how to check out the quality. I also read somewhere on the internet that a smart phone has an app that can communicate with this one. Kinda works like a remote control for the youtube app but on your phone. I don't have a smart phone so I can't verify that but sounds real neat.

Played with the app some more and it's winning me over...it's certainly much, much better than YouTube through the PS3's web browser.

You do have to be signed into PSN to use the app, though. If you sign out of PSN while the app is running, it'll black out and you have to quit and restart.

The search bar is horrendous and whoever designed it should be dragged into the street and beaten, but the pairing with your phone is great I was watching some dope videos last night "Straight out of Mordor" "Head of the State" good times!

The UI is really bad, looks like Xbox 360 UI, the Search function is really BS, whoever programmed this app should be fired immediately.

Nevermind I downloaded the wrong one. I didn't realize there were two. I love it though, especially the idea that you can control your TV screen on your phone :d

[quote name='kingcz']The UI is really bad, looks like Xbox 360 UI, the Search function is really BS, whoever programmed this app should be fired immediately.[/QUOTE]
You have to use your phone bro trust me its the only way to go

D/Led this app last Thursday and haven't been able to get it to work.
When I try to play a video the control box pops up but never loads any footage.
When I hit the button to go back or home it freezes for a minute or more and eventually goes back, sometimes it locks up immediately after going back or home.
I would rather have the PS3 keyboard for searching than the carousel alphabet, that doesn't stay in the right place.
Looking forward to using this app when they release an update for these problems.

[quote name='Ashtaar']You have to use your phone bro trust me its the only way to go[/QUOTE]
Yeah, PS3 cant do everything at all, Sony lied. :lol:

It's a shame that this update seems to have made PS3youtube's video quality problems permanent, because honestly I still prefer that website's layout and functionality, even if you have to use the PS3's web browser to use it.

The carousel alphabet UI made me ragequit. The letter you have selected is somewhere in the middle of the screen (completely inconsistent from left justified with the video you have selected), indistinguishable from the rest of the alphabet by size, placement, or color. The only thing that lets you know your selection is a light grey box around tiny light white text (genius) that becomes invisible if the video you are watching in the background is also a light color at the top of the screen. It's like they said to themselves, "Yeah, scrolling through the entire alphabet is annoying, but how can we go one step further and make it as INFURIATING as possible?"

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be changing it's behavior.
At first it wouldn't work at all and lock up all the time.
Then I started to let it sit for a few minutes and it would say that the media was not authorized for my platform, even stuff that I had uploaded.
Now it sits for 3 minutes not loading, but now a new box pops up saying media error and gives me an option to go back to guide.
But it hasn't locked up for a couple of days.

I've tried using this app three times @three times each (if that makes sense). It completely locks up my system to the point i have to unplug it from the back.

This app seems so busted right now. I can get it to load videos 0% of the time. I hope they get it fixed soon because I like the idea of watching youtube on my tv through an app at a decent resolution instead of through the browser that gimps the resolution for some odd reason.

The app works perfectly for me. The thing I'd like to see addressed is making it easier to view a channel's offerings (playlists and back catalog) rather than going backwards in a somewhat linear fashion. The other issues I have are more Google's fault for the way a channel's videos are pushed back up to the top because they put it in a playlist, commented on it, or did something on a separate channel's videos that messes it up. It's hard to see if you've seen everything when things are moving around every day.

I prefer using the ps3 web browser than the app. But now if you goto youtube on the web browser, it prompts you to download the app.

The app is the worst. I also prefer using the web browser for youtube, the app as it is now is just broken beyond useability. And you can't (don't know how it knows) use youtube with the browser anymore.

Absolutely hate the fact that when you try selecting letters to search it autocompletes, I want to select a,b,c, not have it try forcing it's own words on me.

I've also been using the app without any problems....sux people having problems.

The only reason I liked using YouTube with the browser is I could still have music or video playing while I pull up the XMB to message my friends :p

The first few times I booted it up I had problems with it, first after installing it, then after pairing it with my you tube account, then it finally started working properly after the 3rd or so bootup.

I hate it when you're watching a video with multiple parts and you have to constantly go back and search for the right part. Also, I still haven't figured out how you can view a user's page.

you can easily make a playlist using your phone if it's been paired. Just put add to qeune or whatever
it'll be on your phone

Yeah noticed that as well. All I can say is I deleted the app immediately.

The app was just a nightmare. Had a friend over that I wanted to show a few clips, ended up not seeing them because it'd freeze the clips constantly while playing. I would exit the clip, restart the clip, then it'd play for a few seconds then freeze again. Just hated everything about the app.

This app is pretty much useless unless you have it paired with a tablet or something. I use it with my tab and it works so well compared to just using the controller to navigate. It even loads it quicker and is just so much smoother. Don't give up on it if you can pair it with a device to control it.

bread's done
Back