Shadow Hearts: From the New World is out! Go get it you cheapasses, it's worth it!

nachzeher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
121 (100%)
Game Info:

Shadow Hearts: From the New World is the latest instalment in the Shadow Hearts series. While its predecessors took place in Europe and Asia (SH in 1914 and SH II in 1915), SH: FtNM will take place in the USA in 1929.

The Shadow Hearts series is a series of turn based RPGs that uses real historical events as a backdrop for fantasy (often dark-themed) inspired story. The game features many real historical characters like Mata Hari, Yoshio Kawashima, Rasputin and Roger Bacon.

SH III will be released in Japan summer '05. It's roughly 70% completed. No US companies has grabbed the rights to publish it here yet. If there're any more updates I'll keep them here.

04/22

They updated the site, changed the layout of the SH II website and even resurrected the SH website. :) Never have I seen such dedication to a series that a company would partly/completely re-do the website a previous game in the series. Go Nautilus and Aruze!

Shadow Hearts: From the New World website

Shadow Hearts II website

Shadow Hearts website

Can't wait for it. Here's hoping it gets released in the NA. *crosses fingers* C'mon Midway, snatch up the rights to this baby. Atlus would be cool as well.

UPDATE (04/24):

Here's a download of the SH III trailer

Translations of the characters bio (so far) can be found here (Warning! The 4th paragraph contains SH:C spoilers!)

Some screenshots

UPDATE (04/26):

Here're some scans from the new issue of Famitsu, credit goes to gamefaqs' Bebpo for the pictures and Gamefaqs' aoiseishin for hosting it:

sh16qb.jpg

The above picture shows that Shania is the harmonixer in this game.

sh23hw.jpg

UPDATE (05/10):

Some scan from some magazine:

42013808.JPG

New scans from Dorimanga and release info, credits to BigGhostX of gamefaqs, who in turn credits maskrider (another gamefaqer)

dorimagashftnw3km.jpg

Magazine scan translation:

Yuri (Uru) : Heeeh ! She knows how to use fusions, too ?
Shania : It wouldn't be good to be related to you ...

Anastasia : Only you (are in) ! Crook !!!
Lenny (Rene) : Envy me ? kiddo

Japanese Release Info

Like SH II there will be a Limited Edition release:

Release date: July 28th
Regular Price: 7,389yen
Limited Edition Price: 12,390yen

Limited Edition contents: Special Footage DVD, Special Soundtrack CD, Johnny's special T-shirt, Keychain shaped as Shania's earring, 3 Valentine Siblings straps, Special B5-size Notebook.

UPDATE (06/24/05)

Here's the update I promised to many months ago, my bad:

shftnwfps218948xx.jpg

shftnwfps218931io.jpg

0505131214002zc.jpg

05051312272wp.jpg

05051312142ee.jpg

Translations of character's bios on shadowhearts.net:

Hilda - A Magical-girl lookalike. She's actually a 400 year old vampire and is a self-styled heroine. She uses magical sticks as weapons, her appearance changes depending on her calorie intake.

Mao - A giant of a man (i think he mistranslated this, Mao is a cat), He speaks with experience, having lived for many years. He uses a scalpel as a weapon and fights in drunken fist style.

Frank - A fake ninja. He uses ninja swords.... or rather a huge saw as a weapon. Speaks strange english and is a high-tension self-styled ninja.

Also, Famitsu reports that the development of Shadow Hearts: FTNW has been completed.

Here's the list

Armored Core: Last Raven (PS2, From Software) - 90%
Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha: Shuuen no Gingae (PS2, Banpresto) - 80%
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (PS2, SNK Playmore) - 87%
Genji (PS2, Sony) - 99%
Grandia 3 (PS2, Square Enix) - 80%
Kagero II: Dark Illusion (PS2, Tecmo) - 95 %
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, Square Enix) - 60-70%
Phantasy Star Universe (PS2, Sega) - 40%
Sakura Taisen 5: Saraba Itoshiki HitoYo (PS2, Sega) - 97%
Saru Getchu 3 / Ape Escape 3 (PS2, Sony) - 80%
Sengoku Basara (PS2, Capcom) - 95%
Shadow Hearts: From the New World (PS2, Aruze) - 100%

New characters revealed:

Baigen

12.jpg

Gerard Mazymell returns!

13.jpg

SHADOW HEARTS SET FOR SPRING '06 RELEASE

Haven't been around for much, cos of moving and settling in and all, but I thought I should pop in to share some news.

XSEED games, a company headed by former Square-Enix president, Jun Iwasaki has announced that they will publish SH: FTNW.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/652/652300p1.html

September 20, 2005 - Brand new videogame publisher XSEED Games (headed up by former Square Enix president Jun Iwasaki) has announced that it will be bringing Wild ARMs 4 and Shadow Hearts: From the New World to North American retailers in the first quarter of 2006. They're the first two titles for the fledgling publisher, whose overarching goal is to properly translate and release Japanese-based titles that should appeal to a hungry U.S. market.

"We are extremely excited to launch XSEED Games with these two quality role-playing games," said Jun Iwasaki, president, XSEED Games. "Our extensive past experience working with some of the highest quality titles in the industry has really honed our ability to spot the best in interactive entertainment. These two titles are the first of what the XSEED Games label will come to represent in bringing great entertainment to the U.S. audience. We expect both Wild ARMs 4 and Shadow Hearts to not only appeal to the existing fans of the series but also attract newcomers."

Shadow Hearts 3 has some interesting character designs...
For the unfamiliar, Shadow Hearts: From the New World is the third game in the Shadow Hearts series and is the direct follow-up to IGN's PlayStation 2 RPG of the year from 2004. Released in Japan this past June, From the New World follows new hero Johnny Garland as he joins an investigation to track down a dangerous criminal during the U.S.' Great Depression. Players can expect new adjustments to the Judgment Ring combat system (like option to execute a combo command with a second character or performing two different actions in one turn), and an all-new cast of supporting NPCs and environments previously unseen in the series before.

...Then again, so does Wild ARMs 4.
Wild ARMs 4, on the other hand, tells the story of a teenage boy who has grown up in a large sphere floating thousands of feet above the surface named Jude Maverick. When the take begins, Jude's homeland is attacked by invaders from the sky, and with help from three other teenage heroes, he sets off to stop the war of Filgaia and embrace his destiny to be something greater. The game's brand new "Accelerator" ability will allow players to manipulate time, and the high-end production values consist of cel-shaded graphics and complete voice-overs during cutscenes.

We'll have more on both of these games fairly soon (including a video interview with XSEED CEO Jun Iwasaki held last month) and have also updated the media pages for both games to celebrate the announcement.

I won't be updating anymore unless it's something big like say SH getting picked up for release in the N/A, so if anyone has anything new, just reply to the thread.

Credits

All scans and translations are credited to the people frequenting the SH: FTNW boards on gamefaqs, especially maskrider, the guy who has been supplying the SH boards with new videos and translating the latest info.

I finally have the game!

DSC00920.jpg

[quote name='onetrackmind']awesome! thanks for the update nachzeher[/QUOTE]

All in a day's work of a Shadow Hearts fanboy.

Now where are Apossum, cthcky33, Mightyslacker and Dead of Knight?

[quote name='chickenhawk']Why wouldn't this get released here? Did Covenant not do well in the States?[/QUOTE]

Got this from the SH boards on gamefaqs, take it with a grain of salt:

From NPD/TRSTS data:

Shadow Hearts: 62,301 (As of Feb. 2003)
Shadow Hearts Covenant: 58,831 (As of Feb. 2005)

From The Shrine of Data:

Shadow Hearts (JPN) - 103834
Shadow Hearts (US) - 65137

Shadow Hearts II (JPN) - 110074
Shadow Hearts Covenant (US) - 56116

And also, a producer who worked on translating SH:C for the US audience remarked that sales were less than expected despite the increased marketing and rave reviews. He's the guy who provided the SH II boards on gamefaqs with updates during the 2-3 months period prior to the release of SH: C

I really really want to play Shadow Hearts, but after the bit of playing I did of Covenant, I don't think I could take playing the original. It just....I don't know. Covenant just seems so much better between watching my friends play. Maybe I'll just skip it, especially since I can't find the original.

I seriously hope they bring this game over, as it is defintely on/near the top of my favorite RPG's of all times. At least, for New School RPG's. =)

Wow...The trailer link you posted didn't work, but I went to IGN and watched it. Looks damn good. Now here's a question for you. Is it worth playing through Covenant on my own, even though I had a LOT of major plot points spoiled for me? I've seen lots of the story sequences from my friend, and she's even spoiled Yuri's fate at the end of the game (Both endings). Should I still play through it like I want to?

[quote name='karsh']Wow...The trailer link you posted didn't work, but I went to IGN and watched it. Looks damn good. Now here's a question for you. Is it worth playing through Covenant on my own, even though I had a LOT of major plot points spoiled for me? I've seen lots of the story sequences from my friend, and she's even spoiled Yuri's fate at the end of the game (Both endings). Should I still play through it like I want to?[/QUOTE]

I'd play through it just for the battle system and fusions. If I had time I'd play it a second time. :) I loved the battle system so much that at times I enjoyed getting into battles.

Why don't you borrow your friend's copy and play it instead of buying one? (if you were planning to do that)

Is anyone else having trouble with the video download?

[quote name='stolazi']I can't get the movie download to work, either.[/QUOTE]

Try it now. I just made it link to the IGN page.

[quote name='nachzeher']You suck.[/QUOTE]

I know I know. At least I'm almost done with covenant, I just got on the second disc. So guessing from the pics the indian girl has the fusion power? Or is it the main character?

[quote name='nachzeher']All in a day's work of a Shadow Hearts fanboy.

Now where are Apossum, cthcky33, Mightyslacker and Dead of Knight?[/QUOTE]

You forgot to put me on that list. Ask MightySlacker and my .99 cent SH 1. Love how I got for such a cheap price.

I really hope this one makes it stateside and does well.

[quote name='nachzeher']I'd play through it just for the battle system and fusions. If I had time I'd play it a second time. :) I loved the battle system so much that at times I enjoyed getting into battles.

Why don't you borrow your friend's copy and play it instead of buying one? (if you were planning to do that)

Is anyone else having trouble with the video download?[/QUOTE]

Well, I really loved playing it when I played it for a bit, and I feel it may be one of those games I love owning. Plus, considering I can get it pretty cheap, I may just pick it up. I think I'll still get it. It was awesome from what they told me.

[quote name='blueweltall']I know I know. At least I'm almost done with covenant, I just got on the second disc. So guessing from the pics the indian girl has the fusion power? Or is it the main character?[/QUOTE]

The second disc will hold another 20-40 hours for you depending if you take up the sidequests. It would appear that Shania is the new Harmonixer. Though how she got her Harmonixer powers is very much beyond me.

[quote name='karsh']I really really want to play Shadow Hearts, but after the bit of playing I did of Covenant, I don't think I could take playing the original. It just....I don't know. Covenant just seems so much better between watching my friends play. Maybe I'll just skip it, especially since I can't find the original.[/QUOTE]

I actually enjoyed playing Shadow hearts more than Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I liked the storytelling and the atmosphere in SH more. However, SH: C was the clear winnder between the two in terms of graphics and battle system. My advice is to just give them both a try.

[quote name='nachzeher']Try it now. I just made it link to the IGN page.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Man, that video looks awesome. I hope SH3 makes it to the States. I just started SHC, and I'm having a blast.

Edit: So the original Shadow Hearts does not have the judgement ring battle system? I'd still like to pick it up if I could find it.

i cant wait for this game. i loved the first one and i hear the second one is better. i better get cracking on Covenant!

And the first SH does have the Judgement Ring btw.

I'll PM the following the link to this post whenever I update:

cthcky33
blueweltall
hiccupieleftovers

Let me know if you wanna be added to the list.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Thanks for putting me ont eh list nach. I so hope that Midway or anyone for that matter picks this up.[/QUOTE]

I would be really surprised if Midway didn't pick this up.

Well, one of the producers who did work on converting SH I and II to the NA version frequents the gamefaqs message board. He has given confirmation that there will not be a booth on SH from Midway at E3 this year. :?

Despite stellar reviews, sales for SH:C was pretty weak. This even when they stepped up their marketing plan. Hopefully Midway will pick this up, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

[quote name='onetrackmind']i just picked up the first shadow hearts and i love it... i hope to pick up SH C in a couple of weeks[/QUOTE]

I bought SH:C during the EB price drop a few months ago, but it was still in its shrinkwrap. Didn't want to play it before the original, which I finally bought last night. I like it so far! Story's interesting, the translation's funny, and the graphics are decent too. Can't wait to finish it so I can move on to SH:C

[quote name='nachzeher']All in a day's work of a Shadow Hearts fanboy.

Now where are Apossum, cthcky33, Mightyslacker and Dead of Knight?[/QUOTE]

checking in :)

*posting from under a pile of unplayed, unopened games*

man, I gotta finish Sh1 and get on covenant...

Hildegard sounds cool, but there's just something I don't like. My friend and I were really hoping it'd be another of the family more like Joachim, not more like Keith. But her personality sounds cool according to RPGamer. The whole thinking she's the heroine of the story makes her interesting....Still wish she was more like Joachim.

Hey guys, quick SH:C question...

My dumb self saved right after being able to choose what ending I wanted...and choosed the bad one. Can anyone walk me through the events that happened in the good ending? I can find bits and pieces on other forums. But nothing solid is available. Anyone want to tackle this? Thanks guys

Since this needs to be brought back to the top, figure I'd do a bit of an update since nachzeher hasn't posted this yet:

New Trailer

Also, there's a new ad (I think) out, that gives some wonder about this game and how Covenant ended.

shftnwfwad37ob.jpg

As far as my input, so far, here's what I think about the characters:

Johnny: Go jump off a cliff and don't come back...I already hate you.
Shania: Actually seems pretty damn cool.
Other Indian: Meh.
Ricardo: Already, I feel he may become my favorite character. He just looks awesome in the trailer.
Old man ninja: He's also looking amazingly cool, especially with his sword.
Cat: Stupid...Next.
Hildegarde: Not totally sure...Could be cool if she acts like I've heard she does.

[quote name='blueweltall']Here's some new pics

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/koudelka/shearts3/screens/shearts3ss060205b.html

That guy in the ad with the red hair kind of look lke Yuri.[/QUOTE]

To make it more interesting, my friend said the chick sorta looks like Alice, which I'm inclined to believe. Especially since the book that's name is escaping me that can control life and death is shown at some point in the new trailer. I'm beginning to think we may see the return of our favorite badass wolf-dancer.

bread's done
Back