Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

barrit

CAGiversary!
New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!
To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1616551607/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gIUO0rohq5OitYqzzq/browse/item/97427/4/0/0,a=cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!
DH14856lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Valkyria Chronicles, then Zelda, and now FF....Ugh thankfully this is a bit too much for me to justify, but I am very tempted.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']First Valkyria Chronicles, then Zelda, and now FF....Ugh thankfully this is a bit too much for me to justify, but I am very tempted.[/QUOTE]

What is the link for Valkyria Chronicles? Is it paperback? I think I am getting the Zelda and the FF.

A bit too expensive for me. While I would love to have it, I can't justify spending that much money on something that I would look at only a few times every so often.

[quote name='SMBScooby']What is the link for Valkyria Chronicles? Is it paperback? I think I am getting the Zelda and the FF.[/QUOTE]

There's actually 2 of them out already, with a 3rd coming out for VC3. All of them are paperback.

[quote name='barrit']There's actually 2 of them out already, with a 3rd coming out for VC3. All of them are paperback.[/QUOTE]

In English?(for the 3rd one)

Damn I would of loved to buy this set, got all excited when Amazon.uk (ship to US) still has it for preorder except its $108+shipping, but only $88 on Amazon : (, dident preorder

Thanks for the additional links, I updated the OP.

I didn't order it myself yet since I didn't think it would sell out from Amazon. Amazon charges tax for me now, so the other links are only about $10 more. I don't feel too bad about missing out on the $88 deal.

By the way, if it does come back in stock at Amazon, how hard is it to cancel an order from Rightstuf or Book depository? I've never ordered from either.

[quote name='barrit']Thanks for the additional links, I updated the OP.

I didn't order it myself yet since I didn't think it would sell out from Amazon. Amazon charges tax for me now, so the other links are only about $10 more. I don't feel too bad about missing out on the $88 deal.

By the way, if it does come back in stock at Amazon, how hard is it to cancel an order from Rightstuf or Book depository? I've never ordered from either.[/QUOTE]
For BD you have to email them to cancel the order.

Hmm... I wonder if they could make a smaller paperback version without the signatures for less than $40?

This is really nice and all, but out of my price range. Even if I were to raise the funds, this limited edition will be long gone by then.

preordered from Amazon as soon as this thread popped up. Thanks for the heads up, glad I did now. Will be an early birthday present for myself.

When looking this up I found a site that had pics of all the stuff. It was a Japan edition from 2006 I think. Everything here looks the same. People were importing this from $400-600 from this forum I saw. Set looks solid for the price.

This is being released by Dark Horse and was in Previews back in June I believe. It is scheduled to come out 10/31 along with Amano's first graphic novel: Deva Zan! I am anxiously awaiting both titles!

Well, no loss from me..I'm sure most of the people that bought it will flip it on ebay. If it was priced like the Zelda Art book, maybe I would've bitten, myself. I can see this collecting dust on my collector's shelf, after glancing once only, had I bought it. Hard to resist the urge to buy :p

The main reason this is so expensive is because they know people will buy it regardless of price because it's Final Fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a gorgeous artbook, but still.

[quote name='morrodox']The main reason this is so expensive is because they know people will buy it regardless of price because it's Final Fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a gorgeous artbook, but still.[/QUOTE]

I own several art books by Amano that are full of gorgeous, inspiring artwork, and the prices were not near as reasonable as this three book set, so I don't think this is quite the case.

[quote name='morrodox']The main reason this is so expensive is because they know people will buy it regardless of price because it's Final Fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a gorgeous artbook, but still.[/QUOTE]

I actually think its cheap, since its 3 huge artbooks essentially. Books are not cheap.

[quote name='Gosha']I actually think its cheap, since its 3 huge artbooks essentially. Books are not cheap.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is a very nice set of 3 art books plus an additional interview book and a bunch of other stuff! I'm a lifelong fan so this is absolutely worth purchasing.

I preordered this waaaayyyy back when it was first announced back in January 2011. Was able to preorder it at Barnes and Noble for $35 (their online preorder price + 50% off coupon). I've been waiting a loooonnngggg time for this. Can't wait!

I dunno... I already have the other Final Fantasy Amano artbook that Dark Horse put out (Dawn) and I barely look at it. Plus I have a ton of artbooks now thanks to Udon, and am starting to realize that I don't have the shelf space...

[quote name='Gosha']My Book Depository order was just cancelled. Kind of pissed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they took it off their site afterward. Amazon UK is list price after shipping and conversion so I guess I'll see if any local shops will be carrying it.

Has anyone received theirs yet? I had a pre-order at Right Stuf, but I ended up cancelling. Just way too many things coming out this month and next month.

I already see a couple third party sellers on Amazon who cranked up the price, so I assume they were already shipped out.

Is this available for preorder anywhere other then Amazon UK now? I might ask my local comic shop if they can order it.

Order was cancelled by Book Depository. Last time I'm shopping from there; disgusting service all around, with slow shipping.

At this point I'd not be surprised by another delay. I've never bothered tracking comic publisher/distributor solicitations before but Dark Horse is not impressing me with this product release.

I put in an order at mycomicshop.com at list price, free shipping. Only 1 remaining in stock. We'll see if they actually have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ionotropic']i'm kind of glad mine got canceled from BD. i need the money for so much other stuff right now.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I'm not happy is because you can't seem to really buy it anywhere else. I'd of probably preordered off rightstuf if I had known.

[quote name='Ionotropic']i'm kind of glad mine got canceled from BD. i need the money for so much other stuff right now.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that cancellation leaves behind a foreign transaction fee which I'm not expecting to get back without a battle.

Just got mine in. Looks solid and I seemed to have lucked out with the corners. I preordered on a whim but the release date crept up on me before I could cancel. I have been trying to save money though so I will have to flip it instead.

Shame really, I have wasted plenty of money on artbooks and I rarely come back to any of them except for the original Megaman series.

[quote name='Verelios']Order was cancelled by Book Depository. Last time I'm shopping from there; disgusting service all around, with slow shipping.[/QUOTE]

Same, and they still have it open for pre-orders.

[quote name='Zaku77']Isn't that fee like $2? Is it even worth trying to get that back?[/QUOTE]
$3? Maybe, maybe not. Another $3 on the refund transaction (not sure if that will be the case or not)? I think so. I wouldn't be spending the rest of my week on the task, but I'll certainly be firing off an unpleasant email that they can respond to or ignore. It's all relative, but I don't generally relish the idea of just throwing money away, period.

Aside from the fact that any business generally wants to avoid refunds (they're already eating $3 on the transaction), this is why you don't generally charge a customer before you have the item.

They actually wrote me an email that said to check back because they were working to get the item. Yeah, I will definitely pay yet another fee to maybe buy it.

bread's done
Back